What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Oliver is the best thing on TV. (3 Viewers)

It would be funnier if there was a chance in hell this or any administration would stand up to the cable industry.

Oliver's schtick is growing on me. It's basically The Daily Show meets 60 Minutes. Much longer and more intentionally informative segments. Still mocking and funny, but it's almost tangential to the actual reporting where TDS reporting is tangential to the funny and mocking.

Oliver's schtick is growing on me. It's basically The Daily Show meets 60 Minutes. Much longer and more intentionally informative segments. Still mocking and funny, but it's almost tangential to the actual reporting where TDS reporting is tangential to the funny and mocking.
Obama is horrible on this issue. His FCC head is a paid cable hack lobbyist.
:goodposting: s

I haven't seen such a terrible appointment since he tagged Official Monsanto Pleasure Slave Tom Vilsack as Ag Sec. Except for all the others that were equally bad, of course.

If I weren't such a patriot, I'd begin to believe that maybe corporations have disproportionate influence in our government.

I agree, that we should update the term from 'net neutrality' to 'Preventing Cable Company ####ery'.

Meh, at the end of the day none of those comments mean anything.

Congressmen will still get contributions from cable lobbyists, and that helps re-elections. The people sending in comments now, don't contribute, nor will they likely remember this issue the next election - so voting for the cable companies = better chance of reelection.

Someone needs to start a Lobby Group for John Q. Public.

Congressmen will still get contributions from cable lobbyists, and that helps re-elections. The people sending in comments now, don't contribute, nor will they likely remember this issue the next election - so voting for the cable companies = better chance of reelection.

I don't know, didn't they get like 8 complaints from viewers when Tina Turner's titty popped out during the Super Bowl and sweeping legislation ensued?

I don't know, didn't they get like 8 complaints from viewers when Tina Turner's titty popped out during the Super Bowl and sweeping legislation ensued?
They got like half-a-million I thought - and it was led by some kind of morality lobby group. People who had never heard of the Super Bowl were calling in to complain...

In addition, the FCC received nearly 540,000 complaints from Americans,[14] with the PTC claiming responsibility for around 65,000 of them.[74] In its appeal to the Third Circuit Court, CBS disputed how many of the complaints were filed by individual, non-organized viewers.

These comments will probably never be read, or even recorded. They will be part of the public record, but nobody will care.

The Supreme Court has spoken - whoever has the most money, has the oldest voice in American politics.

Unless you can threaten to withhold significant money or votes, your "voice" does not matter.

We need to figure out a way to get fast internet to people without fiber lines and then we can blow up these companies imo

…We need you to get out there, and- for once in your lives- focus your indiscriminant rage in a useful direction! Seize your moment, my lovely trolls! Turn on caps lock and fly my pretties! Fly! Fly!...
:lmao: :cry: :lmao: :cry: :lmao:

They got like half-a-million I thought - and it was led by some kind of morality lobby group. People who had never heard of the Super Bowl were calling in to complain...
Ah. For some reason I thought the "outrage" was way more overblown than that.

We need to figure out a way to get fast internet to people without fiber lines and then we can blow up these companies imo
Nokia already has the tech to transmit broadband speeds over mobile towers. But then we'd just have ATT/mobile providers trying the same thing as Comcast.

Maybe Facebook & Google's ventures into hot air balloons and low orbit satellites can chip away at the provider monopoly, but that's years and billions of $ away.

Last edited by a moderator:
"No political appointees in an Obama-Biden administration will be permitted to work on regulations or contracts directly and substantially related to their prior employer for two years. And no political appointee will be able to lobby the executive branch after leaving government service during the remainder of the administration."
He's broken both sides of this campaign promise.

"Make no mistake: We need to end an era in Washington where accountability has been absent, oversight has been overlooked, your tax dollars have been turned over to wealthy CEOs and the well-connected corporations," Obama said at an Oct. 1 campaign stop in Wisconsin. "You need leadership you can trust to work for you, not for the special interests who have had their thumb on the scale. And together, we will tell Washington, and their lobbyists, that their days of setting the agenda are over. They have not funded my campaign. You have. They will not run my White House. You'll help me run my White House."
FCC Chair Tom Wheeler raised a half-million dollars for Obama in both campaigns and spent six weeks working Iowa for Obama '08.

…We need you to get out there, and- for once in your lives- focus your indiscriminant rage in a useful direction! Seize your moment, my lovely trolls! Turn on caps lock and fly my pretties! Fly! Fly!...
:lmao: :cry: :lmao: :cry: :lmao:
I :cry: :lmao: when he goes, "Comcast has figured it out, put what you're trying to do within something boring and no one will ever notice. Apple could embed Mein Kampf in the middle of the End User License Agreement when a user wants to install iTunes, and not a single person would ever notice before hitting 'Accept'."

My favorite part was about how horrible having real life friends was before social media; you couldn't just tap people on the head to make them go away.

The awesome thing is that that clip is on the official YouTube channel of John Oliver's show, there for free, for anyone to watch. Most TV stations would not only refuse to post a 13-minute clip from a half-hour show, but they'd scour YouTube for others posting much shorter clips and have them deleted.
:goodposting: I don't think many media/entertainment understand the value of free publicity.

Nokia already has the tech to transmit broadband speeds over mobile towers. But then we'd just have ATT/mobile providers trying the same thing as Comcast.

Maybe Facebook & Google's ventures into hot air balloons and low orbit satellites can chip away at the provider monopoly, but that's years and billions of $ away.
Wont work out that way ACME. Right now its a matter of who has access to the physical lines in the ground. The govt only allows 1.

Without lines and with towers then all the different competitors can get into the competition at any time.

While this video is entertaining, it's also really misleading. The FCC had strict net neutrality rules in place that were recently overturned in the Verizon decision, meaning that there aren't currently restrictions on what ISPs can and can't do. It's not like the FCC's new rules are a scaling back of rules that are currently in place; the Verizon court obliterated the net neutrality rules and the FCC had to start largely from scratch.

Anyone wanna bet me that this mother ####er gets a HUGE job with one of the major carriers when he steps down?

This kind of #### has gone on for ages. The difference is that it is far more exposed than before.

This guy is pure slime.

Anyone wanna bet me that this mother ####er gets a HUGE job with one of the major carriers when he steps down?

This kind of #### has gone on for ages. The difference is that it is far more exposed than before.

This guy is pure slime.
To be fair, the current chairman has already had the jobs that 2 of the previous FCC chairmen now hold. But I'm sure being the head of lobbyist groups has nothing to do with his decision making now.

Daily Show has gotten a lot worse at that. However, the real problem with the show is the pompous interviews that they can't fit into the ####### timeslot.

Wont work out that way ACME. Right now its a matter of who has access to the physical lines in the ground. The govt only allows 1.

Without lines and with towers then all the different competitors can get into the competition at any time.
But it's pretty clear that Google is trying to become a provider and bypass the monopoly. Google, esp Youtube, sees this as a major threat to their future profits. Google Fiber is already up and running in KC.

So if Google can deploy balloons as their radio infrastructure across the entire US and offer broadband, then I don't see how the government can regulate that. Isn't that how the Dish network gets around the regulations and is in every major market?

Yup. HBOGO is flawless, playable on any device and contains their entire library as well.

GB HBO. They get it.

Users who are viewing this thread