What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James White, NE (3 Viewers)

Getting back to what I mentioned earlier, training camp has not really been an indicator of what plays out in the regular season. One year, Maloney wasn't running with the ones . . . and then went out on opening day and was the lead back. Vereen had one camp where he was the guy . . . and then barely touched the ball in the regular season. BJGE has had years where he played with the starters and others with the back ups and ended up being the lead back. The point being, they may just be seeing what they have in White and how he fits in. They may be planning to use him quite a bit. They may be praising him to basically send a shot across the bows of Vereen and Ridley. Bottom line, we just don't know what it means, as the Pats have been all over the map with what they've done with their backs in training camp.
This insight has my attention...

But given almost universally positive reports thus far, I'm really surprised we aren't seeing White's rookie draft ADP come up (same with Jerick McKinnon in Minnesota).

Every year there are later round (rookie draft) prospects who ascend to relevance. Pinpointing them and acquiring can give you a big advantage in dynasty. Just over the last couple of years I've seen guys like Demarco Murray, Andre Ellington, Alfred Morris, Denarious Moore, Terrence Williams be drafted well after the first round of rookie drafts and be fantasy producers. Just have a feeling White can be one of those type players.

"Hard to miss rookie running back James White getting some reps on the goal line"…

​I want to make you the GM or HC for New England, you drafted this kid, what would you have him do in practice? Please understand that I am not being a smartie here or play a 1-up game, not even close. What I'm asking is what would you expect the Pats to do with the rookie? I expect him to get a lot of work in camp, they know what they have with Ridley and I expect Ridley to start the season in the lead role between the Tackles and goal line initially. But I also feel White will make his presence felt by the end of the season which makes a 6th round ADP on Ridley and a mid teen round ADP on White makes for an easy draft both of them.

I'm optimistic about White but not unless Ridley really Fs it up be it fumbles or ineffectiveness at finding holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hard to miss rookie running back James White getting some reps on the goal line"​I want to make you the GM or HC for New England, you drafted this kid, what would you have him do in practice? Please understand that I am not being a smartie here or play a 1-up game, not even close. What I'm asking is what would you expect the Pats to do with the rookie? I expect him to get a lot of work in camp, they know what they have with Ridley and I expect Ridley to start the season in the lead role between the Tackles and goal line initially. But I also feel White will make his prince felt by the end of the season which makes a 6th round ADP on Ridley and a mid teen round ADP on White makes for an easy draft both of them.

I'm optimistic about White but not unless Ridley really Fs it up be it fumbles or ineffectiveness at finding holes.
Why are you directing this response to me? I didn't write the article! The reason I posted this was I think it goes against the notion that this guy is just a pass catching back. I studied sevar Rb during NFL draft he was one of my favorites. When I heard people calling him a recieving back or a Vereen clone I didn't see that at all I see Matt Forte I see a do it all Rb. I also posted this to notice he's running with the 2nd team and getting goalline carries. Heading into Fantasy draft season I think this is relevant info. The backup Rb for New England is a valuable position. We all kno Ridley is a fumble away from the bench Vereen gets hurt! White is a combo back he's a injury away from real oppurtunity. Steals like him sometimes can help you win your league!

Again, there was a reason he forced splits with this years favorite Montee Ball, and everyone's dynasty darling Melvin Gordon..... He's really good at doing all of the things entailed in being a running back. In May I got him at 4.8.... in July I pulled the trigger at 3.10 to make sure he didn't get sniped. Maybe im overselling but opinions and speculation are paet of the fun of this Hobby

Again, there was a reason he forced splits with this years favorite Montee Ball, and everyone's dynasty darling Melvin Gordon..... He's really good at doing all of the things entailed in being a running back. In May I got him at 4.8.... in July I pulled the trigger at 3.10 to make sure he didn't get sniped. Maybe im overselling but opinions and speculation are paet of the fun of this Hobby
I think he's tremendous if you're talking dynasty -- you really have no idea if either ridley or vereen will be around next year.

I don't play dynasty, so maybe you can fill me in --- what would be the gap between, say, a michael, hyde, or freeman and white?

"Hard to miss rookie running back James White getting some reps on the goal line"​I want to make you the GM or HC for New England, you drafted this kid, what would you have him do in practice? Please understand that I am not being a smartie here or play a 1-up game, not even close. What I'm asking is what would you expect the Pats to do with the rookie? I expect him to get a lot of work in camp, they know what they have with Ridley and I expect Ridley to start the season in the lead role between the Tackles and goal line initially. But I also feel White will make his prince felt by the end of the season which makes a 6th round ADP on Ridley and a mid teen round ADP on White makes for an easy draft both of them.

Why are you directing this response to me? I didn't write the article! The reason I posted this was I think it goes against the notion that this guy is just a pass catching back. I studied sevar Rb during NFL draft he was one of my favorites. When I heard people calling him a recieving back or a Vereen clone I didn't see that at all I see Matt Forte I see a do it all Rb. I also posted this to notice he's running with the 2nd team and getting goalline carries. Heading into Fantasy draft season I think this is relevant info. The backup Rb for New England is a valuable position. We all kno Ridley is a fumble away from the bench Vereen gets hurt! White is a combo back he's a injury away from real oppurtunity. Steals like him sometimes can help you win your league!
Because I am sitting in front of a computer screen instead of across the bar face to face :hifive:

I appreciate the response, wasn't directed at you individually.

Redrafts wise this year I think he's very close to Freeman, Michael. Hyde looks to have a bump in value with guys getting hurt. Dynasty wise I'd take Michael and Hyde any day over White, but with that said Hyde costs you a first rookie pick while White is still a major value right now.

James White - RB - Patriots
ESPN Boston says it looks like fourth-round RB James White will "be a significant part of the team's attack -- on all three downs."
This is our third James White post in the last 24 hours, so you know he's buzzing at Pats camp. Bill Belichick has raved about him, he's gotten goal-line reps and now top beat man Mike Reiss is jumping on board. As a direct backup to both Stevan Ridley and Shane Vereen, White would have some deep-league flier appeal.

Source: ESPN Boston
Aug 1 - 10:44 AM

Because I am sitting in front of a computer screen instead of across the bar face to face :hifive: I appreciate the response, wasn't directed at you individually.
Lmao cool

It's a good thing he gave up his NBA dreams for football. He can also dive pretty far for extra yards given that he could do 360 windmill dunks from the free throw line.

In all seriousness I think he will at worst be the starter next year and is a great investment in keeper leagues. I'll probably target him in all leagues but definitely in keeper leagues.

"Hard to miss rookie running back James White getting some reps on the goal line"…

​I want to make you the GM or HC for New England, you drafted this kid, what would you have him do in practice? Please understand that I am not being a smartie here or play a 1-up game, not even close. What I'm asking is what would you expect the Pats to do with the rookie? I expect him to get a lot of work in camp, they know what they have with Ridley and I expect Ridley to start the season in the lead role between the Tackles and goal line initially. But I also feel White will make his presence felt by the end of the season which makes a 6th round ADP on Ridley and a mid teen round ADP on White makes for an easy draft both of them.

I'm not a Pats fan, but it's impossible to not see them a handful of times per year on the tube. I think you may be underestimating how that team plays at the goalline. I distinctly remember numerous times where Brady and the team would rush up to the LOS after a long completion, handing it off to whomever happened to already be in the game at RB, and scoring before the D was able to reset.

They don't often bring in the heavies and line up to smash you in the mouth. A RB that can do it all (catch, run, block) fits flawlessly in that no huddle approach. By accounts so far, White can do that.

Now just stay quiet about him for another week so I can sneak him through a couple rounds in my August rookie draft.

It's a good thing he gave up his NBA dreams for football. He can also dive pretty far for extra yards given that he could do 360 windmill dunks from the free throw line.

In all seriousness I think he will at worst be the starter next year and is a great investment in keeper leagues. I'll probably target him in all leagues but definitely in keeper leagues.
So at worst he's the starting running back on likely one of the best offenses in the NFL next year?

So at worst he's the starting running back on likely one of the best offenses in the NFL next year?
I meant at least. Thanks English professor!!!111

What's the best case scenario for comparison?

Poor man's Shady McCoy...... his highlight mix shows great lateral open field moves. Has similar height weight profile..... believe their 40's were similarly disappointing.

I said last week I thought he only had value as a Vereen handcuff (which is the only place I own him). If this buzz is any indication, I missed on that one.

Those that are very Pro-James White, what are you running up for attempts and yardage for Ridley? Are you just tossing him aside? Any chance the incumbent can start the season as the lead RB?

Still think Ridley is lead back but leash may be smaller than what I expected.... 215/850/7 feels like conservative proj for Ridley as things stand right now..... however if White is for real when pre-season rolls around I would not be shocked for him to force a greater split..... how much has Ridley's success been scheme reliant? What if White shows more in all phases. Lots of variables in their backfield but that's what makes him such an intriguing lotto ticket.

:lmao:

That doesn't make it any better.

As a pats fan, I don't know what to think of Ridley. I think he can put up the 1200+ yards again, or fumble away the 2014 season. I expect the team not to extend him, and then I like the value in 2015, when he lands on another team that might tolerate his fumbles more.

:lmao: That doesn't make it any better.
Look, in my opinion it will be running back carousel in New England this year. White will show glimpses that he can be the main guy and will have some good games but won't end up the workhorse this year. He'll make a good impression this year and gain the trust of the coaching staff. Vereen probably will sign elsewhere next year and Ridley will confirm that he was average at best. By default, White will be the lead dog next year. Thus, I think he has more value in a keeper league for this year's draft.

Best case scenario he takes the reigns this year. Worst case he does not take the reigns this year but does next year. I think the latter is what will happen. Does that clarify it better for you?

Sorry, but I've seen this movie. Every year people go out of their way to assume that the Patriots and their giant brains have stolen yet another super sleeper, based largely over the fact that they did ONCE about five years ago with Gronk and Hernandez. Ever since then, everyone watches them like a hawk to see what rabbit they pull out of the hat.

But in reality, there was this much buzz going on about Thompkins and Boyce and Sudfield last year. And before that it was Bolden and even the Vareen/Ridley debate. And for what seems like 10 years, its been Mallet and Hoyer.

TO date, none of those guys have been TRUE impact in the ways it seems it is always hyped up. So I temper my expectations. Could it happen? Sure. But its probably every bit as likely this guy becomes a game-day inactive 12 weeks of the year or ends up as special teams gem.

:lmao: That doesn't make it any better.
Look, in my opinion it will be running back carousel in New England this year. White will show glimpses that he can be the main guy and will have some good games but won't end up the workhorse this year. He'll make a good impression this year and gain the trust of the coaching staff. Vereen probably will sign elsewhere next year and Ridley will confirm that he was average at best. By default, White will be the lead dog next year. Thus, I think he has more value in a keeper league for this year's draft.

Best case scenario he takes the reigns this year. Worst case he does not take the reigns this year but does next year. I think the latter is what will happen. Does that clarify it better for you?
Yes, you have already handed a late 4th round pick who has yet to touch the football in even a preseason NFL game the starting gig for next year- and that's your worst case scenario for him. That's not even on the same planet as his actual worst case scenario.

I'd say worst case scenario is a Zombie epidemic where he gets turned really quickly without being able to do anything heroic with a crossbow or ninja sword, and he is doomed to walk the earth feeding on human flesh.

mrnick33 said:
I'd say worst case scenario is a Zombie epidemic where he gets turned really quickly without being able to do anything heroic with a crossbow or ninja sword, and he is doomed to walk the earth feeding on human flesh.
Bravo brother

Redrafts wise this year I think he's very close to Freeman, Michael. Hyde looks to have a bump in value with guys getting hurt. Dynasty wise I'd take Michael and Hyde any day over White, but with that said Hyde costs you a first rookie pick while White is still a major value right now.
I would think his value is much higher in dynasty given the contract situations of Ridley and Vereen. But redraft? That is a crowded backfield with Ridley/Vereen/Bolden and two rookies - White & Houston. Add to that the unpredictability of the head coach and I think Freeman, Michael and Hyde are much more valuable in redraft.

Freeman is probably the closest to an opportunity, with Michael and Hyde in a part time role at least with the chance of a greater role in the event of injury. White's path seems less clear.

Shutout said:
Sorry, but I've seen this movie. Every year people go out of their way to assume that the Patriots and their giant brains have stolen yet another super sleeper, based largely over the fact that they did ONCE about five years ago with Gronk and Hernandez. Ever since then, everyone watches them like a hawk to see what rabbit they pull out of the hat.

But in reality, there was this much buzz going on about Thompkins and Boyce and Sudfield last year. And before that it was Bolden and even the Vareen/Ridley debate. And for what seems like 10 years, its been Mallet and Hoyer.

TO date, none of those guys have been TRUE impact in the ways it seems it is always hyped up. So I temper my expectations. Could it happen? Sure. But its probably every bit as likely this guy becomes a game-day inactive 12 weeks of the year or ends up as special teams gem.
Thompkins flat out blew his opportunity to be more than he turned out to be. The Sudfield hype was fueled by the media wanting him to be the Hernandez replacement. Can't speak to Vereen and Ridley but I think they have turned out to be serviceable fantasy assets. Mallet and Hoyer never stood a chance due to situation (much like Gerhart) so who really knows about them. The fact of the matter is, James White is getting a lot of hype. Not just media hype but from actual Patriots decision makers. Huge difference. Many people will look at this situation as "same old Patriots" hype. But if this turns out to be more than that, it will be a huge opportunity missed. There is clearly smoke here and I will be ready with my marshmallows just in case this erupts into flames.

mrnick33 said:
Worse case scenario is he meets a Kardashian on the same day he is traded to Jacksonville.

Someone likes him in my dynasty league. Offered me trent richardson and a second for him and a first.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats:

http://espn.go.com/b...nd-nfl-pats-189

Excerpt:

Rookie running back James White has been one of the bigger surprises in Patriots training camp, drawing praise from head coach Bill Belichick and Brady, among others. The message has come through clearly -- it’s not just what White is doing on the field, it’s also his steady approach off it as he has adjusted well to an extremely demanding and disciplined program. Why has White had such a smooth transition? Consider that his father Tyrone was a longtime police officer in Miami and his mother Lisa worked as a probation officer, and it gives a feel for the type of solid foundation White had in his formative years.

James White putting heat on Stevan Ridley?

James White | NE

(August 4, 2014 10:43 AM EDT)

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss suggests fourth-round pick James White could be threatening Stevan Ridley for early-down carries.

Reiss wrote that he's "starting to wonder" if White "might cut into some of Ridley's early-down workload," and says it's "notable" how many practice reps White has received, "especially on the goal line." In his latest 53-man roster projection, Reiss appears to place White ahead of Ridley on the depth chart, and directly behind Shane Vereen. White lacks the power of 225-pound Ridley, but offers more versatility and is already a coaching staff pet. He's someone to consider late in re-draft leagues. Ridley remains a volatile middle-round fantasy pick.

SOURCE:

ESPN BOSTON

James White | NE

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss suggests fourth-round pick James White could be threatening Stevan Ridley for early-down carries.

Reiss wrote that he's "starting to wonder" if White "might cut into some of Ridley's early-down workload," and says it's "notable" how many practice reps White has received, "especially on the goal line." In his latest 53-man roster projection, Reiss appears to place White ahead of Ridley on the depth chart, and directly behind Shane Vereen. White lacks the power of 225-pound Ridley, but offers more versatility and is already a coaching staff pet. He's someone to consider late in re-draft leagues. Ridley remains a volatile middle-round fantasy pick.

SOURCE:

ESPN BOSTON
This is a real interesting story to follow...for as good as White has looked in camp the word is Vereen looks fantastic...I just don't see Vereen not being a very big part of this offense if he can finally stay healthy...as far as real football goes the Pats have a chance to have a real nice backfield this year...there's a lot of quality young talent there...

James White | NE

SOURCE:

ESPN BOSTON
This is a real interesting story to follow...for as good as White has looked in camp the word is Vereen looks fantastic...I just don't see Vereen not being a very big part of this offense if he can finally stay healthy...as far as real football goes the Pats have a chance to have a real nice backfield this year...there's a lot of quality young talent there...
Absolutely but Vereen is not a threat in the run game, at least so far in his career. A few hand offs but his main returns are on reception totals out of the backfield. Ridley and White are going after a different piece of the pie IMO.

James White | NE

SOURCE:

ESPN BOSTON
Absolutely but Vereen is not a threat in the run game, at least so far in his career. A few hand offs but his main returns are on reception totals out of the backfield. Ridley and White are going after a different piece of the pie IMO.
In all honesty I think the original thought when they drafted White was he could eat into Vereen but appears it is Ridley who may lose some touches...

Due to the Wilson news, I now have an open spot in my "Flyer -- soon to be kicker" spot in one of my redraft leagues so I think I'll pick this guy up and see if it ends up being all hype or there is some substance to all this talk.

Love this guy in dynasty and think he will make a great late rd pick in redraft

Boston said:
mrnick33 said:

James White | NE

SOURCE:

ESPN BOSTON
Do you have a link to reports of this? I've got Vereen as a potential keeper, and I would love to see him being the "main" RB in NE this year, but I haven't been able to find any substantial news on him thus far.

Thompkins flat out blew his opportunity to be more than he turned out to be. The Sudfield hype was fueled by the media wanting him to be the Hernandez replacement. Can't speak to Vereen and Ridley but I think they have turned out to be serviceable fantasy assets. Mallet and Hoyer never stood a chance due to situation (much like Gerhart) so who really knows about them. The fact of the matter is, James White is getting a lot of hype. Not just media hype but from actual Patriots decision makers. Huge difference. Many people will look at this situation as "same old Patriots" hype. But if this turns out to be more than that, it will be a huge opportunity missed. There is clearly smoke here and I will be ready with my marshmallows just in case this erupts into flames.
I will believe all this White stealing from Ridley business when I see it. The Patriots and their beat writers have burned me way too many times with pre-season hype. Every year in Patriots camp, for whatever reason, fantasy people fall in love with some player getting hyped up like crazy, and the majority of the time the player doesn't live up to expectations. You can convince yourself this case differs from all the rest, but I don't buy it. After all, there's an old saying in Tennessee....

Don't get me wrong, I like James White. He makes a great late round player in a startup draft. But all this talk drives his price up to ridiculous levels - he just went in round 12 of my recent startup. I won't get him until (if) this bubble deflates. Ultimately I might get him cheaper yet. It seems when a player fails to live up to great expectations, his value falls further than even the original price.

Boston said:
mrnick33 said:

James White | NE

SOURCE:

ESPN BOSTON
Do you have a link to reports of this? I've got Vereen as a potential keeper, and I would love to see him being the "main" RB in NE this year, but I haven't been able to find any substantial news on him thus far.
I seriously doubt he's the "main" back.

Boston said:
mrnick33 said:

James White | NE

SOURCE:

ESPN BOSTON
Here's something recent...also been hearing it either thru radio/TV or some local people I trust (take that for what it is worth):

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/07/shane_vereen_brings_good_stuff

As Larry said you need to be careful using the word "main"...I don't see anyone in that backfield being the main guy...I do think he is the safest RB they have...if he is healthy he will be an integral part of their offense (regardless of how the other RBs play) who I believe will catch over 70 receptions...the kid is a playmaker who Brady trusts...I am very high on him this year and feel he will be a solid RB2 when it's all said and done...

Boston said:
mrnick33 said:

James White | NE

SOURCE:

ESPN BOSTON
Here's something recent...also been hearing it either thru radio/TV or some local people I trust (take that for what it is worth):

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/07/shane_vereen_brings_good_stuff

As Larry said you need to be careful using the word "main"...I don't see anyone in that backfield being the main guy...I do think he is the safest RB they have...if he is healthy he will be an integral part of their offense (regardless of how the other RBs play) who I believe will catch in the vicinity of 70 receptions...the kid is a playmaker who Brady trusts...I am very high on him this year and feel he will be a solid RB2 when it's all said and done...
Shane Vereen still exists, and is very, very good pass catcher... I think if the guy shows up to play, next year he could very well hold a lot of value. Patriots always change up their game plan and one game could run the ball into the ground and the next game call mostly passing plays.

5. James White, RB, ADP 152.9
When we talk about early-camp winners among rookies, two names immediately come to mind: James White and Brandin Cooks. White has been referred to as a “phenom” by the Boston Globe, and top beat mean Mike Reiss expects White to both threaten Stevan Ridley for early-down work and be a “significant part” of the attack. Perhaps most importantly, coach Bill Belichick lavished praise on the fourth-round rookie, dispelling notions that he’s a mere passing back by calling him a three-down player. The path to playing time is not that crowded here, as Shane Vereen has been unable to stay healthy and Ridley has fumbled nine times across the last two seasons. White is already ahead of Brandon Bolden and can be penciled in as the backup to both Vereen and Ridley.

Users who are viewing this thread