What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James White, NE (2 Viewers)

Dang. As a Vereen/Ridley owner, am I going to have to reach for this guy at 2.04 (non IDP)?

A few weeks ago he was my target at 3.05. No way he makes it there now.

Rotoworld:

Fourth-round RB James White got first-team carries Wednesday while most of Stevan Ridley's reps came with the second unit.
It's just one day of practice, but it carries a little more weight since it was a joint 11-on-11 session versus the Eagles. It confirms that the Patriots want to get a look at White against first-stringers even if Ridley is the starter. As a young back impressing in his first camp, White should at least be on watch lists. He's directly behind both big back Ridley and first-string passing back Shane Vereen.

Related: Stevan Ridley

Source: CSN New England

He looks small and slow and keeps running into his blockers.
Looking very lackluster compared to every other NE back.
Ridley clearly is a superior runner, if he can only hold on to the ball. It has to be maddening to coaches and his owners. I've stayed away from the NE backfield this year but have been very interested in all the hype/talk around White. I'm not seeing it at all.

Yeah I have to agree White looks pretty average out there. Ridley coughed up the ball even though he was ruled down. Hate to see that as a Ridley owner in a couple of leagues. Didn't see much of Vereen. Saw him make one nice catch. That was about all. I don't think this backfield is going to be fun to own this year

Yeah I have to agree White looks pretty average out there. Ridley coughed up the ball even though he was ruled down. Hate to see that as a Ridley owner in a couple of leagues. Didn't see much of Vereen. Saw him make one nice catch. That was about all. I don't think this backfield is going to be fun to own this year
He was in for two back to back plays. First one was a wheel route that ended by getting pushed out of bounds, for 12 yards. Second was a slip-screen, good for 9 yards. Vereen is looking good.

White looks small and out matched running with the first teamers so far tonight IMO.
So White started?

I came in late on the game. Saw Ridley fumble (ugh) and saw Bolden with a nice long run. Trying to get my finger on the pulse of this situation. I've been drafting Ridley in a lot of DMs so far, have Bolden in a dynasty. Maybe White is the play?

I know one thing, if Ridley fumbles again, could be dunzo for him with the Pats.

I'm not seeing it. Looks average. Not fast, little power, goes down to arm tackles, limited vision. Really rethinking Ridley tonight after he burned me last year.

My take is the lead back job is clearly Ridley's if (BIG IF) he can hold on to the ball. Bolden could figure in goal line/short yardage back either way and White is not an NFL RB. Nothing has changed for Vereen who will be a boom/bust weekly play.

White looks small and out matched running with the first teamers so far tonight IMO.
So White started?

I came in late on the game. Saw Ridley fumble (ugh) and saw Bolden with a nice long run. Trying to get my finger on the pulse of this situation. I've been drafting Ridley in a lot of DMs so far, have Bolden in a dynasty. Maybe White is the play?

I know one thing, if Ridley fumbles again, could be dunzo for him with the Pats.
James White will be dynasty Waiver Wire fodder by week 3 of the regular season, if not earlier.

So White started?I came in late on the game. Saw Ridley fumble (ugh) and saw Bolden with a nice long run. Trying to get my finger on the pulse of this situation. I've been drafting Ridley in a lot of DMs so far, have Bolden in a dynasty. Maybe White is the play?

No, White didn't start. Ridley did and looked good until the fumble. Vereen is the third down guy and looks like the RB to own in NE.

So White started?I came in late on the game. Saw Ridley fumble (ugh) and saw Bolden with a nice long run. Trying to get my finger on the pulse of this situation. I've been drafting Ridley in a lot of DMs so far, have Bolden in a dynasty. Maybe White is the play?

James White will be dynasty Waiver Wire fodder by week 3 of the regular season, if not earlier.
:lol: not in any league I play in

Stevan Ridley was benched in the second quarter of Friday night's preseason game after a fumble in Eagles territory.
Ridley made his second straight start, but coughed the ball up and was quickly relegated to the bench, where he could be seen shaking his head in frustration. Ridley was off to a red hot start, turning his first nine carries into 45 yards. The fumble opens the door for rookie James White to see playing time, although White has been thoroughly unimpressive this preseason. Shane Vereen remains the favorite to lead the Patriots in touches.

He won't be relevant, imo. Now or in the future. Time will ultimately provide the answer.

He won't be relevant, imo. Now or in the future. Time will ultimately provide the answer.
Man, one rough rookie preseason with the first team is all it takes to kill a career huh?

Its a little early to declare he wont be relevant. Its contract years for Ridley and Vereen, its possible neither will return and id say likely Ridley doesn't. White doesn't have to fill some big shoes he just has to not fumble.

Also its his second preseason game lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Man, one rough rookie preseason with the first team is all it takes to kill a career huh?
I have no stake in White but I liked him in college. Not really shining here is a bummer.

Its a little early to declare he wont be relevant. Its contract years for Ridley and Vereen, its possible neither will return and id say likely Ridley doesn't. White doesn't have to fill some big shoes he just has to not fumble.

Also its his second preseason game lol.
Agreed it's way too early to write him off, but he needs to play a heck of a lot better than he has in order to have any role in the future- simply "not fumbling" won't be enough.

Stevan Ridley was benched in the second quarter of Friday night's preseason game after a fumble in Eagles territory.
Ridley made his second straight start, but coughed the ball up and was quickly relegated to the bench, where he could be seen shaking his head in frustration. Ridley was off to a red hot start, turning his first nine carries into 45 yards. The fumble opens the door for rookie James White to see playing time, although White has been thoroughly unimpressive this preseason. Shane Vereen remains the favorite to lead the Patriots in touches.
I just don't get the Vereen is the favorite to lead the team in touches talk. He is the new Woodhead. Vereen has not been used as a heavy workload running back, Sure, lots of dump off passes, but he's had 10 carries in a game 5 times in 30 career games played. Add in his checked past of getting banged up, and I don't see Vereen getting more than 150 or 175 touches.

And this is why I won't touch the guy. He can get pulled and benched at any time. Just can't count on him. I'll let someone else take the risk, headache and possible upside.

I have no idea what the consequence of that fumble will be but he might finally be cheap enough to take a flier as a high upside bench guy our flex play. Wr enthusiasts should love the uncertainty in yet another backfield

I have no idea what the consequence of that fumble will be but he might finally be cheap enough to take a flier as a high upside bench guy our flex play. Wr enthusiasts should love the uncertainty in yet another backfield
Right, I got him pretty cheap in my draft yesterday. I came home to news of another fumble and already have buyers remorse despite him being on sale. I think I want to try and move him before the season even starts. Like you said, you just can't trust him.

This is exactly why I thought Stephen Houston had a great opportunity here, but he coughed it up in the first game and was sent packing. Bolden isn't special, but he may be better than Whitw right now, especially between the tackles. And he doesn't have Ridley's fumbling problem.

Truth of it is that you can't really trust any of them until someone gets fully established as "the" guy, and even then you're 1 fumble away from the pine.

Gun to my head I'd still take Vereen first in PPR and Ridley in non-PPR. Still think Ridley is the best pure runner, but he's gotta fix the fumbling. Period.

It was night and day IMO between Vereen and White. Vereen is much quicker and more explosive. White doesn't look like Vereen's replacement next year unless Vereen's price is too high for the Patriots. With the devaluation of RB contracts I think they will be able to keep him.

"ESPN Boston reports Stevan Ridley's benching in Friday's preseason game "might have been more about workload than a message from the coaching staff."

Source: ESPN Boston"

Is a "duh" in order? And it wasn't a fumble anyway.

"ESPN Boston reports Stevan Ridley's benching in Friday's preseason game "might have been more about workload than a message from the coaching staff."

Source: ESPN Boston"

Is a "duh" in order? And it wasn't a fumble anyway.
Except it was, he straight up got stripped and was fortunate a team are was there to bail him out.

Let's not forget the Zach Sudfeld hype from last year on the same team. New England/Belichick is nothing but misdirection on who will be the fantasy producers.

Let's not forget the Zach Sudfeld hype from last year on the same team. New England/Belichick is nothing but misdirection on who will be the fantasy producers.
Studfeld and Thompkins were fantasy legends last offseason.

Or Brandon Lloyd, Kenbrell Thompkins, Chad Ocho Cinco ect. The media is equally to blame.

So another week has passed. Any more clarity on the NE backup runningback situation? Ridley is likely the starter still until he fumbles away the job. Vereen is the guy you probably want to own for the big upside plays, but do you have the cahones to start him on any given week?

Longer term, is White or Bolden (or someone else?) the guy you want to stash when Ridley eventually ends up back in the Belicheck pooch motel? Seems to me the bloom has almost completely come off the White rose and Bolden may be the smarter play here but he hasn't gotten much buzz either.

Last time there was a weird pre-season release rumor up there, the guy in question put up a 180 yards in week one.

Ridley's injury leaves some real opportunity in NE.

White only had a few carries in week 4, but I thought he looked really explosive. He had that "electric" quality that you see in guys like Lynch, and in the way Ingram has been running since last year. And, despite his size, he looked good busting a couple of runs up the middle.

We know what Vereen can do. He's solid, but he's not going to set the world on fire. I think White has some incredible upside. Of course he'd have a long ways to go in earning Belichek's trust, and in proving himself with blocking assignments, but maybe just maybe, might we see White get an opportunity here? If he gets the chances, I think he's really going to surprise some folks.

Users who are viewing this thread