What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raleigh, NC - Stuff to do (1 Viewer)

Swing 51

Footballguy
Searched the forum but didn't see a thread devoted to Raleigh/NC. Saw one on living in Raleigh vs. Charlotte.

Anyway, what to do in Raleigh? Good places to eat? Areas to exploit/avoid? Assuming some good bluegrass venues in/around town?

Searched the forum but didn't see a thread devoted to Raleigh/NC. Saw one on living in Raleigh vs. Charlotte.

Anyway, what to do in Raleigh? Good places to eat? Areas to exploit/avoid? Assuming some good bluegrass venues in/around town?
When are you going? The International Bluegrass Festival is there Oct. 3-4.

my neck of the woods.........lots to do, but things are spread out a bit. always a festival on the weekends downtown on fayetteville st., obviously the bluegrass festival is coming up. sometimes they have a food truck rodeo. this is college foots season, so maybe a UNC - Duke - NC State game. but the biggie is the NC State fair, 10-16-10/26. the fair is a must go..........big daily farmers market near downtown. hurricanes start up soon. need a bit more info on your timeframe, people, etc.

Wow that is quite a lineup. Had some friends move to a Raleigh 'burb and will be in the area frequently in the years to come - with a trip planned next weekend.

Wow that is quite a lineup. Had some friends move to a Raleigh 'burb and will be in the area frequently in the years to come - with a trip planned next weekend.
You just missed Farm Aid. That was this past Saturday in Raleigh. The Head and the Heart is playing September 27th at a small outdoor amphitheater in Raleigh called NC Museum of Art. Is that the weekend you will be there?

You just missed Farm Aid. That was this past Saturday in Raleigh. The Head and the Heart is playing September 27th at a small outdoor amphitheater in Raleigh called NC Museum of Art. Is that the weekend you will be there?
Yep, never heard of The Head and the Heart tho.

My favorite NC bluegrass band, Chatham County Line, is playing September 26th in Wilmington. That is on the coast about an hour and 40 minutes from Raleigh. They are from Raleigh, and play there often, so you can catch them while visiting Raleigh another time. They will be playing at the International Bluegrass Festival. There is a festival that goes on twice a year called Shakori Hills, and it is about 15 to 20 minutes past Chapel Hill. The fall festival is October 9-12. It's a grassroots festival. Shakori Hills. You and your friends should go to the Merlefest in the spring. It is in the foothills (Wilkesboro, NC), and it's always the last weekend in April. It is a lot of fun.

Definitely hit The Pit!
:yes: We live about 45 minutes south of Raleigh. Love the pit. Kids enjoy the children's museum. We haven't spent much time up in Raleigh other than in those two places. But will likely check out the state fair and Bluegrass festival.

Thanks for the links fellas, keep 'em coming. The Pit's menu looks great. How about the Angus Barn, anyone been? The prices look like what I'm used to up here in the DC area (high).

My favorite NC bluegrass band, Chatham County Line, is playing September 26th in Wilmington.
I've heard Chatham before on the radio - will check them out online. My friends aren't really bluegrass fans but that won't stop me from hitting some shows solo. Thank you for your replies.

Thanks for the links fellas, keep 'em coming. The Pit's menu looks great. How about the Angus Barn, anyone been? The prices look like what I'm used to up here in the DC area (high).
Angus Barn is worth a visit, but leans to the kitch/tourist a little bit. Their quality is in line with Ruth's Chris. They have a wine list like a phone book, so that might tilt your choice. I was there a week or so ago and the filet with garlic mashed is smooth as silk. Dress as you are, there will be corporate suits there, but jeans/polo are fine.

If you like drinking a variety of beers, Flying Saucer downtown has over 80 beers on tap to try. They serve bar food. The beer at The Pit is good too, they just don't have the variety of the Flying Saucer Draught Emporium, but The Pit has better food. If you like oysters or seafood in general, the 42nd Street Oyster Bar has been in downtown Raleigh forever, and it's still good. I like Caffe Luna a lot downtown for Italian, and Pooles Diner (formerly Vertigo years ago) has great food. I have caught a great buzz many times at an Irish Pub downtown called Tir Na Nog. They have live entertainment often, and their irish food is pretty good. There are a lot of good restaurants downtown. Lincoln Theatre [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]and the [/SIZE]Southland Ballroom[SIZE=14.3999996185303px] have some good bands play at their places downtown. I don't live in Raleigh (I'm in Greensboro), but I visit often to see friends, [/SIZE][SIZE=14.3999996185303px]and attend NC State football and basketball games.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Angus Barn is worth a visit, but leans to the kitch/tourist a little bit. Their quality is in line with Ruth's Chris. They have a wine list like a phone book, so that might tilt your choice. I was there a week or so ago and the filet with garlic mashed is smooth as silk. Dress as you are, there will be corporate suits there, but jeans/polo are fine.
Their wine list is awesome, and their steaks are very good. Sullivans has good steaks too, but the Angus Barn is a landmark in Raleigh, and their wine list can't be beat.

FYI: Angus Barn & The Pit you'll wait for a table just about every night, so plan ahead.

At the Pit, fried chicken and jalapeno cornbread (when they have that) at the Pit is a go-to. Meats are served naked, sauce on the side. Truly 100 mile food, worth the drive.

Durham Performing Arts Center is a nice venue, a brand new version of the old theaters in most downtowns.

http://www.dpacnc.com/events
DPAC in Durham is a very nice venue. Another venue outside of Raleigh is the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro (Chapel Hill area). It's an old staple that still books a lot of great bands. It has more of a college atmosphere.

Some outdoor venues in Raleigh are Walnut Creek, Red Hat, NC Museum of Art, and the Koka Booth in Cary.

If you'll be a frequent visitor, I recommend timing one for Hopscotch. One of the better-curated music festivals you'll encounter.

My favorite NC bluegrass band, Chatham County Line, is playing September 26th in Wilmington. That is on the coast about an hour and 40 minutes from Raleigh. They are from Raleigh, and play there often, so you can catch them while visiting Raleigh another time. They will be playing at the International Bluegrass Festival. There is a festival that goes on twice a year called Shakori Hills, and it is about 15 to 20 minutes past Chapel Hill. The fall festival is October 9-12. It's a grassroots festival. Shakori Hills. You and your friends should go to the Merlefest in the spring. It is in the foothills (Wilkesboro, NC), and it's always the last weekend in April. It is a lot of fun.
:excited: LOVE Shakori Hills! Its practically in the backyard of my hippie in-laws. It's grown a lot over the past decade or so that Ive been going, but still a very laid back festival. They'd never get away with something like that up here in the Northeast.

Tackling Dummies said:
Swing 51 said:
Agreed...it's worth one visit. Has a cool lounge area where you can have a few drinks. Closed it down one night...but no need to go back really.

Tackling Dummies said:
Swing 51 said:
Agreed...it's worth one visit. Has a cool lounge area where you can have a few drinks. Closed it down one night...but no need to go back really.
I had the Chest Pie from the Angus Barn and it tasted a lot better than something that Dentist might dream up.

Tackling Dummies said:
Swing 51 said:
I had the Chest Pie from the Angus Barn and it tasted a lot better than something that Dentist might dream up.
wat

Tackling Dummies said:
Swing 51 said:
wat
:lmao:

just realized that it's chess pie. We must have made reference to chest pie about 100x each time I was there and I guess my brain wanted it to be chest pie.

If you like drinking a variety of beers, Flying Saucer downtown has over 80 beers on tap to try. They serve bar food. The beer at The Pit is good too, they just don't have the variety of the Flying Saucer Draught Emporium, but The Pit has better food. If you like oysters or seafood in general, the 42nd Street Oyster Bar has been in downtown Raleigh forever, and it's still good. I like Caffe Luna a lot downtown for Italian, and Pooles Diner (formerly Vertigo years ago) has great food. I have caught a great buzz many times at an Irish Pub downtown called Tir Na Nog. They have live entertainment often, and their irish food is pretty good. There are a lot of good restaurants downtown. Lincoln Theatre [SIZE=14.3999996185303px]and the [/SIZE]Southland Ballroom[SIZE=14.3999996185303px] have some good bands play at their places downtown. I don't live in Raleigh (I'm in Greensboro), but I visit often to see friends, [/SIZE][SIZE=14.3999996185303px]and attend NC State football and basketball games.[/SIZE]
Thanks simey

not a pit fan, lots of hype.....many other bbq places that will suit. heck, clyde coopers for 1/2 the price. 2 funky places downtown are calavela, an empenada and tequila joint and next door is oak city meatball. recently went to the station for burgers and beer, nice outdoor bar. chubbys tacos is a favorite of ours, great tacqueria. i would even suggest crazy fire, mongolian all you can eat bbq, not staffed by mongoloids.

not a pit fan, lots of hype.....many other bbq places that will suit. heck, clyde coopers for 1/2 the price. 2 funky places downtown are calavela, an empenada and tequila joint and next door is oak city meatball. recently went to the station for burgers and beer, nice outdoor bar. chubbys tacos is a favorite of ours, great tacqueria. i would even suggest crazy fire, mongolian all you can eat bbq, not staffed by mongoloids.
Calavela is awesome.

tdoss said:
Chemical X said:
Calavela is awesome.
3 empenada and soft drink lunch for 7.99 is the bomb diggy.

Over the weekend we hit 42nd St Oyster Bar, Angus Barn, and Big Ed's. Will have return trips to Oyster Bar and Ed's but will seek out a different steak house. Not that Angus Barn was bad but for those prices I think one could do better. Ed's was interesting - I like the "Redneck Wind Charm".

Drove around and checked out the houses in Historic Oakwood and walked around a bit down town. A bike fest was in town so it was a bit louder than normal I was told. Also a bunch of streets were closed off.

Need to check out the Neuse River and a Bluegrass joint next time.

Anyone seen a concert/show at the Joseph M. Bryan, Jr., Theater in the Museum Park at the North Carolina Museum of Art?

Over the weekend we hit 42nd St Oyster Bar, Angus Barn, and Big Ed's. Will have return trips to Oyster Bar and Ed's but will seek out a different steak house. Not that Angus Barn was bad but for those prices I think one could do better. Ed's was interesting - I like the "Redneck Wind Charm".

Drove around and checked out the houses in Historic Oakwood and walked around a bit down town. A bike fest was in town so it was a bit louder than normal I was told. Also a bunch of streets were closed off.

Need to check out the Neuse River and a Bluegrass joint next time.
I can walk to there from my work.

Raleigh people - I’m making the move from Seattle to Raleigh this summer. Any advice on where to live? Just me and my son will visit every other weekend from Greensboro.  Thinking North Hills, Cameron Village or downtown. Don’t want to live out in the sticks and schools don’t matter.  I’ve lived all over NC (Asheville, Greenville, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Greensboro) but this will be my first stint in Raleigh for other than a weekend visit.

I’ll be working near PNC Arena.

Raleigh people - I’m making the move from Seattle to Raleigh this summer. Any advice on where to live? Just me and my son will visit every other weekend from Greensboro.  Thinking North Hills, Cameron Village or downtown. Don’t want to live out in the sticks and schools don’t matter.  I’ve lived all over NC (Asheville, Greenville, Jacksonville, Charlotte, Greensboro) but this will be my first stint in Raleigh for other than a weekend visit.

I’ll be working near PNC Arena.
renting or buying?  house or condo or apartment? does commute matter?

also, the commute in Raleigh is opposite the city, as most everyone travels West and away from downtown, towards RTP.  So, you want to live West of your location to commute Eastbound on 40.  There’s some decent shops now in the Lake Boone Trail area, which is near your location.  Coming from your 3 selections will be a bear.  440 is under construction, with a widening project under way.  40 West from downtown might cost you 45 minutes, honestly.  I assume you’ll have a car and don’t need to walk everywhere?

also, the commute in Raleigh is opposite the city, as most everyone travels West and away from downtown, towards RTP.  So, you want to live West of your location to commute Eastbound on 40.  There’s some decent shops now in the Lake Boone Trail area, which is near your location.  Coming from your 3 selections will be a bear.  440 is under construction, with a widening project under way.  40 West from downtown might cost you 45 minutes, honestly.  I assume you’ll have a car and don’t need to walk everywhere?
Rent for a year. Have a car. I want to be around restaurants, shopping, etc. North Hills to office says 6.9 miles. Cameron Village to office says 4.9 miles. Still think those are bad ideas?

2nd commuting East.  Cary maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread