What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Kevin White, NO (1 Viewer)

Don't overthink it. Guy is big, fast, smooth, strong, and catches very well. Was a top 10 pick for a reason.

I think he will be good barring injury. Mix of Hopkins, Julio, and Fitz.
I traded out of the 1.4 - feel much better getting Cooks, who is 2 years younger and has an elite QB.

Don't overthink it. Guy is big, fast, smooth, strong, and catches very well. Was a top 10 pick for a reason.

I think he will be good barring injury. Mix of Hopkins, Julio, and Fitz.
I traded out of the 1.4 - feel much better getting Cooks, who is 2 years younger and has an elite QB.
I don't think Cooks is in Kevin White's league. Cooks is a better prospect than Cooper though, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
That being said, I don't think he's a guy I will have on any of my teams due to the reasons you listed. I find a lot of that stuff persuasive and especially the fact that I just don't trust any stats put up in the WVU offense. There are a lot of top guys who I think if they got almost constant single coverage out wide against B12 CBs in that system, would put up similar or better numbers.
I have a hard time getting over just one year of production in the WVU. That offense made Tavon and Bailey look like studs. Obviously White has some special physical ability (size, speed) to go along with strong hands, but it's still concerning.

Add in his age and I feel like he's being made into something he's not. I don't see him as a 'bust' per se but I don't think he'll live up to the expectations of the 7th player in the draft.

Drafting a 22-year-old, one-year wonder WR who did not significantly dominate his own team's receiving in the top 10 is not what I call efficient. Not when a somewhat similar player in Breshad Perriman could put up the same production at a cheaper draft slot.

The only takeaway I get from White's draft slot is that he will be given every opportunity to succeed or fail.
The draft is all about projection.

As for Perriman, you feel free to bet on a guy with shaky hands to improve them in the NFL. I'll bet that a guy coming from JUCO can refine his routes so that his athleticism shines through before AND after the catch.

And if you don't think your last point is an important factor in any prospect's success, you're crazy. That's part of the reason, besides talent level, that players drafted higher generally have higher success rates. They get the opportunities, and that's important.

Drafting a 22-year-old, one-year wonder WR who did not significantly dominate his own team's receiving in the top 10 is not what I call efficient. Not when a somewhat similar player in Breshad Perriman could put up the same production at a cheaper draft slot.

The only takeaway I get from White's draft slot is that he will be given every opportunity to succeed or fail.
The draft is all about projection.

As for Perriman, you feel free to bet on a guy with shaky hands to improve them in the NFL. I'll bet that a guy coming from JUCO can refine his routes so that his athleticism shines through before AND after the catch.

And if you don't think your last point is an important factor in any prospect's success, you're crazy. That's part of the reason, besides talent level, that players drafted higher generally have higher success rates. They get the opportunities, and that's important.
I do have White ahead of Perriman, but it comes down to the value you could get in trade vs. actually taking White with a top 4 pick.

Drafting a 22-year-old, one-year wonder WR who did not significantly dominate his own team's receiving in the top 10 is not what I call efficient. Not when a somewhat similar player in Breshad Perriman could put up the same production at a cheaper draft slot.The only takeaway I get from White's draft slot is that he will be given every opportunity to succeed or fail.
The draft is all about projection.As for Perriman, you feel free to bet on a guy with shaky hands to improve them in the NFL. I'll bet that a guy coming from JUCO can refine his routes so that his athleticism shines through before AND after the catch.And if you don't think your last point is an important factor in any prospect's success, you're crazy. That's part of the reason, besides talent level, that players drafted higher generally have higher success rates. They get the opportunities, and that's important.
I do have White ahead of Perriman, but it comes down to the value you could get in trade vs. actually taking White with a top 4 pick.
Oh, I agree with that. If you can get someone you feel is more proven, more talented, more productive, etc. and you have questions, then do it. I also would have traded White for Cooks if possible, I think, for what it's worth. Traded 1.06, 1.011, etc. for Cooks in another league, for example.

Lmao at all these guys concerned about his "age" at 22. He is 22. Twenty two.
It reminds me of the saying, "Don't let perfect by the enemy of good."

You can go back and look at almost any eventual stud WR and find some kind of a flaw.

Boldin had slow 40 times.

Julio had modest college stats.

Dez was a headcase.

Beckham was too small.

VJax played at a small school.

Demaryius was a one year wonder.

If you wait for the perfect prospect, you'll be waiting forever.

Sure, it would be great if White were 20 years old coming off three straight 1000+ yard seasons.

It's not that clean though. He went the JC route. Had a shortened college career by default.

Personally, I'm convinced by what I saw last year. I think he's actually one of the safest prospects in the draft.

Not much to nitpick really. Checks every box physically, had outstanding production, looks the part on the field, and was drafted accordingly.

The draft is all about projection. As for Perriman, you feel free to bet on a guy with shaky hands to improve them in the NFL. I'll bet that a guy coming from JUCO can refine his routes so that his athleticism shines through before AND after the catch.

Because guys with bad hands get benched! The guy Perriman is replacing has horrible hands.

Perriman will get no less opportunity than White. Steve Smith is getting old and there is no one else in that WR corps to steal targets from Perriman. White has to battle Jeffery, and I have strong feeling he isn't very likely to be better than Jeffery.

The draft is all about projection. As for Perriman, you feel free to bet on a guy with shaky hands to improve them in the NFL. I'll bet that a guy coming from JUCO can refine his routes so that his athleticism shines through before AND after the catch.

Because guys with bad hands get benched! The guy Perriman is replacing has horrible hands.

Perriman will get no less opportunity than White. Steve Smith is getting old and there is no one else in that WR corps to steal targets from Perriman. White has to battle Jeffery, and I have strong feeling he isn't very likely to be better than Jeffery.
Perriman won't get endless opportunities to drop the ball, if that's what he does. Realistic best case, do you really want Torrey Smith 2.0, is that your goal with a 1st round rookie pick, even if it costs less than White at a higher pick? You're giving short-term reasons or prefer Perriman at a lower cost, but I'm not seeing the long-term value there. Jeffery is very good, that won't stop White from becoming whatever it is he'll become.

Because guys with bad hands get benched! The guy Perriman is replacing has horrible hands.Perriman will get no less opportunity than White. Steve Smith is getting old and there is no one else in that WR corps to steal targets from Perriman. White has to battle Jeffery, and I have strong feeling he isn't very likely to be better than Jeffery.
Perriman won't get endless opportunities to drop the ball, if that's what he does. Realistic best case, do you really want Torrey Smith 2.0, is that your goal with a 1st round rookie pick, even if it costs less than White at a higher pick? You're giving short-term reasons or prefer Perriman at a lower cost, but I'm not seeing the long-term value there. Jeffery is very good, that won't stop White from becoming whatever it is he'll become.
According to the efficient market of the NFL draft, Perriman is better than Torrey. Torrey would be his worst case, not best.

Because guys with bad hands get benched! The guy Perriman is replacing has horrible hands.Perriman will get no less opportunity than White. Steve Smith is getting old and there is no one else in that WR corps to steal targets from Perriman. White has to battle Jeffery, and I have strong feeling he isn't very likely to be better than Jeffery.
According to the efficient market of the NFL draft, Perriman is better than Torrey. Torrey would be his worst case, not best.
You know that's not true, there are always busts, his worst case outcome is a lot less production than Smith. Don't play dumb.

The draft is all about projection.As for Perriman, you feel free to bet on a guy with shaky hands to improve them in the NFL. I'll bet that a guy coming from JUCO can refine his routes so that his athleticism shines through before AND after the catch.

You know that's not true, there are always busts, his worst case outcome is a lot less production than Smith. Don't play dumb.
Yes, and White's worst case is a lot less than Julio, Fitz, and Hopkins. But we're ready to oversell White because we think he's a stud.

I own the 1.03 and 1.04 in an upcoming draft and I am ecstatic to more than likely "settle" for White at that spot.

At first blush looking at the stats, I was concerned as well with the "one hit wonder" thing.

Then I watched tape on him. And saw what he did against some pretty good defenses chock full of former 5* high school DBs (Alabama, Oklahoma, etc). He was a man amongst boys at the collegiate level in 2014. And I think he's just scratching the surface of what he can become.

If you have the 1.04 and he's still available, I think it's a no brainer pick.

The draft is all about projection.As for Perriman, you feel free to bet on a guy with shaky hands to improve them in the NFL. I'll bet that a guy coming from JUCO can refine his routes so that his athleticism shines through before AND after the catch.

Yes, and White's worst case is a lot less than Julio, Fitz, and Hopkins. But we're ready to oversell White because we think he's a stud.
Must have missed the argument that White's WORST case is Julio, Fitz and Hopkins.

Must have missed the argument that White's WORST case is Julio, Fitz and Hopkins.
So did I.

Lmao at all these guys concerned about his "age" at 22. He is 22. Twenty two.
What's funnier is that you have no clue what we are talking about, yet so quick to dismiss it.
Right. I don't share your opinion, so the conversation is clearly over my head. Got it.
Not to jump into the middle of this but I'd be interested to see if you could list the reasons why his age bothers people. The way you phrased your initial post made it sound like you were assuming it bothered them for different reasons than it actually does.

Rotoworld:

Bears No. 7 overall pick Kevin White reportedly had a "dominant" rookie camp.

Longtime Bears reporter Dan Pompei described White as "easily the most impressive rookie wide receiver I’ve ever seen walk through the doors at Halas Hall." White is supposed to dominate later-round DBs and UDFAs at rookie camp, but it's a good sign nonetheless. Also learning all three receiver positions, White is a good bet to flirt with 60-plus receptions as a rookie.

Source: Dan Pompei on Twitter
May 11 - 5:00 PM

georg013 said:
georg013 said:
Official Bears website has Kevin White listed as 21 years old. Will someone please contact them and tell them to update their records? He should be 24 right? Thanks.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/roster/Kevin-White/360eface-15ab-4f9e-a0cd-d99e8250ecf9
First time I have ever quoted myself but I'm really confused here. How old is Kevin White?
Thought he was a year older, but his birthday has been updated most places to 6/25/93 - so 21 until next month.

cstu said:
georg013 said:
georg013 said:
Official Bears website has Kevin White listed as 21 years old. Will someone please contact them and tell them to update their records? He should be 24 right? Thanks.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/roster/Kevin-White/360eface-15ab-4f9e-a0cd-d99e8250ecf9
First time I have ever quoted myself but I'm really confused here. How old is Kevin White?
Thought he was a year older, but his birthday has been updated most places to 6/25/93 - so 21 until next month.
24 would not be accurate at all.

cstu said:
georg013 said:
georg013 said:

Last I remember everyone was knocking him because he was so old. Articles were written about how he was a late bloomer. A few guys in here knocked him down because of it. They swore by Wikipedia. Now that angle has disappeared. Does this make him more worthy of consideration since we know he isnt an early retirement candidate (24 years old)?

cstu said:
georg013 said:
georg013 said:

But it's how old Russell Wilson was as a rookie at a much slower developing position. And yet, he's fairly productive. Why again are we splitting hairs with a 21/22 year old rookie WR?

Two people who seem to know him very well wished him 22nd birthday last year already. One of them is his cousin apparently, and the other is one of the same for his 21st birthday I posted previously.

https://twitter.com/lidihateyou/status/481813433655230465

https://twitter.com/fall_O_theLiter/status/481839444803461120

These same two wishing him his 21st:

https://twitter.com/lidihateyou/status/349380716984926208

https://twitter.com/fall_O_theLiter/status/349378956283228162
Yup he's turning 23 this June.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/11/19/kevin-white-west-virginia-mountaineers

I do think breaking out at an early age has some predictive value. I also think Kevin White, being a JUCO transfer, might be a fairly obvious exception.

I also think that if White improves his route running and proves that the strengths he already has will translate, no one will care that he's not as young as Mike Evans or even Amari Cooper were as rookies.

A Bears coach recently said that they have certain body movements they look for on tape to tell whether a WR will be able to run the full route tree. White obviously did. We'll see.

I do think breaking out at an early age has some predictive value. I also think Kevin White, being a JUCO transfer, might be a fairly obvious exception.

I also think that if White improves his route running and proves that the strengths he already has will translate, no one will care that he's not as young as Mike Evans or even Amari Cooper were as rookies.

A Bears coach recently said that they have certain body movements they look for on tape to tell whether a WR will be able to run the full route tree. White obviously did. We'll see.
And this is where the rubber hits the road. I am now a White owner and reading the loved feast is fun, but are there any recent examples of players that successfully transitioned to the NFL with as little experience as White? In that respect I associate him with Corelle Patterson--not in terms of style of play, but in lack of playing experience. Lots of the same things were being said about him. Can someone site a player that had NFL success with as little experience as White?

The other issue I have in this thread when I hear "he can learn some skill with coaching." This assumes the player did not get any coaching at his college. This is flat out wrong. Every major college program has a WR coach, even two, that are very capable.

Patterson comps don't work. His final season as a Volunteer in 2012 produced 778 yards receiving and 46 receptions. The rest of his production came from carries, punt and kick returns. A far cry from what White produced. Huge difference IMO.

And this is where the rubber hits the road. I am now a White owner and reading the loved feast is fun, but are there any recent examples of players that successfully transitioned to the NFL with as little experience as White? In that respect I associate him with Corelle Patterson--not in terms of style of play, but in lack of playing experience. Lots of the same things were being said about him. Can someone site a player that had NFL success with as little experience as White?

The other issue I have in this thread when I hear "he can learn some skill with coaching." This assumes the player did not get any coaching at his college. This is flat out wrong. Every major college program has a WR coach, even two, that are very capable.
Patterson did even less, in terms of routes run, than White and lived almost completely off his reputation after the catch, of which he had less than 50, and had trouble with his hands, period. He was also an excellent returner.

White caught over 100 balls his final season, tons of them downfield. He has very good hands, good contested catch ability, good (but not Patterson level) RAC ability.

Really his only question mark is routes.

College offenses ask certain players to run certain routes. White was not asked to run certain routes at WVU, and Bears coaches have specifically said they saw everything they needed to on White's tape to show them that he was capable of running the full route tree once he learns.

If you think all college programs have WR coaches that teach the entire route tree, I don't know what to tell you. They are not trying to prepare these guys for NFL success, they're teaching them what they need to know to succeed in their particular offense, and that's it.

I don't think you realize that for all of your geeky efforts, your attitude and prose makes you forgettable.

Patterson did even less, in terms of routes run, than White and lived almost completely off his reputation after the catch, of which he had less than 50, and had trouble with his hands, period. He was also an excellent returner.

White caught over 100 balls his final season, tons of them downfield. He has very good hands, good contested catch ability, good (but not Patterson level) RAC ability.

College offenses ask certain players to run certain routes. White was not asked to run certain routes at WVU, and Bears coaches have specifically said they saw everything they needed to on White's tape to show them that he was capable of running the full route tree once he learns.

If you think all college programs have WR coaches that teach the entire route tree, I don't know what to tell you. They are not trying to prepare these guys for NFL success, they're teaching them what they need to know to succeed in their particular offense, and that's it.
You are confusing what I said. Let me clarify, I only bring up Cord Patterson's name because like White he was a Jucco transfer that had enough success in his limited playing time to capture the attention of NFL scouts. He did not have an extensive college career, just like White. And just like White he went early in dyno drafts. That is the only comparison I was making. Again, can someone point to a player that has had success in the NFL who had a limited playing career in college?

As far as the college WR coaches point, my point was they are all teaching foot work and release techniques. Trust me, I have coached and right now have one of my kids at Cal. I know what is being coached. How this relates to White is when people find holes in his game and excuse them by saying he will get coated up in the NFL. He was already getting coached up at WV.

I don't mean to sound like a hater, but I have some serious skepticism, thus the question.

I don't think you realize that for all of your geeky efforts, your attitude and prose makes you forgettable.
Yet you felt the need to respond. Try again.

And this is where the rubber hits the road. I am now a White owner and reading the loved feast is fun, but are there any recent examples of players that successfully transitioned to the NFL with as little experience as White? In that respect I associate him with Corelle Patterson--not in terms of style of play, but in lack of playing experience. Lots of the same things were being said about him. Can someone site a player that had NFL success with as little experience as White?The other issue I have in this thread when I hear "he can learn some skill with coaching." This assumes the player did not get any coaching at his college. This is flat out wrong. Every major college program has a WR coach, even two, that are very capable.
Patterson did even less, in terms of routes run, than White and lived almost completely off his reputation after the catch, of which he had less than 50, and had trouble with his hands, period. He was also an excellent returner.White caught over 100 balls his final season, tons of them downfield. He has very good hands, good contested catch ability, good (but not Patterson level) RAC ability.

You are confusing what I said. Let me clarify, I only bring up Cord Patterson's name because like White he was a Jucco transfer that had enough success in his limited playing time to capture the attention of NFL scouts. He did not have an extensive college career, just like White. And just like White he went early in dyno drafts. That is the only comparison I was making. Again, can someone point to a player that has had success in the NFL who had a limited playing career in college?

As far as the college WR coaches point, my point was they are all teaching foot work and release techniques. Trust me, I have coached and right now have one of my kids at Cal. I know what is being coached. How this relates to White is when people find holes in his game and excuse them by saying he will get coated up in the NFL. He was already getting coached up at WV.

I don't mean to sound like a hater, but I have some serious skepticism, thus the question.
If White is going to get better, he needs to coach himself up. His own teammate, Mario Alford, was a JUCO guy as well and didn't have a problem running routes.

Finding the Fits: Bears' gamble on rookie Eddie Goldman will pay off

Excerpt:

Other thoughts on the Bears' 2015 draft class

While Goldman looks prepared to make an immediate impact, make no mistake White is the rookie in Chicago expected to make the splashiest debut. Due to his own extraordinary talent, as well as the aggression of quarterback Jay Cutler and offensive coordinator Adam Gase, White should contend for Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. Like Marshall -- the man he'll essentially be replacing in Chicago's offense -- the 6-3, 215-pound White wins by using his height, strength and body control to effectively box out opponents. While not as explosive on the field as the 4.3s he ran at the combine, White does have the burst to gain yardage in chunks -- traits that could make him a favorite of Cutler early and often.

I can't seem to come up with anything to bring him down. Quick, somebody give me something negative. I want to hate on this kid for no good reason other than I don't own him. Thanks in advance.

NFL Network ‏@nflnetwork 3h3 hours ago

Bears 7th overall pick WR Kevin White was "surprisingly" not on the field today. @StaceyDales says it's something "to keep an eye on."
Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman 4h4 hours ago

#Bears WR Kevin White was not on the practice field for the first day of minicamp. John Fox says the rookie is day-to-day.
Rich Campbell ‏@Rich_Campbell 4h4 hours ago

Bears HC John Fox on first-round rookie WR Kevin White: "I’ll meet with the medical people and...he’ll be out here when he’s ready to be.”

Users who are viewing this thread