What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Allow add/drops during the playoffs? (1 Viewer)

Cunk

Footballguy
Just looking for some opinions here. For me, I like to lock the teams come playoff time but a lot of the folks in my league seem to prefer to be able to add/drop during the playoffs. It's kind of a downer to not be able to add/drop during the playoffs because frankly it's just fun to do. But at the same time it seems teams should go through the playoffs with who brought you there.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure where you're coming from -- if my two QB's (different NFL teams) or my one K gets injured in the first week of the playoffs, I wouldn't be allowed to even pick up a different K or the backup to an injured QB? Yeah... I'm not a fan of that rule...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing for 20 years in a variety of formats. Not sure why would you not allow add/drops. What does it enhance?

Generally I carry one TE/K. Kind is silly, pointless and highly aggravating if I had a significant injury and was forced to take a zero.

I have never heard of rosters being locked for the playoffs. Anyway your logic is flawed. The person who brought me to the playoffs is me, by making good roster/lineup decisions. And now you want to restrict me from what i've been doing all season long? My roster the week before the playoffs started is way different than what i drafted anyway, so at what point in the season do we decide that *this* version of your roster is the one that got you this far? makes no sense.

Just for the record, in the league where I am commish I do allow add/drops. I can understand where you guys are coming from as opposed to my opinion and it does make sense. I'm also in another league that doesn't allow add/drops though during the playoffs.

I can't think of a single good reason waivers should be locked during the playoffs. Can think of plenty of reasons they should remain open though.

I am commish in one league, I lock teams when they are eliminated from title contention. Anyone still playing for $ can continue to add/drop. In my high stakes league, you can only add when a player on your team is ruled out for the upcoming game. You can IR the injured player and pick up someone else but as soon as the IR player gets listed probable or better, you have to either drop him or the acquired player. Good rule, but it sucks when you're playing for thousands of dollars and you have HOU D at Indy and BUF D home for GB and you can't drop one to pick up a defense. Not that I'm in that exact position or anything. :rant:

I can't think of a single good reason waivers should be locked during the playoffs. Can think of plenty of reasons they should remain open though.
I will give you the reasons from our league. We have a deep bench in a dynasty league. We lock free agent transactions for the playoffs. Teams still in it then need to plan for the playoff run by adding players that will help them win now or insurance handcuffs. This helps teams that are out of it stock their bench with prospects.

We used to lock unless you could not fill out a starting roster due to injury. We have opened it up to 1 pick up for any reason plus any pickups if you can't fill a full starting roster.

:shrug:

I will give you the reasons from our league. We have a deep bench in a dynasty league. We lock free agent transactions for the playoffs. Teams still in it then need to plan for the playoff run by adding players that will help them win now or insurance handcuffs. This helps teams that are out of it stock their bench with prospects.
I hesitate to outright say it's a bad reason though I'm leaning that way. But I'll confidently say I don't think it's a good reason.

Greg Russell said:
Gandalf said:
Greg Russell said:
I hesitate to outright say it's a bad reason though I'm leaning that way. But I'll confidently say I don't think it's a good reason.
We probably aren't going to agree here but it's the culture of our league and every owner plans for the playoffs and there is never an issue with an injured guy not being replaced by a bench player. So its working for us anyway

I play in 1 league that does lock at playoffs, but it is a 16 team dynasty IDP league with 53 man rosters so there is not a lot out there anyway. The biggest reason they lock is because it is a salary cap auction league and when the playoffs start is also the last time you can drop players and take the cap the current year.

Really depends on the league type.

Stupid rule to lock rosters, why would you force teams to carry 2 kickers, 2 tight ends, or 2 defenses after byes are over? All that does is punish the teams that drafted well, traded well, and used the waiver well. Now they have to drop up to 3 players from other positions that other teams might start because their kicker might get hurt.

Stupid rule to lock rosters, why would you force teams to carry 2 kickers, 2 tight ends, or 2 defenses after byes are over? All that does is punish the teams that drafted well, traded well, and used the waiver well. Now they have to drop up to 3 players from other positions that other teams might start because their kicker might get hurt.
No one carries 2 kickers or defenses in our league into the playoffs. Unless they want to. Kickers get hurt pretty infrequently. Obviously defense don't get hurt.

In my league, we allow it, but primarily because of how we're set-up: we play championship game week 17 (yeah, I know...not wanting to start a debate about that, it is what it is even though myself and a couple others don't like it) AND we use only blind bidding (no waiver wire, no $0 bids, can only bid in whole dollars). Our thought is that teams in the playoffs should also have to "worry" about properly managing FAAB during the entire year. Once our season-long budget of $100 is gone, no more moves.

Surprised that just about every league allows them to continue. Mine shuts them down (with a kicker exception) at the start of the playoffs and I just figured it was typical. How much depth you'll need is a decision you have to make.

It may be a stupid question - but how does it work leaving them open? Is it only for teams still in contention? I'm in a two week playoff right now for the championship, and I'm likely without Julio. If waivers were running, Douglas would be available. Would it just be me & my opponent bidding against each other for him? Because neither of us have blind bid $$ left so its a coin flip. So if I lose Julio AND my opponent lands Douglas (a better play than his current flex) on waivers that's REALLY ####ty.

Surprised that just about every league allows them to continue. Mine shuts them down (with a kicker exception) at the start of the playoffs and I just figured it was typical. How much depth you'll need is a decision you have to make.

It may be a stupid question - but how does it work leaving them open? Is it only for teams still in contention? I'm in a two week playoff right now for the championship, and I'm likely without Julio. If waivers were running, Douglas would be available. Would it just be me & my opponent bidding against each other for him? Because neither of us have blind bid $$ left so its a coin flip. So if I lose Julio AND my opponent lands Douglas (a better play than his current flex) on waivers that's REALLY ####ty.
Exactly

makes no sense to play the whole season one way with waivers, then stop playing that way last 2 weeks because it's play-offs.

makes no sense to play the whole season one way with waivers, then stop playing that way last 2 weeks because it's play-offs.
For me, waivers are a necessary part of ff because they keep teams interested/competitive. Not to mention, they are needed to get through the bye weeks. But I sort of hate them because they can swing the competitive balance as a result of things that are basically unpredictable. It makes sense to me to lock them at playoff time to try to mitigate that.

i think you contradicted yourself in your opening thread. The big money leagues like FFPC lock rosters after regular season. But they also have deep rosters.

In a normal league I think add/drops are appropriate, injuries continue to happen, picking up players as a block to their opponent is a valid strategy,

Either way is fine and both have there merits and drawbacks. But I would say if your bench is shallow, if you only carry 15-16 players on your roster or less then you should definitely allow add/drops.

We have a home field advantage rule-when playoffs start top seeds get top waiver placement

Exactly
Its the same as during the season. You need to try to plan ahead. Julio has been banged up, if you are worried you should have had Douglas already, same goes for Lacy and Starcks or any other injury

High Stakes league do it , but have 20 man rosters too. U have to balance safety of protecting for injuries with rostering strongest available players on your team.

This

Should have made it clear in my original response I am strictly shallow redraft these days; locking isn't pragmatic with 6 BN spots.

Could totally see why you would lock deep and/or dynasty leagues now that I think it over.

Exactly
Its the same as during the season. You need to try to plan ahead. Julio has been banged up, if you are worried you should have had Douglas already, same goes for Lacy and Starcks or any other injury
Is this an argument for or against? And I don't plan ahead by rostering one players backup. Douglas wouldn't help me if Hilton or Watkins got hurt.

I said earlier both have merits and drawbacks. I play in league both ways. If you are gonna lock rosters then I think you should have deep benches. In leagues with smaller benches I think add/drops are the way to go. I dont roster back up WRs but I do roster WR 3/4s that i think could go off

I don't mind locked rosters as long as the roster limit is relatively high. Being forced to carry an extra kicker or backup TE with a 20+ roster limit is not as big a deal as when you have a 14 or 16 man limit. That said, most leagues I've been in allow moves up to the end, although a couple of them have locked rosters of eliminated teams (redraft)

Greg Russell said:
Gandalf said:
Greg Russell said:
Agreed.

I only lock the teams that are out of the playoffs.

Exactly
Same here. We have 16 roster spots. We use kicking teams so you only need one. Plenty of spots to roster wisely.

Ive played in leagues with umpteen versions of this rule.

Basically not being able to add/drop really impacts the ability of teams to put out a full lineup.

Its different strategies for redraft/dynasty I guess, but the same issues impact it.

A redraft team might only carry Cam this week, and a dynasty team might have Cam with another IR QB. That car crash means they cant play a full lineup? Seriously, who wants to win a title by beating a team with no QB?

But also in either format you dont want the eliminated teams dropping players for kicks and throwing the playoffs open to waiver claims of stud players who should never have been dropped.

Ive seen some leagues where eliminated teams cannot make transactions. That's good for obvious reasons but also stops them playing for next year which hurts the dynasty format. This should really be a rule in most redraft leagues.

One twist I saw in dynasty was that all players added after week 12 or 13 were dropped after the championship week and added back to the draft pool. ~This kept the top teams active but still allowed the bottom teams to benefit from off season waiver and/or draft position.

Ive played in leagues with umpteen versions of this rule.

Basically not being able to add/drop really impacts the ability of teams to put out a full lineup.

Its different strategies for redraft/dynasty I guess, but the same issues impact it.

A redraft team might only carry Cam this week, and a dynasty team might have Cam with another IR QB. That car crash means they cant play a full lineup? Seriously, who wants to win a title by beating a team with no QB?

But also in either format you dont want the eliminated teams dropping players for kicks and throwing the playoffs open to waiver claims of stud players who should never have been dropped.

Ive seen some leagues where eliminated teams cannot make transactions. That's good for obvious reasons but also stops them playing for next year which hurts the dynasty format. This should really be a rule in most redraft leagues.

One twist I saw in dynasty was that all players added after week 12 or 13 were dropped after the championship week and added back to the draft pool. ~This kept the top teams active but still allowed the bottom teams to benefit from off season waiver and/or draft position.
I hear you. At the same time, I would say that if your league locks transactions and you are only carrying one QB then you are choosing to roll the dice. Especially in a redraft league where there is less incentive to stockpile prospects. Again this probably comes down to bench spots.

This. In many leagues the worst teams get the first waiver picks so the lower playoff seeds would get an advantage in the waiver priority.

IMO, the best option is to allow teams still contending for the title to add/drop. Lock down any consolation bracket or out teams. Seed non-playoff teams by regular season record and points for the draft next year and just give bonus money to the consolation bracket winner(s).

IMO, the best option is to allow teams still contending for the title to add/drop. Lock down any consolation bracket or out teams. Seed non-playoff teams by regular season record and points for the draft next year and just give bonus money to the consolation bracket winner(s).
I would agree in redraft. But in keeper leagues it's not fair to have just a handful of teams access to players who can potentially be kept.

Hate not locking lineups.

If you work solely off of a weekly resetting WW, based on standings, why should the 4th seed get an advantage over a higher seed?

Users who are viewing this thread