What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (4 Viewers)

Bigboy10182000 said:
If there ever was a time for Chip to get his guy, this is it
In one of the weakest QB drafts in recent memory?
Exactly, he knows Mariota better than anyone. He has the best insight on Mariota's chances in the league. With no super stud quarterback in the draft it devalues that first pick. It won't cost the Eagles as much as it cost the Redskins to get RG3
He knew Josh Huff too
You are comparing a 3rd round receiver that was probably the 15th or so receiver off the board, and buried behind Cooper, Maclin, Matthews on the depth chart to a quarterback that is going in the first round?

Coaches usually know their quarterbacks better than other positions.

Are you declaring Huff a bust after 1 year?

-CE- said:
Deamon said:
This reminds me of the Geno love for last year only to have us pass twice. If/ when Manziel is there we'll pass again and then next year we can talk about what we should do when/ if Marriota is there.
Geno Smith didn't play at Oregon in the exact same system for Chip Kelly, win a Heisman trophy, have the same mental and physical tools or have the same on the field production. Other than that, they're exactly the same.
Manziel won the Heisman. Kelly wanted him for his offense at Oregon. Still passed and he didn't have to give up anything for him. As efficient as Mariota may be, he won't be year one or even two. So where does that put us?
He passed on him after Foles had an amazing year. After Foles' mediocre year, he may pull the trigger.
Can you guys explain this to me... Foles was passing for 270 yards a game, was 5-2 as a starter (with the two losses being away games to the 49ers and Cards, games that were still close and winnable against good opponents) and while his TO ratio was more or less 1:1, I don't see the reason to throw in the towel on him.

But every Iggles fan I know is chomping at the bit to replace him. I think he's a decent QB, what am I missing? Are you guys just pissed that your team failed with Mark Sanchez under center, a guy who has failed teams like the Jets and USC Trojans before...?
Not every Eagles fan. There are plenty of us here who would rather give Foles another year than spend a premium pick on a replacement. I'd be sick if they traded up for a QB.
But would you be ok with using a 2nd rounder on a QB project? That's what makes me sick.

Bigboy10182000 said:
Exactly, he knows Mariota better than anyone. He has the best insight on Mariota's chances in the league.With no super stud quarterback in the draft it devalues that first pick. It won't cost the Eagles as much as it cost the Redskins to get RG3
He knew Josh Huff too
You are comparing a 3rd round receiver that was probably the 15th or so receiver off the board, and buried behind Cooper, Maclin, Matthews on the depth chart to a quarterback that is going in the first round?

I agree but its not as significant as people think.

Also people only look at the glass half full when they apply what Kelly thinks about Mariota and the offense. "He has a chance to get his man" "perfect QB for this offense" etc...Now what if since he knows Mariota so well we knows he cant be an NFL starter? What if he knows that you have to be able to make all the throws in this league? What if he knows it would take Mariota 2-3-4 years to be NFL ready?

The Kelly/ Mariota connection is just slightly less shallow than the Kelly/ Manziel one from a year ago.

Bigboy10182000 said:
Exactly, he knows Mariota better than anyone. He has the best insight on Mariota's chances in the league.With no super stud quarterback in the draft it devalues that first pick. It won't cost the Eagles as much as it cost the Redskins to get RG3
He knew Josh Huff too

Also people only look at the glass half full when they apply what Kelly thinks about Mariota and the offense. "He has a chance to get his man" "perfect QB for this offense" etc...Now what if since he knows Mariota so well we knows he cant be an NFL starter? What if he knows that you have to be able to make all the throws in this league? What if he knows it would take Mariota 2-3-4 years to be NFL ready?

The Kelly/ Mariota connection is just slightly less shallow than the Kelly/ Manziel one from a year ago.
If Kelly thinks Mariota isn't the guy he won't trade up to draft him. We are message board posters, we are basing our conversations on hypotheticals and assumptions. We assume Kelly loves the guy based on his public comments about him.

The fact that Kelly actually coached Mariota and saw him probably on a daily basis makes his connection more than just "slightly less shallow" than his relationship with Manziel whom he simply recruited.

Ideally, I'd want them to spend the first couple rounds going BPA while trying to incorporate need. Waynes, Collins, Peters, one of them should be there at 20. Then maybe if someone like Hunley or a QB that Chip has scouted from the FBS ranks drops to Rd 4 and he wants to take a flyer on them then i'd be OK with that. Would not want to try and move up for Mariota. If he miraculous dropped the 20 though and they picked I wouldn't be upset about it.

Its a weird situation:

Chips halfway thru his deal....and if he's not going to stay longer than that ( Ray Didinger theorized that)....than I absolutely don't want him selling out the future for Mariota.

If by getting Mariota, Chip is tacitly saying that he's staying for a longer haul, than I'm absolutely fine with him doing it; as long as he's only moving draft picks to do so. I think this team is a couple of FAs from being a legit Super Bowl contender and to throw good young players into a trade for Mariota (Cox/Kendricks have been mentioned) doesn't work for me. The irony of that situation is that trading Foles could get some picks back, but I don't think the Eagles would be a SB contender if Mariota was starting as a rookie.

Bigboy10182000 said:
He knew Josh Huff too

If Kelly thinks Mariota isn't the guy he won't trade up to draft him. We are message board posters, we are basing our conversations on hypotheticals and assumptions. We assume Kelly loves the guy based on his public comments about him.

The fact that Kelly actually coached Mariota and saw him probably on a daily basis makes his connection more than just "slightly less shallow" than his relationship with Manziel whom he simply recruited.
The bold is exactly what makes it shallow. Do you really expect him to say something negative about him or ANY former Oregon player? If you're discussing who we're picking based on what Chip has, or would say, about any players he's coached or recruited than we're picking them all. Go read how he talked about Huff and Hart from a year ago. If youre going just off of that they should have, or would have been picked ahead of Smith and Matthews.

The connection is made because coached him and than applying the glass half full approach of what we would be here. That's shallow.

Take it for what it is, but Philly.com poll shows that, among other things, 90% of voters want Foles back next year.

Other unsurprising ones: 96% and 86% for Fletcher and Williams to go, respectively. Nate Allen 88% to go.

94% want Chip to stay, 63% want Howie gone.

Bigboy10182000 said:
He knew Josh Huff too

The bold is exactly what makes it shallow. Do you really expect him to say something negative about him or ANY former Oregon player? If you're discussing who we're picking based on what Chip has, or would say, about any players he's coached or recruited than we're picking them all. Go read how he talked about Huff and Hart from a year ago. If youre going just off of that they should have, or would have been picked ahead of Smith and Matthews.

The connection is made because coached him and than applying the glass half full approach of what we would be here. That's shallow.
Kelly owes nothing to Mariotta. Look at what Carroll did to Taylor Mays a few years ago, told him he was going to draft him and then took one of the safeties he has now. Kelly already knows if he thinks Mariotta will make it in the league or not, he can think it and not tell anyone. If he knows Mariotta is the guy then he makes the move to get him, if he doesn't think it he just stays where he is and when the public asks he can say it was just too much to move up to get him and it would have ruined our team.

Bigboy10182000 said:
He knew Josh Huff too

Kelly owes nothing to Mariotta. Look at what Carroll did to Taylor Mays a few years ago, told him he was going to draft him and then took one of the safeties he has now. Kelly already knows if he thinks Mariotta will make it in the league or not, he can think it and not tell anyone. If he knows Mariotta is the guy then he makes the move to get him, if he doesn't think it he just stays where he is and when the public asks he can say it was just too much to move up to get him and it would have ruined our team.
These are not related. Kelly pumping Mariota up and saying great things are just what coaches do...pretty much all the time. If Andy Reid were asked his thoughts on Reno Mahee he would have nothing but nice things to say as well. I find it a little odd that I have to explain this.

If anyone is saying one of the signs of Mariota is coming here is the glowing remarks from Kelly they're reaching. He'd have nothing but nice things to say about any former player even though he owes them nothing.

Bigboy10182000 said:
He knew Josh Huff too

It doesn't make it shallow if you look at how Kelly praises Nick Foles. He gives him only coach-speak praise. You can tell by the enthusiasm in his voice that he really, truly like Mariota as a person and a player. Foles is more like the red-headed step-child.

Bigboy10182000 said:
He knew Josh Huff too

It doesn't make it shallow if you look at how Kelly praises Nick Foles. He gives him only coach-speak praise. You can tell by the enthusiasm in his voice that he really, truly like Mariota as a person and a player. Foles is more like the red-headed step-child.
"I have great faith in Nick and I think he’s a hell of a quarterback," Kelly said. "I think sometimes he gets banged too much, but I wish there was more people like Nick Foles in our lives.”

Like I said, coach-speak praise with a passive-aggressive knock.

Now go look at the things he said about Mariota.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, coach-speak praise with a passive-aggressive knock.

Now go look at the things he said about Mariota.
Now go look at the things he said about Mark Sanchez.
“I think Marcus will be successful whether he’s an NFL player, a banker, a teacher, a fireman, a policeman,” Kelly said Monday on 94WIP in Philly. “I’ve said it before about some other players, but if you can buy stock in a human being, you buy stock in that kid because he’ll always be successful in anything he does. . . . I felt lucky that I had an opportunity to coach a young man like that. When you listen to his [Heisman Trophy] acceptance speech, I think it’s maybe a sliver of what we got the chance to experience every day to be around him. He’s a special young man. I know I’m better person for being associated with him.”

Kelly’s comments follow last week’s glowing remarks about Mariota, whom Kelly pegged to win a Heisman Trophy as a freshman and whom Kelly said has a “gift for playing football,” that he’s “everything you want,” that he “can throw the ball, he can run,” and that he’s “the most talented kid that I coached in college.”

What do we actually make of Foles' future?

There are 3 scenario's here and I want to take a quick look at them all. 1. They draft Mariota but let him sit for lets say ~10 games if not the whole season. That makes Foles the starter next year (seems likely anyway considering most people are saying Mariota needs to sit for a bit). I'd say he has proven his value as a starter in the league with a floor of being "average" hence this past year. And that makes 2015 as Foles' "audition" year for another team if they decide to go with Mariota after the 2015 season.

Scenario 2: They draft Mariota, he looks good and they end up starting him for the entire 2015 season. Foles sits on the bench for a year (assuming Mariota is successful), and gets traded or signs somewhere else and is granted a starter position for a different team. Again I would say he's proven he can be a starter in the league and this would be situation dependent. I would think he'd be a hot item for teams that want a QB who couldn't get one in this poor draft class

Scenario 3: They don't draft Mariota and build a stronger defense making the all around team better and Foles has the weapons and the team around him to be solid dare I say superbowl contenders?

All 3 scenario's seem to lead to Foles at least given an opportunity to be a starter following the 2015 season unless he is unsuccessful during the 2015 season.

There are 3 scenario's here and I want to take a quick look at them all. 1. They draft Mariota but let him sit for lets say ~10 games if not the whole season. That makes Foles the starter next year (seems likely anyway considering most people are saying Mariota needs to sit for a bit). I'd say he has proven his value as a starter in the league with a floor of being "average" hence this past year. And that makes 2015 as Foles' "audition" year for another team if they decide to go with Mariota after the 2015 season.

Scenario 2: They draft Mariota, he looks good and they end up starting him for the entire 2015 season. Foles sits on the bench for a year (assuming Mariota is successful), and gets traded or signs somewhere else and is granted a starter position for a different team. Again I would say he's proven he can be a starter in the league and this would be situation dependent. I would think he'd be a hot item for teams that want a QB who couldn't get one in this poor draft class

Scenario 3: They don't draft Mariota and build a stronger defense making the all around team better and Foles has the weapons and the team around him to be solid dare I say superbowl contenders?

All 3 scenario's seem to lead to Foles at least given an opportunity to be a starter following the 2015 season unless he is unsuccessful during the 2015 season.
I think there's a Scenario 4

Foles is part of the deal to get Mariota or Foles is moved to recoup picks used to get Mariota. Foles not being here in 15 is more likely than anything else if they draft Mariota...Foles will walk next year and they won't get anything.

-CE- said:
Deamon said:
This reminds me of the Geno love for last year only to have us pass twice. If/ when Manziel is there we'll pass again and then next year we can talk about what we should do when/ if Marriota is there.
Geno Smith didn't play at Oregon in the exact same system for Chip Kelly, win a Heisman trophy, have the same mental and physical tools or have the same on the field production. Other than that, they're exactly the same.
Manziel won the Heisman. Kelly wanted him for his offense at Oregon. Still passed and he didn't have to give up anything for him. As efficient as Mariota may be, he won't be year one or even two. So where does that put us?
He passed on him after Foles had an amazing year. After Foles' mediocre year, he may pull the trigger.
Can you guys explain this to me... Foles was passing for 270 yards a game, was 5-2 as a starter (with the two losses being away games to the 49ers and Cards, games that were still close and winnable against good opponents) and while his TO ratio was more or less 1:1, I don't see the reason to throw in the towel on him.

But every Iggles fan I know is chomping at the bit to replace him. I think he's a decent QB, what am I missing? Are you guys just pissed that your team failed with Mark Sanchez under center, a guy who has failed teams like the Jets and USC Trojans before...?
Not every Eagles fan. There are plenty of us here who would rather give Foles another year than spend a premium pick on a replacement. I'd be sick if they traded up for a QB.
But would you be ok with using a 2nd rounder on a QB project? That's what makes me sick.
Not really, but if a guy projected to be an early first slide to the 20th, or if a guy projected late1st/early 2nd slides to the late 2nd, I wouldn't be "sick" to see them take him. I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'd get over it easily enough.

I think there's a Scenario 4

Foles is part of the deal to get Mariota or Foles is moved to recoup picks used to get Mariota. Foles not being here in 15 is more likely than anything else if they draft Mariota...Foles will walk next year and they won't get anything.
That could happen too, but that makes Foles still a likely starter (or in a competition to be a starter) for 2015 with whatever his new team would be. Lets say it's one of the top teams that need a QB, making it Buccs/Titans/Jets/Rams/Browns/Texans/Bills all of whom are infront of the Eagles. Worst case he'd be in competition with Bradford or Mallett, and there would be a chance he could do that. Other than that he'd be a day 1 starter for those teams. Any way you slice it he's still a valuable QB to own on your dynasty teams.

If we step away from the pipe dream for a moment, we can take a look at some names the Eagles should target with the 20th pick.

Obviously if a guy like Landon Collins falls, I think you have to take him but most mocks have him going to Chicago at 9.

Trae Waynes could fall there and has good attributes for a CB.

Andrus Peat is a late first tackle that has a combination of speed and size similar to Lane Johnson. Could start out at guard and take over for Peters once he's done.

Kevin Johnson at CB is another guy who can press and stay with WRs according to his scouting report.

Marcus Peters has some character issues but if he can play the way they say he can, it won't matter. A bit undersized but can flat out cover.

Cedric Ogbeuhi is going in the high teens right now but another athletic tackle that would fit the scheme well.

Lots of solid talent that could contribute right away.

If we step away from the pipe dream for a moment, we can take a look at some names the Eagles should target with the 20th pick.

Obviously if a guy like Landon Collins falls, I think you have to take him but most mocks have him going to Chicago at 9.

Trae Waynes could fall there and has good attributes for a CB.

Andrus Peat is a late first tackle that has a combination of speed and size similar to Lane Johnson. Could start out at guard and take over for Peters once he's done.

Kevin Johnson at CB is another guy who can press and stay with WRs according to his scouting report.

Marcus Peters has some character issues but if he can play the way they say he can, it won't matter. A bit undersized but can flat out cover.

Cedric Ogbeuhi is going in the high teens right now but another athletic tackle that would fit the scheme well.

Lots of solid talent that could contribute right away.
Any sleeper LB'S projecting a few rounds later we should go ahead and snag?

-CE- said:
Deamon said:

Not really, but if a guy projected to be an early first slide to the 20th, or if a guy projected late1st/early 2nd slides to the late 2nd, I wouldn't be "sick" to see them take him. I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'd get over it easily enough.
I just don't understand those that don't want to make a trade up for Mariota but then spend a 2nd rounder on a lesser QB. Thats telling me they think QB is a need/hole. If that's the case then get the best one possible for your offense. If not then you're good with Foles and you draft all defense or OLine, what's really needed.

Billy Bats said:
renesauz said:
-CE- said:

I just don't understand those that don't want to make a trade up for Mariota but then spend a 2nd rounder on a lesser QB. Thats telling me they think QB is a need/hole. If that's the case then get the best one possible for your offense. If not then you're good with Foles and you draft all defense or OLine, what's really needed.
There's still a potential "need" at the backup QB spot, and having a little bit of competition at QB is never a bad thing. There are much bigger needs in Philly though, which is why I'd prefer not to go QB this year, instead planning on Foles with Sanchez backing him up. That said, if a great value presents itself, particularly if it's a player Chip really likes, I wouldn't go sideways taking a QB with one of our SCHEDULED picks.

The bust rate on QBs is simply too high and too costly to give up multiple high picks for a QB. That doesn't mean you should never spend a single high pick for one. IMO, the best idea with QB's is to spend a late 1st or a 2nd on one every other year until you find a quality starter. If you happen to have a top 10 pick and a guy like Luck appears, grab him, but NEVER trade multiple 1sts to move up for one. The "hit" rate one late 1s and seconds for QBs is really not that much lower than in the top of the first, and the busts are much easier to overcome.

LeSean McCoy backs Nick Foles as Eagles 2015 starter

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 17, 2015, 10:36 AM EST

Philadelphia Eagles v Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Getty Images

Eagles coach Chip Kelly says it will take some time to determine who the starting quarterback is this year. But LeSean McCoy has no doubts.

McCoy said on NFL Network that Nick Foles should remain the starter, and that players in the locker room view Foles as their team leader.

I like Nick. The person and player that everybody thought he was, he is. There were a lot of injuries this year, Nick, obviously got injured. He gets all of the blame and he shouldnt, McCoy said. I think Nicks a good quarterback. Hes the leader of our team. Things just didnt work out for him this year due to injury, but weve got his back. As a team, we didnt play well enough to win and get into the playoffs.

Foles was off to a mediocre start to the season when he suffered a broken collarbone on November 2, and that raised questions about whether hes the right quarterback for the job in Philadelphia. However, there may not be any better options in free agency, and it seems unlikely that Kelly would be able to get his old Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota in the draft. McCoy is probably right that Foles will keep the job, even if Kelly hasnt said so yet.

@JimmyKempski: Eagles mock draft roundup:

http://t.co/09fnRmTcvO

Eagles mock draft roundup

Opinions vary on Eagles potential top pick

EAGLES NFL PHILADELPHIA EAGLES DRAFT

BY JIMMY KEMPSKI

PhillyVoice Staff

The Super Bowl isn't even over yet, and mock draft season has already begun. Like fat kids in a candy store, we can't help but lose self control. So we click on them.

Here's a roundup of who the draft guys have the Eagles taking:

Mel Kiper, ESPN: Marcus Peters, CB, Washington

"I wouldn't say the Eagles were a total mess at cornerback last season, but Brandon Boykin was arguably the best performer for them, though that was in a little more than 500 snaps. They really need to add talent at the position, and, in that regard, Peters is arguably the best cornerback in the entire draft. He's strong, can press, has outstanding awareness and has big-time ball skills. His footwork can be sloppy, but that's a symptom of a guy with the talent to make up for it. Peters has question marks when it comes to coachability, as he was dismissed from the team at Washington. The draft process will tell us whether that's construed as "competitive" or "hard to deal with," but there's no question the kid can play."

#JimmyNote: To begin, I would absolutely say the Eagles were indeed a total mess at cornerback last year. As for Peters, however, there's no way in hell. Enormous character concerns. Chip isn't touching this guy with a 10-foot pole.

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com: Landon Collins, S, Alabama

Collins would be a huge upgrade in Philadelphia and his physical play style fits the NFC East."

#JimmyNote: I'd be surprised if Collins fell to 20, but if does, sure, go get him. The Eagles' need at safety has been obvious for almost a decade now, and Collins can play.

Chris Burke, Sports Illustrated: Kevin White, WR, West Virginia

"Let's go ahead and assume the Eagles re-sign Jeremy Maclin, one way or another. He and Jordan Matthews form a solid 1-2 punch in the passing game. White could push the WR unit over the top. Standing 6-3 and possessing the talent to win at any level of the field, White would be the outside threat Philadelphia thought it had in Riley Cooper."

#JimmyNote: Again, I'd be surprised if White fell to 20, but Burke's reasoning for the pick is dead on. A trio of Maclin-White-Matthews would be very difficult for opposing defenses to deal with.

Yea no way they can justify selling the farm for Mariota. If he falls to 20, I'd concede that Chip will take him but we need defense and oline bad. Free Agency is less than 50 days away.

After watching the games yesterday they better draft defense and I'm now OK if they want to shell out some Revis money a backup tight end with good hands
That obviously played a huge role but I thought both teams played incredible D. Both QB's looked pretty average to below average and up until that last drive by GB I dont think they had a 4th quarter first down
haha ya, was mostly kidding on the edit.

Foles 100% would have had a better 1st half then Wilson did yesterday.

“Whatever team gets him is going to be great. I’d love to see him land in Philadelphia,” Randall Cunningham said during a phone interview on Thursday's edition of Comcast SportsNet's Philly Sports Talk.

“I think he’s going to do great. And whatever it takes — nothing against (Mark) Sanchez and the other quarterbacks there, but if somehow, someway Chip (Kelly) gets his boy there, whether through trade or whatever it takes and they protect him, he is the kind of leader you want in Philadelphia. He is not a talker, he’s not going to get in trouble or cause problems. He’s going to create unity.”

Mariota, the Heisman Trophy winner, should be one of the top two quarterbacks selected in the draft along with Jameis Winston, but there are questions concerning how much time he'll need to develop and adjust to the pro game. Especially after the Ducks' loss to Ohio State in the title game.

That doesn't concern Cunningham, however.

“That’s a great thing. If he’s being talked about, he must be doing something right,” Cunningham said. “He has a lot of value.”

What sets Mariota apart is his makeup, according to Cunningham, who recalled Monday’s National Championship game when the Oregon quarterback briefly left the game after what could have been considered unnecessary roughness.

“If you saw what happened when he got hurt, his offensive linemen got emotional and took personal fouls because they loved their quarterback so much,” Cunningham said. “They love Marcus. When you look up in the stands and see his parents, they’re not drinking beer and acting crazy. They’re respectable people and that’s what you’re going to get out of a kid like that.”

@ZBerm: Eagles name Cory Undlin defensive backs coach and Justin Peelle tight ends coach. They move Ted Williams and John Lovett to pro scouting.

@GeoffMosherCSN: Lateral move for Undlin, who was DBs coach for the Broncos for the past two years.

@Eagles: DBs Coach Undlin's 2014 Denver secondary produced three Pro Bowlers, was 3rd in yards allowed and 9th in passing yards permitted.

@EliotShorrParks: Yup. #Eagles RT @therealjimaros: 4th Coach in 4 years for Foles when you factor in he had Doug Pederson under Reid in '12

“Whatever team gets him is going to be great. I’d love to see him land in Philadelphia,” Randall Cunningham said during a phone interview on Thursday's edition of Comcast SportsNet's Philly Sports Talk.

“I think he’s going to do great. And whatever it takes — nothing against (Mark) Sanchez and the other quarterbacks there, but if somehow, someway Chip (Kelly) gets his boy there, whether through trade or whatever it takes and they protect him, he is the kind of leader you want in Philadelphia. He is not a talker, he’s not going to get in trouble or cause problems. He’s going to create unity.”

Mariota, the Heisman Trophy winner, should be one of the top two quarterbacks selected in the draft along with Jameis Winston, but there are questions concerning how much time he'll need to develop and adjust to the pro game. Especially after the Ducks' loss to Ohio State in the title game.

That doesn't concern Cunningham, however.

“That’s a great thing. If he’s being talked about, he must be doing something right,” Cunningham said. “He has a lot of value.”

What sets Mariota apart is his makeup, according to Cunningham, who recalled Monday’s National Championship game when the Oregon quarterback briefly left the game after what could have been considered unnecessary roughness.

“If you saw what happened when he got hurt, his offensive linemen got emotional and took personal fouls because they loved their quarterback so much,” Cunningham said. “They love Marcus. When you look up in the stands and see his parents, they’re not drinking beer and acting crazy. They’re respectable people and that’s what you’re going to get out of a kid like that.”
Seems like he is describing Foles, as far as personality. And didn't a fight break out on the field when Baker took the cheap shot on Foles early in the season? C'mon Randall, you're going to have to do better than that to convince me that Mariota is better than Foles.

With all due respect, why would Cunningham's opinion be given any weight in this circumstance? and what is he talking about with the parents? When have we ever seen a kid's parents drinking beer and acting crazy in the stands?

@EliotShorrParks: #Eagles scouts are squad deep here. Must be close to 15 here at the weigh in.

@EliotShorrParks: Devin Smith (WR, OSU) comes in under 6-1 at 6-0, but still great size for WR that runs 4.3 & averaged 28ypc. One of my fav prospects #Eagles

@EliotShorrParks: Josh Shaw, CB from USC, comes in at 6-0, 198. Could be good mid round option for #Eagles, but stock is going up.

@EliotShorrParks: Sean Mannion, QB from Oregon State, comes in at 6'5, 229. Looks a lot like Foles in body build. #eagles

@EliotShorrParks: As the weigh-ins go on, here is a look at the 20 prospects I think will interest #Eagles today: http://t.co/ks5ajqeZml

@SheilKapadia: Kelly has a full plate this week. Three things we're keeping an eye on at the Senior Bowl: http://t.co/ku0MGcbYHZ http://t.co/NCA9kftJ19

image: http://cdn.phillymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/petty_940_0119152.jpg

Jerome Miron / USA Today

Jerome Miron / USA Today

MOBILE, Ala. Welcome to the Senior Bowl, where Ill be stationed until Thursday. Here are three things well be watching throughout the week.

1. Still searching for a personnel exec.

image: http://t.brand-server.com/imp?ic=GWbKtdBN57KPsxFGtSRZLkPSANv5cZBTdAhvrky7ltTXtGZXg9cEyCxmgqYiBhFh3TS-x.KKEvbaikOa89g8jyFF6V-SOKeHpI1fG4GJj4QJwU6P4-48q8HFV1epbgk-bAHjNFNXK.sC6voNuOV4xKNwMVV41234WjHtO--jDb2dbsbUetfuY.O9k8WT9XStjxCQiVjmsFaJyknHFnP3YvvBm4SgVyuJezoK853Qexy8CjAMsOjMpBMbngrBlidba8znjE1iYnblVd9pMCImRZX2KNqUP-hbIaRTc5S8gK8L-hivDOrR3z7M

Last year, after one of the practices down here, Howie Roseman set up shop in the bleachers at Ladd-Peebles Stadium with a handful of reporters. He answered questions about the Eagles' first season under Chip Kelly. He looked ahead to free agency and the draft. And he discussed the difficulty in scouting safety prospects. It was a casual sitdown with the GM, something that happened every year in Mobile.

But things have changed. Roseman is not even at the event this year, and Kelly is searching for his new personnel executive.

It's been 18 days since the Eagles sent out a statement on behalf of Jeffrey Lurie, announcing that Kelly would hire his own right-hand man. But so far, the head coach has come up empty. Names of internal candidates like Ed Marynowitz have been floated out there. External candidates like Tampa Bay Bucs director of player personnel Jon Robinson have either been blocked or have declined to interview.

There is some ambiguity about what the new person will do. Kelly has final say on personnel, and Roseman is still expected to handle the cap/contracts.

As of Monday morning, there are no indications that Kelly is close to hiring someone.

But the Senior Bowl is unique in that coaches, scouts and personnel people are all in one confined space for a few days. This is a favorable setting for Kelly to continue his search, and don't be surprised if some new names pop up in the coming days.

2. Looking for a QBs coach.

SPONSORED CONTENT

Suggested: Boost Your Metabolism with These 3 Easy Hacks

The Raiders announced yesterday that they're bringing on Bill Musgrave as their offensive coordinator. That means for a fourth straight season, the Eagles will have a new quarterbacks coach.

In particular, this affects Nick Foles, who has yet to have the same position coach for more than one season. But it also affects the group as a whole. The truth is we have no idea what the Eagles' quarterback situation will look like going into Week 1 of the 2015 season. Will they make a move in the draft? Will they bring back Mark Sanchez in a backup role? Really, anything is in play.

This is an important hire for Kelly. As mentioned in the first point, the Senior Bowl is in many ways an unofficial job fair. Kelly will be able to talk to potential candidates while down here. We'll find out in the coming days and weeks who he comes up with.

3. Scouting the players.

For the first time in three years, Kelly will be running the draft without any assistance from Roseman or Tom Gamble. The Eagles have a team of scouts and assistant coaches down here, but Kelly is running the show.

There are plenty of positions to keep an eye on, the most obvious of which are cornerback and safety. The quarterback group here isn't considered particularly strong, but there are some interesting names like Baylor's Bryce Petty.

The Eagles need to get younger on the offensive line. They could look at an inside linebacker early, and given that Brandon Graham is a free agent and Trent Cole is 32, outside linebacker is another area to keep an eye on.

If you want specific names, below are some lists to check out. And if you're curious about a specific prospect, e-mail or Tweet me.

In the meantime, here are some snippets from around the Web.

Jimmy Kempski of The Philly Voice has 10 players to watch, including Michigan State safety Kurtis Drummond:

Drummond was part of Michigan State's "No fly zone" defense. He is a cover safety with good size and ball-hawking skills. If the Eagles are looking for safeties who can handle slot receivers a la Malcolm Jenkins, a player like Drummond should be on their radar.

In a PhiladelphiaEagles.com piece, Tony Pauline offers thoughts on Petty:

Petty put up the passing yards in college faster than AJ Foyt raced around the Indianapolis Speedway back in the day. But is Petty a product of the Baylor system and does he possess the necessary arm strength to play on Sundays? His ability to drive deep throws in one-on-one drills and play within an NFL system during full scrimmage is critical.

Gil Brandt of NFL.com on USC DB Josh Shaw:

USC's Josh Shaw probably has the most upside among Senior Bowl prospects as far as draft position goes. Everybody's looking for tall defensive backs in today's game, and at 6-foot-1 1/2, 205 pounds, Shaw has excellent size and reminds me a little of Glover Quin of the Detroit Lions because of his ability to play both cornerback and safety. Shaw came into last week's East-West Shrine Game as a bit of a question mark because of the suspension he served this past season for fabricating a story about his ankle injury, but he really presented himself well at the Shrine Game, answering every question honestly, and I don't think there should be any concerns about his character entering the draft. I'm most interested in finding out which position he'll be best suited for in the NFL. Specifically, I want to see how he fares in man coverage against the kind of talent we're going to see at the Senior Bowl. He'll get plenty of work at it this week.

Josh Norris of Rotoworld on Miami (OH) CB Quinten Rollins:

Three corners will get plenty of run in 1 on 1s. First, Miami (OH)s Quinten Rollins. The four year basketball player has one year of FBS football under his belt. His cross-sport movements skills are obvious at a position which the best display patience and footwork. Add on aggressive ball skills and you have a potential first-round pick.

Dane Brugler of CBSSports.com on Pittsburgh offensive tackle T.J. Clemmings:

My favorite prospect in Mobile this week, Clemmings has been climbing draft boards throughout the season and a positive week at the Senior Bowl could make him the consensus top senior at tackle. A former defensive end, Clemmings is a mauler who dominates in the run game, but his performance during pass protection drills will be closely scrutinized.

Oh no....

Report: Eagles to try to move up for Mariota
9385.jpg

A source tells NJ.com that the Eagles will "try" to move up in the NFL draft to select Oregon QB Marcus Mariota.
NJ.com's source is "familiar with the Eagles' offseason plans." Of course, anyone can connect the dots from coach Chip Kelly to Mariota. Kelly recruited Mariota to Oregon, called him the most talented kid he ever coached in college and immobile Nick Foles was shaky before getting injured last season. Moving up from No. 20 in the draft to the top-two would be extremely costly (as the Redskins found out in the RG3 trade), but it's possible Mariota slips a bit as the draft process plays out.

Oh no....

9385.jpg

A source tells NJ.com that the Eagles will "try" to move up in the NFL draft to select Oregon QB Marcus Mariota.
NJ.com's source is "familiar with the Eagles' offseason plans." Of course, anyone can connect the dots from coach Chip Kelly to Mariota. Kelly recruited Mariota to Oregon, called him the most talented kid he ever coached in college and immobile Nick Foles was shaky before getting injured last season. Moving up from No. 20 in the draft to the top-two would be extremely costly (as the Redskins found out in the RG3 trade), but it's possible Mariota slips a bit as the draft process plays out.
As the article points out, the only way this happens is if he slips. Even then, it will probably be too costly.

Oh no....

9385.jpg

As the article points out, the only way this happens is if he slips. Even then, it will probably be too costly.
True, but what if he goes to 3. Would Jax take this year's 2nd and next year's 1st? (plus our first this year of course)

Deamon said:
Snotbubbles said:
Deamon said:
Oh no....

9385.jpg

True, but what if he goes to 3. Would Jax take this year's 2nd and next year's 1st? (plus our first this year of course)
No. It would take a swap of 1sts, 2 additional 1st and probably more (not sure what). Even then, it would probably be more tempting to take a similar package from a team in the top 10 because the future picks have a higher chance of being better. Even if Mariota didn't play a down for Philly this year they're probably drafting in the late teens early 20s.

I wouldn't even draft a QB in this draft outside of the top two guys and even those two I don't think will be anything special.

Users who are viewing this thread