What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (5 Viewers)

Tunsil, Stanley, and Conklin seem to be the top 3 OT as of now in mocks (in that order). Don't seem to be any other even going top 20. Would love to go OL here. A few mocks have Conklin coming to us as the 3rd OT off the board.

Gotta think Goff will go #2 to Cleveland. That will be even more intriguing for Chip, to go coach another Pac 12 player.

Kind of intrigued by the idea of bringing in McDermott and keeping Shurmur. McDermott brings in a coordinator like Rapone (ARI) as DC to help with the transition. Shurmur handles the O and keeps continuity.

Of course it won't necessarily be these guys, but in terms of matches McDermott and Shurmur have deep Philly roots.
I wouldn't be against that, makes a lot of sense I think.

Of course it won't necessarily be these guys, but in terms of matches McDermott and Shurmur have deep Philly roots.
I don't get this, the same as Kelly's #Culture > Talent BS, but then I'm not a local. Does it really matter to you guys?

I believe it's much easier for an Offense centric team and therefore HC to succeed but of the DCs available McDermott might be the pick. The solution to anything though, doesn't begin with the words "Because Pat Shurmur..."

He's a solid assistant coach and I like what he did with the Offense today, but let's not go crazy. Bradford can be franchised if the new HC wants it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get this, the same as Kelly's #Culture > Talent BS, but then I'm not a local. Does it really matter to you guys?

I believe it's much easier for an Offense centric team and therefore HC to succeed but of the DCs available McDermott might be the pick. The solution to anything though, doesn't begin with the words "Because Pat Shurmur..."

He's a solid coach and I like what he did with the Offense today, but let's not go crazy. Bradford can be franchised if the new HC wants it that way.
Doesn't matter one bit to me. Owner Jeff Lurie said in the latest presser it matters to him. And he's hiring.

ETA of the top 10 defenses, 8 made the playoffs. I prefer to build that way. In this scenario, I would want to keep Shurmur as the OC bc of his rapport with Sam and the fact he and McDermott worked together under Reid.

Did I miss this article being posted in here? http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25435367/chip-kellys-people-skills-a-large-part-of-his-undoing-in-philadelphia

For instance, Lurie has always taken considerable pride in the team's holiday party, going to great expense to throw the large gathering, with it becoming something of a prized tradition with him. According to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation, Kelly basically refused to attend it this year on its normal Monday night, and ultimately Lurie had to move it to a Friday afternoon onsite to facilitate Kelly's schedule. Kelly argued Monday night would disrupt the coach's planning for the week -- a fair enough claim -- but Lurie apologized to the organization for the haphazard way the party was conducted this year and told others it would not happen in that fashion ever again.

In and of itself, it's not a big deal, but given the timing, with the team falling out of the playoffs around Christmas and with the atmosphere in the organization growing more toxic, it exemplified the growing divide between the way Kelly operated and what Lurie wanted his organization to be. "That's just part of a long list of reasons why Jeffrey made this move," said one source close to the situation, "but the whole thing with the Christmas party just epitomizes the split from what Jeffrey wants the Eagles to be, and what he felt like they were becoming."

Tunsil, Stanley, and Conklin seem to be the top 3 OT as of now in mocks (in that order). Don't seem to be any other even going top 20. Would love to go OL here. A few mocks have Conklin coming to us as the 3rd OT off the board.
Was thinking Stanley before Chip was gone because of his athleticism buy now I'd be happy with any of them.

Did I miss this article being posted in here? http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25435367/chip-kellys-people-skills-a-large-part-of-his-undoing-in-philadelphia

For instance, Lurie has always taken considerable pride in the team's holiday party, going to great expense to throw the large gathering, with it becoming something of a prized tradition with him. According to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation, Kelly basically refused to attend it this year on its normal Monday night, and ultimately Lurie had to move it to a Friday afternoon onsite to facilitate Kelly's schedule. Kelly argued Monday night would disrupt the coach's planning for the week -- a fair enough claim -- but Lurie apologized to the organization for the haphazard way the party was conducted this year and told others it would not happen in that fashion ever again.

In and of itself, it's not a big deal, but given the timing, with the team falling out of the playoffs around Christmas and with the atmosphere in the organization growing more toxic, it exemplified the growing divide between the way Kelly operated and what Lurie wanted his organization to be. "That's just part of a long list of reasons why Jeffrey made this move," said one source close to the situation, "but the whole thing with the Christmas party just epitomizes the split from what Jeffrey wants the Eagles to be, and what he felt like they were becoming."
Yep, was posted a couple pages back.

Was thinking Stanley before Chip was gone because of his athleticism buy now I'd be happy with any of them.
Saw Tunsil go #1 a couple times so he's probably out of the question. Hope Stanley slips or else maybe go Conklin or even trade back for Conklin.... all depending on how the next few months shake out and how they look at the combine.

He's a solid coach and I like what he did with the Offense today, but let's not go crazy. Bradford can be franchised if the new HC wants it that way.
Doesn't matter one bit to me. Owner Jeff Lurie said in the latest presser it matters to him. And he's hiring.

ETA of the top 10 defenses, 8 made the playoffs. I prefer to build that way. In this scenario, I would want to keep Shurmur as the OC bc of his rapport with Sam and the fact he and McDermott worked together under Reid.
8 of the Top 10 Offenses (by Points/game) made the playoffs too, but I don't hate that scenario. I just think they might be able to do better. That said, I've been pretty bad trying to figure out which NFL assistants will make good HCs, so I'm not going to really argue for anyone in particular.

Yep, was posted a couple pages back.
That article and the 'Chip threatened to bench Jordan Matthews for spinning the ball after scoring' articles made me LOL today.

Bold Prediction:

Chip goes to Tennessee.... trades #1 pick to Dallas who selects Goff.... Screws Philly for years.

That article and the 'Chip threatened to bench Jordan Matthews for spinning the ball after scoring' articles made me LOL today.
Yeah, Howie's definitely been busy.

He's one thing that still does concern me. Since he seems to be pretty much like Lurie's adopted son, how accountable is he? Will his actual responsibilities and authority be clarified so his decisions can be evaluated? All Lurie's talk of decisions being made by "consensus", rarely works and takes exactly the right combination of people, which is hard to do. Without clear lines of authority it's more likely to turn into a toxic cluster####, particularly if Lurie thinks Howie can do no wrong.

Bold Prediction:

Chip goes to Tennessee.... trades #1 pick to Dallas who selects Goff.... Screws Philly for years.
I think Johnny Football might save us from that.....what a moron.
Ya that's crazy. Just saw the story:

"The Browns are "so done" with Manziel, and he "wants to go to Dallas.""
Surely even they wouldn't have him though? Even Jerruh must be able to see he can't play QB in the NFL and he's a massive tool.

I would contribute to a kickstarter or something to pay his NFL salary in Dallas, just to see it happen though.

I'm on board with a switch to a 4-3 defensive coordinator. Someone from the Seahawks that can maximize Maxwell and has picked up on their philosophy would be promising...

I'm on board with a switch to a 4-3 defensive coordinator. Someone from the Seahawks that can maximize Maxwell and has picked up on their philosophy would be promising...
True. Rocky Seto would be amazing then. He'd be my top choice for DC if we have a shot at him. But might not be able to chat with him for quite some time.

EDT: Just read he's been with Pete for 15 years and turned down other offers. Doubt he leaves.

Me too. Would love to see what #91 could do as a 1-gap DT if he's moved around a bit and allowed to penetrate.

ETA: 4-3 Under type scheme with Logan at NT and Cox moved around the line like the Vikings used to do with John Randle would be awesome.

True. Rocky Seto would be amazing then. He'd be my top choice for DC if we have a shot at him. But might not be able to chat with him for quite some time.

EDT: Just read he's been with Pete for 15 years and turned down other offers. Doubt he leaves.
damn.. Something to be said though for knowing your skills and role, and just doing it well. Not everyone is a HC.

Tough to get excited for that unless you are really hitching your wagon to Bradford for the next 5+ years. Never been wowed by Shurmur...did he really do much while here as it was essentially all Chip's O? Before that STL? Meh.
Shurmur got a long run from Demarco. That seems to be a thingReally, none of the coaches mentioned has a resume like Chip did when he was hired(or now). Chip grinded from low levels, won and broke records everywhere he went. The odds of me being disgusted by Lurie hiring some NFL retread that the media signed off on is great. I really hope Lurie, and whatever committee he has, does their hw. None of this bs where the coach and GM can't even have an office near each other after a year or so again.

damn.. Something to be said though for knowing your skills and role, and just doing it well. Not everyone is a HC.
Can you imagine a DC named ROCKY in Philly though????

I wonder how often head coaches with DC backgrounds really impact the defense. I see Offensive-minded HC's continue to call plays, but I suspect rarely do they actually coach the defense. Think we might be better off with an offensive-minded HC, and a solid DC brought in. Although, as long as we can Billy Davis, I'll be happy - there can't be any question he is not cut out for a DC job.,

Interesting hearing Shurmer say he's learned more the past 3 years than any stretch in his coaching career
Ya. As much as someone wants to bash Chip, the guy is an innovative and creative offensive mind. We did lose at least that when we fired him. Maybe Shurmur learned a ton of those good things, and can keep that going as our OC next year. Hell, I even hope he keeps the sports science and the shakes.

Interesting hearing Shurmer say he's learned more the past 3 years than any stretch in his coaching career
Ya. As much as someone wants to bash Chip, the guy is an innovative and creative offensive mind. We did lose at least that when we fired him. Maybe Shurmur learned a ton of those good things, and can keep that going as our OC next year. Hell, I even hope he keeps the sports science and the shakes.
He came in with something different to what everybody else is doing, I'll grant that. Creativity? Not so sure. Where was it when the performance of the unit was sliding downwards over the last two years? There were some nice adjustments we saw through Year 1 but after that it just seemed to run out of steam. If anything I think the offense became less diverse and more predictable as time went on. Some of what I thought were the best elements of it, like the run/pass option components seemed to disappear this season without anything new being introduced to offset the loss. I don't buy the new QB as the excuse either, they managed to teach it to all the players in 2013.

ETA: The sports science stuff is legit though. The Eagles have been one of the healthiest teams in the league during Kelly's tenure, so I do hope they retain the bits of his program that worked well.

The Eagles will interview Pat Shurmur for their head-coaching vacancy on Monday and Bears OC Adam Gase on Tuesday.

Long Ball Larry said:
JAA said:
Hey Mice, what do you not like about Gase?
Prefer we go with a defensive minded coach. Nothing against Gase per se, but not overly impressed with what he's done in Chicago this year. Has Cutler been that good? And I do wonder how much of his Denver success rests with personnel like Manning, Thomas, Sanders, etc.Maybe it's me, but every year there is a 'hot offensive guy' and they seem hit and miss. Plus, as mentioned if our O does very well the OC is likely to be plucked.

That said those in the know seem to rave about his smarts and his youth doesn't scare me off.
I want someone who has experience building a team. Who is a players coach, ala Harbaugh. I think everyone is sleeping on Brian ShawCan someone tell me whats wrong with Brian Shaw other than no NFL experience and a college coach like Chipper?
Bro, it's David Shaw.
yea yea yea, Magic fan back in the day with Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott, Penny, Hardaway, Shaq.

PS - its the 2nd time in the thread ive done it ;)

Mighty Mice said:
I'd really prefer to bring in a defensive minded head coach to oversee the switch to a 4-3 and maximize Cox/Barwin/Graham/Curry/Hicks/Rowe et al. Let Shurmur run the O w/Bradford. They have the history/chemistry and with our RBs and Matthews/Ertz really we just need some offensive line help.

Whatever HC is hired is going to want say on OC/DC most likely but I hope they can manage to retain Shurmur as I think that means we will keep Bradford.
I like the idea of bringing in a defensive minded coach.

Could we see Shurmur retained? Could we see Duce promoted to OC?

I just really want to see Davis gone. Nothing about his system wow'd me. I didnt see him consistent in any aspect of the defense. In addition, I didnt see him make adjustments to holes in his players ability.

Also, count me in the court of someone who doesnt want Payton. Im not sure his system is all that great. He did well with great players, never really was impressive when he lost talent and players aged out. In addition, and feel free to judge this comment, I sincerely see "drug addict" in his eyes. When the whole pill addiction issue came up, it made complete sense just looking at him. If a coach brings a SB to Philly, I could care less about something like this, but up front I think it warrants a check in the con column.

I'm kind of stunned Payton is getting more love.

As a Cowboys fan I'd fire Garrett and give compensation for him in a heartbeat

Users who are viewing this thread