What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2015 Philadelphia Eagles* - Winning when it doesnt count (7 Viewers)

He sounds good to me :shrug:
He sounds OK, but why? I suppose he's OK as someone who could replace DeMeco (which is necessary) but the number of ILBs they have now makes it pretty clear that Kendricks isn't in their plans. If that's a money thing, then OK, but he doesn't have a whole lot more size and doesn't seem like much of an athlete or playmaker.

He sounds good to me :shrug:
He sounds OK, but why? I suppose he's OK as someone who could replace DeMeco (which is necessary) but the number of ILBs they have now makes it pretty clear that Kendricks isn't in their plans. If that's a money thing, then OK, but he doesn't have a whole lot more size and doesn't seem like much of an athlete or playmaker.
If Kiko Alonso is healthy, i have no worries at all about our LBs. that dude is an absolute pleasure to watch. One would think that kelly would at least have an idea that his knee was healing well and everything. The guy is a Pro Bowler for many years if fully healthy and keeps playing like he was

Just don't get why he has to get rid of Kendricks. I like the guy, feel like he is developing into a nice player.

That spot needs a future and security. I'm totally fine with this pick.
Would have preferred a future with Kendricks and Alonso but agree that a Ryans replacement was required.
As good as Kendricks played, the knock on him has been that he's more suited for 4-3 weak side LB. If we can get a 2nd next year or dare to hope for a first, then its worth the flip.

Just don't get why he has to get rid of Kendricks. I like the guy, feel like he is developing into a nice player.
I agree with this but we don't see him everyday.

That is a need position. A tackling machine with great instincts? I'm cool with that.

I love our draft

Would have preferred a future with Kendricks and Alonso but agree that a Ryans replacement was required.
As good as Kendricks played, the knock on him has been that he's more suited for 4-3 weak side LB. If we can get a 2nd next year or dare to hope for a first, then its worth the flip.
Totally agree that's a better position for him, but so what? He finally put it together last year for us at 3-4 ILB. Problem with that scenario is I don't think we get anything like that in return, especially now that it's obvious he's not part of the future here.

I don't know the answer but have any off ball LBs been traded over the last few years? For what picks?

I agree with this but we don't see him everyday.

That is a need position. A tackling machine with great instincts? I'm cool with that.

I love our draft
FWIW, the NFL.com scouting report said the opposite of great instincts. Only sees what's in front of him, robotic and assignment rigid. If you're right, I'd be happier with it. With the age of our OL though, I don't see how it's not a priority.

I agree with this but we don't see him everyday.That is a need position. A tackling machine with great instincts? I'm cool with that.

I love our draft
FWIW, the NFL.com scouting report said the opposite of great instincts. Only sees what's in front of him, robotic and assignment rigid. If you're right, I'd be happier with it. With the age of our OL though, I don't see how it's not a priority.
I only heard what Mel said. He said at the Senior bowl people or wowed with how quickly he diagnosed plays and made the tackle**correction**

It was Todd. Said he diagnosed please quicker than any other linebacker at the Senior bowl bowl

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the logic that Kendricks, Cox, Boykin are as good as gone after next year as they would want to play in different systems so we need to take what we can get? I was hoping these were our building blocks for the future but I guess not. Figured Boykin was out as Chip hates short people but not the other 2.

I agree with this but we don't see him everyday.That is a need position. A tackling machine with great instincts? I'm cool with that.

I love our draft
Would have liked OL there too. On the bright side we got a better LB in the 3rd round this year then we did in the 1st last year.....and I've never even heard of Hicks before.

Is the logic that Kendricks, Cox, Boykin are as good as gone after next year as they would want to play in different systems so we need to take what we can get? I was hoping these were our building blocks for the future but I guess not. Figured Boykin was out as Chip hates short people but not the other 2.
Cox is staying. They gave him the 5th year. Kendricks and Boykin though, probably gone.

Ryans with an Achilles

Kiko with an ACL

Kendricks gone

Sounds like a stupid pick.
By this logic you can defend any pick. Those are 3 of the best Eagles defenders. Lot of money/picks to spend on 4 guys playing 2 positions.
I don't agree with Kendricks going but if so you absolutely need another guy.
Then I guess it depends on the return for Kendricks but I look at the whole package. Now teams know we have to get rid of Kendricks. He was already playing out of position which likely drives his value down and looks like it will be for future picks. I'd much rather go into next year with a more experienced Kendricks and immediate help elsewhere.

If Cox isn't in the long term plan you need to change the plan. They were able to come to terms with Brandon Graham even though he could have been better used as a 4-3 DE.

I feel like 2 of the final 4 picks need to be OL.
We need depth badly, but we also need starting level talent and you're working with longer shots from here on out. We really needed a guy to challenge Babre this year IMO and we might need 1-2 new starters next year depending on how long Jason Peters wants to play. Can't beleive they would want to do this dance with Mathis again next offseason as well, and he'll be 35 during that season.

I thought we had rated Kendricks at 3rd round value?

"This was a guy we had ranked higher than anyone on the board,'' Kelly said. "We had him in the second round. There wasn't anyone even close to him at this point. He's a three-down linebacker. We like that. We want three-down linebackers. That's what Mychal and Kiko are.''

"This was a guy we had ranked higher than anyone on the board,'' Kelly said. "We had him in the second round. There wasn't anyone even close to him at this point. He's a three-down linebacker. We like that. We want three-down linebackers. That's what Mychal and Kiko are.''
I'd feel better about that if he hadn't wanted Taylor Hart in the 3rd last year.

It's telling he didn't include DeMeco in that comparison. Glad he sees it, I'd thought it was time to let him go when they brought Alonso in.

You can see their plan though is to stay in base D as much as possible, by having LBs and S players who can handle different resonsibility types. I'm on board with the expected move of Watkins to S as well. I'm going to try and find some Jordan Hicks film and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Ash said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
I'd feel better about that if he hadn't wanted Taylor Hart in the 3rd last year.

It's telling he didn't include DeMeco in that comparison. Glad he sees it, I'd thought it was time to let him go when they brought Alonso in.

You can see their plan though is to stay in base D as much as possible, by having LBs and S players who can handle different resonsibility types. I'm on board with the expected move of Watkins to S as well. I'm going to try and find some Jordan Hicks film and hope to be pleasantly surprised.
If he views Kendricks as a 3-down ILB why are we moving him again?

Ash said:
Bigboy10182000 said:

If he views Kendricks as a 3-down ILB why are we moving him again?
I think that's the part we all don't get. As much as I didn't want Shady to go, the idea of Kiko and Kendricks flying around was appealing. When they restructured Ryans and now drafted his replacement in the 3rd, seems like they either want to trade Kendricks or just let him go after the year and I don't see why.

Ash said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
I'm going to try and find some Jordan Hicks film and hope to be pleasantly surprised.
Good luck.

so out of all the recent former Eagles, i think the one i may root for the most is Nick Foles. i am sure Maclin will be taken care of by Reid, and both he and Shady have real nice contracts. D-Jax i feel a little for, but if i had to choose one that i hope does the best, i think it may be Foles. anybody else?

There's 3 games on draftbreakdown.com for Jordan Hicks and those are the ones I watched.

Pass coverage is excellent, really quick to pick up his assignment in man and able to stick with backs and TEs. Fluid mover in zone coverage, can turn his hips either way to mirror the QB and has genuine awareness of what's going on beside and behind him, not just in front. Excellent pick vs. Kansas on a play where he used both great awareness to find the target and athletic ability to make a play on a ball the QB thought was safe.

As a run defender he's not as strong, only very infrequently shows the ability to take on a block, shed and make a tackle. Saw several instances of him being swallowed in the hole by a single block while a longish run went through beside him. Tends to stop his feet on contact which makes him a grab and slide type tackler and as a result he tends to fall off tackles a bit. This happened on a play in the Baylor game where he did a nice job holding the corner while the back tried to get outside on a 3rd down run, only to fall off the tackle and allow the 1st down. Happened on another running play in that game and fell off what would have been a sack in the Oklahoma game as well.

Has decent overall speed and mobility but lacks that explosive first few steps like, dare I say, Kendricks has. Instincts wise, he didn't look special to me, there were some nice plays like one where he diagnosed an Andy-esque double reverse and shut it down in the backfield but plays like that weren't frequent.

I wouldn't be confident in him starting Year 1 as a 3-4 ILB where he'll have to deal with OL more often, he doesn't show in those games that he can consistently beat blocks moving forwards and make tackles in the run game. To be fair to him, Kendricks couldn't do that either until the end of his 2nd season. Looks like a nickel LB Year 1 to me.

He's better than the NFL.com profile makes him sound and a solid option for 2016 to replace Ryans assuming Kendricks is gone, but not a Day 1 starter IMO and not somebody I'd expect to beat out Kendricks or Alonso on merit in the future, but lots can change there.

I really admire how positive most of you seem. With the mediocre franchise the eagles have been and then having chip really tear it apart you still sound positive. I think I will root for you guys. You deserve it. Good luck.

I really admire how positive most of you seem. With the mediocre franchise the eagles have been and then having chip really tear it apart you still sound positive. I think I will root for you guys. You deserve it. Good luck.
well, whew. i will sleep MUCH better tonight knowing you will root for us now. Thanks! :hifive:

i posted this in the Cowboys thread, but i really am curious to the answer:

Is Jerry Jones mentally delayed? the way this letter is written, i would really think it is by a 3rd, maybe 4th grader? This is actually a somewhat serious question, the way this letter is written I actually am kind of surprised it isn't in crayon:

http://sports.yahoo....-233708704.html

i posted this in the Cowboys thread, but i really am curious to the answer:

Is Jerry Jones mentally delayed? the way this letter is written, i would really think it is by a 3rd, maybe 4th grader? This is actually a somewhat serious question, the way this letter is written I actually am kind of surprised it isn't in crayon:

http://sports.yahoo....-233708704.html
So worried about the boys the fan base will never move forward with their own issues...typical reject eagle fan...enjoy always thinking about the cowboys...chirp flipping Kelly...lol...chirp is on purpose...he is the old ball coach from the skins...back in college in a year or two...fly eagle fly

this is obviously a highlight reel, so the plays they have are select few, but i don't see a reason to hate on the guy just yet:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/5/2/8534037/jordan-hicks-highlights-eagles-texas-longhorns-linebacker-tape-film-pick-draft
Big percentage of those plays are space and coverage plays which is his strength for sure. He has some development to do as a run defender though.

Like Agholor, I don't hate the player, just not sure picking them where we did has made the team substantially better in comparison to other players we might have taken. I like the Rowe pick a lot for where we got him though.

Got exactly what I hoped when we got Rowe... couldn't be happier with that. Still like most people unsure of the ILB pick... will trust Chip though, he sounds pretty confident about him.

Gotta be Oline now right? Not a ton left out there. Wonder if Collins/Clemmings would even be a possibility. Big risks and scares with both of those guys though, especially Collins. Maybe Chip can convince him to come to philly.

Users who are viewing this thread