What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Excel Help Corner (1 Viewer)

Maybe a weird question?

Let's say I have a row of cells with a of items: Apples, Pears, Bananas, Oranges. (These are the column headers in a grid)

Is there a simple formula to display all of those in a single cell

Like, I know I could just do:

=A1&B1&C1&D1 and get 'ApplesPearsBananasOranges', but if I ever add another column I'll have to manually re-type that cell to '=A1&B1&C1&D1&E1'. And every time I add more columns I'll have to go back and change this formula.

Can I just do one simple formula (without VB) that gives me all the elements in a range of cells, however many there are? (Bonus question, can I put a comma and space after each element?)

Ideally, it'd be like =SomeFormula(A1:E1) and it would just spit out all the values in the range. That way, if I add a column between A and E, the formula will automagically update?
TEXTJOIN is new in Excel 365.  Other than that, I don't think there's that simple of a solution.

TEXTJOIN is new in Excel 365.  Other than that, I don't think there's that simple of a solution.
That's awesome.  I was not aware of this.  Although, I can't think of anytime I'd currently need it.  Would have come in handy in my past, though.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
got an if then question.

if the number in cell is greater than 25% of the value in cell b, then cell c should be yes.  if lower, then no.

any thoughts?

got an if then question.

if the number in cell is greater than 25% of the value in cell b, then cell c should be yes.  if lower, then no.

any thoughts?
assuming bold is cell A2, put this in C2...

=IF(A2/B2>0.25,"yes","no")

What about equal to 25%?

What happened to concatenate?  Is textjoin a replacement for concatenate or does it work differently?

You still need to spell out all of the cells with concat (or concatenate or just the & sign). That is: =CONCATENATE(A1, A2, A3... etc up to A-whatever.

Textjoin lets you just enter a range: =TEXTJOIN(A1:A10), and if you add stuff into the middle of the range, excel will dynamically expand it, just like if you add more rows in between the first and last cells in a SUM function. 

With concatenate you'd have to go back and retype the original formula to add the new cells. 
Cool

I need to create a conditional format that highlights my A1 cell:

If the value of 'Sheet1' A1 > 600 (the value of '600' is referenced in 'Sheet2' B2), then format the cell red. 

I can't get this logic to work. Any ideas?

I need to create a conditional format that highlights my A1 cell:

If the value of 'Sheet1' A1 > 600 (the value of '600' is referenced in 'Sheet2' B2), then format the cell red. 

I can't get this logic to work. Any ideas?
So you're saying you want Sheet1 A1 to be red when it's greater than Sheet2 B2? If so, do this...

Select Sheet1 A1 and create a new conditional format.  Choose 'Use a formula to determine which cells to format' and enter this formula "=$A$1>Sheet2!$B$2".  Change the formatting as you need and that should take care of it.

So you're saying you want Sheet1 A1 to be red when it's greater than Sheet2 B2? If so, do this...

Select Sheet1 A1 and create a new conditional format.  Choose 'Use a formula to determine which cells to format' and enter this formula "=$A$1>Sheet2!$B$2".  Change the formatting as you need and that should take care of it.
Thank you! Of course, that's what I am looking for.

One adjustment.

I need to evaluate for the same logic for Cell's A1 through F1 in Sheet1 and then apply the same formatting based on the the value in that cell being GT the value in Sheet2, B2.

Thank you! Of course, that's what I am looking for.

One adjustment.

I need to evaluate for the same logic for Cell's A1 through F1 in Sheet1 and then apply the same formatting based on the the value in that cell being GT the value in Sheet2, B2.
Go to Manage Rules under Conditional Formatting.  Edit the rule and use this formula "=A1>Sheet2!$B$2" (all you're doing is removing the locked ref to A1).  Then make it apply to A1:F1.

I would suggest a PivotTable, using the filters (slicer, bit more advanced but looks nice) to control manager/workshop.

The idea would be to select all of the table data, Insert >> PivotTable, default options and OK. From there drag and drop workshop and manager in the FILTERS section and all your data in the ROWS section in the order you'd like it presented.

At this point it will look like a wild and crazy mess so click anywhere in the PivotTable, Design >> Report Layout >> Show in Tabular Form. Design >> Report Layout >> Repeat All Item Labels might be needed. Finally, Design >> Subtotals >> Do Not Show Subtotals
Yeah I can't get this to work.  

So I'm not really sure if this is Excel or my computer.  But I've tried changing computer settings and can't fix it.  Either way, maybe someone will know what to do here.  Last week, we moved offices and everything was unplugged and plugged back in.  My laptop itself was in my possession, so I don't think really anything has/could've changed.

I have a spreadsheet open on each of my 2 screens.  When I hover over screen 1, and scroll with the mouse wheel, I move that sheet up and down.  If I move to screen 2, I used to be able to use the scroll wheel and move that spreadsheet up and down without clicking on it first.  Now, if I move from one screen to the other, the mouse wheel still works the screen I was last using, not the one I'm hovering over.

Seems like a petty thing, but I'm so used to going back and forth, I'm actually driving myself insane.

OK, intermediate user with NO knowledge of VBA, but willing to learn a little. But before I go down that road, I had a question:

Say I make a macro button to run VBA code that shows/hides rows of data based on criteria in a cell. If the criteria in the cell changes later, does the code automatically update and re-run to show/hide rows based on the new criteria, or do I have to re-click that button every time?

For example, if I have a list of employees, and in a cell I have "type a state here and click the button to show all employees in that state", so I type "TEXAS" and click the button and all the Texas employees rows are shown and the other 49 states are hidden rows. But then if I retype ARIZONA in that box, would the display change automatically or do I have to re-click the button during this same Excel session?
You can set up VBA to run anytime that you make a change in the document.  I generally don't like to leave any macro on auto-run - potential for it to slow down the workbook and you need to make sure that you are only applying this macro to the current workbook and not Excel in general.  I have set-up macros to run when a drop-down value changes and that seems to go OK. 

Theoretically you could set up a PivotTable to display this data - just set the state field as a Report Filter, then when a user selects the state the PivotTable would update to display only those records - you can easily set it up to display whichever fields you need to. Not as "tech savvy" as going VBA, but is one way that could work in a pinch.

Or, and probably better, if your data is set up as a table, you could set up slicers to filter the data table. Link to Microsoft article on this   Another link on setting up table slicers

Theoretically you could set up a PivotTable to display this data - just set the state field as a Report Filter, then when a user selects the state the PivotTable would update to display only those records - you can easily set it up to display whichever fields you need to. Not as "tech savvy" as going VBA, but is one way that could work in a pinch.

Or, and probably better, if your data is set up as a table, you could set up slicers to filter the data table. Link to Microsoft article on this   Another link on setting up table slicers
Slicers are the way to go!

This is such a small stupid thing, I'm sure I just didn't learn it when I first started using Excel, but it pisses me off constantly.

Is there a way to insert spaces into a sheet when you already (apparently) have something copied and in the chamber?  Sometimes I'll be working in another tab or sheet and copy something and forget about it.  Then I right click on something to Insert a new line and instead of "Insert" it says "Insert Copied Cells".  I have to click on a cell, type some letter and hit Enter.  Then I can just Insert.  I'm fairly sure there's a better way around it, but after 20 years, I've yet to find it.

This is such a small stupid thing, I'm sure I just didn't learn it when I first started using Excel, but it pisses me off constantly.

Is there a way to insert spaces into a sheet when you already (apparently) have something copied and in the chamber?  Sometimes I'll be working in another tab or sheet and copy something and forget about it.  Then I right click on something to Insert a new line and instead of "Insert" it says "Insert Copied Cells".  I have to click on a cell, type some letter and hit Enter.  Then I can just Insert.  I'm fairly sure there's a better way around it, but after 20 years, I've yet to find it.
Try Esc

I should know the answer to this, but I'm stumped. 

At my current job, there are some activities that involve working with big data tables stored in XLS.  For example, 15 to 20 tabs with each having tables of 1,000 to 500,000 rows using 20 to 50 columns of data (file size 150+MB).  Just general navigation is slow, but doing VBA on these files pulls everything to a crawl and locks up my computer for 20 minutes (best case) to permanent lock.  

I could look into pushing these data tables to a DB such as SQL or Access, but I'd have to start over on a lot of processing initiatives and train newbies on these systems. 

Any tips, tricks for these large files?  I"ve stripped off formatting, turned calculations to manual, etc.  Would more RAM help or using computer with bigger badder CPU?  I'm not above parsing the tables out to multiple CSV or XLS files if that would help. 

I should know the answer to this, but I'm stumped. 

At my current job, there are some activities that involve working with big data tables stored in XLS.  For example, 15 to 20 tabs with each having tables of 1,000 to 500,000 rows using 20 to 50 columns of data (file size 150+MB).  Just general navigation is slow, but doing VBA on these files pulls everything to a crawl and locks up my computer for 20 minutes (best case) to permanent lock.  

I could look into pushing these data tables to a DB such as SQL or Access, but I'd have to start over on a lot of processing initiatives and train newbies on these systems. 

Any tips, tricks for these large files?  I"ve stripped off formatting, turned calculations to manual, etc.  Would more RAM help or using computer with bigger badder CPU?  I'm not above parsing the tables out to multiple CSV or XLS files if that would help. 
How old are these files?  Are they growing/shrinking often?  I've seen where files get out of hand where a lot of data and formatting was removed, but the file size is still huge.  I've taken the data from the suspect file and moved just the raw data to a new workbook and it's helped.

I'd also look at converting the files to binary files (.xlsb).  Should help a bit with sizing/processing.

Question 1:
Using the date field below, I would like to create a new field that subtracts today (current month/year) from this field's format below. There are some fields that do not have a date value ('-' or blank) - in those cases output a '-'.

Current Formula: 

=1*DATEDIF(DATE(LEFT(A2,4),MID(A2,6,2),1),TODAY(),"m")

Current Formula is working, but outputs #VALUE instead of '-' when there is no value. How would I go about updating/fixing that?

Column A:   Column B(Expected Value):
2019-03             04
2019-07             00
2019-06             01
2019-05             02
2019-04             03
-                            -

Question 2:
Using the date field below, how would I count the number of days between today and the date below? This field will have some fields with a blank value and some dates in Column C could be in the past. If dates are in the past or are missing so that the calculation is not logical, output a '-'.

Column C                Column D (Expected Value):
07/22/2019                     2
07/01/2019                     -
07/20/2019                    0
07/19/2019                    -

Last edited by a moderator:
In the first part, is the field defined as text or is it a date?  Your formula is pulling things as it it were a text, which might be causing issues.  What are you trying to "show" in Question 1 (ie what is the goal of the answer)?

For Question 2, it seems you should be able to use an if/then statement where you are checking if the date in column C is less than today (ie in the past).  If so, put a "-" in the answer.  if not, use your DATEDIF formula 

Hello,

How would I go about coding for this?

This code here gets me started, but how do I add to this:

=if(and(or(a1="A - Current",A1="A - Ret",a1=" or "A R1"),B1="N"),"K","INVALID"

If Column A = "A - Current" or "A - Ret" or "A R1" 
and Column B = "N"
output a value of "K" in Column D else "INVALID"

ELSE

If Column A = "AM - A" or "AM - V" 
and Column B = "N"
output a value of "D" in Column D, else "WRONG"

ELSE
If Column A = "AS - 1" or "AS - E" or "DB" 
and Column B = "N" 
and Column C = "As-Is (No Changes)" or "Modified - Standard" or "Modified - Sup"
output a "S" in Column D else "M", else "HELP"

ELSE
If Column A ="Trig - AM" or "Trig - DIy"
output a "J" in Column D else "RESEARCH"

ELSE
If Column A = "NONE" or "Other" or "Other-S" 
and Column B = "N"
output a value of "N/A" in Column D.

END

This should be an easy one.  I'm sure it's something stupid and for the life of me I can't figure it out so I figured I'd just come here first instead of spending too much time troubleshooting something stupid.

I have conditional formatting that is turning two cells red for a negative result to a formula and green to a positive result to the formula.  It's for all of the weeks of the year.  For the weeks that haven't happened yet, it is returning a red result.  I don't want any result for a blank cell.  Technically, it's not blank because there's a formula in there, but why is it turning red with no result and how do I stop that?  These are things I knew years ago but just don't use much anymore and the mind is going.

This should be an easy one.  I'm sure it's something stupid and for the life of me I can't figure it out so I figured I'd just come here first instead of spending too much time troubleshooting something stupid.

I have conditional formatting that is turning two cells red for a negative result to a formula and green to a positive result to the formula.  It's for all of the weeks of the year.  For the weeks that haven't happened yet, it is returning a red result.  I don't want any result for a blank cell.  Technically, it's not blank because there's a formula in there, but why is it turning red with no result and how do I stop that?  These are things I knew years ago but just don't use much anymore and the mind is going.
did you use a formula or one of the pre-set preconditional formatting rules? May just be a matter of changing it from "greater than or equal to" to "greater than" if it's just comparing the cell result value to 0. 

did you use a formula or one of the pre-set preconditional formatting rules? May just be a matter of changing it from "greater than or equal to" to "greater than" if it's just comparing the cell result value to 0. 
I actually have a rule where if it's zero, it turns yellow.  I put a zero in and it turned yellow.  But blank it goes back to red.

Uhm, ok, I think this might be my first question here.

-> I'd like to take a long list of headings (basically 1000+ names) that runs horizontally and rather than retype that sucker I'd like to simply convert it to a typical up/down vertical list.

This must be a basic thing, anyone have a shortcut or instruction on this? Thanks.

Uhm, ok, I think this might be my first question here.

-> I'd like to take a long list of headings (basically 1000+ names) that runs horizontally and rather than retype that sucker I'd like to simply convert it to a typical up/down vertical list.

This must be a basic thing, anyone have a shortcut or instruction on this? Thanks.
Copy - Paste Special - Transpose

I feel like an idiot for not knowing how to do this, but I keep running into a wall and now I'm turning to you for help.

What I have is Sheet 1 with First Name in column A and Last Name in column B. Columns C - H has data.

On Sheet 2, it's formatted exactly the same (First Name, Last Name, data).

I would like to combine the data from sheets 1 & 2 onto sheet 3.

The issue I'm having is there are names on sheet 1 that aren't on sheet 2 and vice versa.  There are also some names on both sheets.  I am looking for a solution (formula or VBA) that will:

1) If a person is on both sheets, add the data in each column (C-H) and place that person on a new row on sheet 3

2) If a person is on one sheet, but not both, copy the info onto sheet 3.

Sheet 3 will then become the "master" sheet and as new data is accumulated (yearly), I can utilize the same process to update the data.

Thanks in advance for the help!  I think it's an easy fix, I've just got myself out of sorts and can't get over the hump.

I feel like an idiot for not knowing how to do this, but I keep running into a wall and now I'm turning to you for help.

What I have is Sheet 1 with First Name in column A and Last Name in column B. Columns C - H has data.

On Sheet 2, it's formatted exactly the same (First Name, Last Name, data).

I would like to combine the data from sheets 1 & 2 onto sheet 3.

The issue I'm having is there are names on sheet 1 that aren't on sheet 2 and vice versa.  There are also some names on both sheets.  I am looking for a solution (formula or VBA) that will:

1) If a person is on both sheets, add the data in each column (C-H) and place that person on a new row on sheet 3

2) If a person is on one sheet, but not both, copy the info onto sheet 3.

Sheet 3 will then become the "master" sheet and as new data is accumulated (yearly), I can utilize the same process to update the data.

Thanks in advance for the help!  I think it's an easy fix, I've just got myself out of sorts and can't get over the hump.
It sounds like it should be as simple as copying all data from both sheets into sheet3 and then using the Remove Duplicates tool.

It sounds like it should be as simple as copying all data from both sheets into sheet3 and then using the Remove Duplicates tool.
Unfortunately, it's not.

Here's an example.

Sheet 1 has all the RBs since 2000 listed with First Name in column A and Last Name in column B.  Columns C-H contain career rushing yards, rushing TDs, receiving yds, etc.

Sheet 2 has all the same info, except from just the 2018 season.

As such, sheet 1 has Barry Sanders, but sheet 2 doesn't because he didn't play in 2018.  Sheet 2 has Saquon Barkley, but sheet 1 doesn't because 2018 was his first year.  Both sheet 1 and sheet 2 have Adrian Peterson because he played in 2018 and earlier.

Sheet 3 should have Barry Sanders info from sheet 1 on one line because his career numbers didn't change following the 2018 season.  Sheet 3 should also have Saquon Barkley's info from sheet 2 on another line because he didn't play before 2018, so his career numbers are just from 2018.

Finally, sheet 3 should add Adrian Peterson's data from columns C-H from both sheet 1 and sheet 2 because he did play in 2018 and thus his career totals have changed.

Make sense?

Unfortunately, it's not.

Here's an example.

Sheet 1 has all the RBs since 2000 listed with First Name in column A and Last Name in column B.  Columns C-H contain career rushing yards, rushing TDs, receiving yds, etc.

Sheet 2 has all the same info, except from just the 2018 season.

As such, sheet 1 has Barry Sanders, but sheet 2 doesn't because he didn't play in 2018.  Sheet 2 has Saquon Barkley, but sheet 1 doesn't because 2018 was his first year.  Both sheet 1 and sheet 2 have Adrian Peterson because he played in 2018 and earlier.

Sheet 3 should have Barry Sanders info from sheet 1 on one line because his career numbers didn't change following the 2018 season.  Sheet 3 should also have Saquon Barkley's info from sheet 2 on another line because he didn't play before 2018, so his career numbers are just from 2018.

Finally, sheet 3 should add Adrian Peterson's data from columns C-H from both sheet 1 and sheet 2 because he did play in 2018 and thus his career totals have changed.

Make sense?
Yup, that's a little different since C:H are totals.  You can do it a couple of ways, but I'm going to assumed you're not interested in Pivot Tables... If you just want the raw data consolidated down into a single sheet, this should do the trick:

1. copy A:B from both sheets 1 & 2 into sheet 3.
  2. Use Remove Duplicates tool to get unique list of player names in sheet 3.
  3. in C:H, use SUMIFS to get your totals back.    "=SUMIFS(Sheet1!C:C,Sheet1!$A:$A,Sheet3!$A2,Sheet1!$B:$B,Sheet3!$B2)+SUMIFS(Sheet2!C:C,Sheet2!$A:$A,Sheet3!$A2,Sheet2!$B:$B,Sheet3!$B2)"
  4. Copy/Paste that formula across the C:H range you need in sheet 3.
  5. If you don't want the formulas there, you can do.... Copy/Paste Special - Values Only in C:H to remove formulas.

Yup, that's a little different since C:H are totals.  You can do it a couple of ways, but I'm going to assumed you're not interested in Pivot Tables... If you just want the raw data consolidated down into a single sheet, this should do the trick:

1. copy A:B from both sheets 1 & 2 into sheet 3.
  2. Use Remove Duplicates tool to get unique list of player names in sheet 3.
  3. in C:H, use SUMIFS to get your totals back.    "=SUMIFS(Sheet1!C:C,Sheet1!$A:$A,Sheet3!$A2,Sheet1!$B:$B,Sheet3!$B2)+SUMIFS(Sheet2!C:C,Sheet2!$A:$A,Sheet3!$A2,Sheet2!$B:$B,Sheet3!$B2)"
  4. Copy/Paste that formula across the C:H range you need in sheet 3.
  5. If you don't want the formulas there, you can do.... Copy/Paste Special - Values Only in C:H to remove formulas.
Thanks, Ned.  This seems to work perfectly!

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
We had a third party develop a macro for a client dashboard. I need to lock hidden worksheets. Does anybody know if there is a way to do this without writing it into the macro?

Ok here's another:

- I have a series of cells with numbers in them.

So for instance, if I'm ranking RBs (each is a cell with the number):

1. Elliott
  2. McCaffery
  3. Bell
  4. Johnson

What if I want to be able to sort the listing, so I want to take the numbers out so it will just be:

Elliott

McCaffery

Bell

Johnson

(and then I can sort it by text).

Can I do this by formula or via menu command rather than working through it manually?

Thanks!

Ok here's another:

- I have a series of cells with numbers in them.

So for instance, if I'm ranking RBs (each is a cell with the number):

1. Elliott
  2. McCaffery
  3. Bell
  4. Johnson

What if I want to be able to sort the listing, so I want to take the numbers out so it will just be:

Elliott

McCaffery

Bell

Johnson

(and then I can sort it by text).

Thanks!
Just so I'm understanding - your cell is "1. Elliott"?  Or is it cell A1 is "1." and cell B1 is "Elliott"?

Just so I'm understanding - your cell is "1. Elliott"?  Or is it cell A1 is "1." and cell B1 is "Elliott"?
First of all - thanks.

Ok, so:

A1 reads: "1. Elliott"

A2 reads: "2. McCaffery"

A3 reads: "3. Bell"

etc.

You know how sometimes Excel will "spill over" text into adjacent cells (into columns left or right depending on justification)?

There's no way to force it to do the same up-or-down into the rows above or below if the font size is huge, is there?

I need to do it without merging cells, because I also need to have different color shading in the columns.
I've never needed to do that - I thought 'center across selection' would do the trick (after selecting a few adjacent cells below), but it won't recognize the vertical selection.  :kicksrock:  

You know how sometimes Excel will "spill over" text into adjacent cells (into columns left or right depending on justification)?

There's no way to force it to do the same up-or-down into the rows above or below if the font size is huge, is there?

I need to do it without merging cells, because I also need to have different color shading in the columns.
I'm not aware of that ability, but it's pretty easy to auto change the height of a cell to fit.  Just highlight the range and double click on one of the row lines in the axis.

Am I misunderstanding, or isn't this what the 'Wrap Text' button is for?

Apparently I am misunderstanding. Sounds like something you'd use a Text Box for to escape the rules of cells.

Like, say I had a section that is 2 cells wide by 2 cells tall, and each of those 4 cells is a different color, but I wanted text to overlay that entire area.
you can do this across columns, but afaik you can't do this across rows. to do this across columns, select the two (or more columns) of cells, format cells..., and under horizontal alignment select "Center Across Selection".

Is there a way to set permissions on a spreadsheet that will allow people to input data but not change the structure of the sheet or edit formulas?

Users who are viewing this thread