What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Physics and astronomy thread (2 Viewers)

scanning, kornikovas name somehow popped to the front... trying to figure out her connection without reading further, I assumed she had become a rocket surgeon in her retirement.

Israeli privately funded moon lander- first private moon mission.

with China's visit, and now Israel... anybody else think we'll be in a moon-race soon, with manned trips forthcoming- and possible base set up (I know they've talked about a space station orbiting the moon previously). this privatized stuff makes me nervous- Cohagen, shutting down oxygen to colonists (or just polluting the surface or worse, doing something to #### up the orbit which would #### us up on earth).

Testing Complete

In July, SpaceIL announced plans to send the first privately funded lander to the Moon aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.

On Wednesday, the Israeli nonprofit tweeted that it “successfully completed the testing stage” of refueling and assembling the launcher. The tests took place at SpaceX’s processing facility in Florida, according to GeekWire — and now that they’re out of the way, SpaceIL’s craft is one step closer to launch.

On Schedule

The lander, which SpaceIL dubbed Beresheet, is about the size of a dishwasher and will weigh 1,290 pounds once fueled up.

The plan is for the craft to split from the Falcon 9 when it hits an altitude of 37,000 miles. It will then complete a series of maneuvers before landing on the Moon approximately eight weeks after launch, which is currently scheduled for some time after Feb. 18.

One-Way Trip

Beresheet won’t complete a return mission to Earth, but it will send back data collected via a high-res video camera system and a device that will map the Moon’s magnetic field. It will also bring with it a “time capsule” of digital files for future Moon explorers to potentially discover.

If all goes as planned, Beresheet won’t just be the first privately funded craft to reach the Moon — it’ll also secure Israel a spot as the fourth nation to land a craft on the Moon, behind just the U.S., Russia, and China.

Israeli privately funded moon lander- first private moon mission.

with China's visit, and now Israel... anybody else think we'll be in a moon-race soon, with manned trips forthcoming- and possible base set up (I know they've talked about a space station orbiting the moon previously). this privatized stuff makes me nervous- Cohagen, shutting down oxygen to colonists (or just polluting the surface or worse, doing something to #### up the orbit which would #### us up on earth).
I do.  And I believe the US messed up big time.  It's the old line, "Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."  We got to the moon 50 years ahead of everyone else and the entire world said, "Hey, US.  No one can own the moon."  And we agreed.  But eventually, there's going to be a country (I'm looking at you, China) who lays claim to something or land on the moon.  And we will have no recourse to stop them.  It'll be like those South Pacific Islands.  China will have military bases on the moon guarding their precious resources while the US is throwing a temper tantrum yelling, "But we said no one could do that!!!!!"  

We should have laid claim to the moon and told other countries if they didn't like it, meet us on the dark side of the moon at 3 o'clock and we'd battle it out.  

Brian Cox was on Joe Rogan's podcast earlier in the week.  I always like listening to him.  He does a good job breaking down impossible to understand concepts into awe-inspiring mind####s.

I do.  And I believe the US messed up big time.  It's the old line, "Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."  We got to the moon 50 years ahead of everyone else and the entire world said, "Hey, US.  No one can own the moon."  And we agreed.  But eventually, there's going to be a country (I'm looking at you, China) who lays claim to something or land on the moon.  And we will have no recourse to stop them.  It'll be like those South Pacific Islands.  China will have military bases on the moon guarding their precious resources while the US is throwing a temper tantrum yelling, "But we said no one could do that!!!!!"  

We should have laid claim to the moon and told other countries if they didn't like it, meet us on the dark side of the moon at 3 o'clock and we'd battle it out.  
and with Israel there, it's only a matter of time before middle east bs makes its way to the moon- fighting over isis and whatnot.

The Secret World of Nebulas episode of How the Universe Works was really informative. Such a great series. And of course, Mike Rowe is always good

The Secret World of Nebulas episode of How the Universe Works was really informative. Such a great series. And of course, Mike Rowe is always good
This is the series I miss the most after going to YouTube TV. No science channel :kicksrock:

and more bad news for mars... opportunity officially declared dead. was really hoping something would shake loose and it would wake up again. 

from ars technica:

Late Tuesday night, scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory sent their final data uplink to the Opportunity rover on Mars. Over this connection, via the Deep Space Network, the American jazz singer Billie Holiday crooned "I'll Be Seeing You," a song which closes with the lines:

I'll find you in the morning sun
And when the night is new
I'll be looking at the moon
But I'll be seeing you

The scientists waited to hear some response from their long-silent rover, which had been engulfed in a global dust storm last June, likely coating its solar panels in a fatal layer of dust. Since then, the team of scientists and engineers have sent more than 835 commands, hoping the rover will wake up from its long slumber—that perhaps winds on Mars might have blown off some of the dust that covered the panels.

So on Tuesday night, they listened. They reminisced. But in the end, no response came. Opportunity would finally be declared dead on Sol 5352, as in five thousand, three hundred, and fifty-two days on Mars. NASA is expected to make it official at 2pm ET Wednesday, when NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine and the chief of the agency's science division, Thomas Zurbuchen, convene a news conference.

Opportunity landed on Mars more than 15 Earth years ago, on January 25, 2004. So much time has passed since then. Facebook would not be created until a month later. YouTube would not get its first video upload for more than a year. George W. Bush was still in his first presidency. NASA's Cassini spacecraft had not yet even arrived in the Saturn system.

And yet from that moment on, Opportunity and its sister rover, Spirit, began plugging along the surface of Mars. Originally designed for 90-day lifetimes, the rovers persisted. Spirit lasted until 2010, when its batteries were unable to keep the spacecraft's critical components from freezing.

But Opportunity kept on keeping on amidst the harsh terrain. It roved a staggering 45.16 kilometers across the red planet, a distance unmatched by any rover on the Moon or Mars. In 2016, as it climbed a hill, Opportunity's tilt reached 32 degrees, the steepest ever for any rover on Mars.

The rover's primary task on Mars was to better understand the planet's geology and understand the history of water there. It succeeded. In one discovery, for example, it found evidence of ancient hydrothermal vents that would have existed beneath a warm, shallow lake.

When the dust storm originally engulfed Opportunity last year, mission scientists were hopeful they might yet recover the rover. Sure, it had to steer with just two instead of four wheels, and the rover was showing its age. But even then, its batteries had retained 85 percent of their original capacity. But now, NASA scientists know it will never emerge from Perseverance Valley, a feature carved into the rim of Endeavor Crater by flowing water in a distant age.

Spirit and Opportunity will not soon be forgotten. Their success led NASA to the development of larger rovers, including Curiosity and the forthcoming Mars 2020 rovers. Those two rovers carry considerably more scientific equipment and will probe deeper into Mars' watery past and whether it might have once supported life.

Perhaps, most of all, Spirit and Opportunity will be celebrated for their dogged survival in harsh conditions. One day, not in the movies but in real life, humans hopefully will visit the sites of these two rovers to marvel at their crude technology, dusty graves, and historic accomplishments. This would be humanity's best tribute to these two early Martian pioneers—that they were not the end of human exploration of Mars, but the beginning.

With all of these exoplanet discoveries, a lot of these probably have moons like Saturn and Jupiter, which are the best bets in our solar system to find extraterrestrial life.  Can't wait for the James Webb telescope and the future technological advancements that will be launched in the near future.

Exoplanet Totals

Quickly, quickly...which planet is closest to Earth?  

You probably answered wrong.  Well, sort of.  Yes it is true that Venus comes closer to Earth than any other planet, but on average, we spend more time closer to Mercury than any other planet!  And the strangest part...Every other planet can also claim Mercury as its closest neighbor.  Here is the study/simulation that shows the data.  

Quickly, quickly...which planet is closest to Earth?  

You probably answered wrong.  Well, sort of.  Yes it is true that Venus comes closer to Earth than any other planet, but on average, we spend more time closer to Mercury than any other planet!  And the strangest part...Every other planet can also claim Mercury as its closest neighbor.  Here is the study/simulation that shows the data.  
It makes sense - but its dumb.

Nobody cares which planet is closest "on average."    

It makes sense - but its dumb.

Nobody cares which planet is closest "on average."    
Apparently Tom Stockman (Univ. of Alabama and Los Alamos Nat. Lab), Gabriel, Monroe (US Army Engineer Research Development Center), and Samuel Cordner (NASA) care.

Anyways, I don't think the big ticket item here is the result that Mercury is closest to all other planets (although that is still cool), but rather the analytical technique they used to generate the results.

Astronomers set to make 'groundbreaking' black hole announcement

We may be about to see the first-ever photo of a black hole.

Astronomers working across a worldwide network of cosmic observatories are set to make a "groundbreaking" announcement on April 10, according to the European Southern Observatory.

Considering that the Event Horizon Telescope is on a mission to capture the very first image of a black hole, this could be one of the biggest science discoveries of the year -- humans, for the first time, may be able to "see" the black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy or the one over at our close cosmic neighbor, the elliptical galaxy Messier 87.

Of course, black holes are invisible space-vampires. Their immense gravity sucks in any surrounding matter -- including light -- that falls within its grasp. And once something falls in, it can never escape. That makes it entirely impossible to actually see a black hole right now.

However, at the very edge of a black hole's powerful gravity lies the "event horizon." Material accumulates in this region and speeds around the black hole at such a pace that it emits high-energy radiation -- the stuff that we can see. Over the past 13 years, the Event Horizon Telescope (which is actually a network of radio observatories across the planet) has been trying to image two black holes: Sagittarius A*, at the center of the Milky Way, and the black hole at the center of Messier 87.

The observatories around the world focus on the locations of the black hole and individually capture the radio signals emitted by the event horizon. The data they capture is digitized and stored on hard drives, which are physically flown to participating institutions for analysis. Because each telescope across the world is all synced up to an incredibly precise clock, the data can be correlated, stitched together and eventually -- and this is the holy grail -- produce an image of the black hole's event horizon.

The last collection of data occurred two years ago, in April 2017. In that time, astronomers have been piecing together the results from the run -- and now many suspect that the announcement on April 10 will give us the first real glimpse of a black hole.

That's no certainty, but given that the media advisory suggests a "groundbreaking result" that will be simultaneously streamed in six different locations and four different languages around the world, there's reason to be excited.

The official announcement will begin at 6 a.m. PT on April 10. Whatever the result may be, CNET will have it covered.

I choose to like yours and not Galileo's from Tues, four posts above yours.
Thank you for your support. 

But, it was not Galileo's post - it was Jamny's post, and it was a wall of text, so its easy to understand why you did not read it fully...

But, in fairness - @jamny - I apologize for usurping your thunder - it is a pretty cool development, and I am looking forward to the results.

Thank you for your support. 

But, it was not Galileo's post - it was Jamny's post, and it was a wall of text, so its easy to understand why you did not read it fully...

But, in fairness - @jamny - I apologize for usurping your thunder - it is a pretty cool development, and I am looking forward to the results.
Heartless monster.

I can't wait for this picture, so more posts the better imo .... Hoping it's more than a yellow submarine style black hole.

Users who are viewing this thread