What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Physics and astronomy thread (2 Viewers)

I borrowed the following from an email distribution list of a club I belong to:

A couple of years ago, there was an article in Discovery magazine, about a physicist having run a simulation on super computer to take the laws of nature to their limit and extrapolate how they would handle themselves just beyond the event's horizon of a black hole. Given that the gravity gradient is such that the fabric of space is stretched beyond what can be crossed by light, and that anything going at that speed would experience a completely halted flow of time (from our perspective), his conclusion was that, for whatever would be "inside" (or more appropriately "beyond") a black hole would look pretty much as the whole universe appears to us. Black holes, he proposed, would be creating entire universes, as large and complex as our own, along dimensions that are orthogonal to ours, with its own time flow, and forever locked away from observation and influence with our universe.

Looking the opposite way would suggest that our universe could simply be the 'inside' of a black hole in some other universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading a bunch of articles about this yesterday, am I to understand that this isn't an ACTUAL photograph of a black hole?  This is an imaged black hole?  And if so, can someone explain that to me like I'm a 4 year old Albert Einstein?  

Very frustrated and disappointed thus far in How the Universe Works.  It was listed in my guide as a 2 hour show with a description related to the first image of a black hole.  I sat through the first hour, and it was interesting stuff, but mostly stuff I already knew and was familiar with.  There were a couple gems like the idea of a Planck Star that I had not heard before, which makes sense at some level...an interesting idea.  The second hour is now 15 minutes in.  It really isn't a continuation.  It is basically it's own show.  It has all been rehash of stuff that was covered in the first hour and still nothing yet on the new image or new information gleaned from the image.    :kicksrock:
Well, we aren't all Galileos. 

After reading a bunch of articles about this yesterday, am I to understand that this isn't an ACTUAL photograph of a black hole?  This is an imaged black hole?  And if so, can someone explain that to me like I'm a 4 year old Albert Einstein?  
As I think I understand it, yes.  This thing is so epicly far away, even with every telescope on Earth it's still just too small from our view to actually "see". 

But they can view it's radiation pattern, or something like that.  They took all that data, from the radiation (or similar) over time and used it to create the image.  It's also my understanding that they are "assigning" colors to it from that data. 

It was made doable by the algorithm created by Katie Bo;uman.  Not sure if totally accurate, but..."Seeing an orange on the moon would require a telescope lense the size of the Earth. Her algorithm lets you do it with many telescopes."

As an IT guy I think my favorite bit was that with 5 petabytes of data, it was faster to put the hard drives on a plane than to transfer it over the internet.
~1k gigabytes is a terabyte.  ~1k terabyte is a petabyte?  Assuming 10 TB drives (and RAID), we're talking about.....~1,000 physical hard drives?

ETA: Guess they have Hondas in Israel. Sorry El Floppo for already posting earlier!

Private spacecraft from Israel attempting lunar landing today at 3:00 pm EDT.

Live broadcast (see story for link) starts about 2:20 pm EDT

It has been 48 days since the Beresheet spacecraft launched on a Falcon 9 rocket and began a spiraling series of orbits to raise itself toward the Moon. Last week, the 180kg vehicle fired its engines to enter into lunar orbit, and now the time has come for it to attempt a soft landing on the Moon.

No private company has ever achieved what SpaceIL, a private group organized in Israel to win the now defunct Google Lunar XPrize, is attempting. At 3:05pm EDT Thursday (19:05 UTC), the Beresheet vehicle will begin the landing process that will set it down at Mare Serenitatis (the "Sea of Serenity"), about 30 degrees north of the lunar equator. The actual landing should come about 20 minutes later.

For SpaceIL, the big goal with Beresheet is simply to survive the descent and make a soft landingon the Moon. To safely touch down, Beresheet's on-board engines must arrest the vehicle's lateral speed from about 6,000km/hour (with respect to the Moon) to zero. This will be done autonomously, and the spacecraft will use sensors to determine its location and altitude in relation to the Moon’s surface.

On the surface, the Beresheet vehicle will have about three days to document its surroundings before its solar panels are expected to reach a temperature of 200°C and overheat. This was one of the design compromises inherent to developing a smaller lander on a tight budget.

Thursday's landing attempt comes as NASA has asked several US companies—some of which were also competing in the Lunar XPrize—to develop the capacity for small landers to deliver science experiments to the Moon. The agency would like these commercial missions to begin flying to the Moon as soon as this year, although it is unclear whether or not that goal is actually possible. NASA also recently accelerated its plans to return humans to the Moon, hoping to do so as early as 2024.

Pretty well preserved for 55 million light year image.

Yes, this is what would be called a false color image.  The information collected by the network of telescopes used here was in the radio wave region of the electromagnetic spectrum.  We can not see radio waves with our eyes.  The central region of a galaxy is so clouded with gas and dust that much of any visible light available gets blocked out, but radio waves can easily get through the mess and thus can be more easily "seen" by the right kind of equipment.  They compile all the data collected by the radio telescope network, filter out the "noise" coming from other sources, and then can map out where the regions of radio waves are strong/weak etc..  They then assign a convenient color scheme to represent the varied levels of radiation detected and produce an image using that color scheme that we can see to represent the stuff we can't visibly see.

Very frustrated and disappointed thus far in How the Universe Works.  It was listed in my guide as a 2 hour show with a description related to the first image of a black hole.  I sat through the first hour, and it was interesting stuff, but mostly stuff I already knew and was familiar with.  There were a couple gems like the idea of a Planck Star that I had not heard before, which makes sense at some level...an interesting idea.  The second hour is now 15 minutes in.  It really isn't a continuation.  It is basically it's own show.  It has all been rehash of stuff that was covered in the first hour and still nothing yet on the new image or new information gleaned from the image.    :kicksrock:
They do this all the time.  Sometimes it's a 3 hour recording on my DVR with no episode description.  I never know what to watch and what I've already seen.  Then some recordings show up like S3E5 with a nice description.  I can't figure it out.

One awesome thing I read was this happened decades ahead of time because original thought was they'd have to build a large space telescope. 

Surely this will lead to other discoveries in our lifetime....possibly centuries before we ever imagined....

They started running into problems during the descent. Periodic loss of communications and engine seemed to fail momentarily but when the engine came back, they lost communications and they have declared it unsuccessful landing.  Team seems very joyous for failed voyage.  Yes, it is a great feat to get there but....

They started running into problems during the descent. Periodic loss of communications and engine seemed to fail momentarily but when the engine came back, they lost communications and they have declared it unsuccessful landing.  Team seems very joyous for failed voyage.  Yes, it is a a great feat to get there but....
WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!!!!

Pretty well preserved for 55 million light year image.
You know, I had read that distance before and (think) I understand what it means in terms of distance from us.  But it just hit me that it also means that what we "saw" and thus what created the image to be....is what it looked like 55 million years ago.  We're talking about nearly the time of the dinosaurs.  It could have gone "boom" since then, and we still wouldn't know it.

You know, I had read that distance before and (think) I understand what it means in terms of distance from us.  But it just hit me that it also means that what we "saw" and thus what created the image to be....is what it looked like 55 million years ago.  We're talking about nearly the time of the dinosaurs.  It could have gone "boom" since then, and we still wouldn't know it.
Yes.  They always say that looking in the sky is like a time machine.  I always remember a teacher saying that if we had a telescope that was powerful enough to see a person waving to us from a different galaxy, that they'd have been dead for thousands of years even though we see them waving right now.

it wasn’t a Polaroid

This thread just hitting it out of the park this week.

NY Times story about the photography of Scott Kelly on the station.  The second to last image is just astonishing.  So jealous.

Yes.  They always say that looking in the sky is like a time machine.  I always remember a teacher saying that if we had a telescope that was powerful enough to see a person waving to us from a different galaxy, that they'd have been dead for thousands of years even though we see them waving right now.
That makes it kind of hard to become pen pals with them.

This thread just hitting it out of the park this week.

NY Times story about the photography of Scott Kelly on the station.  The last image is just astonishing.  So jealous.
What are those giant streaks in the Egypt photo?  I think sand dunes, but some are interrupted by rocky/mountainous out crops and others look to go right through similar impediments 

Listening to her TED talk is mind blowing. She is a freaking genius. What awards is she going to win? Could she win two Nobel's in the same year? She needs to be interviewed and shown the respect she deserves. Why wasn't she the one to unveil the picture?

Almost forgot to mention that there's an Anteres launch tonight from Wallops around 4 pm.  When they do them at night, you can see it from all along the eastern seaboard.  Not sure about ones done in the daylight.

Users who are viewing this thread