What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (11 Viewers)

It sucks getting called out on what I missed- but tbh the anxiety is mostly while preparing the work. I always like learning (and contractors know their jobs better than I know their jobs) no matter who from, and I always want to make the best project possible for my clients, regardless of where or who the ideas and info comes from. I look at each project as a collaborative team effort,v rather than the covet-my-### approach so many I see seem to take. But the hammer typically falls first and hardest on the scarf when things go south.
That's where I am these days. My best jobs are those - excuse the Tony Robbins crap - when a team works together. Makes it so much easier - and the product so much better.

Yikes. You ok, my friend?
Yeah, my little Elantra took a bad punch -- big buck and a decisive impact -- but protected me pretty well. I figure the moment of contact came when he was momentarily on the ground and so he was thrown straight ahead instead of up, sort of like a linebacker taking on a big RB high up and straight on. 

My 5 1/2 mil project looks to finally be value engineered to be 3 1/4 and starting demo soon. Merry Xmas downstairs neighbors!

The bidset I was whining about the other weeks...been walking the bidding contractors and subs through and seeing just how much stuff I missed given their questions (this is a one pipe radiator system, but it was plumbed like a two pipe system with the valve on the feed instead of the return....your drawings don't cover that). This is exactly the "I'm a fraud" #### I freak myself out over, but smack in my face instead of coming from inside my face. Trying my best to roll and treat it as the time to pick up anything like that to help the project in a good way...but these walkthroughs are psychological torture for me since each contractor and subs whole m.o. is usually to find the discrepancies and coordination errors and then tell me about them.

But it's holdiay gift basket season in the office so chocolate galore. Frown turned upside down.
This is one of the main intents of walkthroughs. Sure, we'd all like to design things 100% perfect up front, but as much expertise as you have, contractors and sub-contractors who do one specific thing simply have way more knowledge and experience. 

And it's way better to figure that stuff out during the walkthrough rather than later in the process.

I have certain contractors that will see issues during a walkthrough and not say anything knowing that they can make it an issue later when work is already underway and get additional money through a change order.

This is one of the main intents of walkthroughs. Sure, we'd all like to design things 100% perfect up front, but as much expertise as you have, contractors and sub-contractors who do one specific thing simply have way more knowledge and experience. 

And it's way better to figure that stuff out during the walkthrough rather than later in the process.

I have certain contractors that will see issues during a walkthrough and not say anything knowing that they can make it an issue later when work is already underway and get additional money through a change order.
Sometimes we get tired of firing warning shots that get ignored. 

I'm bidding a large structure at a world-famous university next week. I've been part of the "team" for two years, but the CM's contract with the owner states that the CM has to get 3 bids for my discipline. 

The SEoR/Geotech conflict I mentioned above is in full play on this one. The owner hasn't hired the pre-bid geotechnical firm to do the inspection on site yet, so they have their asses up. The SEoR doesn't like the geotech guys, so they are battling. I have pointed out several conflicts over the last couple of years, only to get ignored (& knowing that it would help my competition when the job went to hard bid if my concerns became known to everyone).

This happens ALL of the time. Everything's "price" now, though. All these owners/CMs are doing is costing everyone involved money.

Ours is this afternoon.  I bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace, 'cause booze is always the right answer.  Incidentally, all the liquor stores here seem to be out of BT.  This is alarming to me.  

you nailed it, top to bottom. 

I just have the irrational perfectionist thing where even though I know better, and actually love getting feedback from subs and contractors, I still assume I'm supposed to know everything they know. 

Started off the week by hitting a big deer on the way in to work yesterday. Jury's still out on whether my car is totaled or not.
as a non-car guy, I read that first sentence imaging you walked up to a big buck and just cold-cocked him.

the car vs deer thing is scary as ####. glad you're ok and hope the insurance handles the car. where I grew up, my favorite HS drinking spot was at one of the local beaches- the road there was a blast to drive (through federal park and closed former military base) without any traffic or cops... but those deer loved jumping right into the middle of the road at the absolute worst spots. too many skidding/swerving stops with heart pounding out of my chest.

As a non-car guy, I read that first sentence imaging you walked up to a big buck and just cold-cocked him.

the car vs deer thing is scary as ####. glad you're ok and hope the insurance handles the car. where I grew up, my favorite HS drinking spot was at one of the local beaches- the road there was a blast to drive (through federal park and closed former military base) without any traffic or cops... but those deer loved jumping right into the middle of the road at the absolute worst spots. too many skidding/swerving stops with heart pounding out of my chest.
I honestly don't know how anybody here in suburban Maryland escapes a deer collision at some point in their driving careers. And in talking with people, it seems that few of us do. I don't know if there's even a viable solution to a common and fairly costly problem.

I honestly don't know how anybody here in suburban Maryland escapes a deer collision at some point in their driving careers. And in talking with people, it seems that few of us do. I don't know if there's even a viable solution to a common and fairly costly problem.
Bow hunting and feed the homeless.  Start killing the does.

Well, guess this is the right page for this then....

Sister was having some vision issues few months back, chalked it up to older age and parents with poor vision.  Got eye glasses for the first time in her life and though that helped some, she was still having problems with her left eye.  One good thing about my sister is she is persistent as hell and so she continued to tell her doctors something wasn't quite right and so the squeaky wheel got an MRI recently, tests came back and she's got a 7mm brain aneurysm (look who can spell THIS one right!) compressing her left optic nerve, hence the vision issues.

Squeaky goes in for surgery tomorrow at 10am.  Going in through her leg artery, travelling up to put a sleeve or something to cap off the aneurysm.  I think this sounds a lot worse than it is, but nothing like capping 2018 off with some brain surgery for your only sibling. 

Neat year.

Sister was having some vision issues few months back, chalked it up to older age and parents with poor vision.  Got eye glasses for the first time in her life and though that helped some, she was still having problems with her left eye.  One good thing about my sister is she is persistent as hell and so she continued to tell her doctors something wasn't quite right and so the squeaky wheel got an MRI recently, tests came back and she's got a 7mm brain aneurysm (look who can spell THIS one right!) compressing her left optic nerve, hence the vision issues.

Squeaky goes in for surgery tomorrow at 10am.  Going in through her leg artery, travelling up to put a sleeve or something to cap off the aneurysm.  I think this sounds a lot worse than it is, but nothing like capping 2018 off with some brain surgery for your only sibling. 

Neat year.
I hope she recovers fully and quickly.

Neat year.
just read a story a few minutes ago with very similar beginning but much worse ending. "glad" to see yours zig instead of zag into that blech territory.

best of luck to your sis on successful surgery and recovery. 

does she have somebody to help take of her afterwards?

just read a story a few minutes ago with very similar beginning but much worse ending. "glad" to see yours zig instead of zag into that blech territory.

best of luck to your sis on successful surgery and recovery. 

does she have somebody to help take of her afterwards?
Yeah, her ex-boyfriend she didn't want anything to do with and shipped back to Texas last year is flying up to take care of her, naturally.  We offered help with her boys, dogs and her too, but this is her preferred route.  

Neat year.
All the positive vibes to Squeaky, you, & yours GM

Neat year.
That's awesome that they found it and that she was persistent about it. This is much preferred than them not finding it in time. Good luck Squeaky!!

This might be stranger than the dude who had a thread documenting every move he played in Madden here for like 10 years.
1400 pages to go.  Could be the new year's eve countdown I've been looking for. 

Also, to those of you frequently given time outs, what's with the "you can read but you can't post" time out?  It's better since you don't have to clear cookies to sign on with another account, but I never even knew this existed.

1400 pages to go.  Could be the new year's eve countdown I've been looking for. 

Also, to those of you frequently given time outs, what's with the "you can read but you can't post" time out?  It's better since you don't have to clear cookies to sign on with another account, but I never even knew this existed.
Man if I could get one of those I might not even bother with an alias

Everybody buys lousy, cheap gifts (limit $10 for us) and they are exchanged through some dumb, random process that someone is convinced is 'fun'.
My wife's work Xmas party did one of these but everyone was supposed to bring a bottle of booze.  My wife bought Amaretto.  Most everybody else brought something decent or mid-shelf.  Some goon brought a $12 bottle of chardonnay.  The wife almost ended up with it but made a damn skillful move at the very end and landed a bottle of Tito's.

I've never had Tito's.  Does it mix well with Tang?

My wife's work Xmas party did one of these but everyone was supposed to bring a bottle of booze.  My wife bought Amaretto.  Most everybody else brought something decent or mid-shelf.  Some goon brought a $12 bottle of chardonnay.  The wife almost ended up with it but made a damn skillful move at the very end and landed a bottle of Tito's.

I've never had Tito's.  Does it mix well with Tang?
I kind of like amaretto 

My wife said "Amaretto is good to have around but nobody thinks to buy it".  She's in the biz so :shrug:  
Yeah we don’t currently have any, i may have to pick some up and make Godfathers (prefer using bourbon to scotch though which I’m sure it probably has its own  name like the Fredo or something)

Neat year.
Best to Squeaky and you.

Mr. krista went to the eye doctor last week and got glasses for the first time (at 42!), but he has to go back in a few weeks because the doctor saw something "troubling."  A glob of some sort.  Now I'm even more concerned.

Yeah we don’t currently have any, i may have to pick some up and make Godfathers (prefer using bourbon to scotch though which I’m sure it probably has its own  name like the Fredo or something)
How about calling it a "Marcello"?  When I think bourbon I think of the South.  Carlos Marcello was the "godfather" of New Orleans.  I dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread