What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (6 Viewers)

Unconscious racism like say having a black pimp as your avatar or maybe a black guy with a gun? You know, reinforcing those negative stereotypes. :P
:shrug:

My name is a nod to a hilarious character from the movie Friday. Is it a negative stereotype? Sure. Now if i had never met a black person, and assumed based on that movie(or my profile) all black people were pimps that carry guns and ride in pink limos and discriminated against them(maybe not rent them an apt for fear they will bring their ho's) based on that, it would be unconscious racism.
I think that's the thing. I don't think cops think all black people are dangerous but when they go into a ghetto part of town with predominately black population they are going have their guard up. Is that racist? I don't think so.
But this type of thing happens on all types of neighborhoods. We have seen plenty of times a minority in a nice neighborhood be profiled for example. I believe there are also studies where in the same part of town police tend to be more violent with minorities. What about the studies that show that resumes with "black" names being less likely to get an interview. They aren't likely saying they are black, i don't want to interview them. But if subconsciously this is the case, its racism. Its not just cops that seem to be the problem, its just that this unconscious racism at the hand of a cop, due to what they do can result in death, which is a much more noticeable problem then not being hired, or not being allowed to rent an apartment.

Unfortunately i don't think there is an easy way to solve this problem.
Statistically speaking blacks commit more crimes than other races, correct? Inevitably this is going to lead to profiling. I don't know how you avoid that.

That's why I just wish we could discuss excessive use of force separate from the race issue. Show me a cop harassing a minority that's not resisting arrest, running, escalating the situation, etc and I'm right there on their side with everyone else.
Actually, statistically speaking, blacks and whites use some illegal drugs at similar rates, with whites using at higher rates for some drugs. But blacks are arrested and convicted at much higher rates for crimes related to those drugs. Draw your own conclusions.
And those convictions lead to statistics which lead to people using those statistics to justify more profiling or possibly killing......
Like jon_mKooK.

Statistically speaking blacks commit more crimes than other races, correct? Inevitably this is going to lead to profiling. I don't know how you avoid that.

That's why I just wish we could discuss excessive use of force separate from the race issue. Show me a cop harassing a minority that's not resisting arrest, running, escalating the situation, etc and I'm right there on their side with everyone else.
The topic should be non-race specific and target general abuse by some police officers. I think that would be more productive. Unfortunately, because of the prevelence of black crime, police do harrass innocent blacks more often than whites. But I think if the issue of police conduct is addressed in general terms, it will translate into everyone being treated better.

What if during the struggle with the cop, the black guy said he was going to kill the wife and the kids, and the cop really believed he was running off to go and kill the wife and kids and the cop was too exhausted to stop him? Would that matter?

Unconscious racism like say having a black pimp as your avatar or maybe a black guy with a gun? You know, reinforcing those negative stereotypes. :P

My name is a nod to a hilarious character from the movie Friday. Is it a negative stereotype? Sure. Now if i had never met a black person, and assumed based on that movie(or my profile) all black people were pimps that carry guns and ride in pink limos and discriminated against them(maybe not rent them an apt for fear they will bring their ho's) based on that, it would be unconscious racism.
I think that's the thing. I don't think cops think all black people are dangerous but when they go into a ghetto part of town with predominately black population they are going have their guard up. Is that racist? I don't think so.
But this type of thing happens on all types of neighborhoods. We have seen plenty of times a minority in a nice neighborhood be profiled for example. I believe there are also studies where in the same part of town police tend to be more violent with minorities. What about the studies that show that resumes with "black" names being less likely to get an interview. They aren't likely saying they are black, i don't want to interview them. But if subconsciously this is the case, its racism. Its not just cops that seem to be the problem, its just that this unconscious racism at the hand of a cop, due to what they do can result in death, which is a much more noticeable problem then not being hired, or not being allowed to rent an apartment.

Actually, statistically speaking, blacks and whites use some illegal drugs at similar rates, with whites using at higher rates for some drugs. But blacks are arrested and convicted at much higher rates for crimes related to those drugs. Draw your own conclusions.
My conclusion would be that blacks use those drugs, disproportionally to whites, in areas where their illegal conduct is disproportionally more readily observed by law enforcement. It is not use which leads to arrest and conviction, but rather observation of that use by law enforcement which does.

The topic should be non-race specific and target general abuse by some police officers. I think that would be more productive. Unfortunately, because of the prevelence of black crime, police do harrass innocent blacks more often than whites. But I think if the issue of police conduct is addressed in general terms, it will translate into everyone being treated better.
unless the "prevalence of black crime" is a myth which is propagated by the police targeting black people more

What if during the struggle with the cop, the black guy said he was going to kill the wife and the kids, and the cop really believed he was running off to go and kill the wife and kids and the cop was too exhausted to stop him? Would that matter?
what if the cop said "I am going to let you run then shoot you in the back"

what if there was another black man with a gun to a child's head and he told the cop to shoot the first black man or the kid dies?

WHAT IF the guy running away was possessed by a demon?

WHAT IF THE COP WAS AN ALIEN (from space, not another country)????

unless the "prevalence of black crime" is a myth which is propagated by the police targeting black people more
I suggest you take a late night stroll down the streets of south Chicago and test your theory. Report back. :popcorn:

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Todd Andrews said:
Hang 10 said:
PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:
PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

My conclusion would be that blacks use those drugs, disproportionally to whites, in areas where their illegal conduct is disproportionally more readily observed by law enforcement. It is not use which leads to arrest and conviction, but rather observation of that use by law enforcement which does.
Is that because law enforcement is disproportionately targeting those areas?

spreagle said:
Not to me. If the cop was disabled, if his communications were out, if the black male had a weapon, if other officers were not all over the vicinity on foot and in police cruisers with sirens audible, and if the wife and kids were nearby and known, or at least thought to be home or where the male could find them, then, maybe it begins to change matters, but simply on the statement, absolutely not.

jon_mx said:
B-Deep said:
jon_mx said:
Hang 10 said:

I suggest you take a late night stroll down the streets of south Chicago and test your theory. Report back. :popcorn:
I'd suggest that's a very poor way to indict a race as somehow inherently criminal.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Todd Andrews said:
Hang 10 said:
PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:
PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

Is that because law enforcement is disproportionately targeting those areas?
Yes. I say that because the areas are more public areas. It is fairly difficult for law enforcement to know what is going on in a single family suburban or rural home. It is far easier to observe actions at clubs, in cars, at urban parks, and in multifamily urban housing where neighbors are more apt to call in complaints. I believe the demographics associated with urban/suburban-rural splits, and home ownership account for much of the disparity. I am not, however, going to argue that this fully explains it. Rather my position is that the original argument is specious and does not begin to account for all variables.

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

ETA: for reference
But since you have met a black person, the racism here is conscious?

jon_mx said:
B-Deep said:
jon_mx said:
Hang 10 said:

Dude, we get it. You don't like black people and think they are all criminals.

Give it a rest.

cstu said:
Yenrub said:
cstu said:
http://time.com/3814602/south-carolina-walter-scott-police-shooting-attorney/

Martin and Brown Attorney: How Many More Videos Will It Take, America?

Benjamin Crump April 8, 2015

(Benjamin Crump is an attorney who represents the families of Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and Tamir Rice.)

We must stop taking the standard police narrative at face value

What started out as a routine traffic stop quickly escalated into the death of Walter Scott. The city of North Charleston, S.C., was all too willing to accept the officers version of events, even though the physical evidence clearly showed that the officer had fired eight shots, with four of the eight shots fired hitting Scott in the back.

Far too often the police come up with the same narrative: I felt threatened, I felt afraid, the victim struggled with me, he reached for my gun. This is the same old story from officers that shoot unarmed black men. If not for the video, the officer would have been believed and his story would never have been questioned by the justice system or city officials.

Ive represented dozens of families of unarmed people of color who have been killed by police officers. And if I had a dollar for every time the reason given by the police was that they reached for my weapon or they attacked me and I felt in fear for my life, I wouldnt have enough room in my pockets. Whats sad is how often the police narrative is accepted, with no one but the family raising questions. The death of an unarmed individual is swept under the rug. Walter Scotts death was well on the way to being swept under the rugbut for the video. Therein lies the problem.

This video was shocking to much of America, but for many of us it was a scene we have experienced so many times in our communities that we werent shocked at all. When I saw it, I imagined how many times evidence has been planted, how ­many times untrue stories have been given as official statements, to help justify the killing of innocent people of color. Without the video it would be difficult for us to ascertain exactly what did occur, the mayor of the North Charleston, Keith Summey, said. But is that really true? I do not agree that it would be difficult. An unarmed black man is shot multiple times from behind while he is fleeing from an officer? That does not point to justified use of deadly force.

If this video shocked you, how about the video of the beating of Floyd Dent in Inkster, Mich., or the video of the fatal shooting of Tamir Rice in Cleveland, Ohio? What about the video of the shooting of Antonio Zambrano-Montes in Pasco, Washington, and the video of the beating of Alesia Thomas, in Los Angeles, both of whom later died?

Why are we still automatically accepting the police narrative? How many shocking videos of police misconduct do we need to show you, America, before you quit accepting the narrative?

North Charleston Police Chief Eddie Driggers, referring to his officers, said, One does not throw a blanket across the many. I agree with this statement. It should also apply to black men and all people of color.

There is a blanket of distrust, disrespect and indifference that has been thrown across black men in America. And it is resulting in too many deaths at hands of armed police officers who claim they are afraid
Stop doing stupid things around cops!

Floyd Dent - WTH are you doing trying to open your door on a traffic stop?

Tamir Rice - don't play with toy guns in public and certainly don't reach for it when the cops arrive.

Antonio Zambrano-Montes - WTH are you throwing rocks when cops have their guns pointed at you?

Alesia Thomas - don't resist arrest - cops have no sense of appropriate force and treat every suspect like they're Marshawn Lynch. Also, don't abandon your kids at the police station.
Are you ####### kidding me with the Tamir Rice incident?

You have grown ### men walking around in public with AR-15’s in Texas yet they managed not to get shot to death.

Some crazy old dude in Michigan holding a gun and daring the police to shoot him yet he doesn’t get shot to death

But a 12 year old playing with a ####### toy gets gunned down and you blame him for being a ####### 12 year old kid.

You are a ####### ####### rhymes with ducking basswhole
I guess the city of Cleveland is a ducking basswhole, too:

In the court filing, which was a formal response from the city to a federal lawsuit by the Rice family, city attorneys declare that Tamir and his family “were directly and proximately caused by their own acts. . .,” and added that Tamir caused his own death “by the failure. . . to exercise due care to avoid injury.”
Yes as it relates to this incident they most certainly are

A 12 year old kid caused his own death by playing with a toy in the park ....what a bunch of bull####

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

Not sure I get what you're saying here. Please, tell me more about Pinky's "conscious racism" as evidenced by his use of a black movie character in his avatar.

Last edited by a moderator:
PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

Not necessarily, which is why i think its very difficult to ascertain whether a person doing something is racist, or the result is due to some more unconscious form of racism or a racist process or institution that promotes practices that lead to discrimination by race. Or none of the above. If i met one black person in my life, that doesn't necessarily wipe out those more unconscious thoughts or practices.

Same argument goes for how blacks feel about(and pre-judge) cops. Most unconsciously fear them due to not much exposure to cops outside of being profiled and or witnessing these violent encounters in their communities. If there was more interaction and they had the chance to see/meet the good ones and interact at times when they aren't being profiled that might change their unconscious fear. Maybe they don't take off running for a change. Maybe the cops start to see them as humans instead of criminals to be feared. :shrug:

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

Not sure I get what you're saying here. Please, tell me more about Pinky's "conscious racism" as evidenced by his use of a black movie character in his avatar.
He admits that his avatar is in fact a negative stereotype of a race. I understand that he's being funny about it, but he's still knowingly perpetuating a negative stereotype for a laugh. How's that any different from making a joke about Asians not being able to drive, Jewish people being cheap, or white people having no athletic ability (and so on)? Those are also all negative racial stereotypes, are they not? As such, are they not all racist to some degree?

lod01 said:
Todd Andrews said:
Cops attacking white people, no deaths. No meat for the media.
OK, so wtf am I missing here? I counted 7 times that this punk was asked to leave the vehicle before he was maced, and then another 8 times before he was tazed, then another 7 times before he was finally physically pulled from the car. On what planet do punks now have the right to disobey a cop's clear, reasonable request to simply get out of the car 22 times? This video is actually perfect evidence showing the crap cops have to put up with on a daily basis, why it's a completely thankless job, and the extreme levels of stress they have to deal with.

This is a classic case of the inmates running the asylum. Guess what - you don't now have the right to disobey the police. You don't get to tell them the terms and conditions upon which you will exit a vehicle. The two punks got exactly what they deserved in that video. Cops shouldn't have tried to delete the video. They actually should have confiscated the phone and turned it in as evidence against them.

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

He admits that his avatar is in fact a negative stereotype of a race. I understand that he's being funny about it, but he's still knowingly perpetuating a negative stereotype for a laugh. How's that any different from making a joke about Asians not being able to drive, Jewish people being cheap, or white people having no athletic ability (and so on)? Those are also all negative racial stereotypes, are they not? As such, are they not all racist to some degree?
They could be. Not sure of your point though.

Do you look at an Asian and assume they can't drive? Or, a Jew, and assume he/she is cheap? Or a white guy, and assume he is unathletic?

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

I wouldnt say they are racist. But they are stereotypes. Stereotypes are going to found everywhere. We see them in movies all the time, in commercials, in music videos, the news. Are you saying the movie Friday is racist? Is that actor racist for playing the part? Its only when you act on a stereotype or discriminate based on that when it turns to being racist.

IMO we need to get to a point when people of different races, socio economic status, religion interact enough that people do not have to base their perception of a person completely on these stereotypes.

lod01 said:
Todd Andrews said:
OK, so wtf am I missing here? I counted 7 times that this punk was asked to leave the vehicle before he was maced, and then another 8 times before he was tazed, then another 7 times before he was finally physically pulled from the car. On what planet do punks now have the right to disobey a cop's clear, reasonable request to simply get out of the car 22 times? This video is actually perfect evidence showing the crap cops have to put up with on a daily basis, why it's a completely thankless job, and the extreme levels of stress they have to deal with.

This is a classic case of the inmates running the asylum. Guess what - you don't now have the right to disobey the police. You don't get to tell them the terms and conditions upon which you will exit a vehicle. The two punks got exactly what they deserved in that video. Cops shouldn't have tried to delete the video. They actually should have confiscated the phone and turned it in as evidence against them.
They were pulled over for a broken license plate light....a broken license plate light....the kid said he was a minor and wanted to wait for his mom before getting out of the car and then said he would get out after he was pepper sprayed. But apparently he wasnt moving fast enough and was tazed.

It is nice when you badge lickers come out so clearly.

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

I wouldnt say they are racist. But they are stereotypes. Stereotypes are going to found everywhere. We see them in movies all the time, in commercials, in music videos, the news. Are you saying the movie Friday is racist? Is that actor racist for playing the part? Its only when you act on a stereotype or discriminate based on that when it turns to being racist.

IMO we need to get to a point when people of different races, socio econimic status, religion interact enough that people do not have to base their perception of a person on these stereotypes.
How is a racial stereotype NOT racist? Didn't Tobias conclude for many of us in another thread that assuming or suggesting differences between races other than physical one, is the very definition of racism? It's all a matter of degree, right?

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

Well, for one thing a negative stereotype of a single movie character who falls under a particular stereotype of a certain kind of person within a race or ethnicity (in this case, a black pimp) is different than stereotyping the entire race, like your examples do. For another thing, this stereotype appeared in a movie made by black people, starring black people and embraced by the black community. I know there's some idiots who don't understand the concept of context who love to complain about "double standards," but most people with common sense realize that people making fun of themselves/their own race or ethnicity is far different than when outsiders do it.

lod01 said:
Todd Andrews said:

They were pulled over for a broken license plate light....a broken license plate light....the kid said he was a minor and wanted to wait for his mom before getting out of the car and then said he would get out after he was pepper sprayed. But apparently he wasnt moving fast enough and was tazed.

For the record, it was stated somewhere that both had weed on them. He had over an ounce (intent to distribute).

lod01 said:
Todd Andrews said:

For the record, it was stated somewhere that both had weed on them. He had over an ounce (intent to distribute).

lod01 said:
Todd Andrews said:

So?

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

IMO we need to get to a point when people of different races, socio econimic status, religion interact enough that people do not have to base their perception of a person on these stereotypes.
How is a racial stereotype NOT racist? Didn't Tobias conclude for many of us in another thread that assuming or suggesting differences between races other than physical one, is the very definition of racism? It's all a matter of degree, right?
You seem very confused .I said that claiming there are inherent differences other than physical ones, as the word "inherent" is usually defined, is racism. Obviously cultural differences starting at birth create all sort of differences between various races and ethnicities. Please don't claim try to tell people what I think or said and then totally mangle it. It's a pretty dooshy move. TIA.

lod01 said:
Todd Andrews said:

Badge licker? Cool. Can I call you punk lover now?

It doesn't matter what they were pulled over for. The officer smelled pot in the car and that is why they were being detained. And just because the girl says it ain't so doesn't mean jack squat.

Are you actually advocating that for every single interaction with people the cops now have to work on the other people's terms? That they have to wait for the kid's mom to show up?

When you crap on other people and treat them disrespectfully, they tend to crap right back. The lesson here isn't that cops are bad people. The lesson is that you shouldn't be such a tool when a you are pulled over.

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

Well, for one thing a negative stereotype of a single movie character who falls under a particular stereotype of a certain kind of person within a race or ethnicity (in this case, a black pimp) is different than stereotyping the entire race, like your examples do. For another thing, this stereotype appeared in a movie made by black people, starring black people and embraced by the black community. I know there's some idiots who don't understand the concept of context who love to complain about "double standards," but most people with common sense realize that people making fun of themselves/their own race or ethnicity is far different than when outsiders do it.
No, the stereotype in question is one of a race, not one of a single movie character. Just as the stereotype of a young black man holding a handgun in njherdfan's avatar picture. Those are both negative stereotypes of a race, just as the other examples I brought up are.

So by the part of your statement that's bolded - are you saying that if Pinky isn't black, that it wouldn't be the same? He said himself he used the picture to get a laugh, by making fun of a stereotype. I don't know if pinky is white, black, both, neither, green or blue - but by your comment, if he's not black then it's not the same.

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

The double standard is infuriating, and I have seen the negative consequences of it first hand. It has helped create this ridiculous notion that racism can be solved with racism (just reversing it to balance it out) and it's fostered a sense in many areas of the black community that the race card is a card to be played for their own personal gain. I've seen it, and I have amazing examples of it gone completely awry.

The thing that made MLK so great was his recognition that racism and injustice are universal, and that an injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. If you want a colorblind world, you have to be colorblind yourself. If you don't like the n-word being said, don't say it yourself.

lod01 said:
Todd Andrews said:

It doesn't matter what they were pulled over for. The officer smelled pot in the car and that is why they were being detained. And just because the girl says it ain't so doesn't mean jack squat.

Are you actually advocating that for every single interaction with people the cops now have to work on the other people's terms? That they have to wait for the kid's mom to show up?

When you crap on other people and treat them disrespectfully, they tend to crap right back. The lesson here isn't that cops are bad people. The lesson is that you shouldn't be such a tool when a you are pulled over.
You can call me an American lover. And I will call you a an authority sucking, statist, follower, badge licker.

I saw an interview last night with a former chief of police who said that everyone does something driving about every three blocks that could justify getting pulled over by a cop. He said ALL traffic stops are completely discretionary other than the obvious ones where a drunk is flying across lanes or something. And that we all can be pulled over at practically any time by a cop and the officer's reason will almost always be justified. He said these types of stops (broken license plate light--are you kidding me?) are just selective stop and checkouts cops make so they can approach the drivers.

That being said, my primary concern is that I dont think the cops should be pepperspraying and tazing minors because they wont get out of a car and there is no proof anyone has done anything illegal (smell pot..please). You apparently like the cops acting this way. Good for you.

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

No, the stereotype in question is one of a race, not one of a single movie character. Just as the stereotype of a young black man holding a handgun in njherdfan's avatar picture. Those are both negative stereotypes of a race, just as the other examples I brought up are.

So by the part of your statement that's bolded - are you saying that if Pinky isn't black, that it wouldn't be the same? He said himself he used the picture to get a laugh, by making fun of a stereotype. I don't know if pinky is white, black, both, neither, green or blue - but by your comment, if he's not black then it's not the same.
No, it's a character in a movie who is a caricature of a very specific type of stereotype borne out of 70s blaxploitation moves and the Iceberg Slim documentary. Others, like Dave Chapelle, have also used it for comic effect. I don't want to speak for Pinky but I assume he's using it because he thinks the character is funny on its own merits, not because he think it's a hilarious stereotype of every black man or even a large number of them. They are nothing like the stereotypes that you suggested of Asians being bad drivers or Jews being cheap.

lod01 said:
Todd Andrews said:

So?
It's against the law. The cops suspected they were breaking the law, which they are legally obligated to enforce, they #####ed and complained about it and resisted, and after all that it turns out the cops were right and they were detained correctly. And you think that is still irrelevant?

Holy cow. What am I missing here? This is like the Twilight Zone.

I saw an interview last night with a former chief of police who said that everyone does something driving about every three blocks that could justify getting pulled over by a cop. He said ALL traffic stops are completely discretionary other than the obvious ones where a drunk is flying across lanes or something. And that we all can be pulled over at practically any time by a cop and the officer's reason will almost always be justified. He said these types of stops (broken license plate light--are you kidding me?) are just selective stop and checkouts cops make so they can approach the drivers.

That being said, my primary concern is that I dont think the cops should be pepperspraying and tazing minors because they wont get out of a car and there is no proof anyone has done anything illegal (smell pot..please).
Excellent Post

lod01 said:
Todd Andrews said:

It's weird, but sometimes folks lie to cops. They don't know the kid is a minor until they properly I.D. him, maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but they are going to take steps to confirm matters. that's part of the job disruption. Also, telling cops how their investigation is going to move, or not move forward is not something which is ever going to work. Insisting you will not do something until your conditions are met is not your right. Your right s are to have the matter reviewed by a court of law, not to argue and set conditions during an investigation. Those kids helped create this situation.

All that said, the Cops handled the situation very poorly. they did not take verbal control of the situation which could have been done by acknowledging what each suspect had said, and then instructing them that having had their say it was time for them to listen. they could have taken more time, been more tolerant, and given clear and unequivocal directions including time frames for compliance.

As for attempting to delete the video, that is destruction of evidence. That should get an officer fired. He has now become essentially useless as an officer since any testimony he can give from here forward, in any matter, can be gutted by competent defense counsel.

Say officer, aren't you the guy who tried to destroy and hide evidence in case # ??????. Have you given up trying to hide evidence potentially exculpatory to defendants since then, and if so when. How can we really believe you when you claim you have, after all it seems fairly clear you where mentally and emotionally preparing to lie in that matter if you had to, why not this one?

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

If a white person had a picture of Pinky in their avatar, that isn't racist. Just means they like that movie and think the character is funny. Which was the intent of the character. Its only when you act on a stereotype or judge an entire group based on that stereotype that it becomes racist.

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

You seem very confused .I said that claiming there are inherent differences other than physical ones, as the word "inherent" is usually defined, is racism. Obviously cultural differences starting at birth create all sort of differences between various races and ethnicities. Please don't claim try to tell people what I think or said and then totally mangle it. It's a pretty dooshy move. TIA.
Unfortunately, I think trying to get some of the people in here to understand the nuances of what you are saying is an exercise in futility.

There are many here who completely do not understand racism and lack the capacity to ever get there. And a lot of their responses provide real time proof of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

lod01 said:
Todd Andrews said:

So?
It's against the law. The cops suspected they were breaking the law, which they are legally obligated to enforce, they #####ed and complained about it and resisted, and after all that it turns out the cops were right and they were detained correctly. And you think that is still irrelevant?

Holy cow. What am I missing here? This is like the Twilight Zone.
You are someone who loves a boot on your neck, or more preferably on the neck of those people you dislike. That is what you are missing about yourself.

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

Yes, I am confused, genuinely. I'm honestly trying to find the line of what's ok and what isn't, and yes, I am using your prior examples/explinations in an effort to help accomplish that. I'm sorry if using your prior statement, which I wasn't trying to mangle, to accomplish this task is dooshy - I was suggesting you might be someone knowledgeable on the topic. "Society" and "the media" always seem to bring up examples of what is racist, and I'm just trying to figure out what should be and shouldn't be.

As I'm sure you know, or have deduced by this point in our conversations here, I'm a white guy in my mid 30s. Lets say I used a profile picture of two women in a car accident, or (from an ad I saw recently) of a rich blonde white girl pouring oil over her car's engine because "the low oil light was on". Would either of those be sexist? Again, since I'm not a woman (thus not a part of that group), and I'm making fun of that group, isn't that wrong or at least not "PC"?

Lets say I have a picture of a "good ole' Alabama white boy" sitting on the tailgate of his jacked up Chevy pickup, with a pair of guns hanging from the gun rack in the truck's cab only somewhat visible through the Confederate flag, and a 12 point buck laying dead in the bed of the truck surrounded by a dozen or so empty beer cans? That's a stereotype of men in that area, and maybe not a positive one. Would that be wrong?

lod01 said:
Todd Andrews said:

You can call me an American lover. And I will call you a an authority sucking, statist, follower, badge licker.

That being said, my primary concern is that I dont think the cops should be pepperspraying and tazing minors because they wont get out of a car and there is no proof anyone has done anything illegal (smell pot..please). You apparently like the cops acting this way. Good for you.
Cool. You are a good name caller. I'm sure your mother is proud.

• So you object to cops pulling people over for broken tail lights?
  • You object to cops detaining people and investigating further when they smell pot in the car? And oh, as it turns out, the girl was lying and there was pot in the car?
  • And when the cops ask an aggressive person in the back seat to get out of the car, 22 times, you think that the cops should take the person at his word that he is 17, and then agree to his demands to wait for his mother to show up before getting out?
Sounds like anarchy to me. Sorry, but that's not America. The cops need to need to be held accountable for their despicable over-usage of deadly force, but they did nothing wrong with these two punks except try to delete the phone video, which I agree could be grounds for termination. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. We still need cops, and people still need to comply with the laws - or change them if they are unfair laws.

Last edited:
PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

So if an Asian guy has a picture of Jackie Moon, a movie character that is funny but might perpetuate some stereotypes around white people and basketball, in his avatar, you'd view that as racist?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/walter-scott-no-bench-warrant-issued-killed-article-1.2180438

Walter Scott had no warrant for unpaid child support at time of fatal S.C. police shooting

BY Melissa Chan / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS / Friday, April 10, 2015, 9:46 AM

There was no warrant out for South Carolina police shooting victim Walter Scott meaning he would not have been arrested had he not bolted from a traffic stop that resulted in his shooting death.

Scott, a father of four, was almost $7,500 behind in child support at the time he was shot and killed by a police officer Michael Slager. But there was no bench warrant issued for him, the Associated Press revealed Friday, citing court records.

No, it's a character in a movie who is a caricature of a very specific type of stereotype borne out of 70s blaxploitation moves and the Iceberg Slim documentary. Others, like Dave Chapelle, have also used it for comic effect. I don't want to speak for Pinky but I assume he's using it because he thinks the character is funny on its own merits, not because he think it's a hilarious stereotype of every black man or even a large number of them. They are nothing like the stereotypes that you suggested of Asians being bad drivers or Jews being cheap.
I'm glad you brought up Chapelle. I loved his show, as did many of my white male friends. Some of his stuff was absolutely great. He made fun of everyone, of every race (white, black, Hispanic, on and on). If I as a white guy were to make any of those jokes he did against blacks, that would be wrong, correct? But he can make jokes against blacks (because he himself is black), whites, Hispanics, and so on? Was it wrong if I laughed as jokes that were made about races other than my own? I don't mean for these questions to come across as "there is a double standard, and it sucks", again I'm honestly trying to figure out what should be viewed as ok and what shouldn't.

lod01 said:
Todd Andrews said:

It's weird, but sometimes folks lie to cops. They don't know the kid is a minor until they properly I.D. him, maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but they are going to take steps to confirm matters. that's part of the job disruption. Also, telling cops how their investigation is going to move, or not move forward is not something which is ever going to work. Insisting you will not do something until your conditions are met is not your right. Your right s are to have the matter reviewed by a court of law, not to argue and set conditions during an investigation. Those kids helped create this situation.

All that said, the Cops handled the situation very poorly. they did not take verbal control of the situation which could have been done by acknowledging what each suspect had said, and then instructing them that having had their say it was time for them to listen. they could have taken more time, been more tolerant, and given clear and unequivocal directions including time frames for compliance.

As for attempting to delete the video, that is destruction of evidence. That should get an officer fired. He has now become essentially useless as an officer since any testimony he can give from here forward, in any matter, can be gutted by competent defense counsel.

Say officer, aren't you the guy who tried to destroy and hide evidence in case # ??????. Have you given up trying to hide evidence potentially exculpatory to defendants since then, and if so when. How can we really believe you when you claim you have, after all it seems fairly clear you where mentally and emotionally preparing to lie in that matter if you had to, why not this one?
Yep. I wonder how many times cops have found drugs, guns, etc on people after those people assured them repeatedly they didn't have anything. Or how often people lie to cops about where they live, whose vehicle they are driving, etc. Can we really expect cops to just accept the words of people (who are likely in trouble and know it) as truth without doing their due diligence to verify?

And how do we know the cops attempted delete that video? Because the girl said they did? Same girl who said she didn't allow weed in her car?

PinkydaPimp said:
Hang 10 said:

Yes, I am confused, genuinely. I'm honestly trying to find the line of what's ok and what isn't, and yes, I am using your prior examples/explinations in an effort to help accomplish that. I'm sorry if using your prior statement, which I wasn't trying to mangle, to accomplish this task is dooshy - I was suggesting you might be someone knowledgeable on the topic. "Society" and "the media" always seem to bring up examples of what is racist, and I'm just trying to figure out what should be and shouldn't be.

As I'm sure you know, or have deduced by this point in our conversations here, I'm a white guy in my mid 30s. Lets say I used a profile picture of two women in a car accident, or (from an ad I saw recently) of a rich blonde white girl pouring oil over her car's engine because "the low oil light was on". Would either of those be sexist? Again, since I'm not a woman (thus not a part of that group), and I'm making fun of that group, isn't that wrong or at least not "PC"?

Lets say I have a picture of a "good ole' Alabama white boy" sitting on the tailgate of his jacked up Chevy pickup, with a pair of guns hanging from the gun rack in the truck's cab only somewhat visible through the Confederate flag, and a 12 point buck laying dead in the bed of the truck surrounded by a dozen or so empty beer cans? That's a stereotype of men in that area, and maybe not a positive one. Would that be wrong?
As far as your confusion- you didn't just make a minor mistake. The "inherent" part of the statement "it is racism if you think the races have inherent differences other than physical ones" was the whole point. It was really weird that you left it off.

As for your examples/questions- who knows? Whether any thing is racist or sexist or whatever depends on context- what you're trying to say when you say or do something.

\

For the life of me I don't understand why people don't get the concept of context. You know how you can call your significant other by a cute name but I can't call him/her by that name? Or how a comedian can crack a joke about the dumb ##### he met last night during a standup show but a politician can't do it during a debate? That's context. It's really a simple concept.

Users who are viewing this thread