What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Baltimore: The Next Ferguson? (5 Viewers)

The cop had 7 for sure, 9 likely and probably 10 jurors against him before the trial even started. One of the two white men (I'm gussing) based his decision on the facts of the case and decided to stand up for him. I don't see the controversy. Its not like all the others based their decisions on the facts of the case.

The cop had 7 for sure, 9 likely and probably 10 jurors against him before the trial even started. One of the two white men (I'm gussing) based his decision on the facts of the case and decided to stand up for him. I don't see the controversy. Its not like all the others based their decisions on the facts of the case.
Link?

Link?
Im sure he'll provide a valid link for this. Just be patient.

So we've had a liberal in this thread assert that there must be at least one white juror who refuses to convict a cop no matter what the evidence shows. And we've had a conservative in this thread insist that several of the black jurors are determined to convict these cops no matter what the evidence shows. That's just swell.

People often accuse me of being a naive believer in "the system", and I suppose I am. Is it possible that these jurors, white and black, went into this trial with honest, open minds, without preconceived notions of guilt or innocence, heard the evidence and simply disagree on their conclusions, and that disagreement is not divided on racial lines? Could that be possible?

So we've had a liberal in this thread assert that there must be at least one white juror who refuses to convict a cop no matter what the evidence shows. And we've had a conservative in this thread insist that several of the black jurors are determined to convict these cops no matter what the evidence shows. That's just swell.

People often accuse me of being a naive believer in "the system", and I suppose I am. Is it possible that these jurors, white and black, went into this trial with honest, open minds, without preconceived notions of guilt or innocence, heard the evidence and simply disagree on their conclusions, and that disagreement is not divided on racial lines? Could that be possible?
Not sure how it could be drawn across racial lines. The officer is black.

Not sure how it could be drawn across racial lines. The officer is black.
Well I agree. But if you've read previous posts, some people on both sides assume that it is.

So we've had a liberal in this thread assert that there must be at least one white juror who refuses to convict a cop no matter what the evidence shows.
Link?
Wasnt that you? You wrote that there was a consensus that there was a least one holdout who would never convict a cop of anything. Did you not agree with that consensus? If not, my apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
The general consensus here is that if they couldn't get a conviction for reckless endangerment, based on what was presented at trial, then there was at least one holdout on the jury who was pretty much never going to convict a Police for anything on any charge.
So your assuming bad jury comprised of one of maybe more racists? Just gathered that from your post. Maybe I read it wrong.
Um, completely wrong. The defendant in the case is African-American.

Assuming at least one authoritarian who will support police no matter what they do.
Here is what I said. It is a fascinating thought experiment to see how quickly people read race into my statement - something which honestly didn't occur to me since everyone here in Baltimore knows the defendant is African-American. As are the majority of the other police officers charged in this matter. As is the Mayor. As was the Chief of Police at the time.

To me, and I think to many of the protestors, this is first and foremost an issue of institutionalized police abuse.

Don't assume all the people here who oppose the way Baltimore Police do their business are black, and that all who support them are white. Because it's simply not true either way.

I apologize for assuming race, Man.

Nonetheless, the point of my post is still valid. Why do you have to assume that any of the jurors are predisposed toward a verdict? Couldn't it be that they all tried to objectively weigh the evidence and simply couldn't come to any agreement?

The general consensus here is that if they couldn't get a conviction for reckless endangerment, based on what was presented at trial, then there was at least one holdout on the jury who was pretty much never going to convict a Police for anything on any charge.
So your assuming bad jury comprised of one of maybe more racists? Just gathered that from your post. Maybe I read it wrong.
Um, completely wrong. The defendant in the case is African-American.

Assuming at least one authoritarian who will support police no matter what they do.
Here is what I said. It is a fascinating thought experiment to see how quickly people read race into my statement - something which honestly didn't occur to me since everyone here in Baltimore knows the defendant is African-American. As are the majority of the other police officers charged in this matter. As is the Mayor. As was the Chief of Police at the time.

To me, and I think to many of the protestors, this is first and foremost an issue of institutionalized police abuse.

Don't assume all the people here who oppose the way Baltimore Police do their business are black, and that all who support them are white. Because it's simply not true either way.
Maybe a black Juror didn't want to convict a black man/police officer. :shrug:

I don't think this is true and I heard yesterday the majority of jurors wanted to acquit, not convict. We'll see exactly how everyone voted shortly.

I have no idea what happened in that jury room. I do know that if you choose 12 random people, the odds that all 12 are capable of intelligently evaluating evidence and coming to a reasonable conclusion is pretty low. If the 12 people aren't truly random, and are instead 12 people chosen randomly from among those remaining after the ones intelligent enough to avoid jury duty in the first place are removed, the odds are even slimmer. Now, whether that favors the defense or prosecution in this case, I couldn't say.

IMO it has less to do with the jurors than it does the evidence.

As I said from the very beginning, they were too quick to charge...and too many charges they can't prove were charged.

I apologize for assuming race, Man.

Nonetheless, the point of my post is still valid. Why do you have to assume that any of the jurors are predisposed toward a verdict? Couldn't it be that they all tried to objectively weigh the evidence and simply couldn't come to any agreement?
Everybody has biases and they don't get checked at the courtroom door. Some of these biases are going to have a racial component, but I wouldn't want to assume something about a specific individual that I didn't know.

This could have gone down a number of different ways. I suspect we will find out at some point.

As I said from the very beginning, they were too quick to charge...and too many charges they can't prove were charged.
This is a good posting. The next guy up is the van driver, and for Murder 2. No way he's getting convicted of that. Defense is going to say that this guy's been driving guys all over Baltimore to Central Booking for years and nobody's ever been seriously injured before, let alone killed, despite having no seatbelt. And all of a sudden, he commits second degree homicide on Freddie Gray?

Prosecution's goal was to get a conviction on the first guy, then get his testimony in later trials in exchange for a light sentence. Now they've got nothing.

They should have charged fewer guys, and on lesser charges.

I don't think this is true and I heard yesterday the majority of jurors wanted to acquit, not convict. We'll see exactly how everyone voted shortly.
I hope you're right.

In that case let's just get rid of the whole system Rich. Just let judges decide and hope they can be objective.
This is one of the few times I agree with you. The jury pool is filling up with Walmart people. Not an individual judge but a group of a minimum 3... majority vote rules.

Ditka Butkus said:
timschochet said:
In that case let's just get rid of the whole system Rich. Just let judges decide and hope they can be objective.
This is one of the few times I agree with you. The jury pool is filling up with Walmart people. Not an individual judge but a group of a minimum 3... majority vote rules.
Umm, that was a sarcastic response on my part. I believe in the current system.

I was close, two stood up for him on one of the charges. 11-1 to acquit on manslaughter.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-porter-jury-split-20160115-story.html

The worst part here (currently) is that a local judge ordered the cop who was just released to testify in one of the other cases, which completely goes against the 5th Amendment. And now it is on appeal. If the city gets denied on that they are going to be holding a bag of nothing, because this seems like a desperation move.

Prominent activist @DeRay Mckesson filed to run for Baltimore mayor
This is the Black Lives Matter activist jumping into the race.

Others running are

In the Baltimore mayor's race, other Democrats running include engineer Calvin Allen Young III, former bank operations manager Patrick Gutierrez, Baltimore police Sgt. Gersham Cupid, author Mack Clifton, former UPS manager Cindy Walsh and nurse Wilton Wilson.

Republican candidates are Armand F. Girard, a retired math teacher; Chancellor Torbit, the brother of a slain police officer; Brian Charles Vaeth, a former city firefighter; Alan Walden, a former WBAL radio anchor; and Larry O. Wardlow Jr., who filed late Wednesday.

Others running are

In the Baltimore mayor's race, other Democrats running include engineer Calvin Allen Young III, former bank operations manager Patrick Gutierrez, Baltimore police Sgt. Gersham Cupid, author Mack Clifton, former UPS manager Cindy Walsh and nurse Wilton Wilson.

Republican candidates are Armand F. Girard, a retired math teacher; Chancellor Torbit, the brother of a slain police officer; Brian Charles Vaeth, a former city firefighter; Alan Walden, a former WBAL radio anchor; and Larry O. Wardlow Jr., who filed late Wednesday.
That list of Democratic candidates omits all the real contenders. Here are my power rankings:

Disgraced Former Mayor Sheila Dixon

State Senator Catherine Pugh

City Councilman Carl Stokes - perhaps the favored candidate of white Baltimore

City Councilman Nick Mosby (husband of State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby)

(tie) Generic white businesspeople Elizabeth Embry and David Warnock

DeRay's entry really shakes this thing up. About 75,000 people voted in the last Mayoral primary. If he's a legit 5th candidate (which I think he is), how many votes does it take to win? 25,000?

Will be very interesting.

Others running are

That list of Democratic candidates omits all the real contenders. Here are my power rankings:

Disgraced Former Mayor Sheila Dixon

State Senator Catherine Pugh

City Councilman Carl Stokes - perhaps the favored candidate of white Baltimore

City Councilman Nick Mosby (husband of State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby)

(tie) Generic white businesspeople Elizabeth Embry and David Warnock

DeRay's entry really shakes this thing up. About 75,000 people voted in the last Mayoral primary. If he's a legit 5th candidate (which I think he is), how many votes does it take to win? 25,000?

Will be very interesting.
Got it from the Baltimore Sun so I wasn't sure if it was accurate or not but thanks for updating.

The 2nd trial is underway in the death of Freddie Gray. So far the prosecution is 0-1. From today's proceedings, which involved the testimony of Officer Nero:

Gray was uncooperative at the initial stop. He didn't move, did not want to go but did not appear hurt.  The van showed up, Gray was loaded into the van, placed on a bench without a seatbelt, the van pulled away as a crowd was forming. Gray was never tased, but the crowd thought he had been. When EMT appeared, Gray was screaming and resisting, he asked for an inhaler but was not in apparent physical distress

http://live.baltimoresun.com/Event/Officer_Edward_Nero_trial_Freddie_Gray_case_live_coverage

What happened on Day 1?

Opening statements

Chief Deputy State's Attorney Michael Schatzow told Circuit Judge Barry G. Williams that officers pursued Freddie Gray through Gilmor Homes in West Baltimore after a supervisor, Lt. Brian Rice, radioed that he was engaged in a chase. All they knew, Schatzow said, was that Gray was being sought — but not why — when they handcuffed and searched him. Those were not grounds for an arrest, he said.

Attorneys for Officer Edward Nero sought Thursday to minimize his role in the arrest of Gray, saying that he pursued the 25-year-old based on a supervisor's calls for help and only touched him to try to find his inhaler.

Defense attorney Marc Zayon said his client had a limited role. Rice was out of Nero's view when he called out over the radio that he was involved in a pursuit, and Officer Garrett Miller was the one who caught and handcuffed Gray, Zayon said. Miller was in control, at one point asking Nero to retrieve his bike from a few blocks away.

Prosecutors argued that the officers who detained Gray on April 12, 2015 lacked legal justification to do so, making his arrest an assault.

To prove Nero committed an assault, Zayon said, prosecutors need to show "unconsented touching." And Nero, a trained EMT, only searched Gray after he asked for an inhaler, Zayon said.

Zayon, in his opening statements, said the officers were backed by legal precedent that allows for chasing and detaining someone who is fleeing in a high-crime area. He noted that the officers were patrolling the area after receiving a directive from "a designee of Marilyn Mosby, the State's Attorney of Baltimore City" to step up enforcement due to citizen complaints of open air drug dealing.

Terry stops

Schatzow referred to "Terry stops," the phrase used to describe a 1968 Supreme Court decision that held that officers can briefly detain someone if they have "reasonable suspicion" that the person has been involved in a crime. Schatzow said Nero and Miller "did nothing that Terry requires, and did things Terry does not allow" by not trying to find out why Gray was being pursued.

Witnesses

Eight witnesses were called during the first day of testimony, with prosecutors laying some of the same groundwork regarding police policies and training that they presented to a jury last December in the trial of Officer William Porter, which ended with a hung jury.

State and police

Prosecutors sought to show that the Police Department was focused on improving safety in arrest vans. It paid extra to outfit the vehicles with seat belts, performed audits to make sure they were being used, and just days before Gray's arrest issued a new rule requiring that officers always secure detainees with seat belts.

But police officials didn't always back prosecutors' contentions. Capt. Martin Bartness, who was involved in the drafting of the order, testified that officers always retain overarching discretion to make decisions based on circumstances.

The officer who performed the audits in 2014, Detective Edward Bailey, testified that he checked van drivers for compliance with the rules, because it was the driver's responsibility to belt detainees.

Training instructor Adam Long, who taught cadets how to safely seat-belt detainees, also backed the idea that the "wagon man" takes control once an arrest is made. But, under questioning from Zayon, he maintained that detainees shouldn't be left unsecured even if they are combative.

Zayon noted that department policies were employment rules, not state laws. He said officers fear that detainees will head-butt or spit on them, and said an unruly crowd was gathering as Gray was being arrested.

But Schatzow said Nero "needlessly risked Mr. Gray's life, and thereby ignored his duty to keep him safe" by not securing him. He said Nero was in no danger from Gray, but simply didn't care.  

What is Nero charged with? 

Nero is not charged in Gray's death, but is accused of putting him into a dangerous situation. The judge has limited discussion in Nero's case about the extent of Gray's injuries, after defense attorneys argued that reckless endangerment only requires prosecutors to show the conduct was risky, and not necessarily what resulted.

Nero, 30, is charged with second-degree assault and misconduct related to Gray's arrest, and reckless endangerment and a second count of misconduct stemming from the way Gray was loaded into the van.

The trial, which could last five days, also involves allegations that Nero failed to care for Gray when he did not secure him with a seat belt in the back of the arrest van, where Gray ultimately suffered a fatal spine injury.

Legal analysis

Legal observers have said the case is expected to involve complex arguments about the authority of officers to stop citizens.

Smart of Mosby to prosecute this case 2nd.  She needs a win, and this is the easiest charge to get it on.  I have no problem with a reckless endangerment conviction if it happens.

Baltimore Sun

Freddie Gray case: Officer Nero found not guilty of all charges

Baltimore Police Officer Edward Nero was found not guilty of all charges by a judge Monday morning for his role in the arrest of Freddie Gray.

Nero, 30, had been charged with second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and two counts of misconduct in office, all related to his role in Gray's initial detention and arrest on April 12, 2015.

Circuit Judge Barry G. Williams handed down his judgment around 11 a.m. in a downtown courthouse. Nero chose a bench trial, leaving his legal fate in the hands of Williams instead of a jury.

Nero was the second of six city police officers charged in the case to stand trial. The first trial, of Officer William Porter, ended in a hung jury and mistrial last December.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Did anyone really think these charges were legit? It's been A laughing stock.
I thought the charges were legit, but that they would be difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. I'm not surprised by this outcome. I hope the community doesn't react in a bad way. 

I thought the charges were legit, but that they would be difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. I'm not surprised by this outcome. I hope the community doesn't react in a bad way. 

Given these results it might be prudent to drop the remaining charges. 

- City leaders need to tell the truth now. The charges were and are bogus. This hasn't been close. The first case was 11-1 acquit IIRC.

+++ The Baltimore cops are now 2-0 in fairly easy wins.
It was all based on the idea that they purposefully failed to properly restrain him and then drove erratically to injure him.

It was what, the previous week where there was even a directive to seatbelt prisoners?  And there was never any evidence  that they gave him a "rough ride".  On the contrary, there was evidence he was flinging himself around even when the vehicle was stopped.

The whole thing was a stupid political game.

Every protester I've heard interviewed outside of the courtroom today. "No justice, no peace". Great...
What people never seem to understand is that none of these incidents are in a vacuum. Perhaps the Baltimore police are not guilty of deliberately trying to harm Freddie Gray. But they ARE guilty of decades of institutionalized racism against black youths. Every protestor that gets upset about this outcome looks at it with that in mind. 

What people never seem to understand is that none of these incidents are in a vacuum. Perhaps the Baltimore police are not guilty of deliberately trying to harm Freddie Gray. But they ARE guilty of decades of institutionalized racism against black youths. Every protestor that gets upset about this outcome looks at it with that in mind. 
Maybe that's the problem.  They can't look at any of these cases on their merits. Everyone is guilty because people are angry.

I can't imagine a justice system working like that.  What an irrational cluster#### that would be.

Maybe that's the problem.  They can't look at any of these cases on their merits. Everyone is guilty because people are angry.

I can't imagine a justice system working like that.  What an irrational cluster#### that would be.
I don't disagree. And don't get me wrong: I think the protestors are in the wrong here. But I understand their anger. And I have no idea how to fix it. 

I don't disagree. And don't get me wrong: I think the protestors are in the wrong here. But I understand their anger. And I have no idea how to fix it. 
Start by not letting them think it is acceptable.  This is the kind of idea that lynch mobs were formed around.  Follow the example of men who have actually made a long term difference.

People who riot in anger just lead to decades of more discontent.

Start by not letting them think it is acceptable.  This is the kind of idea that lynch mobs were formed around.  Follow the example of men who have actually made a long term difference.

People who riot in anger just lead to decades of more discontent.
Are there any responsible leaders who have done otherwise? Certainly Obama, whom conservatives are always eager to blame for the heightening of racial tensions, has been quick to denounce violence in every instance. 

It was all based on the idea that they purposefully failed to properly restrain him and then drove erratically to injure him.

It was what, the previous week where there was even a directive to seatbelt prisoners?  And there was never any evidence  that they gave him a "rough ride".  On the contrary, there was evidence he was flinging himself around even when the vehicle was stopped.

The whole thing was a stupid political game.
People's lives and careers have been ruined, and because of the police pullback now murder and violent crime rates have skyrocketed. The failure to deal with the real hard truth has resulted in incalculable harm.

Users who are viewing this thread