What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Long Island serial killer suspect in custody (1 Viewer)

mr. furley

Footballguy
some of you may have watched/seen/heard news stories over the years. thought they'd never catch the guy.

(article posted below to save you the migraine of having to access the NYPost website :x )

A suspected serial killer has been arrested over the notorious Gilgo Beach murders in Long Island, The Post can confirm.

Rex Heuermann, 59, a married architect at a New York City firm, was arrested after being matched to DNA, sources told The Post Friday as cops swarmed his home on 1st Avenue in Massapequa Park.

The suspect is due in court later today, according to another source who did not confirm the identity.

The arrest is tied to the so-called “Gilgo Four,” women found wrapped in burlap within days of each other in late 2010, and not the other six who were later eyed as possibly being connected, the source said.

State and Suffolk County police — both at the scene since the early hours — did not officially confirm the arrest Friday but teased upcoming press conferences.

Heuermann is the owner and founder of Midtown architecture firm RH Consultants and Associates, which counts Catholic Charities, NYC-DEP Sewerage Treatment and American Airlines as clients, according to its website.

In an interview posted to YouTube channel Bonjour Realty, Heuermann said he was “born and raised on Long Island.”

“I’ve been working in Manhattan since 1987, very long time,” he said.

On Friday morning, investigators swarmed Heuremann’s run-down home and removed a cooler at one point.

“He seemed like a regular neighbor,” said Barry Auslander, 72, who lives down the block. “I never thought he was anything but a businessman, average guy who had a family and went to work.”

Fears of a serial killer emerged when the body of Melissa Barthelemy, 24, was found along Ocean Parkway on Dec. 11, 2010 — with the remains of three other women found in the following days.

The so-called “Gilgo Four” — Barthelemy along with Megan Waterman, 22, Amber Lynn Costello, 27, and Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25 — were found whole, wrapped in burlap about one-tenth of a mile apart from each other on the beach.

By spring 2011, the number of bodies had climbed to 10 — eight women as well as an unidentified man and toddler.

The bodies were found during a search for missing Jersey City-based sex worker Shannan Gilbert, whose body wasn’t found until December 2011, a year after the Gilgo Four.

John Ray, an attorney for Gilbert’s family, told News 12 that he “had a very strong, credible tip that they were about to close in on an arrest” around a week ago.

However, he confirmed that he had not heard anything official from investigators, whom he had not heard from since “several months ago.”

“We’re pleased if they actually managed to find somebody that can be tagged for this,” said Ray, who also represents the family of Jessica Taylor, 20, another of the dead women not part of the initial four.

“We’re pleased that something is finally occurring, because we’ve been frustrated.”

Friday’s arrest came after Suffolk County’s new police commissioner created a special Gilgo Beach Homicide Investigation Task Force in February last year.

It included help from state police, local sheriffs, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office as well as the FBI.

“I believe this case is solvable and identifying the person or people responsible for these murders is a top priority,” Commissioner Rodney Harrison, the NYPD’s former chief of department, said at the time.

"Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond A. Tierney, Police Commissioner Rodney K. Harrison, Suffolk County Sheriff Errol D. Toulon, Jr., as well as representatives from the New York State Police and Federal Bureau of Investigation will hold a news conference at 4 p.m."

One town away from me. My oldest son surfs weekly at Gilgo.

Dude is married with 2 kids. Caught him tracking his burner phones which he used to solicit prostitutes.

In an interview with one of his neighbors they mentioned the suspects father used to jog around the neighborhood in the 1970’s carrying an ax.

Architect from NY, huh? Is he a football guy who wears a scarf?
My first thought, too!
my wife texted me the news at the office... loving that it was an architect.

I showed the picture to a couple people at the office and thought, huh... that dude doesn't look like an architect- he looks like an expeditor (who are typically also licensed architects). yep. expeditor.

My name isn't Rex, in case you were wondering.
holy hell... :lmao: ... I JUST remembered that I used to use the name Rex as my restaurant name back in the 80s and 90s. my real name is one of the big 5, so I wanted something easy to spell and hear when the hostess yelled that your table was ready... and not have 10 other dudes all bum-rush her too.

worked great until one crazy popular no reservation thai spot in soho, where 2 hours later I fumed to the hostess where's my table? who? REX! we already sat Rex's table. :wall:

holy hell... :lmao: ... I JUST remembered that I used to use the name Rex as my restaurant name back in the 80s and 90s. my real name is one of the big 5, so I wanted something easy to spell and hear when the hostess yelled that your table was ready... and not have 10 other dudes all bum-rush her too.

worked great until one crazy popular no reservation thai spot in soho, where 2 hours later I fumed to the hostess where's my table? who? REX! we already sat Rex's table. :wall:
Price Waterhouse-Coopers?

Price Waterhouse-Coopers?

been the Big 4 since Enron took out AA

but Flop is a Big 4 guy so that would work

mine, too

my aunt named her son the same name as me (2 years later)

caused a bit of a tiff between her and my mom, apparently they didn't talk to each other for months lol

(they were best friends for life, visited each other every summer despite never living nearby....finding out as adults they ever argued about anything was a hoot)

some of you may have watched/seen/heard news stories over the years. thought they'd never catch the guy.

(article posted below to save you the migraine of having to access the NYPost website :x )

A suspected serial killer has been arrested over the notorious Gilgo Beach murders in Long Island, The Post can confirm.

Rex Heuermann, 59, a married architect at a New York City firm, was arrested after being matched to DNA, sources told The Post Friday as cops swarmed his home on 1st Avenue in Massapequa Park.

The suspect is due in court later today, according to another source who did not confirm the identity.

The arrest is tied to the so-called “Gilgo Four,” women found wrapped in burlap within days of each other in late 2010, and not the other six who were later eyed as possibly being connected, the source said.

State and Suffolk County police — both at the scene since the early hours — did not officially confirm the arrest Friday but teased upcoming press conferences.

Heuermann is the owner and founder of Midtown architecture firm RH Consultants and Associates, which counts Catholic Charities, NYC-DEP Sewerage Treatment and American Airlines as clients, according to its website.

In an interview posted to YouTube channel Bonjour Realty, Heuermann said he was “born and raised on Long Island.”

“I’ve been working in Manhattan since 1987, very long time,” he said.

On Friday morning, investigators swarmed Heuremann’s run-down home and removed a cooler at one point.

“He seemed like a regular neighbor,” said Barry Auslander, 72, who lives down the block. “I never thought he was anything but a businessman, average guy who had a family and went to work.”

Fears of a serial killer emerged when the body of Melissa Barthelemy, 24, was found along Ocean Parkway on Dec. 11, 2010 — with the remains of three other women found in the following days.

The so-called “Gilgo Four” — Barthelemy along with Megan Waterman, 22, Amber Lynn Costello, 27, and Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25 — were found whole, wrapped in burlap about one-tenth of a mile apart from each other on the beach.

By spring 2011, the number of bodies had climbed to 10 — eight women as well as an unidentified man and toddler.

The bodies were found during a search for missing Jersey City-based sex worker Shannan Gilbert, whose body wasn’t found until December 2011, a year after the Gilgo Four.

John Ray, an attorney for Gilbert’s family, told News 12 that he “had a very strong, credible tip that they were about to close in on an arrest” around a week ago.

However, he confirmed that he had not heard anything official from investigators, whom he had not heard from since “several months ago.”

“We’re pleased if they actually managed to find somebody that can be tagged for this,” said Ray, who also represents the family of Jessica Taylor, 20, another of the dead women not part of the initial four.

“We’re pleased that something is finally occurring, because we’ve been frustrated.”

Friday’s arrest came after Suffolk County’s new police commissioner created a special Gilgo Beach Homicide Investigation Task Force in February last year.

It included help from state police, local sheriffs, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office as well as the FBI.

“I believe this case is solvable and identifying the person or people responsible for these murders is a top priority,” Commissioner Rodney Harrison, the NYPD’s former chief of department, said at the time.
Good news, indeed.

Architect from NY, huh? Is he a football guy who wears a scarf?
My first thought, too!
my wife texted me the news at the office... loving that it was an architect.

I showed the picture to a couple people at the office and thought, huh... that dude doesn't look like an architect- he looks like an expeditor (who are typically also licensed architects). yep. expeditor.
It was the lack of a scarf that gave him away.

"Officials found between 200 and 300 firearms in a walled-off vault behind a locked metal door in Heuermann’s basement, according to a source with knowledge of the case.

The stash included pistols, revolvers and semi-automatic rifles. Heuermann was an avid hunter, but the trove was more guns than authorities were expecting – they only knew of 92 that he had registered in the state."

That's more guns than some gun stores.

Users who are viewing this thread