What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US officials: Massive breach of federal personnel data (1 Viewer)

larch

Footballguy
http://news.yahoo.com/us-officials-massive-breach-federal-personnel-data-210302099--politics.html

WASHINGTON (AP) The Obama administration is scrambling to assess the impact of a massive data breach involving the agency that handles security clearances and employee records, U.S. officials said Thursday.

A congressional aide familiar with the situation, who declined to be named because he was not authorized to discuss it, said the Office of Personnel Management and the Interior Department were hacked. A second U.S. official who also declined to be identified said the data breach could potentially affect every federal agency.

The White House was considering a public announcement of the breach Thursday night or Friday morning, the second official said.

The Office of Personnel Management is the human resources department for the federal government, and issues security clearances.

In November, a former Department of Homeland Security official disclosed another cyberbreach that compromised the private files of more than 25,000 DHS workers and thousands of other federal employees.

The OPM conducts more than 90 percent of federal background investigations, according to its website.

Is anyone concerned by the recent spate of news on what seems like almost the entire US government being hacked?

• The executive branch
  • State Department
  • Defense Department
  • Office of personnel management
Today it's Congressional staff:

http://www3.blogs.rollcall.com/hill-blotter/opm-breach-includes-congressional-staffers/

At various times these have been attributed to sources inside Russia and China.

What the hell is going on here?

What are the consequences?

is anyone getting canned?

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife got a letter today about this saying her data may have been compromised.

The only time she dealt with OPM was way back in 1990 when she went for a security clearance.

My wife got a letter today about this saying her data may have been compromised.

The only time she dealt with OPM was way back in 1990 when she went for a security clearance.
Yea but he was probably complaining about how overrated The Shawshank redemption was.

Is anyone concerned by the recent spate of news on what seems like almost the entire US government being hacked?

• The executive branch
  • State Department
  • Defense Department
  • Office of personnel management
Today it's Congressional staff:

http://www3.blogs.rollcall.com/hill-blotter/opm-breach-includes-congressional-staffers/

At various times these have been attributed to sources inside Russia and China.

What the hell is going on here?

What are the consequences?

is anyone getting canned?
Whoever let the contractor run a bunch of programs on the internal network are probably gonna get canned, but besides that what can you do? Sony got hacked, bunch of banks got hacked, Target got hacked, it's part of the world we live in. What do you suggest? Going back to the way VA did it?

What could have been done differently?

OPM didn't even have IT staff until 2013. The breach lasted more than a year.

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/opm-breach-security-privacy-debacle/
All that stuff is contracted out, Lockeed Martin handles a lot of IT for the government for example. The only thing internal IT staffs do at most government agencies is management, not nuts and bolts application. Whether OPM had IT staff or not the breach probably still would have happened.

I asked you before what Sony or Target could have done, but you must not feel like answering that question.

The lack of staff means no management which means the breach wasnt noticed for ayear. - Sony's mistakes have been documented and Target and Sony both assure customers that the data they receive is now indeed secure, so obviously there are ameliorative steps which could have been taken before but which weren't. It's also absurd to argue that there is no such way to secure data by the best that the government can afford. If the data cannot be so secured it shouldn't be kept on networks in the first place, people hand that personal information over on the premise it will be secured. If the government either can't do it's job or if the government is lying about the fact that it can do what it's promised it's a problem.

The lack of staff means no management which means the breach wasnt noticed for ayear. - Sony's mistakes have been documented and Target and Sony both assure customers that the data they receive is now indeed secure, so obviously there are ameliorative steps which could have been taken before but which weren't. It's also absurd to argue that there is no such way to secure data by the best that the government can afford. If the data cannot be so secured it shouldn't be kept on networks in the first place, people hand that personal information over on the premise it will be secured. If the government either can't do it's job or if the government is lying about the fact that it can do what it's promised it's a problem.
I never even implied the bold, you seem to be intent at just bashing the government with or without my help. So good luck with that, sailor.

I'm glad you are so concerned about this, it was my personal data that was lost and I'm less outraged than you are. :lmao:

I never even implied the bold, you seem to be intent at just bashing the government with or without my help. So good luck with that, sailor.

I'm glad you are so concerned about this, it was my personal data that was lost and I'm less outraged than you are. :lmao:
DD, actually I respect you, I asked for comments and you gave them, you're an informed guy, seriously, thanks, wasn't trying to combat or harangue you.

All the money the gubment throws at IT is related to National Security. I think elsewhere it is probavlt pretty good, but it's not gonna be better than corporate security. Why? Money. Plus the sheer volume of attacks on government systems makes a breach more likely. I mean DOD created a big command just to combat and respond to IT attacks.

yeah, this is an interesting issue. I'm a federal govt employee and I haven't received a single memo on this. Not sure what the deal really is. Other than China knows more about me than I know about myself...

My department emails said individuals who were affected would be notified by email and snail mail between June 8 and June 19. I haven't seen anything yet. I've received multiple emails about tips and what to look for, but nothing indicating whether I'm affected.

Users who are viewing this thread