What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

University of Idaho college student murders - suspect arrested (1 Viewer)

Crazy stuff. I think we all assumed the victims were murdered in their sleep. I am shocked the one girl was awake, as she had just ordered food. No screams?

Crazy stuff. I think we all assumed the victims were murdered in their sleep. I am shocked the one girl was awake, as she had just ordered food. No screams?
The surviving roommate said she heard someone say, "There is someone in the house." And then she heard crying from the girl who ordered food. I think some people suggested that the boyfriend was found outside the bedroom. Apparently, the dog was also barking. The surviving roommate poked her head outside her bedroom door three times so it sounds like there was a reasonable amount of commotion. She froze up. It sounds baffling but it happens to some people. I'm surprised by her description of the killer walking towards her while she was frozen in her doorway and he continued past and out of the house. This would have been right after a potential scuffle with the boyfriend so maybe he was fatigued and wary of encountering another guy who might overpower him.

I read theories that the two girls upstairs had rooms that were very visible from the outside and they were the likely targets. It seems they were killed first and maybe the couple on the floor below happened upon the killer as he was leaving and they were expecting their food so he killed them and then continued out of the house.

Note that it says she saw him. She doesn't say he looked at her. Tracy on my link above thinks he could have been so fatigued, that he walked right past her and didn't notice her and/or thought his goal was accomplished. Also, when people go into shock, they can totally freeze up.

He’s confident and calm in these court videos. We’ll see how confident and calm he is in a few months after the mental and physical torture he’s about to endure.

Note that it says she saw him. She doesn't say he looked at her. Tracy on my link above thinks he could have been so fatigued, that he walked right past her and didn't notice her and/or thought his goal was accomplished. Also, when people go into shock, they can totally freeze up.
...and when they're intoxicated they don't make good well informed decisions. I have no clue if this woman was blitzed, but it was 4 am at a party house on a weekend night. I don't remember those days fairly well.

By the way, if you find the Idaho site crashing or slow, you can see the whole thing here.
For a PhD student (or anyone really), this guy isn’t that bright.
It's somewhat of a myth that these types of defendants are highly intelligent. Generally, most defendants of this type have below average IQs and are usually socially awkward. In other words, somebody like a Bundy is the exception, not the rule.

Also - it's not just as simple as saying the dude was at the party and left the knife sheath there.

Left the knife sheath on the bed next to a dead body. Or, the "real killer" picked up the knife sheath that he found laying around the house somewhere and put it on the bed. Sure.
You realize I dont think thats what happened. But a lawyer can easily use that theory in his defense.
A lawyer can use any theory they come up with. Doesn't mean it is a winning theory
This is also a myth. While a defense attorney has a pretty broad ability to advance theories, a defense attorney is still limited by ethics in what he or she can advance at court. For example, last year I had to seek (and obtained) an emergency continuance the day of trial because, the night before, I learned of new evidence (long, complicated story as to how and why) that put me in a position where I could not ethically present the factual defense I had intended to.

Guy should have committed these crimes up in Pullman, Washington where he lived.

No death penalty in Washington state.

Unless this is what he wanted....

I mean, for a guy getting his PhD in Criminology, he sure made some clumsy mistakes. Almost like he knew he'd get caught?
Most defendants who commit these crimes generally do.

TV creates a myth where they make it seem like it's way easier to get away with a brutal murder than it actually is.

The surviving roommate said she heard someone say, "There is someone in the house." And then she heard crying from the girl who ordered food. I think some people suggested that the boyfriend was found outside the bedroom. Apparently, the dog was also barking. The surviving roommate poked her head outside her bedroom door three times so it sounds like there was a reasonable amount of commotion. She froze up. It sounds baffling but it happens to some people. I'm surprised by her description of the killer walking towards her while she was frozen in her doorway and he continued past and out of the house. This would have been right after a potential scuffle with the boyfriend so maybe he was fatigued and wary of encountering another guy who might overpower him.

I read theories that the two girls upstairs had rooms that were very visible from the outside and they were the likely targets. It seems they were killed first and maybe the couple on the floor below happened upon the killer as he was leaving and they were expecting their food so he killed them and then continued out of the house.
It's not baffling and it's relatively common in these situations.

...and when they're intoxicated they don't make good well informed decisions. I have no clue if this woman was blitzed, but it was 4 am at a party house on a weekend night. I don't remember those days fairly well.
They didn't have a party that night, and she didn't look blitzed at the food truck. She may have gotten high later, but she could have been very tired. It was after 4 in the morning. She may explain more in the future of what she was thinking and feeling. Maybe the mask wasn't too unusual if it was a ski mask, and it was a cold night, and he was departing. His appearance scared her, but he didn't harm her as he went by, so maybe that confused her on if he was a bad guy or not. I'm sure she has a list of regrets from that night that will haunt her forever. The whole thing will haunt her forever.

Last edited:
They didn't have a party that night, and she didn't look blitzed at the food truck. She may have gotten high later, but she could have been very tired. It was after 4 in the morning. She may explain more in the future of what she was thinking and feeling. Maybe the mask wasn't too unusual if it was a ski mask, and it was a cold night, and he was departing. His appearance scared her, but he didn't harm her as he went by, so maybe that confused her on if he was a bad guy or not. I'm sure she has a list of regrets from that night that will haunt her forever. The whole thing will haunt her forever.
The roommate that saw him was not at the food truck

The roommate that saw him was not at the food truck
That's right.

Tracy explaining why room mate might have done what she did. And why she wasn't killed.
i get it, but applying rational logic to something as irrational as the mind of a person willing to murder 4 random people seems like a fruitless exercise.

one could just as easily speculate that this lunatic was seeing visions and interpreted the surviving roommate as a refrigerator. only he knows.. and he may not even know.

eta: just saw a video on reddit of some poor woman getting dragged out of the passenger seat of a parked car, then shot to death in a parking lot, while the driver of the same car gets out and casually strolls away with just a casual glance over the shoulder.

the murderer didn't turn his gun on the driver and the driver didn't react in any way to acknowledge that his friend was being executed just a few feet away in broad daylight.

fight or flight is weird

Guy should have committed these crimes up in Pullman, Washington where he lived.

I mean, for a guy getting his PhD in Criminology, he sure made some clumsy mistakes. Almost like he knew he'd get caught?

TV creates a myth where they make it seem like it's way easier to get away with a brutal murder than it actually is.
I've always said that I'd be able to get away with a crime LONGER than the typical everyday criminal, but this logic also drives me NOT to be a criminal because I know that EVENTUALLY I'll be caught.

I've always said that I'd be able to get away with a crime LONGER than the typical everyday criminal, but this logic also drives me NOT to be a criminal because I know that EVENTUALLY I'll be caught.
For sure. Plus, defense attorneys are very expensive.

And you didn't swing by to say "Hi"? No more cookies for you! ;)

Didn't stop by to see me, either, and I've bought chopsticks from him! (Which we still use, by the way.)
Totally forgot that I used to ****ing make chopsticks. Glad they are still kicking around!

I'd be interested in some chopsticks....maybe we can work out a barter?
@krista4 and I have a private meaning of "chopsticks". You are welcome to dive into our deep dark fantasies if you so please

And you didn't swing by to say "Hi"? No more cookies for you! ;)

Didn't stop by to see me, either, and I've bought chopsticks from him! (Which we still use, by the way.)
Totally forgot that I used to ****ing make chopsticks. Glad they are still kicking around!

I'd be interested in some chopsticks....maybe we can work out a barter?
@krista4 and I have a private meaning of "chopsticks". You are welcome to dive into our deep dark fantasies if you so please

I'm just here for chopstick chopsticks.....

:oldunsure:

fight or flight is weird
not as weird as the ##### you watch on reddit :oldunsure:
r/crazy****ingvideos is pretty crazy
No thanks man...not sure how or why so many people enjoy watching other humans get seriously hurt or killed.
it's mostly (99%) just crazy videos. murder/death is pretty tightly modded and deleted.

it's mostly things like using lava to light a joint - https://www.reddit.com/r/Crazy****ingVideos/comments/104shy0/using_lava_to_light_a_joint/ - and bears trying to jump further than nature allows - https://www.reddit.com/r/Crazy****ingVideos/comments/104wwns/bearly_missed/

All the lawyer has to do is say the guy was at the house for parties in the past and left his knife sheath behind.
I think it is not believable that one of the victims likes to keep a past partygoers knife sheath laying on her bed beside her as she sleeps.
Defendant left behind knife & sheath on a previous date. Real killer found knife/sheath when entering the house and use it to kill the victims. Took knife. Left behind sheath by accident.

You think his defense attorney is going to actually place the defendant IN the house prior to the murders?
If they can put his DNA there it's probably better than having him there during the murders.

All the lawyer has to do is say the guy was at the house for parties in the past and left his knife sheath behind.
I think it is not believable that one of the victims likes to keep a past partygoers knife sheath laying on her bed beside her as she sleeps.
Defendant left behind knife & sheath on a previous date. Real killer found knife/sheath when entering the house and use it to kill the victims. Took knife. Left behind sheath by accident.

You think his defense attorney is going to actually place the defendant IN the house prior to the murders?
If they can put his DNA there it's probably better than having him there during the murders.

Not an attorney but i wouldn't admit my client had been in that house prior. If he had never been inside that house prior, you're just lying. Seems unwise but again, not an attorney.

I mean you have two surviving roommates who can attest to ever seeing him in that house prior. If he had never stepped foot in that house prior to the murders, would a defense attorney lie about it?

Wait, someone thinks it would be a good idea for a defense attorney to place his client at the scene of the crime with the murder weapon?

Bulldozing the house soon.

The idiots going there to make Tiktoks is ghoulish to me. Families lost loved ones and you want to go dance by the house on video? Jesus.
People are just absolutely awful.

Bryan Kohberger refuses to enter a plea today to 4 counts of murder. ( I wonder why?)
Anyway the judge entered a not guilty plea on his behalf. The prosecutor now has 60 days to decide if this is a death penalty case.

Bryan Kohberger refuses to enter a plea today to 4 counts of murder. ( I wonder why?)
Anyway the judge entered a not guilty plea on his behalf. The prosecutor now has 60 days to decide if this is a death penalty case.

I find it curious that Lori Vallow didn't face the death penalty in Idaho. CNN article had a few reasons for it (which are beyond my grasp of understanding from a legal standpoint) but this line in particular seemed noteworthy: The death penalty should be dismissed because of media saturation, multiple discovery violations by the government, Vallow’s mental status and the inability of the state to effectively administer the death penalty should the jury decide to impose it, the defense motion said.

Can't imagine that sort of logic won't be employed here by his defense team.

Bryan Kohberger, the man accused of killing four near the University of Idaho campus, has received more than two dozen 'handwritten' love letters as he awaits trial for the brutal killings.

The accused killer, who is being held without bond at the Latah County Jail, has a horde of female fans smitten by the 29-year-old criminology grad student turned suspected murderer who is awaiting a preliminary hearing trial on June 26.

An employee at the jail, who did not reveal their name, but has frequent contact with the inmate told The Messenger 'it's disturbing.'

'He gets these letters a couple of times a week...they're usually handwritten with hearts and stars...colored envelopes,' he said. 'Everyone in the jail talks about how weird it is.'

It is unclear what these letters exactly say, but it appears that many are confessing their love to Kohberger and believe he is innocent in the brutal slayings, a source told the news outlet.

This is SO bizarre to me. There is a word for this: hybristophilia - deriving from the Greek hybridzein, meaning to perpetuate an outrage against another, has been defined as the phenomenon of an individual being sexually aroused by a criminal offender.

:mellow:

I find it curious that Lori Vallow didn't face the death penalty in Idaho. CNN article had a few reasons for it (which are beyond my grasp of understanding from a legal standpoint) but this line in particular seemed noteworthy: The death penalty should be dismissed because of media saturation, multiple discovery violations by the government, Vallow’s mental status and the inability of the state to effectively administer the death penalty should the jury decide to impose it, the defense motion said.

There's a legitimate argument that Vallow was under the sway of her husband/conspirator and wasn't the driving force behind the murders. I have no idea if that was in fact the case, but it's something that could make jurors, prosecutors and judges take pause. That is not a parallel to Kohberger -- if he is convicted, there will be no doubt as to whose idea the murders were.

There's a legitimate argument that Vallow was under the sway of her husband/conspirator and wasn't the driving force behind the murders. I have no idea if that was in fact the case, but it's something that could make jurors, prosecutors and judges take pause. That is not a parallel to Kohberger -- if he is convicted, there will be no doubt as to whose idea the murders were.

That's a good point. I hadn't considered that.

Users who are viewing this thread