What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DFS and Bots (1 Viewer)

Elliot.Muldoon

Footballguy
Hi,

Before I say anything else I would just like to clarify that this is speculation, not an accusation or allegation or anything of that sort. I don't want to believe any of the following could be possible and would really appreciate if someone could provide info verifying that what I'm imagining is more or less impossible.

So, I was just wondering if there exists anyone online addressing/investigating the issue of DFS sites potentially using bots to fill out their contests and return significant portions of the prize pool to the company. After the Ashley Madison hack and the revelation that they were using rather sophisticated bots to trick men into pouring money into the site to talk to fake women, it occurred to me that there is absolutely no reason at all why FanDuel and DraftKings couldn't do the DFS equivalent with just a handful of algorithms so simple I could probably write them, and I'm not a great programmer. While I don't want to be paranoid, I am not sure how anyone would ever find out if these random inexperienced users winning big prizes and filling out multiplier games were bots, unless they were deeply and meticulously investigating contests as they were happening. Who has time to check all the lineups of 200,000 users from a GPP game during the course of the day to make sure they are not changing in response to what is happening in the games? No one is going to be looking at an opponent's roster unless it's already near the top of the contest, and at that point you have no way of knowing whether its a real human, or a bot that took advantage of already-high-scoring players to set itself up for a good result.The more I think about this the more I feel like I am not entirely comfortable with continuing to throw my money into GPP contests unless there is some proof I'm playing against real humans, and only real humans.

I try not to think about this because I don't want to believe my money is being handled unfairly but the recent Fanduel million contest and its 1st time winner with a hilariously perfect roster has re-ignited my suspicions. I noticed in week 1 that there seems to be a disproportionate amount of successful Fanduel users with usernames that follow exactly the same pattern: generic word then a random number then possibly a few extra letters, and more names follow this pattern than I usually see anywhere else online. Anywhere! I have never seen such homogenous usernames in my life than on Fanduel. It's like someone's distilled idea of what internet usernames are like, but lacking the diversity and personality that real usernames tend to have. Maybe there really are that many boring, samey people out there playing fantasy football, but it doesn't quite pass the smell test that these are also people picking creative, clever rosters that go against the grain, as required for success in GPP. I'd expect someone named jeremiah1974db to go with the crowd. No offense to jeremiah1974db if he/she is a real person...in that case, many kudos and please share your crystal ball.

Of course, having a genericly named person win a GPP would be fine if it happened occasionally...but take a look at your next GPP winner's list sometime (and even the larger 50/50s and multipliers) and look how half or more of the top 10 always follows the "short word or phrase then number" pattern. It feels like the result of a random name generator to me. Real human beings choose at least slightly more diverse names than I see always populating Fanduel win lists.

I really don't want to believe they could be doing this. But it's just so very very easy to do. And it would explain the meteoric rise of the two major players, in a way that I don't think the rake can; the money they're bringing in is just too huge in relation to the number of people who can reasonably be expected to be playing DFS. Now granted, maybe between hearing about the Ashley Madison bot scandal and losing $600 to Mike Zangrilli last year, I'm a bit paranoid, but both of those things involved established, trusted companies cheating and scamming loads of money out of their customers after years and years of good faith, and I can't see any way to be sure Fanduel and DraftKings aren't doing the same thing. I see I am not the only one, as there is already a thread questioning the perfectness of good ol Jeremiah's fluke Travis Benjamin-enhanced roster. But I feel even worse about it than just "it seems suspicious", because as a programmer I can see exactly how it could easily be done. Does anyone have a good counterargument to restore my peace of mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
My only argument against is that FBGs I know around here have won substantial prizes in these gap contests.

That said, I don't see anything preventing fd/dk from setting up a program to fill some of the remaining spots (which they essentially paid for) in a gpp.

My only argument against is that FBGs I know around here have won substantial prizes in these gap contests.

That said, I don't see anything preventing fd/dk from setting up a program to fill some of the remaining spots (which they essentially paid for) in a gpp.
Yeah, I'm certainly not trying to posit that all the contests are rigged or that real people never win big prizes. Merely that the odds could be a lot lower than they are supposed to be, and that the sites could be taking back a lot greater percentage of the entry fee than we have been led to believe. Your point about the sites having paid for the remaining spots is a fascinating one; I had not previously considered that the companies might have an internal reason to feel justified in having (theoretical) bots. But if I were in charge of their budgets I can certainly how someone could feel justified setting up a system where they are not having to give out more prize money than they received in an underjoined GPP. Would you then trust them to keep it fair and make sure the bot entries didn't have an advantage? I know I wouldn't....once you make the choice to deceive the customer even in a small way, it's a slippery slope after that. I'd be curious to study the fine print on Fanduel and DraftKings user agreements to see if there is any verbiage that leaves room for interpretation as to whether all competitors are promised to be real humans.

Bots in DFS are a significantly smaller issue than poker, if they even exist. I mean for all intents and purposes we're all using them ourselves with the daily crusher and value charts. There is no such thing as incremental advantages like in poker that a quick thinking bot can grind either, theres one slate of games we all have hours if not days to contemplate.

And as for if they exist at all I dont really care. Each lineup after the first is less optimal than the one before it. If some guy with deep pocket wants to roster 10,000 lineups in the millionaire maker a week, and still not have even close to all of the possible lineups, then that just means more dead money.

Now if any site ever goes back in after the fact and alters lineups, we got a problem.

jeremiah1974db was interviewed on SiriusXm Fantasy Sports yesterday, and while he is new to DFS, he had some reasoning into every roster selection he made. It might not be the reasoning you or I would have, but it made sense.

The OP is talking about bots, owned by the hosting sites themselves, that are programmed to automatically look around for unfilled contests meeting certain criteria and entering them (presumably to reduce overlays).

Some others here are talking about scripts that individuals (not hosting sites) use to enter or edit a zillion lineups so that they can enter more contests than they'd be able to enter by hand.

Just on a terminological note, I wouldn't refer to the latter programs as bots, but as scripts.

I don't think bots as described by the OP exist. Scripts definitely do.

This is the second thread that has mentioned Benjamin as a red flag. The guy had 3/89/1 week 1, he is the definition of a week 2 low $$ flyer.

I'm fairly new to DFS and probably have no idea what I'm talking about. With that being said, here's my opinion. I would certainly not put it passed DK or FD to do this, but it doesn't seem consistent with what I'm seeing. The Tuesday after Week 1 there was a Super Grand Slam on FD that was way way underfilled - there was going to be a ton of overlay. I received two to three emails that day from FD telling me there was going to be huge overlay and that I should enter. I believe one of them even offered me free entry to other contests if I put in an entry to the Super GS. Why would they do this if they could just fill the contest with bots? Also, the contest only ended up filling to 41,023. I believe the capacity was around 68,000. Again, wouldn't they just fill the remaining 27,000 with bots?

Maybe I don't understand what you're suggesting.

AnchorDrops said:
jeremiah1974db was interviewed on SiriusXm Fantasy Sports yesterday, and while he is new to DFS, he had some reasoning into every roster selection he made. It might not be the reasoning you or I would have, but it made sense.
this

I heard the interview, the guy just loaded up on everything Pitt. Cause he was a n00b and got lucky.

Unless that was actually a bot talking........

bigshooter said:
I'm fairly new to DFS and probably have no idea what I'm talking about. With that being said, here's my opinion. I would certainly not put it passed DK or FD to do this, but it doesn't seem consistent with what I'm seeing. The Tuesday after Week 1 there was a Super Grand Slam on FD that was way way underfilled - there was going to be a ton of overlay. I received two to three emails that day from FD telling me there was going to be huge overlay and that I should enter. I believe one of them even offered me free entry to other contests if I put in an entry to the Super GS. Why would they do this if they could just fill the contest with bots? Also, the contest only ended up filling to 41,023. I believe the capacity was around 68,000. Again, wouldn't they just fill the remaining 27,000 with bots?

How would I get these emails?

bigshooter said:

Sorry, I have no idea. As far as I know, I haven't done anything special to receive them. Maybe it's because I've only been playing there regularly for a couple of months so they still think they are in the customer retention phase?

Edit: Or maybe it's because they know I stink and that I'm not a threat to take down any of their tourneys :)

OP used Ashley Madison as an example...

...a bad example.

Those dating sites tell you when you sign up that there are bot profiles that will talk to you.

People just dont read...and/or dont want to believe it when they sign up.

I havent read any bot disclaimer on a fantasy site.

AnchorDrops said:
I would be curious to see how many different FD and DK winners get interviewed in a given year and whether audio exists of each interview. Presumably FD and DK are giving the media the contact info for these people which means...it would be difficult to prove they're not being paid by FD/DK to follow a conversation script, whether as full-time employees or a more temporary/one-off arrangement. The upside for FD/DK of scripting such a scenaro is obvious...they get to keep most of the prize money, AND the narative of "anyone can join and quickly get rich" spins ever faster suckng up more and more customers.

Jeremiah1974bd, if you're reading this, I am not accusing you of not being who you say you are and 100% props to you for a genius moment! :) I'm just speculating on what would theoretically be possible if I were an evil genius DFS company owner ;)

This is the second thread that has mentioned Benjamin as a red flag. The guy had 3/89/1 week 1, he is the definition of a week 2 low $$ flyer.
My problem was not with Benjamin specifically, I just mentioned him to make it obvious what contest I meant. My red flag was the combination of low ownership players that seemed bizarre, like no one would ever choose them without the benefit of hindsight, but I fully admit that could be confirmation bias at work. Plus lack of my own imagination :)

OP used Ashley Madison as an example...

...a bad example.

Those dating sites tell you when you sign up that there are bot profiles that will talk to you.

People just dont read...and/or dont want to believe it when they sign up.

I havent read any bot disclaimer on a fantasy site.
True...I didn't say it was a perfect analogy ;) There was still deception going on in what AM said about bots, however. They said bots would never send charged messages to customers, and yet analysis of the hack practically proved that was (is?) their main revenue stream, men paying to message bots because they think its a real woman messaging them, then the bot-woman fails to message him back (maybe the man imagines they were taken by another member, maybe they just lost interest) and and so the man feels like a loser and gets increasingly desperate to spend more money in hopes of getting the promised connection with another person . Same way a person who was hoping to win big shortly after joining a DFS site would get increasingly desperate if they lacked self-control.

One could connect that to the idea of a fantasy site honestly telling you that you are playing against X amount of other rosters, but conveniently leaving out that not all of those rosters will be selected by other humans. If it ever come out they could point to their terms of service and say "well we didn't say they WEREN'T bots and how else are we supposed to pay for the GPP?"

I really ought to read the terms of service and see if there is any vague language in there that leaves room for what I am imagining. The post about the email invitations to the overlaid contest was a very good point but I wouldn't mind seeing some more confirmation about this as I also am unfamiliar with this practice. Thanks for all your comments gentlemen and ladies, there's a lot of good stuff here to take into consideration and I know I'm going to be looking at some things more closely with an open mind, not assuming either state of affairs is the true one.

I didn't realize the emails I received were so rare. If anyone wants to PM me their email addresses I'll be happy to forward along the emails I received that day.

Man, my username is a phrase and then a number. I used Crocket Gillmore last week. I'm starting to think I'm a bot based on all these threads here. What do I do?

bigshooter said:

Sorry, I have no idea. As far as I know, I haven't done anything special to receive them. Maybe it's because I've only been playing there regularly for a couple of months so they still think they are in the customer retention phase?

Edit: Or maybe it's because they know I stink and that I'm not a threat to take down any of their tourneys :)
Never heard of such an email, jealous wish I got that

bigshooter said:

Never heard of such an email, jealous wish I got that
For sure

I'd expect someone named jeremiah1974db to go with the crowd. No offense to jeremiah1974db if he/she is a real person...in that case, many kudos and please share your crystal ball.
Do you not understand that the chances of being the winner among hundreds of thousands of people requires an occurrence with an extremely low probability?

I don't think that there is anyone that believes that they can predict the perfect lineup. What are the experts' general accuracy rates? Somewhere in the low 60s.

If you want to be number 1 in a pool, you basically have to take a bunch of lightly-used players who all happen to go off. The people who get the top spot are getting extremely lucky and if that is your expectation or desire, then you should probably change your approach.

What are the experts' general accuracy rates? Somewhere in the low 60s.
Depends on how you measure it. The way FantasyPros measures it, the top guys may be in the low 60s, but they grade on a weird, weighted curve so that the average "expert" is always around 55 no matter how accurate or inaccurate everyone is. It's comparative rather than absolute because only disagreements are graded.

Users who are viewing this thread