What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DFS data leak: employees cheating? (1 Viewer)

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
Not sure how many have seen this. So these guys who run these sites play at other sites and have access to lineup data that regular players don't have. Talk about a huge advantage. One guy who works at DraftKings made $350,000 on Fanduel last week, though he denies any wrongdoing. Wow.

http://www.legalsportsreport.com/4548/draftkings-data-leak-faq/

The leaking of player lineup data at DraftKings has sparked a community-wide conversation spanning employee access to player data, game integrity, and the effectiveness of quasi-self-regulation in the DFS industry.

Below is a collection of what’s known, answers to common questions, and potential implications around the #DKLeak.

DFS Report was first to report on the issue, which was originally noted in a Rotogrinders thread. We are awaiting comment from DraftKings.

Contact us with anything you think should be added. Story will be updated as warranted.

The story, in a nutshellHere are the broad strokes of #DKLeak:

• Last week, a DraftKings employee inadvertently released data regarding DraftKings’ biggest contest — the Millionaire Maker — prior to the start of all the NFL games involved in the contest.
  • The data showed the prevalence of particular players across all submitted lineups for the contest. For instance, in this example, Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman was the most common player selected, appearing in 37 percent of the lineups that were entered.
  • This kind of data is posted regularly, but never until all games in a given contest have started and all lineups are finalized.
  • Access to this kind of data prior to the start of a contest would provide a DFS player with a massive edge over players lacking such data.
  • Employees at DFS operators are not prohibited from playing at other DFS sites. To wit: the person who posted the DraftKings data early — DraftKings written content manager Ethan Haskell — won $350,000 at FanDuel the week of the data leak.
  • There is no indication, evidence, or formal accusation that Haskell’s win is in any way related to his access to data, nor is there proof that Haskell had access to data at a point that would have provided him with an advantage. Haskell and others have denied any wrongdoing. But the mere optics of the situation are driving some of the broader concerns.
  • Players and observers are now raising questions about exactly who inside DFS operators has access to competitively valuable data, what safeguards are in place to prevent abuse, and whether the industry’s self-regulatory approach is sufficient to identify and mitigate these and similar threats.
How does access to ownership data provide an edge?Ownership percentage is one piece of the puzzle that can be useful in skillfully setting DFS lineups, especially in guaranteed prize pool contests. Top players try to predict ownership percentages, and data about past ownership percentages can be dissected for information.

Because of the massive number of entries in the biggest contests at DraftKings and FanDuel — hundreds of thousands — it’s usually difficult to win a contest with a lot of players that are commonly owned. Rostering some players with low ownership percentages and a high upside is a strategy that many players employ.

Ed Miller, an independent games consultant who has written frequently about DFS, says that it’s difficult to overstate the value of lineup data.

“If you knew beforehand which players would be most used, in the major sports you can build +EV (positive expected value) cash game and GPP lineups based almost solely on that knowledge,” Miller told Legal Sports Report.

Why the question of access to insider data is a critical one
There's more to the article in the link above but it won't let me post the whole thing here.

if you're one of the other employees that were content to keep quiet and stack your paper, you probably get together and plot to jump this dude in the parking lot after work, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
if you're one of the other employees that were content to keep quiet and stack your paper, you probably get together and plot to jump this dude in the parking lot after work, right?
I don't think it'll make a difference. How could it be policed anyway? Instead of the actual employee playing they just have their friends play for them.

Looking at ethans latest strings of GPP placings, its hard to believe he wasnt up to something. I mean the guy was placing towards the top on a consistant basis. Not really any bad entries.

Since july he has finished in the top 3 seven times..I am guessing he has the sports almanac from back to the future

I don't think it'll make a difference. How could it be policed anyway? Instead of the actual employee playing they just have their friends play for them.
Same as insider trading where you tell a friend and have him trade on your behalf.

Same as insider trading where you tell a friend and have him trade on your behalf.
Lock them all up.

Who would of thought that with all of that money at stake someone wouldn't be trying to take advantage? Inconceivable!

Whats inconceivable is how theyre choosing to handle the situation. Theyve got a few hundred thousand for tv ads each week, but cant afford a PR firm.

It's also crazy how bad they are trying to cover this up. Rotogrinders is heavily censoring their forum and deleting lots of legitimate posts on this subject.

Only way to stop something like this is to ban any employees from playing on all sites. But of course they have friends and friends of friends they can leak that information to.

Really that data should not be available to anyone.

What about the alternative of making the lineup ownership data available at all times to everyone?

I know it eliminates a little bit of the edge that doing proper research gives, but the alternative seems to be leading to congressional hearings and other bad things.

Looking at ethans latest strings of GPP placings, its hard to believe he wasnt up to something. I mean the guy was placing towards the top on a consistant basis. Not really any bad entries.

Since july he has finished in the top 3 seven times..I am guessing he has the sports almanac from back to the future
No one believes that ownership data from DK gives anyone enough of an advantage to win that often on FD, right?

No one believes that ownership data from DK gives anyone enough of an advantage to win that often on FD, right?
It can't hurt. And it's hard to believe he wouldn't be using the site's data on his own site in some way.

i think it's a pretty big advantage. if you collect enough ownership data from FD and already have the DK info, and you have half a brain, you can likely find some sort of reliable relationship equation between FD ownership and DK ownership. having ownership %s when others don't is a huge edge imo.

What about the alternative of making the lineup ownership data available at all times to everyone?

I know it eliminates a little bit of the edge that doing proper research gives, but the alternative seems to be leading to congressional hearings and other bad things.
You used to be able to see the players on other teams lineups on Thurs night contests on Fanduel. It gave you a good idea of who was going to be highly owned on the weekend and who wasn't. They changed it last year to only show the players currently playing. I am guessing it was because "the pros" did not want their lineups being leaked.

Having the ownership % of all of the high volume +EV players would. That hasn't been alledged yet, but its only a subsection of data we know they are getting so its possible. And in daily sports like MLB, NBA, and NHL the meta data absolutely is an advantage.

i think it's a pretty big advantage. if you collect enough ownership data from FD and already have the DK info, and you have half a brain, you can likely find some sort of reliable relationship equation between FD ownership and DK ownership. having ownership %s when others don't is a huge edge imo.
Sure it's an edge. But it ain't THAT much of an edge (7 top 3 GPPs). He's not raking because he knows everyone is playing Karlos Williams. He's winning b/c he eats and breathes this stuff for a living.

I'm not saying he doesn't have an advantage with that data -- he does. But I don't find it shady at all. Dodds has tons of data I don't have b/c it's his job to have that data. He's got an edge on me. So what? Lots of guys do based on their jobs.

most of his top finishes were in baseball where that information would be huge..Fade the 15% owned top player and play the second guy with just as much potential for 5%. I am guessing it would work just as well in basketball.

Side note, it looks like my posting privileges have been taken away over at RG. No warnings given out or such, but I cant post to any thread. I am guessing their moderator did not like what I posted since people are getting their posts deleted left and right.

Having the percentages at hand AND the sharps LUs is a huge advantage.

Dodds has a lot of awesome data we don't have, but nothing like that, imo.

most of his top finishes were in baseball where that information would be huge..Fade the 15% owned top player and play the second guy with just as much potential for 5%. I am guessing it would work just as well in basketball.

Side note, it looks like my posting privileges have been taken away over at RG. No warnings given out or such, but I cant post to any thread. I am guessing their moderator did not like what I posted since people are getting their posts deleted left and right.
Exactly. I'm sure he was picking "good" players that had a low ownership %. It's not foolproof of course and he won't win every time but it definitely gives him an edge.

Its just disappointing to see a big place like RG try to sweep this under the rug by suspending accounts and deleting posts. I get that they are in bed with DK, but the people following you are what made you and you are alienating them

Fanduel and the rest of DFS industry would be wise to find the solution and fast. It doesn't even matter if it is true, rumors will spread and the longer they let people run with it the more damage it will do.

That's exactly the point and what makes this so frustrating. There could be completely nothing to any of this, but these companies are insisting on just about the dumbest defense they could possibly make.

How do we know that? I don't trust anyone that is pimping DK and FD and has thousands of dollars at stake with those two. Those two are damn sure shady. Hell, condia got caught changing a lineup in NBA last year.

I think the only way they can prevent this is to release owner percentage for all players Thursday night when the game starts.. if everyone has the same data then this type of "insider trading" would be squashed..

:shrug:

I think the only way they can prevent this is to release owner percentage for all players Thursday night when the game starts.. if everyone has the same data then this type of "insider trading" would be squashed..

It's a start but they've been caught changing lineups before.

basicly what I just posted.. didn't mean to steal :mellow:

Haven't seen Proof on this. Lots of accusations.. you have a link? :mellow:

How do we know that? I don't trust anyone that is pimping DK and FD and has thousands of dollars at stake with those two. Those two are damn sure shady. Hell, condia got caught changing a lineup in NBA last year.
. Well unlike some other parts of this there's absolutely no reason to suspect he did.

No, I'm sure they do. But, yahoo isn't a dfs company. If it gets really bad that's the site I'm most confident I can get my money out of quickest.

No, I'm sure they do. But, yahoo isn't a dfs company. If it gets really bad that's the site I'm most confident I can get my money out of quickest.
Don't know their structure but I'd wager a lot of money that the Yahoo daily sports is a different corporation separate from the rest of Yahoo's operation. I can't fathom that there's anything else in that corp but daily.

I'll look into it, but it looks linked on their website. If nothing else corporate let them us their name which is worth more than bad PR

This is very concerning. It will be interesting to see if that happens at any other places that receive large amounts of cash from Fanduel and Draft Kings.

ETA: After skimming the first few pages of the thread over at RG there are plenty of critical comments, it doesn't look like they are censoring posts. What did you post over there?

Haven't seen Proof on this. Lots of accusations.. you have a link? :mellow:
Was all over Rotogrinders last season, who of course deleted everything that night just like they are doing tonight. Hmmm wonder why.

. Well unlike some other parts of this there's absolutely no reason to suspect he did.
That's true. Will be interesting to see if FBG continues to advertise for these guys and focus so much time and money and content to their sites.

Users who are viewing this thread