What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solutions to Islamic terrorism? (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
I didn't want to bog down the other thread- people are trying to get news.

We've been fighting this war for over 3 decades now. Since September 12, 2001, we've committed the whole of our nation's resources to it. We've had all kinds of successes, yet we don't seem to be winning and there is no end in sight.

Any suggestions? Like everyone else I'm frustrated and sick as hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know that there's an answer. I know it's not the current foreign policy by Obama. I don't think the Republican candidates have given many specifics other than criticize Obama.

Close the borders on both ends.
Normally I wouldn't reply to this since I found your comments in the Paris thread to be vile an offensive. However there's a lot of people who agree with you on this point. Personally I believe it would be a disaster for our nation to close either border, and I don't think it would at all be effective in fighting terrorism.

It's getting hard to ignore this threat by ISIS though the way our current foreign policy is. ISIS does need to be destroyed, but does America have the will to go back and take them on?

It's getting hard to ignore this threat by ISIS though the way our current foreign policy is. ISIS does need to be destroyed, but does America have the will to go back and take them on?
How the heck do you 'destroy' what is essentially a group of lone wolf aholes in probably 50 different countries?

you do know the US has dropped thousands and thousands of bombs on ISIS right?

Nothing to see, look away at today's news. News flash to you. Dropping bombs doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Increase military spending and never, never stop searching for these people
So will spending a trillion do it? What a jokeYou can't kill your way out of this problem. It is complex and bumper sticker fixes aren't going to do the trick. There need to be major changes both to Middle Eastern societies and economies before we will see any significant changes.

I would think that infiltrating them with recruits and killing their higher level "officers" along with with a very strong presence wherever they are located. I would like for several other countries to take the lead as well. America cannot be everyone's police force forever.

Tim engages the terrorists in FFA thread spanning hundreds of pages. Terrorists lose interest and finally just go away.

Increase military spending and never, never stop searching for these people
So will spending a trillion do it? What a jokeYou can't kill your way out of this problem. It is complex and bumper sticker fixes aren't going to do the trick. There need to be major changes both to Middle Eastern societies and economies before we will see any significant changes.
Not going after these people is a joke, no matter what the cost have you forgot 911

Oh yeah? You never like anyone's posts, I want you to like that one. ;)
:crickets:

Tim never likes posts, must be some sort of personal policy. I want him to prove he actually has access to the button.
Maybe he's just mad that you didn't give an actual solution?

:sickburn:
I did, you just can't read apparently.

:sickerburn:

:crickets:Tim never likes posts, must be some sort of personal policy. I want him to prove he actually has access to the button.
once you break Tim, it's onto Mr Pickles, right?
I got one from him in the baseball forum a few months back, I was pretty surprised.

Timmy said Islamic terrorism, not ISIS terrorism. Take ISIS out, another group rises. Islam needs some kind of reform. This is about the religion and not the terrorists. Something in that holy book for centuries has inspired these people to commit these atrocities. Something that has not been addressed yet. People will bring up early Christian enslavement/extermination of other ethnicities and other malicious acts. Christians haven't done that kind of crap for 200 years now, the US conquering out to the west coast may have been the end of it, claiming Manifest Destiny (yes you can bring up Hitler, but his beliefs had nothing to do with God). Muslim extremists continue to do this stuff even in the present era. Nobody outside of the Muslim community will be listened to. What the world needs is a prominent Muslim religious leader to speak up for change, not for simple condemnation. That person hasn't stepped forward yet.

:crickets:

Tim never likes posts, must be some sort of personal policy. I want him to prove he actually has access to the button.
He's liked posts before. Here's one where he "like"s the idea that the US should abandon democracy and instead be ruled by an appointed intellectual class of elite liberals.
He's been holding out on us!!!!!

It's always important to remember that as horrible as these events are, they don't compare to conventional war. During one day in World War I, 300,000 soldiers died. During World War II millions died.

Now if they ever get nuclear weapons...

Leave them alone to fight among themselves. Worldwide enforced no fly zones for most of them similar to Iraq in the 90s. Look for dictators you can control from afar like we USED to do and let them govern however they need to do it.

Added to that would be lots of special ops, I would double or triple the amount of special ops we have and trim a few off the other branches, more focus on 20-50 man units you can send in behind enemy lines and let them do a lot of damage from without informing the press constantly and sending out thru social media everything we plan to do, let the bad guys ponder what might be happening instead of hearing about it thru the press and media.

And continue to take out targets quietly that cripple their abilities to expand and function.

We've been fighting this war for over 3 decades now. Since September 12, 2001, we've committed the whole of our nation's resources to it. We've had all kinds of successes, yet we don't seem to be winning and there is no end in sight.

Sorry, clarification needed here - 'over 3 decades'? 9/12/01 to now is 14 years, right?

Or are you dating this roughly to the Beirut barracks bombings?

Leave them alone to fight among themselves. Worldwide enforced no fly zones for most of them similar to Iraq in the 90s. Look for dictators you can control from afar like we USED to do and let them govern however they need to do it.

Added to that would be lots of special ops, I would double or triple the amount of special ops we have and trim a few off the other branches, more focus on 20-50 man units you can send in behind enemy lines and let them do a lot of damage from without informing the press constantly and sending out thru social media everything we plan to do, let the bad guys ponder what might be happening instead of hearing about it thru the press and media.

And continue to take out targets quietly that cripple their abilities to expand and function.
I think we tried this in Vietnam, reads better on paper than application. Plus special forces are... special. There aren't that many and they aren't to be wasted. Plus you win wars by occupying land.

Tim engages the terrorists in FFA thread spanning hundreds of pages. Terrorists lose interest and finally just go away.
......after page 176 all terrorists detonated suicide vest and problem solved.

Also go to a no tolerance policy on any Muslims on our "watch" list or being monitored. First time anything raises concern, send them out for good.

Sorry, clarification needed here - 'over 3 decades'? 9/12/01 to now is 14 years, right?

Yes.

Yes.
Ok, I'll give this a good faith shot.

If you trace it to that - the Lebanese civil war - more specifically it was the PLO's presence. Personally I think our failure to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been at the root of this all along. Solve that, and maybe we can start re-raveling this spiders web of a fishing line which has become completely unspooled.

Normally I wouldn't reply to this since I found your comments in the Paris thread to be vile an offensive. However there's a lot of people who agree with you on this point. Personally I believe it would be a disaster for our nation to close either border, and I don't think it would at all be effective in fighting terrorism.
Immigration to the United States was nearly completely halted from the passage of The Immigration Act of 1924 until the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 over 40 years later. Disaster? Hardly.

Immigration to the United States was nearly completely halted from the passage of The Immigration Act of 1924 until the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 over 40 years later. Disaster? Hardly.
Disagree strongly, but I'd rather not get into an argument about it here. It really has nothing to do with preventing terrorism.

Yes.
Ok, I'll give this a good faith shot.

If you trace it to that - the Lebanese civil war - more specifically it was the PLO's presence. Personally I think our failure to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been at the root of this all along. Solve that, and maybe we can start re-raveling this spiders web of a fishing line which has become completely unspooled.
Maybe. But of course the problem is, the only solution to that problem that would satisfy Muslim extremists is unacceptable to the rest of us.

Disagree strongly, but I'd rather not get into an argument about it here. It really has nothing to do with preventing terrorism.
Keeping people from terrorist sponsoring, radicalized regions of the world from settling inside our borders won't help prevent terrorism? Right.

Are you smoking Indica or Sativa this evening?

Nothing to see, look away at today's news. News flash to you. Dropping bombs doesn't seem to be doing the trick.
The US has invaded two countries and for many years bombed what 4 or 5 more. Maybe its time to get off this crazy treadmill and try a different approach.

The quickest and best solution is more likely to switch from oil to renewable energy. We pretty much leave the corrupt dictators of other regions alone, and they don't sponsor terrorism, for the most part. If we get rid of oil, we can just leave them alone completely.

Users who are viewing this thread