What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shutdown Watch (1 Viewer)

starks

Footballguy
It's never too early, might be a good time to start trading away assets if you feel like they could cost you down the road.

Right now Patriots, Panthers and Cards are at the top of the list. One would think as long as Pats and Panthers are undefeated nothing changes as they will both be chasing history. Arizona on the other hand could be tapping the breaks. How soon should we start worrying about our guys scaling it back?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our trade deadline passed 6 days ago.

Someone mentioned during On The Couch this week they've been guilty of overthinking SOS. I definitely look at Weeks 14-16 a lot but try not to let it dictate my strategy.

To your point about #1 seeds shutting down stars, that's a non-issue for BB & the Pats, right? I don't see Arians or Rivera letting their foot off the peddle.

I think this effects most teams, but not the Patriots even if they lose. I definitely could be wrong on this, just trying to think of them "resting" players and to be honest I can't. I just don't think of BB as the "rest your players" type coach, but again I'm not saying the based on any historical data, I just don't recall it. But for some teams and players it will happen, the worst part about it is them playing a half so you can't really start the backup either. I am just hoping most of the races stay close.

The Patriots are not going to rest their players. It is not in their mindset of how they operate.

All in all, with more divisional games pushed near the last two weeks of the seasons, fewer teams are in a position to apply the brakes these days and it is, overall, a dumb thing to do. It knocks everyone out of their groove and all that other OCD, repetitive stuff that coaches love. The last team dumb enough to do it was the Colts and they went from a Juggernaut to a rusty, wandering team that never recaptured their sharpness and edge.

With all that being said, IF there was one likely playoff team to rest a guy or two, I can see the argument for Arizona. They simply can not lose Carson Palmer. If they do, it's over and they know it so if they were locked into a position and didn't want to risk him a week or two, I can see that.

Ya. I think this is more of a week 17 only thing and even that happens less and less these days. I'm just saying IF anyone shuts down, those are the 2 imo

I'm not worried. I think that these coaches and players know the reality: ####ting a hot player downer week or 2 and then through the bye in the playoffs can make for a really rusty player.

In the playoffs, you get one game at a time. There isn't a series like baseball. One game. You have to be on point. No rust.

Teams that have rested players in the past have been burned by rust in key playoff matchups. Unless someone is hurt they are playing.

I think this effects most teams, but not the Patriots even if they lose. I definitely could be wrong on this, just trying to think of them "resting" players and to be honest I can't. I just don't think of BB as the "rest your players" type coach, but again I'm not saying the based on any historical data, I just don't recall it. But for some teams and players it will happen, the worst part about it is them playing a half so you can't really start the backup either. I am just hoping most of the races stay close.
Last season they did in Week 17 against the Bills - of course that week doesn't matter in most leagues.

I'm beginning to worry about Cam Newton for week 16.... moreso that his GL and overall rushing work will be reduced. Carolina has a two game lead over Arz for #1 seed. It looks like since Arz and Carolina dont play each other this year that the seeding tiebreaker then goes to conference games record... right now Arz has one conference loss.

There is no way that Cam or Palmer will be shut down in Week 16 regardless of what happens.

They would have a whole month off in between week 15 and first playoff game, no way that that would happen. There could be a short leash if either of the teams are dominating but based on schedule that is not very likely (Palmer vs Packers, Cam @ Atl)

I do not play in any week 17 leagues, so I'm not worried about that.

Cam threw for 4 TDs in the first half, so even if they shut him down early he might be worth a start for 2 or 3 quarters.

I'm beginning to worry about Cam Newton for week 16.... moreso that his GL and overall rushing work will be reduced. Carolina has a two game lead over Arz for #1 seed. It looks like since Arz and Carolina dont play each other this year that the seeding tiebreaker then goes to conference games record... right now Arz has one conference loss.
Carolina has completed all of their games against the AFC...so in the event of a tie against Arizona, the Cardinals would be guaranteed the tiebreaker (since all of Carolina's losses would have to be in conference). So essentially, the Panthers really only have a one game lead over them.

How key is it that Carolina keeps winning?
It's important they keep winning ugly.

;)

Apparently the "Worst 11-0 Team Ever" article had them motivated this week. I imagine they've locked up the "Worst 12-0" title & will be aiming to the worst ever 13-0, et al.

They talk about getting JStew rest but he's yet to see a 25th carry. It's not like they're grinding him into the dirt. Three straight at 21 attempts, last eight between 20 and 24.

You think Rivera is anxious to dump a winning formula? For what, to coast into a bye? Didn't work out so great for teams that let off the gas too early in years past.

Anyone think AZ rests some starters week 16 if Carolina is still undefeated? What is Arians history with resting players, if any?

Car plays in the AM and AZ in afternoon, so AZ will know if they have a chance for home field advantage before starting week 16 game.... or is my math off?

How key is it that Carolina keeps winning?
It's important they keep winning ugly.

;)

Apparently the "Worst 11-0 Team Ever" article had them motivated this week. I imagine they've locked up the "Worst 12-0" title & will be aiming to the worst ever 13-0, et al.

They talk about getting JStew rest but he's yet to see a 25th carry. It's not like they're grinding him into the dirt. Three straight at 21 attempts, last eight between 20 and 24.

You think Rivera is anxious to dump a winning formula? For what, to coast into a bye? Didn't work out so great for teams that let off the gas too early in years past.
Agreed. Losing has a way of taking hold. The gap between Carolina and other teams is not as great as it might seem. They are winning on pure determination. That is a good model to win in the playoffs. Not to mention it is a lot of fun to watch. I hope they become the worst undefeated team in history.

The Patriots are not going to rest their players. It is not in their mindset of how they operate.

All in all, with more divisional games pushed near the last two weeks of the seasons, fewer teams are in a position to apply the brakes these days and it is, overall, a dumb thing to do. It knocks everyone out of their groove and all that other OCD, repetitive stuff that coaches love. The last team dumb enough to do it was the Colts and they went from a Juggernaut to a rusty, wandering team that never recaptured their sharpness and edge.
I assume you're talking about 2009, when Indy started 14-0, pulled their starters in the second half of Week 16, and proceeded to lose their next two.

FYI, they went to the Super Bowl that year.

Anyone think AZ rests some starters week 16 if Carolina is still undefeated? What is Arians history with resting players, if any?

Car plays in the AM and AZ in afternoon, so AZ will know if they have a chance for home field advantage before starting week 16 game.... or is my math off?
What is his history? He's been a coach for three years, only gone to the playoffs once as a wildcard, and barely had any healthy starters left by Week 16.

If the Packers defeat Dallas and Oakland in their next 2 games, they will be 10-4 and play the Cardinals week 16.

Arizona will need to win that game to clinch the #2 seed and a first round bye.

Users who are viewing this thread