What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Houston Texans - (3 Viewers)

Deshaun in primetime:  16 TD passes, 1 interception   (edit: Maybe it's 11-1, I thought 11-1 was going into last night but just saw someone else quote it)

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting on updates for JJo and Cunningham. Fuller a likely torn ACL... we can’t ever catch a ####### break.  :kicksrock:

If Fuller is out would they consider a trade for D Thomas?  Or maybe D Jackson out of TB?  He'd be an interesting deep threat like Fuller for Watson.  

If Fuller is out would they consider a trade for D Thomas?  Or maybe D Jackson out of TB?  He'd be an interesting deep threat like Fuller for Watson.  
We have a new GM, so not a lot of track record on how likely he is to trade.  Given where they are at in the standings and personnel, I'd hope they'd be out hunting for someone they can get for a reasonable price though. We are pretty thin on the depth chart. Just Coates and Vyncent Smith behind the three starters, so they'd have to look for someone regardless even if it's a street signing.  Bruce Ellington could be brought back potentially from IR, but not sure his timeline on his injury.

Eights said:
Dez Bryant :scared:
Was actually thinking this myself. He’s available obviously in my league and been wondering if he’s worth a speculative add. Debating if I should do that or if Vyncint Smith or Sammie Coates will have any value. Seen an article where he’s been mentoring Keke and that earlier D Hop was pushing to get him so thinking there could be something there possibly 

IMHO, D-Jax is the ideal solution if they can make the #'s work. With Winston at QB, he's darn near useless for the Bucs, and they easily transition to Evans/Godwin/Humphries, supported by the 2 TE's. Watching Watson bomb out to D-Jax could be a middle-class man's replica of Mahomies to Ty Hill. I'd love to see it.

NFLN - Johnathan Joseph was in a walking boot after the game, sprained ankle but not expected to be serious.

The Texans are scheduled to work out former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Brice Butler, according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.

Butler was cut by the Cowboys after they traded for Oakland Raiders wide receiver Amari Cooper.

The Denver Broncos have traded star wide receiver Demaryius Thomas to the Houston Texans.

The Broncos acquired a fourth-round draft pick and a seventh-round pick from the Texans, who also received a seventh-round pick, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. The two teams play each other this Sunday in Denver.

Thomas is second on the Broncos in receptions (36) and receiving yards (402) and tied for the team lead in receiving touchdowns (three) this season. But his hefty salary-cap figure for 2019 ($17.533 million in what is the last year of his deal) and the emergence of rookie Courtland Sutton as a big-play threat had raised the possibility of Thomas being shipped elsewhere.
Broncos weren't going to pay him next year so basically shipped him for a draft pick since you don't get compensatory if you cut the guy.  I would think we wouldn't have traded a 4th if we didn't think there was some longer term potential with him than just the 1 year, so either they are willing to pay him, or gambling they can get him to sign an extension and get the price down.

I really didn't think Denver would make that move considering we play them this weekend.

The price is ok, especially if we can get him to negotiate a large paycut. Could bring Fuller along slowly next year as he recovers from his ACL tear.

I've been mulling over the trade.  I think it's a decent move since we're so completely empty at receiver if Fuller, Coutee and Ellington are all out, and where we are currently in the division race.  DT doesn't at all fill Fuller's niche, but he does fill the need of being someone else capable who can catch the ball besides Nuk, who can be relied on to be in the right spot which will help Watson's development, etc.

But if this were the offseason and those guys not injured, I would probably be more pessimistic than not about it being for a 4th.  But, I'll give credit that the aggressiveness is a fresh change from the past Texans front office way of doing things.

I've been mulling over the trade.  I think it's a decent move since we're so completely empty at receiver if Fuller, Coutee and Ellington are all out, and where we are currently in the division race.  DT doesn't at all fill Fuller's niche, but he does fill the need of being someone else capable who can catch the ball besides Nuk, who can be relied on to be in the right spot which will help Watson's development, etc.

But if this were the offseason and those guys not injured, I would probably be more pessimistic than not about it being for a 4th.  But, I'll give credit that the aggressiveness is a fresh change from the past Texans front office way of doing things.
Yeah, this was one of the things that reasonated with me to. Nice to actually see them make a calculated but aggressive move for once. The division is looking pretty easy for the taking (knocks wood) so it makes sense to bolster the offense with the defense playing at such a high level (although I am really worried about our corners.) I still don't have any faith in our coaching if we do make the post season, but maybe they'll surprise us.

Also, I found some 10 yard line, visitor side, 5th row tickets for cheap for the game this weekend. Happy to be going to cheer on my Texans while they are up here in my neck of the woods deep in Bronco territory!

Yeah, this was one of the things that reasonated with me to. Nice to actually see them make a calculated but aggressive move for once. The division is looking pretty easy for the taking (knocks wood) so it makes sense to bolster the offense with the defense playing at such a high level (although I am really worried about our corners.) I still don't have any faith in our coaching if we do make the post season, but maybe they'll surprise us.
Cosign.   Far cry from the Rick Smith days.   I would've liked to see them pursue Dez and keep the 4th but I'm glad they actually made a move.   

Cross posting from game thread.

1st half on 1st and 10 not counting 2 minute drill:    8 runs and 6 passes.   3 of the 8 runs were off tackle, 5 middle/guard.

2nd half.  9 out of 10 first-and-ten plays were runs.   3 were off tackle, 6 middle/guard.   Those 9 runs were gains of -2, -1, -1, 1, 2, 2, 4 (neutralized by penalty), 5 and 6 yards.

This was my complaint about the play calling during the 3 game losing streak. When the running game wasn't working BOB wasn't doing much of anything to try to open it up by making LB and safety respect the pass, on 1st down, etc.  And he got very predictable when it was going to be a run.

Though to be fair, O'brien is now 27-1 when leading at the half.  So who knows, maybe he is doing something right there and I should shut up about his second half play calling.

What happened to Thomas in the 2nd half?
Just didn't throw him much, and they ran the ball more.

He did have some issues not being sure where to line up on one play, had to call a timeout. His main contributions were on the first drive.

ETA:  Broncos pass rush was getting some pressure on Watson, too, which may have affected things.

Cross posting from game thread.

1st half on 1st and 10 not counting 2 minute drill:    8 runs and 6 passes.   3 of the 8 runs were off tackle, 5 middle/guard.

2nd half.  9 out of 10 first-and-ten plays were runs.   3 were off tackle, 6 middle/guard.   Those 9 runs were gains of -2, -1, -1, 1, 2, 2, 4 (neutralized by penalty), 5 and 6 yards.

This was my complaint about the play calling during the 3 game losing streak. When the running game wasn't working BOB wasn't doing much of anything to try to open it up by making LB and safety respect the pass, on 1st down, etc.  And he got very predictable when it was going to be a run.

Though to be fair, O'brien is now 27-1 when leading at the half.  So who knows, maybe he is doing something right there and I should shut up about his second half play calling.
Record of Texan's 2018 opponents for the whole season: 53-76-1. The Texans will make the playoffs this year on the strength (or lack there of) of that weak schedule. I then think they are likely to get beaten by the Chargers at home, or, if they get lucky, squeak by the Bengals or Dolphins at home, and get whacked by the Chiefs or Patriots. 

I think the worst possible scenario is happening for the Texans. They are doing enough for Bob McNair not to fire Bill O'Brien. They could easily be 3-5-1 right now if not for Reich going for the win in OT, Garrett Punting on 4th and 1 in OT, and Joseph gift wrapping a win for them yesterday by giving them 3 points at the end of the first half and then settling for a 51 yard FG to try to win the game. 

But hey, you can't win in the playoffs if you do not make the playoffs, right? I really would like to see what this Texans team could do with a really good head coach. If the Ravens decide to move on from John Harbaugh, I would love to see the Texans try to get him.

Just for a frame of reference, the Texans have 4 games against really good QB's this year: Brady, Wentz, and Luck twice. Next year, assuming that the Patriots, Steelers, and Texans win their divisions, the Texans will face at least 9 good QB's: Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Tom Brady, and Andrew Luck at home, Mahomes, Rivers, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Luck on the road. That of course assumes that Brady, Brees or Roethlisberger don't retire. I wish them well with that schedule.

Texans haven't given up a 100 yard rusher this year.  Though 3 teams have broken 100 yards collectively.

Close game.  Good to see they can keep winning the close ones. Not that the Texans are a top team in the league, but it's a thing good teams do.

Mariota left in the first half with an elbow injury. We might face Blaine Gabbert again.

ETA: Mariota just a stinger, should play.

Interesting discussion on the radio today.  Former QB Clint Stoerner and the other host were discussing the Texans very noticeable tendency the last several games to run on so many 1st downs, even seemingly to the detriment of offensive progress.

They weren't doing that so much earlier in the year, and over whatever early stretch the radio hosts were looking at, the Texans were NFL-worst in giving up QB hits.  And by a country mile over the next worst team.

However over the last few games - I forget the exact number they used, five I think, since after the Cowboys game and the Watson injuries - the Texans have turned it around and given up the 4th fewest QB hits.  And then discussed whether that benefit was worth it.

After reflecting, at least in the stretch of when Watson was actively dealing with the injury, maybe my criticism was too strong, not taking that achievement into account while they still won if in closer fashion.  But I wouldn't mind  shifting just a little bit more towards some creative play calling, see if you can get more out of the offense without giving up too many more hits.

Interesting discussion on the radio today.  Former QB Clint Stoerner and the other host were discussing the Texans very noticeable tendency the last several games to run on so many 1st downs, even seemingly to the detriment of offensive progress.

They weren't doing that so much earlier in the year, and over whatever early stretch the radio hosts were looking at, the Texans were NFL-worst in giving up QB hits.  And by a country mile over the next worst team.

However over the last few games - I forget the exact number they used, five I think, since after the Cowboys game and the Watson injuries - the Texans have turned it around and given up the 4th fewest QB hits.  And then discussed whether that benefit was worth it.

After reflecting, at least in the stretch of when Watson was actively dealing with the injury, maybe my criticism was too strong, not taking that achievement into account while they still won if in closer fashion.  But I wouldn't mind  shifting just a little bit more towards some creative play calling, see if you can get more out of the offense without giving up too many more hits.
That’s interesting and I had been thinking along those lines that the conservative approach was to keep Watson’s attempts down after being injured plus after Coutee and then Fuller getting injured they were really limited on the passing game end yet again. I didn’t relate it to the offensive line play though but it makes a lot of sense.

Speaking of, both Fulton and Kelemete are day to day and GTD for Monday nights game. The offense pretty much shut down after they went down against Washington so hopefully they are feeling well enough to play. I thought the Titans would threaten us for the division after they stomped the Pats, but after looking lost against the Colts, who knows what’s going on with them. They still have a stout defense though.

Division may come down to week 14 when we matchup against the Colts again. With the super close games we’ve won, being one of the worst teams in the red zone, and the injuries, I can’t see us winning out even with the easy remaining schedule and the Colts/Titans are only 2 games behind.

The good news: The Texans defense is giving up the 5th fewest points so far and the 8th fewest yards.

Putting it into perspective of the teams they have played. In terms of points scored, their opponents rank 7th, 29th, 22nd, 4th, 23rd, 31st, 28th, 25th, 19th, 27th, and 29th. In terms of offensive yardage, their opponents rank 9th, 30th, 20th, 8th, 25th, 31st, 22nd, 28th, 15th, 27th, and 30th.

So only 2 top ten offensive teams out of 11 opponents. They happen to have the only really good QB's that the Texans have played in Tom Brady and Andrew Luck.

Of their last 5 games, only the Colts have been a top ten offense this year.

Needless to say, I can't say the Texans have a really good defense yet, until they play well against a good offense in the playoffs. 

3 game lead on both the Colts and Titans with 4 games to go.  Magic number of two wins/their losses to win the division, then.

If we do end up tied with either, then we need to have the better division record because we would lose the next tiebreaker to either if it got that far.

D'Onta Foreman activated. CB Natrell Jamerson waived to make room.

Think he's still a good candidate to be inactive though.

Good segment on NFLN's Playbook show.  Shaun O'hara was breaking down some Deshaun Watson plays from early in the season and then some from more recently.  Good examples where when he was first back from injury he wasn't as trusting of the pocket and protection.  Showed some examples where he wasn't really under pressure yet but he started to react to pressure right at the moment receivers were making their break and coming open. He had time to make the throw without being hit but he started dancing when he hadn't really needed to yet.

Then jump ahead to some more recent examples where the pocket situations were very similar to the first set, but he trusted it and kept his eyes downfield and was delivering the ball when the receivers opened up.

Colts, Jets, Eagles & Jags left. NE has Pitt left and KC have the Ravens, Chargers & Seahawks, so in theory we could finish the season 13-3 with possibly a 1st round BYE. How crazy would that be?!?

In reality, I wouldn't be too over confident if I was the Texans brass/players with the Colts, Eagles & Jags. I could see all of those going against us easily if they don't take care of business.

Oof, golden opportunity missed today.  Offense didn't play too well.  If you'd offered me the defense holding the Colts to 24 before the game I'd have taken it, so can't blame them too much.

Need two wins still.  Better yet, win all three and hope the Steelers can beat New England and get us a bye.

The Texans path to the playoffs got another break today as it looks like Wentz will miss this weeks game and may miss the rest of the season with a back injury. If he does miss the Texans game, that means that the number of quality QB's the Texans will face this year has dropped to 3. Luck twice and Brady. Other than that they have faced a pretty unimpressive stable of QB's. Which is why I would not bet on the Texans winning in the playoffs when they have to go against a good quarterback, especially if it is on the road.

New York Jets running back Isaiah Crowell, who aggravated a toe injury last Sunday that left him in "excruciating" pain, was placed on injured reserve Friday, the team announced. His season is over.

On facing top QBs... yes I wouldn't bet the house on the Texans going far in the playoffs.  But, on the positive side, they beat Luck once and lost to him by only three on a day the offense was not clicking at all.  The defense held him well below his average over the last half of the season, only Jacksonville's shutout was better over Indy's last 7 games or so.   And lost to Brady by  a touchdown.  They can give teams with top QBs a run for their money, but can't have an outright sub-par game from one facet like that if they are going to win it.

Yes, the defense can get torched by great QB's. In other news, water is wet, that's the modern NFL rules. All we can hope for is that they can sign/draft some improvements for this still dreadful O'line and the WR's can stay healthy so that Watson can get back to slinging it someday while the defense holds good QBs to less than 30 points.

Not all that surprising the defense struggles against better passing offenses considering we aren't getting anything out of Mercilus anymore. I can see one of those extra 2nd rounders being spent on a pass rushing OLB and letting Whitney walk after 2019. In the Colts game, Watt and Clowney were this.... close to Luck but couldn't get him down, really need a 3rd pass rusher since the corners are suspect. Geriatric JJo and waste of space Kareem, Hilton has always roasted them. It is amazing how he shows up in contract years, but I don't care if the stats say Kareem is having a great year given his inconsistency in the past and his likely price tag.

I am guessing franchise tag for Clowney? The advanced stats say he is having quite a year, but if he wants Mack or Donald money IDK if it's worth it, even with a ton of cap space. Sizable contract extension for Honey Badger I assume. I would assume resigning Kareem as well since they can't quit him. Miller seems to have revitalized himself into staying on the roster another year. Hopefully they wise up and cut Kevin Johnson and save $9M even if our corner depth is dreadful.

Be nice if there was a good corner or lineman available in FA but looking at the early lists, doubt we will get much help there in the offseason. Maybe they can pull off an upset or two come January, go Texans!

The Texans path to the playoffs got another break today as it looks like Wentz will miss this weeks game and may miss the rest of the season with a back injury. If he does miss the Texans game, that means that the number of quality QB's the Texans will face this year has dropped to 3. Luck twice and Brady. Other than that they have faced a pretty unimpressive stable of QB's. Which is why I would not bet on the Texans winning in the playoffs when they have to go against a good quarterback, especially if it is on the road.
Good call there

Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz has a stress fracture in his back, coach Doug Pederson said Friday, an injury that could take about three months to heal.

Interesting bit by John Harris on 610's pregame talk.

Most of the talk about Aaron Colvin I'd seen so far was about whether he's not playing because the Texans have lost faith in him (no defensive snaps against the Colts, but played special teams).  But Harris was saying his ankle injury is giving him problem making cuts, so he's playing on special teams where it's more straight ahead running but not playing in coverage then.

I think without the trade for Demaryius they don't get to where they are.  With the injuries to Coutee and even Carter, just having him as another option has been huge in not letting teams focus fully on DHop.

Hated listening to the announcers in this game. I hope they had some mouthwash ready for them to get that taste of Jets man parts out of their mouths after the game.

I know we've harped on it all season but this secondary is horrendous.  Almost losing to the Jets is not promising.  They made Darnold look like a seasoned vet.  Definitely not looking forward to facing Brady, Rivers, etc in the playoffs   :kicksrock:  

I know we've harped on it all season but this secondary is horrendous.  Almost losing to the Jets is not promising.  They made Darnold look like a seasoned vet.  Definitely not looking forward to facing Brady, Rivers, etc in the playoffs   :kicksrock:  
Anything can happen.  Watson looks to be one of those types of QBs who will win a game on his own..unlike Stafford.

Users who are viewing this thread