What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Houston Texans - (1 Viewer)

Honestly I'd rather see the offensive line built up than worry about wide receivers right now. Green will help, just I think he was taken way ahead of where he'd have likely gone otherwise. 

Would it help to have better receivers to evaluate Mills? Sure. But they can still evaluate him taking into account what his receivers are. But I'd rather build the line first in general, and then plug in the QB and receivers after so they can develop with decent line play in front of them. 

Jameson Williams was an exception in that he might be a top five talent when he's back fully from injury, so getting him at 13 would have been worth it.

If we take one now, it’ll be a project we don’t have the time or hope to wait on. Nick gets a C-/D+ and that’s even if they do pan out. Too many reaches too ingrained in this team’s psyche. Hard to believe I’m hoping for the Jets’ class, but here we are. 

I'm with you.  Seeing what the Jets did with their picks makes our haul look very underwhelming. 

On Mills, I am convinced they aren’t really legitimately giving him a shot. That the plan was to blow everything up and suck to rebuild and this is the start of year 2 of their multi-year sucking plan. You get a couple of building blocks this year in the draft, trot out a later round QB with maybe some upside just in case but most likely gets you another high pick in 2023 when the QB class is much better. One potential shutdown cover corner and a Guard are nice pieces long-term but aren’t going to help you win many more games in 2022. They didn’t plug a single hole in free agency either (although $50+ million in dead cap is hard to work around.)

I think the one thing that people are not factoring in for the Texans, is for the first time since 2013, the OL will not be playing under Bill O'Brien's ridiculously complicated blocking schemes. I think this will make them better instantly. Add in Tunsil hopefully playing the full season, Howard back at his natural tackle position (he was not good in the guard experiment) and drafting a guard to actually play guard (rather than drafting a tackle to fill a spot a guard), and I think this line could be very good if they have a good scheme and if George Warhop is a good oline coach.

Stingley has great talent and has played against great competition both in the SEC and in practice against LSU receivers. As long as he can stay on the field, I think the Texans could have a shut down corner.

So I like the collection of players the Texans drafted. All five players from the first 3 rounds are ones I could see ending up being solid contributors with some star potential.

But it also doesn't feel like it was a good job of maximizing what they had to work either. If they'd traded back ten picks and gotten Green then that would have felt like appropriate value.

And a 3rd and two 4ths, and those being very early picks in their rounds, felt like way too much for where they moved up into the 2nd round. Despite the fact I think Metchie could end up being a really good pick. He could end up being a guy who should have had a 1st round grade, but he has to hit that to be worth what they spent to get him.

Free agent signings

Seth Green - TE - Houston 

Kolby Harvell-Peel - S - Oklahoma State

Jacobi Francis - DB- Memphis

Tristin McCoullum - CB - Sam Houston State

Damion Daniels - DL - Nebraska 

Jake Hansen - LB - Illinois

Kurt Hinish - DL - Notre Dame

So I like the collection of players the Texans drafted. All five players from the first 3 rounds are ones I could see ending up being solid contributors with some star potential.

But it also doesn't feel like it was a good job of maximizing what they had to work either. If they'd traded back ten picks and gotten Green then that would have felt like appropriate value.

And a 3rd and two 4ths, and those being very early picks in their rounds, felt like way too much for where they moved up into the 2nd round. Despite the fact I think Metchie could end up being a really good pick. He could end up being a guy who should have had a 1st round grade, but he has to hit that to be worth what they spent to get him.
I liked day 2 & 3 better than 1 other than the trade up you mentioned. Agree with most of your sentiments, solid pieces but didn't maximize value and I think settled in a few cases when they got sniped with teams trading in front of them for what looks likely to be the guys they had targeted.

Not happy that apparently we have another regime that are so transparent with their targets that other teams are able to trade in front of them and snipe their targeted players. It happened under Rick Smith, it happened under Brian Gaine, it would have likely happened to BOB but he traded all his picks away. Now happening to Caserio. Detroit paid way under cost to move from all the way in the 2nd to in front of the Texans for Jameson. The Saints spent a 3rd & 4th to move 5 spots. The Texans spent 2 4ths to move up from the 3rd for Jameson's teammate in the 2nd, should have been able to move up one or two spots from 13 for that 3rd possibly to secure a WR that profiles much better than Metchie instead.

I liked day 2 & 3 better than 1 other than the trade up you mentioned. Agree with most of your sentiments, solid pieces but didn't maximize value and I think settled in a few cases when they got sniped with teams trading in front of them for what looks likely to be the guys they had targeted.

Not happy that apparently we have another regime that are so transparent with their targets that other teams are able to trade in front of them and snipe their targeted players. It happened under Rick Smith, it happened under Brian Gaine, it would have likely happened to BOB but he traded all his picks away. Now happening to Caserio. Detroit paid way under cost to move from all the way in the 2nd to in front of the Texans for Jameson. The Saints spent a 3rd & 4th to move 5 spots. The Texans spent 2 4ths to move up from the 3rd for Jameson's teammate in the 2nd, should have been able to move up one or two spots from 13 for that 3rd possibly to secure a WR that profiles much better than Metchie instead.

:lmao:  let's try not to mention the B word in here.  I'm doing my best to ignore his stench on the team.  

My biggest concern with this haul is all the injuries.  Are we drafting injury prone players just because they're slotted higher on Caserio's board?  Guess time will tell but I'd hate to see a squad filled with Fullers.  

Bye, bye, bye. The Texans are facing three teams that will be coming off a bye this year, which is the most in the NFL. That's not ideal since teams will be getting extra rest and preparation time prior to playing Houston. On the other end of the spectrum, there are seven teams who will be facing a total of zero opponents coming off a bye: Bills, Lions, Broncos, Buccaneers, Chiefs, Bears, Commanders.

Really sad about Metchie.  Hopefully he'll make a fast recovery and live a healthy life.  

Football wise, just another wasted pick or in this case 3 picks as they gave up quite a ransom to trade up :kicksrock:  

Really sad about Metchie.  Hopefully he'll make a fast recovery and live a healthy life.  

Football wise, just another wasted pick or in this case 3 picks as they gave up quite a ransom to trade up :kicksrock:  
Very sad. It may be a wasted pick for this season, but it sounds like something he can come back from in a year or two, so the Texans may get production out of him down the line.

I still think he’s a good pick. We need to remember the Texans are a multi-year project. It’d be nice to see how he’d fit this year and if it’d help us really know about Mills, but it also likely means overall we’ll be worse with a better pick position next year. 

Imagine next year if we draft high and get Stroud/Young, we hopefully see Jordan progress, we maybe draft our RB1, and we get Metchie back. It’s like a free upgrade at WR next year since we’ll stink overall this year. 

Users who are viewing this thread