What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Houston Texans - (1 Viewer)

Schefter saying the final trade is different than previously reported, Cleveland giving an additional 4th rounder this year, and the pick Houston gives is a 6th in 2024, not a 5th.

Houston gives:

Deshaun Watson
2024 6th

Browns give:

2022 1st (1.13)
2022 4th  (pick #107 overall)
2023 1st
2023 3rd
2024 1st
2024 4th

So Texans currently have 11 picks in the 2022 draft, including 5 in the top 80.

1st #3
1st (Cleveland for Watson) #13 
2nd #37
3rd #68
3rd (New Orleans for Roby) #80
4th (Detroit through Cleveland for Watson) #107  
4th #108
6th #183
6th (GB) #205
6th (Jets through SF for Omenihu) #207   
7th (Dallas for Ankou)  #245

So Texans currently have 11 picks in the 2022 draft, including 5 in the top 80.

1st #3
1st (Cleveland for Watson) #13 
2nd #37
3rd #68
3rd (New Orleans for Roby) #80
4th (Detroit through Cleveland for Watson) #107  
4th #108
6th #183
6th (GB) #205
6th (Jets through SF for Omenihu) #207   
7th (Dallas for Ankou)  #245
If they can hit on half of these and Mills lives up to his potential, the Texans could become really good quick. 

Side note:  Reporter John McClain is retiring.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/john-mcclain/article/McClain-A-time-to-retire-and-give-thanks-for-47-17045254.php

He released this yesterday, so probably not April Fools.
He is retiring from the Houston Chronicle after 47 years with them. He is not retiring from covering NFL football, and he will still be a guest on Houston sports talk radio. As an old guy, John is pretty set in his opinions, but overall he is a good football guy and tells some great stories. I enjoy listening to him.

The closer to the draft we get, the less I like the thought of drafting Travon Walker.  Guys that you didn't peg to go so high when watching tape, who then wow you with combine measurements, but who played with teammates who drew as much or more focus in game planning by the opponent?  That's just a keep away sign for a 1.03 pick to me. I see mocks with Jacksonville taking him, would be fine with them taking that gamble. He'll probably turn out to be the next JJ Watt because I said that.

Still wanting us to take an OT at 1.03 or else trade down.

And for the 1.13, I don't think it's going to happen, but I'd love to see Kyle Hamilton's slow 40 at the combine and even slower at the Pro Day hit his draft stock and have him slide to us. I've seen mocks where he goes anywhere after pick 6 or so, but also seen him fall all the way to us at 13 (though I think it's a long shot).

Thing is, he may have had those bad runs when timed. But his game speed as measured by GPS has hit 21 mph, which is equal to Lamar Jackson's top speed he's ever hit in the NFL. Kalon Barnes who ran a 4.34 at the combine, hit 23mph in game. Hamilton may not be fastest guy in the NFL, but I think he's fast enough and his tape is awesome. I don't think enough teams are going to get dissuaded by the 40 time for him to drop all the way to 13. But boy I'd love him if he was there.

At this point, ideal draft for me would be trade down from 1.03 but I don't see a reason a team would leapfrog the Jets or Giants to get a QB. Anyone wanting to get ahead of Carolina could trade with either of them. Which means anyone coming up would have to be set on some other player and I just don't know who someone would do that for. I guess if someone was set on a particular OT they thought we'd take, but just unlikely to me.

The closer to the draft we get, the less I like the thought of drafting Travon Walker.  Guys that you didn't peg to go so high when watching tape, who then wow you with combine measurements, but who played with teammates who drew as much or more focus in game planning by the opponent?  That's just a keep away sign for a 1.03 pick to me. I see mocks with Jacksonville taking him, would be fine with them taking that gamble. He'll probably turn out to be the next JJ Watt because I said that.

Still wanting us to take an OT at 1.03 or else trade down.

And for the 1.13, I don't think it's going to happen, but I'd love to see Kyle Hamilton's slow 40 at the combine and even slower at the Pro Day hit his draft stock and have him slide to us. I've seen mocks where he goes anywhere after pick 6 or so, but also seen him fall all the way to us at 13 (though I think it's a long shot).

Thing is, he may have had those bad runs when timed. But his game speed as measured by GPS has hit 21 mph, which is equal to Lamar Jackson's top speed he's ever hit in the NFL. Kalon Barnes who ran a 4.34 at the combine, hit 23mph in game. Hamilton may not be fastest guy in the NFL, but I think he's fast enough and his tape is awesome. I don't think enough teams are going to get dissuaded by the 40 time for him to drop all the way to 13. But boy I'd love him if he was there.

At this point, ideal draft for me would be trade down from 1.03 but I don't see a reason a team would leapfrog the Jets or Giants to get a QB. Anyone wanting to get ahead of Carolina could trade with either of them. Which means anyone coming up would have to be set on some other player and I just don't know who someone would do that for. I guess if someone was set on a particular OT they thought we'd take, but just unlikely to me.
Have seen some mocks with Neal at 3 (seems more likely with Jax franchising Cameron Robinson) and then Houston trading up 4 or 5 spots from 13 for Hamilton. That’s a scenario that I would feel comfortable with.

Given Carolina’s situation with no picks after #6 I would be trying to trade up to it for a discount. A 3rd, a 4th and some late pick isn’t worth enough on the trade value chart but why not try?

I'd probably rather trade back than trade up. I mean having extra draft capital is nice, but we have so many needs, it isn't enough to fill them as it is.

Lotta chatter about Cooks possibly being dealt. 
I would trade him if I were them. He's got one year left and we're not likely to do anything this year. We have a TON of cap money next year so are likely spend in free agency. Which means if he plays out his contract and walks, we're likely to have incoming free agents who offset him to where we don't get a compensatory pick.

Speaking of that... we could have been getting a 4th for Reid and two sixes for other players, but we signed 3 qualifying free agents who will offset them, and the best incoming is only worth a 6th in that regard. Not great forethought there, should have at least just signed 2 and gotten the pick for Reid.  We might get a 7th just for what we lost being such higher quality than what we signed, but... big deal, end of the draft 7th.

Anyway back to Cooks. Yeah, if you could get a 2nd for him, I'd take it in a heartbeat and go draft a replacement. It's a risk you get someone who can replace him, but if you manage it you have them for 4 years plus possibly extending. Just makes more sense.

Anyway back to Cooks. Yeah, if you could get a 2nd for him, I'd take it in a heartbeat and go draft a replacement. It's a risk you get someone who can replace him, but if you manage it you have them for 4 years plus possibly extending. Just makes more sense.
Based on what other contract year WRs have gone for, I think a 2 is probably pushing it. He's not in the Adams/Hill league.

Would a 3 be worth it? Or even 2 day 3 picks? Where do you draw the line on Cooks?

I'd probably rather trade back than trade up. I mean having extra draft capital is nice, but we have so many needs, it isn't enough to fill them as it is.
All depends on price, I’d rather have an impact top prospect if it only costs a few late round picks. But I don’t put much value on anything past the 3rd round, even with a team this terrible that needs help even at depth spots, practice squad, and special teams  :lol:

I would deal Cooks as well, but if that’s the case they need to target a WR at 13. Unless they aren’t actually giving Mills a real chance at the QB job long term. He’d have absolutely nothing left to throw to and no running game.

I wouldn’t deal Cooks for less than a 2nd though. Adams brought a 1st & 2nd, Tyreek brought 5 picks. Cooks may not be a super stud but he’s put up over 1K yards on 4 different teams in 6 out of 8 years with a multitude of different offenses and QB’s from HOF’s to complete scrubs. He has nearly as much career yardage as Adams on significantly fewer targets and catches. Obviously a big difference in TD’s as he’s not the redzone threat Adams is.

Edit: Missed the Parker trade yesterday, he still pulled a 3rd and he sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they can't get at least a 2nd for Cooks, I keep him. Even though he will be gone after next season, he does have value for the Texans in that he will help them get a better feel for what kind of QB talent Davis Mills is. If Mills has absolutely no talent around him, it makes it much harder to evaluate what kind of QB he could be. I actually think if the Texans keep Cooks, take a good WR at 13,  have good development of Niko Collins and Brevin Jordan in their 2nd years at WR and TE, and get good production from Marlon Mack, Mills has a decent stable of skill position players around him.

After the O'Brien disaster and finally getting the DeShaun annoyance out of town, this team has potential to be good in a couple of years if they draft and coach wisely.  They are also in a division where they can turn it around fast.  I like HOU a lot more now that DW is gone, given all the picks they got back.

After the O'Brien disaster and finally getting the DeShaun annoyance out of town, this team has potential to be good in a couple of years if they draft and coach wisely.  They are also in a division where they can turn it around fast.  I like HOU a lot more now that DW is gone, given all the picks they got back.
I agree that if Casserio is a good GM, then the Texans can be good sooner than a lot of people think. The Texans were saved from themselves when Flores sued the NFL and the Texans decided that hiring Lovie Smith looked better than hiring the no experience Josh McCown. Lovie is a decent coach. If Casserio drafts well this year and Mills develops into a decent QB, the Texans could be close to a .500 team this year. 

Whitney Mercilus retired.

Speaking of, NFL.com redrafted the 2012 draft. Texans took Mercilus at 1.26. In the redraft, they have the Texans taking... Mercilus at 1.26.

Looks like Cooks is locked in for another 2 years.  

The Houston Texans have agreed to terms on a two-year extension with Cooks through the 2024 season, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Thursday. Cooks, who was approaching the final year of his deal, will make just less than $20 million per season for 2023-24, per Rapoport.

Well, gives Mills and whoever we most likely draft next year at QB a reliable target at least. They certainly have the cap space the next few years.  :shrug:

Last I saw we are projected at like ~$130MM in 2023 and that’s with Tunesil & Howard taking up $50MM between them, can’t imagine they don’t either offload or rework those contracts too.

Buckna said:
Well, gives Mills and whoever we most likely draft next year at QB a reliable target at least. They certainly have the cap space the next few years.  :shrug:

Last I saw we are projected at like ~$130MM in 2023 and that’s with Tunesil & Howard taking up $50MM between them, can’t imagine they don’t either offload or rework those contracts too.
I heard several commentators saying the Texans overpaid for Cooks. Well, the bottom line is his salary over the next 3 years will not prevent them from signing other free agents. So overpaying for him only effects Cal McNair and I think he has enough money to overpay a WR by a couple of million dollars. Cooks will help the Texans evaluate whether Mills will be a good QB. For that, I think it is worth overpaying Cooks.

Travon Walker is dominating the betting odds for going #1 overall.

I really hope that's the case. I do not want the Texans taking him. I just am not comfortable with the amount he produced in college, on a defense that had so many good players that other teams weren't game planning for him specifically. Would love for Jacksonville to take him and then we grab our favorite tackle or Hutchinson.

Travon Walker is dominating the betting odds for going #1 overall.

I really hope that's the case. I do not want the Texans taking him. I just am not comfortable with the amount he produced in college, on a defense that had so many good players that other teams weren't game planning for him specifically. Would love for Jacksonville to take him and then we grab our favorite tackle or Hutchinson.
Agree with this.

With no clear cut #1 OL this year and hearing a few as projects or development concerns, I’m softening on #3 being a DE. I’d still like them to trade down if possible but I doubt they will. 

I really want a WR at 13 so we are investing highly in weapons again. 

I saw a few mocks I’d put together where first text rounds ended up with Walker/Hutchinson/Thibodeaux and then London and then Breece Hall. That would be an exceptional start to me if we pull that off. I really really hope they don’t just lean into the lines since we need so much and they should read the draft as is. 

Hoping for a trade down as well but don’t think it’s likely. I’ve warmed up reading mocks that have us taking Sauce Gardner or a DE at 3 and then best available OT at 13. Cooks is resigned and WR is deep so waiting for one at the top of the 2nd wouldn’t be bad IMO. Have seen mocks with a safety there as well that didn’t sound bad. I don’t think Spiller lasts to the 3rd but have seen a mock with us taking him there. Wouldn’t be a bad consolation prize compared to Breece who I think would be a luxury pick given the state of the roster.

This being the Texans though I have fully prepared myself to be ready to scratch my head and say “who?” or “why?” though  :kicksrock:

Edit: if he lasts, I would like Jameson Williams at 13, plenty of time with this team to let him fully heal and bring him along slowly.

Hoping for a trade down as well but don’t think it’s likely. I’ve warmed up reading mocks that have us taking Sauce Gardner or a DE at 3 and then best available OT at 13. Cooks is resigned and WR is deep so waiting for one at the top of the 2nd wouldn’t be bad IMO. Have seen mocks with a safety there as well that didn’t sound bad. I don’t think Spiller lasts to the 3rd but have seen a mock with us taking him there. Wouldn’t be a bad consolation prize compared to Breece who I think would be a luxury pick given the state of the roster.

This being the Texans though I have fully prepared myself to be ready to scratch my head and say “who?” or “why?” though  :kicksrock:

Edit: if he lasts, I would like Jameson Williams at 13, plenty of time with this team to let him fully heal and bring him along slowly.
Your last point is key. No, please no more projects, but building the team in 2022 like we’re a piece away from contending would be silly. Look for cornerstone pieces for 2023 or 2024 which is why we don’t need to rush positions of need if we need talent injections. 

OL can be found in FA, but look at what the WR market turned into this year. I’d rather they use the cap space next year to sign FA gaps on the lines and get positional weapons in this draft.

With no clear cut #1 OL this year and hearing a few as projects or development concerns
I don't know, seems like Neal and Icky above all the rest. Not a case of a clear cut #1 but a case of a clearcut 1a and 1b. 

While anyone in the first round including top 3 picks can end up not living up to it, offensive tackles probably end up being busts less than other positions. Most of the time you're at least getting a decent player even if he doesn't end up a stud.  DL is a lot worse at being a bust.

This article is a bit dated now, 2009, but takes a look at about 15 years of tackles taken in the top half.

It just seems to me that there's only 3 players I have high confidence in their floor, and that's Hutchinson and the tackles.  I'd much rather get one of them, and assuming it's a tackle then get a pass rusher with the 13th pick. If not a WR or CB or even safety if he falls. Really just BPA there.

Listening to radio today talking about the draft and I wanted to reach through the airwaves and throttle Landry Locker.

They were talking about Jameson Williams and had just the stupidest take. It went something like "Williams was going to be a top five pick before the ACL injury, and there's going to be a run on WR... so why would you wait to take one at 13, why not take Williams with the 3rd pick?"

Yes indeed, why not use the 3rd pick to take a guy that now falls outside of your top five... instead of, you know, using it to take one of your actual top three players?  :rolleyes:

If Williams made it to 13, great, then you found some great value. Taking him at 3 if you don't have him in your top 3 is just moronic.

Would be happy with Williams at 13, fine if he isn't available for awhile. Not like we're Super Bowl contenders. Another guy I'd love to see there is Jermaine Johnson.

Listening to radio today talking about the draft and I wanted to reach through the airwaves and throttle Landry Locker.

They were talking about Jameson Williams and had just the stupidest take. It went something like "Williams was going to be a top five pick before the ACL injury, and there's going to be a run on WR... so why would you wait to take one at 13, why not take Williams with the 3rd pick?"

Yes indeed, why not use the 3rd pick to take a guy that now falls outside of your top five... instead of, you know, using it to take one of your actual top three players?  :rolleyes:

If Williams made it to 13, great, then you found some great value. Taking him at 3 if you don't have him in your top 3 is just moronic.

Would be happy with Williams at 13, fine if he isn't available for awhile. Not like we're Super Bowl contenders. Another guy I'd love to see there is Jermaine Johnson.
Yeah, pretty moronic. I don’t care if there is run, this WR class is loaded with NFL talent so I hope they just go BPA. If that’s a WR when they’re on the clock then great, if not we still have Cooks and who knows, maybe you can trade for someone relatively cheaply since so many want to get traded and give them a massive contract. We have so much cap space next year it’s silly.

Landry is known for his moronic takes. My favorite non football one is that "Coming to America" is one of the 5 greatest movies of all time. I am not even sure if it is in Eddie Murphy's top five movies. I do think his pairing with John Lopez makes him tolerable. They work well together

Landry is known for his moronic takes. My favorite non football one is that "Coming to America" is one of the 5 greatest movies of all time. I am not even sure if it is in Eddie Murphy's top five movies. I do think his pairing with John Lopez makes him tolerable. They work well together
Yeah, Lopez is usually an enjoyable listen. He could use someone better to partner with. 

It's not a horrible stretch for Houston sports radio right now. Don't care for Salisbury but like Seth Payne's show. Matt Thomas is good. ND Kalu is pretty good but was best with Greg Koch. Really enjoy Clint Stoerner & The Show. Still miss Ted Johnson back, he was a good listen.

Am I the only one that every time I see Lovie now that I think of "Black Santa Claus"? Even more so when he is wearing the Texans red as a shirt. 

Yeah, Lopez is usually an enjoyable listen. He could use someone better to partner with. 

It's not a horrible stretch for Houston sports radio right now. Don't care for Salisbury but like Seth Payne's show. Matt Thomas is good. ND Kalu is pretty good but was best with Greg Koch. Really enjoy Clint Stoerner & The Show. Still miss Ted Johnson back, he was a good listen.
Like Sean and Seth a lot. Both are good and they have great chemistry. Clint and Ron are the kings of hyperbole. Everything is either the greatest move ever or a horrible move. Not much in between. I listen to them but more because there is no good alternative.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Houston picks No. 3, but Texans also have been exploring a trade back up for a second top-10 pick, per league sources. If the right player is there, the Texans are trying to position themselves to move their second first-round pick at No. 13 to go get him.

Seth Walder

@SethWalder

Derek Stingley Jr. now even money to go at No. 3.

If we don't get Hutchinson or one of the tackles, Gardner would be the guy I'd be most ok with at #3. Not sure I like Stingley there. Not that I don't think he can end up a good or even great player, just with the injury history I don't think he qualifies for as sure thing as you should be aiming for with the #3 pick.

If we don't get Hutchinson or one of the tackles, Gardner would be the guy I'd be most ok with at #3. Not sure I like Stingley there. Not that I don't think he can end up a good or even great player, just with the injury history I don't think he qualifies for as sure thing as you should be aiming for with the #3 pick.
I am hesitant to go DB that high even though I warmed up on the idea based on a bunch of mocks. Much like JAX at #1, there likely aren't any teams itching to move up that high. So if no trade down, then okay. I think I'd rather go with a DE or OT at 3 and then try to trade up for one of Gardner or Stingley. Gotta figure Carolina would be willing to move down cheaply with no picks in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. A 3rd and another later round pick or two should be close enough based on the draft value charts I looked at. Atlanta looks like another possible trade partner since they are also in a multi-year rebuild.

The only player(s) I want to hear them discussing moving up to get better be a WR that they worry is dropping. The first pick has to be a DL/OL I’m now convinced. Changed my opinion from a few days ago after mocking our slot a lot for fun and each time OL start served us best. 

Im hoping for Ikem at 3 and then one of the top WR at 13. Knowing who our coach is though, picking multiple defenders feels all too likely and an unfortunate reach given where the talent is in this draft. 

Is Stingley, and picking Davis Mills last year, showing Casserio is a guy who favors potential that's not had a chance to be fully proven?

Which, hey, I'm great with for a later pick. Just not #3 overall. There should be just about no questions marks with the third pick.

Not exactly inspiring a lot of confidence early on. If these guys hit then great.

Getting a bit of a Brian Gaine draft day deja vu sense and that’s not a good thing. As Han said… “I got a baaaad feeling about this….”

For the first two picks, I give them a C, and only that high because of picking up the extra 4th and two 5ths. 

Stingley wasn't a horrible pick, but not my preference. But I don't see how Kenyon Green wasn't a reach who went at least a dozen picks too early.

And as you mentioned, Buckna, yet another year we got leapfrogged and a player we wanted taken.

Saw the Patriots reach a full round, maybe round and a half for a guard.

So, Casserio following the New England draft strategy still?

Worst of all, we can’t evaluate anything because we didn’t really improve. So Mills gets no weapons and probably has the worst WR corps in the league in a year where plenty were available. 

If we take one now, it’ll be a project we don’t have the time or hope to wait on. Nick gets a C-/D+ and that’s even if they do pan out. Too many reaches too ingrained in this team’s psyche. Hard to believe I’m hoping for the Jets’ class, but here we are. 

One positive on Green is versatility, lined up all over the interior at A&M. He's also a mauler in the run game. Tytus Howard played passably at RT and much better than his play at guard so perhaps this means they can keep Howard outside with Green plugging the guard spot. I don't like the idea of Howard on his 5th year option cost but if he can settle in at RT (they have moved guys around way too much) maybe a modest extension next year if he plays well settles that spot.

I would have liked Cine at the top of the 2nd at safety. The WR group is depleted IMO so no idea where they go next. There are quite a few edge rushers and corners and LB'ers available, could see something there. Watch them reach on a project Tackle though and then send Howard packing.

Would've preferred Sauce at 3 over Stingley. I'd feel a lot better if they'd have gone that route, but I'm used to disappointment with this franchise. Fine with Green at 15. LAC also took an interior lineman a few picks later so he might not have lasted much longer. The OL has needed a road-grader forever (though I might be biased since my kids went to school with him). He's versatile and will improve that group overall.

Users who are viewing this thread