What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Houston Texans - (1 Viewer)

Not that I watched a ton of Houston football this year, but Culley inherited a bad roster with no QB and actually pulled out some decent wins.  I'm not sure how you justify firing your coach after just one season under these circumstances unless he's some kind of cancer in the building or something like that.  But since Easterby is still there I'm assuming the explanation has something to do with him instead.

Former Miami Dolphins HC-Brian Flores with a 19-14 record over the last 2 Covid Plague Years I might add, being linked or mentioned for a potential Texans coaching job a few times in the media and it also appears he had a strong interest in DeShaun Watson and was pushing for the trade to Miami, one of the reasons the Phins fired him because Ross has hitched his wagon to Tua. 

-I don't think any coach the Houston Texans hire can put the pieces back together with Watson, that ship sailed a long time ago. 

Rappaport:  "The Texans organization decided that despite the team did play hard at the end of the year  that changes were needed on the offensive side of the ball. From what I understand, David Culley did not want to make those changes, did not want to fire offensive coordinator Tim Kelly among other changes.  That led to the philosophical differences that ended up sending Culley out the door, after letting him tell his assistants that he'd been fired."

Not that I watched a ton of Houston football this year, but Culley inherited a bad roster with no QB and actually pulled out some decent wins.  I'm not sure how you justify firing your coach after just one season under these circumstances unless he's some kind of cancer in the building or something like that.  But since Easterby is still there I'm assuming the explanation has something to do with him instead.

Agree that the Texans had a bad roster this year, and the Texans were going to be a losing team no matter what. But, while the performance on the field was bad, his performance at Press conferences was worse:

• Preseason quote: "if we have to go 3 and out, and punt, we are good with that". The Texans went on to lead the league in 3 and outs
  • Asked after the season (and before he was fired) whether he would bring back OC Tim Kelly: "100% I would". The Texans offense was ranked last in the league this year.
  • Asked after the season which coaches he would bring back: "All of them. I would bring back all of them. We just have to do better"
That's just a snippet of his answers during the season that really showed he did not know what was going on.

As to the Texans pulling out "some decent wins":

• Two of the wins were against Jacksonville, the worst team in the league. The first was Rookie Trevor Lawrence's first start in the NFL, and the second, was the first game under their interim coach after Urban Meyer was fired. If there was a bigger train wreck in the NFL than the Texans, it would have to be the Jaguars.
  • One win was against Tennessee, who were without Henry, Brown, and Jones, their 3 biggest weapons, in a torrential downpour. The Titans turned the ball over 5 times.
  • I would say that the win over the Chargers was their one "decent win". 
The Texans had the 3rd worst point differential in the league. Only the Jaguars and Jets were worse. The Jets beat the Texans. 

If you live in Houston, like I do, you could see on a daily basis that Culley was in over his head as a head coach. He never should have been hired, but I think he was because nobody the Texans wanted to be head coach wanted to take the job heading into the 2021 season. The team was coming off a 4-12 season, they did not have a draft pick until the 3rd round, they were in bad salary cap shape, Their star QB wanted to be traded (The sex lawsuits did not come out until March), and SI had done a couple scathing articles about Jack Easterby and the chaos he caused within the organization. So the Texans hired Culley, probably knowing that he was not the right guy for the job, but they had to hire someone.

“ESPN's Adam Schefter says the Texans only guaranteed two years of HC David Culley's deal when they hired him last year, an omen of their decision Thursday to fire him after just one year. Aaron Wilson adds Culley's remaining guaranteed salary was just $4 million, the lowest of any head coach in the league.”

Thanks.  That makes more sense from a GM perspective.

Dude was a baffoon, looks clueless tbh. Davis Mills is the reason they went 4-12, along with a surprisngly decent defense at times, and producers at WRs that sometimes are no-names 

The most predictable lamest duck coach of all time. Teams need to stop hiring over 60 year old fossils for the younger mans game, unless the coaches are like Belichick who never make it to market. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude was a baffoon, looks clueless tbh. Davis Mills is the reason they went 4-12, along with a surprisngly decent defense at times, and producers at WRs that sometimes are no-names 

The most predictable lamest duck coach of all time. Teams need to stop hiring over 60 year old fossils for the younger mans game, unless the coaches are like Belichick who never make it to market. 
Like I said above, I think they hired him because nobody who they wanted to hire were willing to take the job based on the situation the Texans were in. And if you can't hire who you want, hire someone who will be easy to fire after one year. Enter David Culley.

On Culley I am not sure it matters either way, he was a placeholder clearly never ready (or even previously considered) for a HC gig in a lost year with zero power to challenge Easterby which is why they hired him.

Honestly I think this signals they think they will be able to move Watson finally in trade (at least I hope so since the bridges are already burned most likely.) The braintrust running the team can start fresh with someone they actually want coaching the team who will have input on the roster construction (since it’s mostly a bare cupboard now.) Whether that works out for them, we’ll see, after seeing this team operate the last few years I am not optimistic but hopefully I am wrong.

I think along with him being viewed as a placeholder for a year, he was also one that Deshaun Watson was said to view favorably. If you're already not going to get a coach you want, then you might as well take a shot on healing that rift with your choice. Even if you don't think it's going to work, what do you have to lose.

Like I said above, I think they hired him because nobody who they wanted to hire were willing to take the job based on the situation the Texans were in. And if you can't hire who you want, hire someone who will be easy to fire after one year. Enter David Culley.
Here's the thing... What makes this off season any different than the last one in terms of what the Texans can offer a coach?  A full compliment of picks isn't going to fix this team, and no fa is going to want to go there.  That's why Mayo is getting serious buzz, he's another guy who shouldn't be a hc but where else would he get the chance?

Also, since nobody's brought it up yet, Hines Ward what?

Avoiding the “who would want the job” side momentarily, who do my fellow Texans fans want as your top choices?

I wish Houston would move on from its New England fascination, but I assume this might boil down to Flores, McDaniels, and Mayo. Of those choices, I favor Flores > Mayo > McDaniels. 

I don’t know enough about other teams’ coordinators to comment, but also hard to not see the successes of the young upstart OC getting shots (McVay, LaFleur, Taylor). Mayo intrigues me, but I’m curious if there are any in-kind OCs worth interviewing as well. 

Here's the thing... What makes this off season any different than the last one in terms of what the Texans can offer a coach?  A full compliment of picks isn't going to fix this team, and no fa is going to want to go there.  That's why Mayo is getting serious buzz, he's another guy who shouldn't be a hc but where else would he get the chance?

Also, since nobody's brought it up yet, Hines Ward what?
I’d argue it’s a lot cleaner of a slate this off-season. The Texans shed contracts like Roby, Mercilus, McKinney, and others. They also had the worst of both worlds, having no Watson and no top picks all while trading those picks to protect Watson. 

Mills may or may not be the answer and a new coach will have a decent enough 2nd year QB on his rookie deal in a QB desert draft. Houston will almost surely trade Watson finally, so a new coach has much more ability with Caserio to rebuild from the ground up. If Mills falls flat, you just move on without that first round pressure to keep trying (hi Sam Darnold). 

This year I hope the Texans’ draft is all about cornerstone pieces and setup pieces for 2023. We need difference makers on both sides. If Mills isn’t it, I’m concerned we wouldn’t be high enough/bad enough to draft a player like Bryce Young or maybe CJ Stroud, but we’ll cross that bridge in 2023. 

Avoiding the “who would want the job” side momentarily, who do my fellow Texans fans want as your top choices?

I wish Houston would move on from its New England fascination, but I assume this might boil down to Flores, McDaniels, and Mayo. Of those choices, I favor Flores > Mayo > McDaniels. 

I don’t know enough about other teams’ coordinators to comment, but also hard to not see the successes of the young upstart OC getting shots (McVay, LaFleur, Taylor). Mayo intrigues me, but I’m curious if there are any in-kind OCs worth interviewing as well. 
I don't even know to be honest.  I'd agree about stop trying to find Mini-Belichick and just look for a good coach. Also with your list in having McDaniels at the bottom. Maybe he's learned along the way, but I didn't think he was good in Denver, and then what happened with Indy makes me feel like he's a guy I don't want running my team. 

If Lovie is going to stick around, which I hope is the case, then I'd probably prefer to go with an offensive minded coach. 

I don't even know to be honest.  I'd agree about stop trying to find Mini-Belichick and just look for a good coach. Also with your list in having McDaniels at the bottom. Maybe he's learned along the way, but I didn't think he was good in Denver, and then what happened with Indy makes me feel like he's a guy I don't want running my team. 

If Lovie is going to stick around, which I hope is the case, then I'd probably prefer to go with an offensive minded coach. 
Going through the list to eyeball possible coordinators, I personally am not a fan of Kellen Moore. Brian Daboll and Eric Bienemy stick out as clear phone calls we should make and interviews we should schedule. If we want to chase a coaching tree, McVay's is starting to show promise, so maybe speaking to the Rams' OC (Kevin O'Connell) should happen as well. Brian Callahan is probably a few years away, but he's a name behind the Bengals' success along with Taylor.

Interesting to see some of the names linked to the team thus far. I'm also seeing a lot of non-Texans fans presuming this is the same team as it was last offseason. I do feel like Caserio deserves some credit for the roster management moves thus far and while many can't yet see a lot of that clearly, I think he's done an excellent job to try to take step 1 in repositioning things. We've shed a lot of contracts, Watson is likely soon to be traded, and the players who were here this year were all on short deals so-as not to future burden the cap.

I like seeing Kevin O'Connell on the list of interviewees beyond the expected New England crew and I hope it means we're giving more than lip service to non-NE commodities. Now that I've read up a little more on some of the other coordinators, I'd love to see us take a run at Mike McDaniel like I've seen the Dolphins do lately. I love what San Fran has been doing on offense in recent years and feels like that system would fit well in Houston and McDaniel was an Offensive Assistant when Shanahan was in Houston as OC back in the day too.

Interviewed Josh McCown again. I had previously said I could see Culley being viewed as a placeholder while McCown got experience. But then he wasn't on the coaching staff so I kind of discarded that line of thinking.

I kind of agree Casserio hasn't done a horrible job with the roster, given what he started with and what he had in cap room and draft picks so far.

Different topic... was lamenting the other day the lack of top QB prospects that might let us trade down from the 3rd overall pick. Though then I considered it from a different angle. The lack of great options this year might increase the interest in Watson.

I am concerned though that the lawsuits are not going to be resolved by the draft and they are going to have trouble trading him again. I hope sticking to their guns is going to end up netting a good draft pick haul. But if I had to stake my life savings, I'm not quite sure I'd bet that will be the outcome. Over hitting a point they realize they need to move on if just to not be paying upwards of $30 mil to an inactive player. 

Interviewed Josh McCown again. I had previously said I could see Culley being viewed as a placeholder while McCown got experience. But then he wasn't on the coaching staff so I kind of discarded that line of thinking.

I kind of agree Casserio hasn't done a horrible job with the roster, given what he started with and what he had in cap room and draft picks so far.

Different topic... was lamenting the other day the lack of top QB prospects that might let us trade down from the 3rd overall pick. Though then I considered it from a different angle. The lack of great options this year might increase the interest in Watson.

I am concerned though that the lawsuits are not going to be resolved by the draft and they are going to have trouble trading him again. I hope sticking to their guns is going to end up netting a good draft pick haul. But if I had to stake my life savings, I'm not quite sure I'd bet that will be the outcome. Over hitting a point they realize they need to move on if just to not be paying upwards of $30 mil to an inactive player. 
Agreed. One thing I'd like to see a lot of in this draft is BPA. Since Mills is at least serviceable and there are no top tier QBs, we just need to BPA the heck out of this draft with a look towards 2023.

Yes, we don't know that we have our franchise QB in Mills, but we need to start acquiring young weapons like we did the year we got Andre Johnson. We cannot solely be defense focused as both sides of the ball need a lot of work. 

Next year I think we need to plan as if we'll need a QB, but I wouldn't hate acquiring a lot of the Watson resources this year to fill the cupboard with every other position and either get us a high pick for 2023 via Watson and/or acquire the assets to enable us to go up in 2023 if we like Bryce Young or CJ Stroud or someone else is that next franchise guy if Mills doesn't work out.

So local sports radio is an interesting listen right now.  One show is pretty much convinced the second Josh McCown interview amounts to contract negotiations and they are expecting to get an announcement anytime today or in the next day or two that he's going to be the head coach.

The other major AM station was breaking down the latest Deshaun Watson stuff, about a woman who was part of arranging massages for him pleading the Fifth Amendment against self-incrimination during her deposition.  They had an analyst on, though I didn't catch who he was, who was ripping Deshaun over the implications pretty bad.

The McCown business reeks of small-mindedness if reports are true. McCown might turn into a fine coach one day or with some team, but the odd part is the public perception angle if rumors are to be believed. They want to hire him, but have concern no one else wants him and think it'll make them look bad?

No, not every team gets it right clearly. There's also a reason, at times, why there are a lot of candidates that interest everyone. Could McCown possibly be a swing for the fences homerun hire? Sure. But with these guys, it worries me that they'd pass over a more qualified coach with a higher likelihood at succeeding for that possibility when they haven't shown they can hit a single let alone a homerun.

If we're going young or unproven, I far prefer we take a chance on Mike McDaniel or Kevin O'Connell as they've had coordinator level experience and success in the NFL; ready to take the next progressive step. If we want a more proven former head coach, call Jim Caldwell and Brian Flores. I think McCown shouldn't deserve consideration over any of those guys unless no one else will take your calls (which is an even bigger problem).

So with the Bengals headed to the super bowl, we use this against the front office to make them accountable in 2 years if we’re not in, right?!

The McCown business reeks of small-mindedness if reports are true. McCown might turn into a fine coach one day or with some team, but the odd part is the public perception angle if rumors are to be believed. They want to hire him, but have concern no one else wants him and think it'll make them look bad?

No, not every team gets it right clearly. There's also a reason, at times, why there are a lot of candidates that interest everyone. Could McCown possibly be a swing for the fences homerun hire? Sure. But with these guys, it worries me that they'd pass over a more qualified coach with a higher likelihood at succeeding for that possibility when they haven't shown they can hit a single let alone a homerun.

If we're going young or unproven, I far prefer we take a chance on Mike McDaniel or Kevin O'Connell as they've had coordinator level experience and success in the NFL; ready to take the next progressive step. If we want a more proven former head coach, call Jim Caldwell and Brian Flores. I think McCown shouldn't deserve consideration over any of those guys unless no one else will take your calls (which is an even bigger problem).

I'm with you.  Seems like all you need to do to qualify for a job in the Texans organization is join a Christian fellowship and buddy up with Easterby.

As for the Bengals, the Texans have had 20 years and haven't even made it out of the Divisional round.  Took them close to 10 years to even make the playoffs as an expansion team.  I don't see much changing for the better under Cal.  This whole organization is a giant WTF   :kicksrock:

With Harbaugh supposedly staying at Michigan, it sounds like Kevin O’Connell might be the Vikings’ choice. Flores is a good coach, but I’d bet they’re scared of him now. 

The silence worries me as others are making their moves. It makes me nervous about the McCown noise. I really hope even they aren’t this dumb. Call Mike McDaniel as he’s now out of the playoffs. 

Jayded said:
With Harbaugh supposedly staying at Michigan, it sounds like Kevin O’Connell might be the Vikings’ choice. Flores is a good coach, but I’d bet they’re scared of him now. 

The silence worries me as others are making their moves. It makes me nervous about the McCown noise. I really hope even they aren’t this dumb. Call Mike McDaniel as he’s now out of the playoffs. 
They should be calling bienemy and leftwich. 

They should be calling bienemy and leftwich. 
I’d be shocked if Leftwich doesn’t go to Jacksonville, otherwise agree. Bienemy is interesting both because they interviewed last year. Thus far he’s 0/11 in interviews so I’m really curious between Flores accusations and his ability to interview what is going on with EB. 

Of the names connected to the Texans, I liked KOC best of those with an interview so far (if you ignore Flores right this moment). I wish they’d call McDaniel and Jim Caldwell as well, but the silence is deafening especially with some of the names we interviewed signing elsewhere. 

I’d be shocked if Leftwich doesn’t go to Jacksonville, otherwise agree. Born emu is interesting both because they interviewed last year. Thus far he’s 0/11 in interviews so I’m really curious between Flores accusations and his ability to interview what is going on with EB. 

Of the names connected to the Texans, I liked KOC best of those with an interview so far (if you ignore Flores right this moment). I wish they’d call McDaniel and Jim Caldwell as well, but the silence is deafening especially with some of the names we interviewed signing elsewhere. 
Leftwich seems perfect for Jax, but you never know if they want to hit on defense or question if BL was really running that show. 
It won’t happen but how great would it be for them if they hired BL and he got Tom to help Trevor in some capacity?

I want Bill O'Brien to land in Jacksonville. Maybe he'll trade us Trevor for peanuts as a reversal of karma for what he did to this franchise. Tell him what...we'll even send him David Johnson to sweeten up that deal  :thumbup:

Jacksonville hired Doug Pederson. 

Radio today was expecting it, after they made the GM switch.  Also were discussing if McCown would rather go be OC in Jacksonville for Trevor Lawrence than be a head coach in Houston.

I’d be shocked if Leftwich doesn’t go to Jacksonville, otherwise agree. Bienemy is interesting both because they interviewed last year. Thus far he’s 0/11 in interviews so I’m really curious between Flores accusations and his ability to interview what is going on with EB. 

🤷 Byron to the courtesy phone, Texans are calling?

🤷 Byron to the courtesy phone, Texans are calling?
I'd be all for it. I'm not sure he would though :(  

My fear is the Texans front office is so toxic, that even if we have plenty of good candidates, that they won't want us. We'll end up with the 5th best coach we could have had because of Easterby/Cal.

The fact that McCown is in supposedly "serious" contention for the head coaching position is just beyond the pale ridiculous.  :yucky:

Maybe he ends up being a great coach someday, but the man has zero experience coaching right now. That they would consider him for the head job is beyond asinine.

Buckna said:
The fact that McCown is in supposedly "serious" contention for the head coaching position is just beyond the pale ridiculous.  :yucky:

Maybe he ends up being a great coach someday, but the man has zero experience coaching right now. That they would consider him for the head job is beyond asinine.
Rumors yesterday were swirling that we are close to a coach but it isn't him. However, it appears they're trying to find a coach who'll put him on the staff (i.e. You can be our coach if you take him too).

That isn't exactly ideal to force on a new coach by any means, but if it means they've at least dropped him being the guy, I feel a tad bit better. Question is if the pick the right head guy because they are attempting to foist McCown on that coach.

I'm still surprised they haven't called Mike McDaniel. Also, if they want a young defensive coach, why not talk to your former player who had great success this year in DeMeco Ryans?

I'll post this here since my Flores thread got doomed to the hellhole of the Politics forum

@RossTuckerNFL: Texans head coaching finalists are a guy who has never coached in college or the NFL & a guy who is currently suing the NFL.

I know and genuinely like both Josh & Brian, just kind of amazing when you think about all of the potential candidates and it's down to those two.

JaxBill said:
I'll post this here since my Flores thread got doomed to the hellhole of the Politics forum

@RossTuckerNFL: Texans head coaching finalists are a guy who has never coached in college or the NFL & a guy who is currently suing the NFL.

I know and genuinely like both Josh & Brian, just kind of amazing when you think about all of the potential candidates and it's down to those two.
Incredible. 

Still better names than 2/3 of the guys Jacksonville was alleged to be interviewing? 

Incredible. 

Still better names than 2/3 of the guys Jacksonville was alleged to be interviewing? 
maybe half.

I wasn't happy with BOB or Bisaccia.

Supposedly they were looking at Eberflus and OConnell but couldn't interview them. 

Wanted Leftwich but they somehow backed into a decent choice.

Wanted Leftwich but they somehow backed into a decent choice.
I have no HOU rooting interest, but if Leftwich signed & ousted Baalke, I woulda been pulling for him. He’s a good dude. I always thought he could have been more as a QB, and have been rooting for him as a coach. Pederson is a pretty decent hire, but it kinda sucks we won’t get to see Leftwich as a HC this year. Pederson maybe better for a young QB though.  

The Houston Texans are now in talks with their associate head coach and defensive coordinator Lovie Smith about potentially becoming their next head coach, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter and Field Yates on Sunday.

The Texans have included Smith in their discussions all along, but his candidacy has gained steam in recent days, a source said.

Josh McCown will not be the Texans' next head coach, and if Smith is hired, their offensive coordinator is expected to be current quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator Pep Hamilton, not McCown, a source told ESPN's Sarah Barshop.

I can't help but feel like they painted themselves in a corner.  The negative publicity on Culley's firing, particularly after the Flores lawsuit came out.  Flores and two white guys as their remaining candidates, and Flores now with so much baggage it's hard to hire him.  A lot of negative comments about hiring McCown with no coaching experience.

Lovie has the benefits of being a legitimate candidate, with coaching experience, and had a pretty decent year given the defensive roster he had to work with.  Felt like a lot of times the defense had them in the game but the offense not moving eventually they got snowed under later in the game. And hiring Lovie would defuse some of the racial aspect as far as the Texans go.

Seems like a very safe pick if your focus is on quelling the criticisms.

Can we all agree if Lovie Smith gets hired it's 100% the NFL telling the Texans they need to hire a black man for the job?

Can we all agree if Lovie Smith gets hired it's 100% the NFL telling the Texans they need to hire a black man for the job?
Does Lovie's race have a lot to do with it if he's hired?   Most likely.

But from the Texans standpoint, I think they could easily see it as addressing the negativity around both their own, team-specific actions in the race situation, as well as avoiding the negativity of hiring Josh McCown without experience.

It wouldn't take the NFL telling them to do anything, no.  They are capable of making the move on their own, including with the thought it would buy them some cred among owners for doing something that would benefit the league's appearance as a whole.

I'm also not ruling out the NFL pressured the Texans, the Dolphins, and/or any other team to hire minority coaches. Dolphins did too.  Just I don't think it is the only reason the Texans would make this move.

Everyone should be completely honest about the texans. The head coach does not matter, they are a dumpster fire and will be one of the worst teams in the league even with a great coach.

Might as well hire Lovie and let him get 2 losing seasons and then move onto a different coach.

I think its more the league telling the Texans that absolutely no way can they hire an inexperienced McCown over a black man and with Flores suing the league, Smith was a perfect candidate to meet that criteria. 

What I can't get over is reconciling what the Texans have said with what they are doing. Caserio said this weekend he's looking for the next Mike Tomlin. I read that as he wants a young guy who just needs an opportunity and could be here for years and years and be given enough time to establish a new culture around the team.

That isn't Lovie Smith by definition. That IS a Josh McCown type minus any modicum of experience. Guys "just needing the opportunity" that are young and under-interviewed/appreciated right now seems to me to be Leftwich and Bienemy ; neither of which has sniffed an interview.

I now would be surprised to see anyone but Lovie given the choices and scenarios. They cannot hire McCown. The other owners are almost surely going to try to prevent them from Flores if they haven't already. They told Gannon no already, even though he seems the most apt to fit the above profile of the purported final candidates.

Before they panic and hire Lovie, I wish they would realize the scenario they are in as one of the final jobs and conduct a legitimate search with all of the above hungry types still awaiting their shot as I think they'd figure out they had far more viable options than they appear to be reacting to right now.

I think I'm notoriously bad at identifying good coaching hires in advance. Just don't know enough about the role coordinators actually have within their own organizations to know where to give credit, etc. Like I don't know how much credit to give an OC coaching under an offensive coach. I'd probably much rather look to a team with a coordinator that headed a successful unit while the head coach focused on the other side of the ball.

So I really don't know where they should look, to be honest. It sounds like a lot of people, not just Easterly, like McCown's potential. I just wish they'd gotten him in as a position coach or coordinator previously.  He might find he doesn't even like being a coach, it's just a lot to put on a guy who hasn't done it before. Vrabel wasn't a particularly good DC the one year he had before getting a head coaching gig, though he'd been a position coach for awhile before. I think those experiences you want people to get before you hand them the keys to the franchise. 

Any I'm still suffering from emotional detachment after last season. Would be nice if they don't blow it, but I kind of assume they will.

Users who are viewing this thread