What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reinventing Yourself After 50 (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
Just wondering if people have reinvented themselves after 50 years old.  As I think about the back 9, i wonder about retiring and what I will do in that time.  Wondering if maybe I should take up a software skill and support and work part time.  Looking for other thoughts.

Not yet. I just turned 50 a couple months ago. I plan to work another five years or so and maybe go back to school. I have noticed that I'm in a little more of a "me" mode than I used to be. I have decided to make health and fitness my number one priority, even a little ahead of work. So I roll into the office at about 9:30 now to account for a good night's sleep and a good morning workout.

So nothing big yet, but I'm working on it.

I think about reinventing myself constantly (not 50, but just how I think). It usually happens slowly, but getting there on a lot of things. 

I like the idea.  Waiting for the inspiration to hit me.  

I am enjoying doing nothing but reading, internet surfing, FFL, listening to podcasts, staying up late/sleeping late and more napping.  In fact, when I have to do something - doctor appointment, etc. I get edgy know I have to be somewhere at a specific time.  I do pick up my daughter from school every day.

Right now, I'm working on getting motivated to play more golf.  No ####.  Missed my 10:30 - 11am game today because I didn't get up in time (fyi ...didn't ruin a foresome, its a group of 20-25 guys - whoever shows up plays).  

I like the idea.  Waiting for the inspiration to hit me.  

I am enjoying doing nothing but reading, internet surfing, FFL, listening to podcasts, staying up late/sleeping late and more napping.  In fact, when I have to do something - doctor appointment, etc. I get edgy know I have to be somewhere at a specific time.  I do pick up my daughter from school every day.

Right now, I'm working on getting motivated to play more golf.  No ####.  Missed my 10:30 - 11am game today because I didn't get up in time (fyi ...didn't ruin a foresome, its a group of 20-25 guys - whoever shows up plays).  
Not genius level advice here or anything, but you should consider either getting a part time job or some kind of daily activity/schedule. The routine is good. Maybe is a run at the gym, hike in a local park, volunteer at the library, etc. Having a regular schedule and getting up, showered and out amongst people is important. If I don't do those things, I can fall into a funk pretty quickly. 

Will be 54 this year and would like to retire by 58.  I could do so without a supplemental income but funds would be tight.  Thinking about something I can do for like 30-35 hours a week and make a good salary - which pushes me to a tech field.  Maybe a part time developer.  

On a purely volunteer level, I would love to president a local youth sports program or help high school kids through the college search-application-selection process.

Not genius level advice here or anything, but you should consider either getting a part time job or some kind of daily activity/schedule. The routine is good. Maybe is a run at the gym, hike in a local park, volunteer at the library, etc. Having a regular schedule and getting up, showered and out amongst people is important. If I don't do those things, I can fall into a funk pretty quickly. 
I'm in a great mood.  I worked my ### off for a long time and now the only that puts in a semi-foul mood is HAVING to do something.

I do know I need to get moving a lot more though.  

I'm in a great mood.  I worked my ### off for a long time and now the only that puts in a semi-foul mood is HAVING to do something.

I do know I need to get moving a lot more though.  
Gotcha. I took as you were disappointed with missing golf or feeling edgy about leaving the house for basic errands. If you just are interested in the exercise and don't want to leave your house, you get could get a treadmill. You can still listen to podcasts, audiobooks and use the internet while getting exercise while not having to go out and see anyone. 

I've done it.  I'm 56. Had a 30 year old business I closed a year ago. Became a RE agent and am starting to do well. Had to start from scratch. It's way harder than anyone ever tells you.

Just about finished paying off an incredible amount of debt keeping the old business alive from the 2008 down turn. I should have folded it back then and not taken out the loans.

After years of searching, found a great loan to refi my rentals and will cut back working and take a lot more vacations (haven't had a true one in 8 years) when it closes.

Got into real estate appraising at age 40. Perfect job if you can find someone to train you and don't need to make money right away (you're essentially free labor for a couple of years).  Easily work into your 70s, or as long as you can type and drive (even that may be changing with driverless cars).

Good topic.  Some may want to reinvent themselves or need to from an economic standpoint.  Don't know if I'll ever do that.  I'm 54.  Hoping this is my last gig and I make a 6+ year run.  If not, I can go for potentially less money and have more freedom by just doing pure sales vs. sales leadership.

But I do think about how I want to spend my time going forward.  A lot.  First and foremost, I want to be healthy enough to enjoy the back 9.  So exercise, stretch, and everything in moderation.  For me, I want to have time to work out and golf.  I'll continue to travel, more with my wife as the kids are now older so less as a family.  But the big thing I want to figure out is how I'll give back.  I'm passionate about helping kids become the first one in their families to go to college.  Think it can cause generational change.  I think I can mentor other folks as well.  I'd really enjoy that.  And of course spending time with my grandkids when I hopefully get them.  Hope the back can hold up to throwing BP...

I'm now 60.  I went back to school five years ago and did my doctorate (in accounting) through an on-line program.  Fortunately, I was then able to move into a full-time academic position this past fall (after 30 years as a university controller and adjunct professor).  Teaching's a great gig.  

Some of the 'reinventing' happens naturally as we become empty nesters.  We have more time for things and more control over our pace.  I've found that frees up time to enjoy more activities - movies, theater, community events, volunteering, travel, etc.  Some of the travel is quite unstructured ...just get out there and watch life go by.  My hobby (obsession?) is running, and I now have a lot more time for that.

As Judge Smails says, it's good to hit the stretch run in good health.  It's important for travel and, yes, for enjoying our kids and ..someday ..grandkids.   

All in all, I suppose it's less about reinventing as it is just rediscovering ourselves.

Good topic.  Some may want to reinvent themselves or need to from an economic standpoint.  Don't know if I'll ever do that.  I'm 54.  Hoping this is my last gig and I make a 6+ year run.  If not, I can go for potentially less money and have more freedom by just doing pure sales vs. sales leadership.

But I do think about how I want to spend my time going forward.  A lot.  First and foremost, I want to be healthy enough to enjoy the back 9.  So exercise, stretch, and everything in moderation.  For me, I want to have time to work out and golf.  I'll continue to travel, more with my wife as the kids are now older so less as a family.  But the big thing I want to figure out is how I'll give back.  I'm passionate about helping kids become the first one in their families to go to college.  Think it can cause generational change.  I think I can mentor other folks as well.  I'd really enjoy that.  And of course spending time with my grandkids when I hopefully get them.  Hope the back can hold up to throwing BP...
This is the focus of my Real Estate business from my post above.  Wife and I are talking about other things we want to do to give back. 

I'm almost a decade from 50 but looking forward to that decade.  Also I like Gezlaf15 stories, so I'll follow along here. 

Keep up the good work fellas.  :thumbup:  

I'm 52 and about to become a father so that's pretty close considering I've lived most my adult life like I was still in college.

I'm five years away and still undecided, though I keep thinking that I've decided only to change my mind a little later. I'll monitor this thread, too. 

I know four to six weeks motoring across the USA is in the works for sure, though. 

I didn't quite wait until I hit 50, but in my early 40's I started working towards a career in voiceovers. I'm fortunate that my wife makes a good salary (and we don't have kids) that enabled me to stop working full time as an AV tech for corporate events, and focus on VO work. I still freelance in AV and the majority of my salary is from that but I've finally started to turn the corner in VO. I hope in another 2 years or so, that I'll be able to drop a majority of my AV work. At which time my wife will look to scale back her own work and possibly start getting her own clients for accounting work. And that will be the rest of our lives, in a semi-retirement but still doing some kind of work. It'll leave us time for travel and I can get deeper into photography and painting. Hopefully retired somewhere around Wyoming or Idaho.

I'm 48, and I've been thinking about this a lot.  I have two kids, junior in college and high school, so the kids will be around for a few more years but before I know it, they'll be mainly gone. From a work perspective, I've worked for the same hospital my entire professional life (25+ years in finance).  Work has always been challenging and interesting, but the last few years our corporate overlords have decided to have more and more input into how we do things and who we do them with.  This has resulted in a ton of inefficiency and excess costs that we have to figure out how to cover locally while still achieving the corporate dictated margin.  I have real disdain for the head office and would like nothing better than to tell them to go pound sand.  My catch-22 is that I love my hospital, make almost FBG scratch, work 15 minutes from home, and have as much freedom in what I do daily as anyone could ask for.

It really is quite a good gig other than me having to deal with corporate plus having been here so long maybe I'm just burnt out.  Anyway, I know I'm really lucky and I'm being a whiny ##### so I usually grasp on to that and plow ahead.  Maybe 50 would be a good target to see if I still feel this way and if I need to see what else is out there.  We'll see.

I'll be 52 this summer and have noticed changes since turning 50.  Aside from the physical, of course, there are other changes that remind me of how time has slipped on.  I am now a proud grandfather.  I now work at home, though still in the IT security field.  I'd like to retire fully between 62-65, so I'd like to work another 10-15 years if I can.  

Right now I'd like to build my retirement house. Being a military family, we've lived in many different places.  As a result, my two kids really never had a root location they called home.  Upon college grad, they each went separate ways.  One in Tenn, the other down near Hilton Head, SC.  I am in the middle of SC about 2.5 hours away from the nearest one.  

I envy grand parents who have their children and their families in the same town.  Dilemma is if we move closer to one that puts us that much farther from the other.  I know in the near future, I wont be able to have them all, but I'm trying to settle on a central location and provide them with a nice place to bring their families.  Which leads back to the retirement house.  I'd love to build on a lake or find a place on the coast.  Nothing huge or gaudily expensive.  Just some place where I can spoil my grand children.  

Redefine myself?  I don't know.  I began learning music in my mid 40s and love to jam with my son (me guitar, him piano).  I just never get to see him much anymore. So in my house I want an office, a workshop, and a space for gaming (pool, darts, air hockey, ping pong) and a music room set up for sound.  The grandkids are going to want to come to Papa's house.  

Exercise and diet.  Begins there.  

Chances are you're in terrible shape, and eat like a goat.  Take better care of yourself than you have been.  A lot easier to accomplish any of this stuff if you aren't a fat slug.

I think about reinventing myself constantly (not 50, but just how I think). It usually happens slowly, but getting there on a lot of things. 
:yes:

One of the nice things about the past 17 years for us has been changing jobs and moving every 2-4 years. It's a hassle but always provides an impetus to reconsider our habits.  While it isn't really "reinventing" ourselves, we refine ourselves and create new habits. 

Reinventing implies there's something wrong with you that you feel must change.  You're probably doing quite well and would just benefit from a few adjustments and new habits.  Presuming you don't really mean it as a complete reengineering, but more like an upgrade, just make an effort to figure out what really makes you happy / content and spend more time doing those things that bring the greatest joy.  I'm sort of going through this now, as I turn 40 this summer and have started to look at the 2nd career, buying a home, and adding a 5th child to our lives.  Reading What color is your parachute and Who moved my cheese might provide some insight, so would talking to respected colleagues or even a social worker or psychologist (not that you're having a crisis or are in trouble, but talking it out can help).   I'm doing all this now.

Exercise and diet.  Begins there.  

Chances are you're in terrible shape, and eat like a goat.  Take better care of yourself than you have been.  A lot easier to accomplish any of this stuff if you aren't a fat slug.
So true!

We started really working on healthy eating about 5 years ago. My wife is an exercise fanatic and while I'll never be able to keep pace with her, I do have to force myself to stay in shape so we can both be active later in life. It definitely doesn't get any easier after 50 so get into the habit early.

I'm in my early 30s but my job puts me in contact with a ton of 50+ corporate types looking at reinventing themselves (I/we run a franchise company - most of my franchise buyers have capital from long careers and are looking to own their own business). I will say this - freedom to reinvent yourself is driven by 3 things... 1. Health. This is huge. It's really sad to see a guy in his early 50s who can't travel, play golf, enjoy life whatever. 2. Living reasonably on your income. It's hard to shift gears if you've always been a big spender. 3. 'Learning Mindset' - you have to be openminded and interested in learning for its own sake. Otherwise you will always default to the same well-worn paths you are used to. There's comfort in the known, excitement in the unknown. I can't tell you how many people I've spoken with who talk a big game about doing something new and exciting only to take that promotion or go into consulting in the same exact industry. It's just easier to milk the same cow. 

I'm 49 and will become an empty-nester this Fall.  That will be a pretty big game changer as our lives have revolved around our kids' activities (coaching, spectating, keeping them out of trouble etc.).  I want to buy a camper top and explore the mountains near where I live on weekends and play more golf. I exercise enough, but want to alter my diet - not having to eat a huge dinner at 6 pm every night should certainly help.  I'm unlikely to retire until I'm 61 (pension), but we are in a pretty good financial position so I might not wait that long.  I've considered becoming a soccer referee as a way of staying involved in youth sports, giving back, and filling a shortage, but don't think I can handle the schedule on top of work.  The rotten behavior of coaches, parents, and players is also a hindrance.  My plan is to give this empty-nesting thing a couple of years and then figure out if I need more before jumping into anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sense is that life situation (empty nester, for example) is bigger driver of re-inventing than age, but obviously many people hit that particular milestone around 50.

This is a fun topic.

I am retired and 48 but not yet an empty nester (daughter is a junior in high school).

So I took a different approach.

Instead of reinventing during early retirement, I decided to simply relive my childhood and just enjoy video games, comic books, sports, basically just the simple pleasures that work in my life right now.

Once the daughter is settled in college, a new phase will start that begins with a significant downsizing of the home and hopefully plenty of travel.

This is a fun topic.

I am retired and 48 but not yet an empty nester (daughter is a junior in high school).

Instead of reinventing during early retirement, I decided to simply relive my childhood and just enjoy video games, comic books, sports, basically just the simple pleasures that work in my life right now.

Once the daughter is settled in college, a new phase will start that begins with a significant downsizing of the home and hopefully plenty of travel.
This is where I'd like to be. My daughter's only 5, so I'm looking at 54 to make this happen (currently 44).

I'm 48 and pretty sure, short of winning the lottery, I won't be retiring for 20 years.. Been putting money away with the 401(k) and my Roth IRA but still....... Maybe as I get closer to 60 I'll rethink it..

The nice thing I have going for me is I have spent the last 4 years helping my cousin build his cabin in Canada. His statement to me throughout this whole ordeal has been... it is mine to use whenever I want..

So, once I do get closer to retirement I know I can take a week, two week, or a month vacation to his cabin and the only cost to me and my wife will be Gas for the drive up, gas for the Boat, and food other then fish. :thumbup:

This is a fun topic.

So looking forward to when I have F U money.

only 37, but like these type of threads...so following along :thumbup:
+ 1 ....except I'll be 40 this month.  Still need to change my outlook and start looking forward.  I've enjoyed living in the moment, but need to adjust my outlook a little bit as I get older.

Exercise, cooking, hobbies that aren't financially draining, side jobs that you enjoy doing, volunteer work....all solid options.

only 37, but like these type of threads...so following along :thumbup:
+ 1 ....except I'll be 40 this month.  Still need to change my outlook and start looking forward.  I've enjoyed living in the moment, but need to adjust my outlook a little bit as I get older.
Besides the above mentioned Cousin Canada Cabin,  which I plan on visiting numerous times when I retire...

My wife and I have already discussed buying a Class B RV  to take some road trips including a 2 to 3 month road trip of Western USA...

Our plan is to start at the top of where Glacier National Park meets Canada starting sometime in August, and follow the Fall colors down to the Grand Canyon..

The Basic Road map is this, with of course some detours along the way.. :)

I thought I was old at 42.  :P

I've really focused on stretching and yoga the last year+.  I am not sure I've ever been this flexible. But it has been hard to adjust my eating to get ahead of a slowing body.  I'm proud I'm not a giant slob but I need to get it in gear so I'm not in bad shape once I get to 50.

There are still so many things I'd like to do and be. But I am pretty well tied into where I am with my wifes illnesses and all the money issues from that. I would love to teach. I would love to be a reporter probably new media. I would love to become a lawyer not to get rich but to help people that need it. I would love to do research in more than one discipline. Maybe try my hand at acting.

So many lives to lead so little time.

Will be 54 this year and would like to retire by 58.  I could do so without a supplemental income but funds would be tight.  Thinking about something I can do for like 30-35 hours a week and make a good salary - which pushes me to a tech field.  Maybe a part time developer.  

On a purely volunteer level, I would love to president a local youth sports program or help high school kids through the college search-application-selection process.
Having done this, I would say don't waste your time.  It's not rewarding enough to make it worth your time, when you could be making a greater impact elsewhere.

Having done this, I would say don't waste your time.  It's not rewarding enough to make it worth your time, when you could be making a greater impact elsewhere.
I would have to disagree. Yeah the parents can suck but it isn't about them. It's about the kids. Seeing them out there playing, having a great time, learning life lessons that will impact them forever always made me happy.

The thought of retiring scares me.  I talk to the retired guys at the gym and at the bar sometimes; they struggle daily to feel relevant.  Not one has told me how awesome it is to be retired - none.  I was talking to a guy that retired from one of the 3 letter agencies at 52.  When he retired he had offers from contractors interested to hire him on his terms, part-time or 1099 and he turned them all down.  Now he's almost 60 and can't get any of those companies to even return his phone call because he's been out of the game so long. 

I could see myself scaling back what I do or just move myself into an advisory role but not working at all doesn't seem logical for me.  

I'd feel like Brooks from Shawshank Redemption. 

ETA:  I'm saying this as a 40 year old.

I'll be 40 in a few months.  So I find this whole thread interesting.  

We only have one child (my step) that is a junior in hs, so we've already talked about downsizing once she's in college.  We've also discussed the RV and other options.  I guess I'm more forward looking than I realized.  

Need to get both of us eating better and exercising more.  We do have a good start tho, we walk the dog about 2 miles 5/6 times/week.  If I could get out of my work travel I think we'd both eat better, I'm gone during the week almost 50% of the time.  I eat like crap when travelling for work and she and the kid don't eat well when I'm gone either.  

I seem to fit in well with the demographic of this thread.  I turned 52 this year, have a son who graduated from college last year, and a daughter entering college this year.  I have a brother nearby (VA), a couple more down in FL, and a sister in NC.  My Dad (82, FL) and Mom (79, SC) both married and active, though slowing down.

About 5 years ago, the wife and I purchased a boat and joined the yacht club as a hobby and social getaway - kind of a vacation every weekend for about half the year.  In the past year, I am making more health-conscious decisions, although just a little out of shape.  Not dieting, but eating healthier and cutting back to just drinking on weekends.  Also have a recombent bike to exercise, although the routine has been on and off with that.

Along with health, I have monitored my retirement "number" closely to ensure I have enough money for my wife and I to live the kind of life we want in retirement.  This would consist of plenty of travel and a relatively active lifestyle for at least the first 10 - 15 years in retirement.  With both parents alive and active, but slowing, I am both thankful for that and yet aware of how quickly the "golden years" deteriorate.

I have spend most of the past two decades focused on my children, and now likely the focus will be towards my parents for awhile, before that passes, and of course later to grandchildren, which are not in the picture at this time.

Reinventing - not so much.  Just the phases of life, I suppose...

I would have to disagree. Yeah the parents can suck but it isn't about them. It's about the kids. Seeing them out there playing, having a great time, learning life lessons that will impact them forever always made me happy.
Good on you, really.  The president job from what I've seen sucks, but it takes a special person to do it.  Coaching is awesome, I hope to do more in the future as my kids stay involved. 

Good on you, really.  The president job from what I've seen sucks, but it takes a special person to do it.  Coaching is awesome, I hope to do more in the future as my kids stay involved. 
Coaching can be a lot of work but the payoff is pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread