What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official *** Rogue One - A Star Wars Story (1 Viewer)

2nd watch through was incredibly boring. Meanwhile I've watched TFA several times and been entertained each time. 
Ive watched Rogue One several times and never found it boring. Admittedly slow in parts but overall really good.

I think the ending 20 minutes or so make it extremely rewatchable.

Yeah the first hour and a half are pretty slow. The ending had a great payoff though.

TFA is an all around superior film.
I still haven't made it through TFA again a second time. Rogue One still awesome. Entirely different movies.

TFA will get the acclaim if these new characters become household names decades from now but Rogue One is a better Star Wars movie.  My daughter loves Rey and has not even watched TFA (just played Lego TFA). I think that's where people are mistaking love for the characters as it being a good movie.

Incidentally, when I saw this in the theater in 3D, it was not readily apparent to me that Leia and Tarkin were computer generated.  I had forgotten all about this and watched it again over the weekend on Blu-Ray and it was ACHINGLY obvious.  So, either my cataclysmic hangover the day I saw it in the theater was making everything a bit blurry or watching it through 3D glasses 30 yards from the screen obscured the fact that it was CGI.  In crystal-clear HD with no hangover, it was beyond obvious, to the point that I called myself "numbnuts" for ever having thought otherwise.
it was obvious in the theatre as well

Incidentally, when I saw this in the theater in 3D, it was not readily apparent to me that Leia and Tarkin were computer generated.  I had forgotten all about this and watched it again over the weekend on Blu-Ray and it was ACHINGLY obvious.  So, either my cataclysmic hangover the day I saw it in the theater was making everything a bit blurry or watching it through 3D glasses 30 yards from the screen obscured the fact that it was CGI.  In crystal-clear HD with no hangover, it was beyond obvious, to the point that I called myself "numbnuts" for ever having thought otherwise.
I think it is our brains at fault here. And I think you are the perfect example of it. 

For most people- we know that Leia and Tarkin could not be Leia and Tarkin. Then every little thing is pointed out to us. If, as apparently you were, not really knowing (for whatever reason) that it could not be them and thus CGI then it was good enough for you to not really notice. 

There is a term for this, though I can not come up with it right now, where the closer you get to having something be human (like an android for example) the harder it is to pull it off (paraphrasing the concept of course). 

When I saw it in the theater, I didn't know Tarkin was CGI. I'd avoided all spoilers. I just thought they'd found an actor that they were able to use makeup to make him look incredibly like the original. And it didn't affect my enjoyment of the movie at all. 

Leia, however, looked ridiculous to me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is our brains at fault here. And I think you are the perfect example of it. 

For most people- we know that Leia and Tarkin could not be Leia and Tarkin. Then every little thing is pointed out to us. If, as apparently you were, not really knowing (for whatever reason) that it could not be them and thus CGI then it was good enough for you to not really notice. 

There is a term for this, though I can not come up with it right now, where the closer you get to having something be human (like an android for example) the harder it is to pull it off (paraphrasing the concept of course). 
Uncanny Valley

This is not a new thought, but there is no way TFA becomes a better movie than Rogue1 without the help of follow on movies. If the Last Jedi support, builds on TFA, and ultimately brings us new places, then we all win. But on its own, TFA is just episodes 7 and 9 shaken up, stirred and regurgitated as fan service in an attempt to "begin make things right". R1 had new characters and new plots while TFA was the same old stuff we've seen before. 

When I saw it in the theater, I didn't know Tarkin was CGI. I'd avoided all spoilers. I just thought they'd found an actor that they were able to use makeup to make him look incredibly like the original. And it didn't affect my enjoyment of the movie at all. 

Leia, however, looked ridiculous to me. 
While watching in the theater I knew there was something "off" about Tarkin, but as you, thought they found some actor that resembled him.
As for Leia.. I thought they had grabbed a scene from IV, that for the life of me I couldn't remember, and used that. Really bugged me for whatever reason as I've seen IV so many times that to forget a scene was baffling.
I was relieved to find out it was CGI and not my old age showing it's ugly side ;)

I still haven't made it through TFA again a second time. Rogue One still awesome. Entirely different movies.

TFA will get the acclaim if these new characters become household names decades from now but Rogue One is a better Star Wars movie.  My daughter loves Rey and has not even watched TFA (just played Lego TFA). I think that's where people are mistaking love for the characters as it being a good movie.
Same. TFA is on heavy rotation the last few months on the movie channels, I can't watch more than a few minutes before I get bored and change it. And if it is any scene with Darth Emo in it, I immediately switch the station. My nephews who are 14 and 11 have seen TFA more times than they can count, but only "liked" Rogue One. Rogue One was awesome for me as a late 30's man who grew up on the original Trilogy. IMO, it was an "adult" Star Wars film that a lot of us older fans have always wanted.

I'm hoping the Last Jedi is better but I'm not real confident it won't be more of the same, safe stock Disney-esque Star Wars. Which I'm sure means it will still make a billion dollars and people will eat it up.

Just saw Rogue One again.  I'm a Star Wars nerd.  Loved the original 3.  Hated Phantom Menace and AoTC but they were bearable.  I thought RoTS was pretty good.  I thought TFA sucked royally and was a complete zzzz.

My verdict on Rogue One ... it is an underrated movie.  Perhaps the 3rd best in the series behind Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi.  People dismiss it because it doesn't have the usually cast of characters and actors.  But for a storyline, it is wonderful.  Sure the CGI on Tarken was mediocre. And Leia CGI and Vader's emergence at the end felt stuffed into the movie.  But the acting is good and the story is among the best in the series.  It doesn't resort to a bunch of ridiculous 'they live through everything' fighting like Force Awakens, which is a complete travesty of a movie.

I suspect the Last Jedi will be very good.  I don't know why.  Hopefully more than action fighting scenes and some real storyline.  Just a feeling that they need to make something significantly better than Force Awakens makes me think they'll do a good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the long run, years from now...Rogue One will be more popular / rewatchable than Force Awakens
And people then will be saying the same things about it that we're saying now.

Things like, "Really, where the hell is OSHA with all of these walkways without hand rails over plunges to your death? And what's up with the R2 units? They have the processing power to be able to understand English, but not to speak it? ####### Alexa and Siri can speak English back to me, but a droid that can calculate hyperspace jumps lacks the processing power? What kind of sense does that make!?!?"
And have you noticed the door controls in Star Wars?  Not only can you work them manually, but you can also shoot them and they will either open the door, close the door, or lock the door exactly per the wishes of the wielder of the blaster.

And what gives with that Stormtrooper armor?  It doesn't protected against a blaster, and it doesn't protected against a blind guy armed with a stick.  What exactly is the point of it then?

I’d like some more details 
The article alludes to how the new guy came in and said look, people have to die here. I assume the original script had some hair brained scheme to get them off the planet which was probably really stupid. 

One actor said there’s an entirely different version of the movie out there, so they definitely weren’t dying in the end imo. 

The article alludes to how the new guy came in and said look, people have to die here. I assume the original script had some hair brained scheme to get them off the planet which was probably really stupid. 

One actor said there’s an entirely different version of the movie out there, so they definitely weren’t dying in the end imo. 
Thank God they let them redo it. If those people lived it would have been ridiculous.

This is my favorite of ALL the Star wars movies.  Empire (which I sae when it came out) is second.

Users who are viewing this thread