What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rams acquire #1 pick, Massive haul for Titans (1 Viewer)

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Titans-Trade-Top-Pick-Acquire-Multiple-Picks-from-Rams/b958c020-d4f6-4bbb-ab97-2747e1599854

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Two weeks before the NFL Draft, the Titans have pulled off a historic trade aimed to “bolster the roster” and better the team for years to come.

The Titans have agreed to trade the No.1 pick of the draft to the Los Angeles Rams for the 15th overall pick in this year’s draft, two second-round picks (43 and 45), and a third-rounder (76) in 2016. The Titans will also receive the Rams’ first-round pick in 2017, along with their third-round pick in next year’s draft.

In addition to Tennessee’s No.1 pick this year, the Rams will also receive a fourth-round pick (113) and sixth-round pick (177) in 2016.

As a result of the trade, the Titans now have six picks in the top 76 in this year’s draft – 15, 33, 43, 45, 64 and 76. The Titans already held picks 33 and 64.

“Being able to acquire six players in the top 76 this year, along with next year when you factor that into it — I am assuming five in the top three rounds — that is 11 players that we can add to this football team that should not only increase our depth, but give us good quality players at all those positions,’’ Titans general manager Jon Robinson said.

“In the end we thought it was a decision that was best for this football team. It made sense for us to do it, and that’s why we moved on it. We talked to several teams about the pick. There was interest in the pick, and in the end we thought this was the option that made the most sense for us...We think we can really bolster this roster with the picks that we now have.”

Robinson said the two teams made the trade now for planning purposes for both teams leading up to the April 28-30 draft in Chicago. The two teams had been in discussions for several weeks before “things fell into place” on Thursday morning. Robinson said he “talked to a couple of teams” over the last few weeks about the pick.

“There wasn’t any framework in place (from a previous deal) that we were working off of,’’ Robinson said. “With the No.1 overall pick, there were a lot of factors that were talked about in making that move and in the end we weighed all of those factors and what it would take for a team to come to the No.1 overall pick.

“In the end this was a deal we agreed on.”

Robinson took over as general manager of the Titans earlier this offseason after working previously in front offices with the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Today’s trade is yet another bold move for Robinson, who traded for former Eagles and Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray earlier this offseason. The Titans have added 10 new players this offseason.

“It is a big decision for this football team,’’ Robinson said of the trade. “It is not often that you have the number one pick and we hope to not be in this position again. But we tried to use that pick as currency to work the draft and maximize our player acquisition.”

In recent days, the Titans have entertained Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey and Oregon defensive lineman DeForest Buckner on pre-draft visits. The team is also scheduled host Ole Miss tackle Laremy Tunsil and Ohio State defensive lineman Joey Bosa.

Robinson said the trade only rules one thing out for the Titans. With plenty of ammunition, he acknowledged the team has plenty of options leading up to the draft.

“This move does not knock us out of any player, except one,’’ Robinson said. “We now have the ammunition to work the draft and acquire players that are going to be good for this football team.”

TRADE BY NUMBERS

Titans receive from Rams:
1st round pick (15 overall)
2nd round pick (43)
2nd round pick (45)
3rd round pick (76)
1st round pick in 2017
3rd round pick in 2017

Rams receive from Titans:
1st round pick (1 overall)
4th round pick (113)
6th round pick (177)

Tennessee is ALL OVER this on Twitter. A bunch of pre-made graphics showing their haul. You can tell how ecstatic they are with the return they got. 

Oof... Arnt any of these QB's debatable as far as giving up THIS much?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great deal for the Titans. Rams better hope the QB they take is the real deal. With no real true #1 out there this  year, it was smart for the Titans to shop around and they got a great deal.

I would not be surprised if TEN moves back up in the 1st to grab someone they like.  

Hey, it's a big deal for the Rams, they gave up a lot, but if you don't have a QB, you are just an also-ran.  They were already losing young players to second deals, and they need to put a QB on this team.  

Worth it if Wentz, or Goff is a Pro Bowler.  

The QB the Rams draft will feel like it is when he get to camp and see all the "pass catchers" he has to toss the rock to
To be honest, I think the Rams receivers are a little better than people think - their QBs have just been awful. If Brian Quick is recovered, it's not a bad unit at all.

We sure about this?  I think we'll hear pretty quick, actually.  
Not sure.  Just adding the pieces together is all.  Make a splash.  Local kid.  Brain for the position.  That's all.

(Not saying I think he's worth that.  Just saying I think that "could be" their thoughts)

Last edited by a moderator:
If ever a team needed to make a deal like this, it was Rams.  Have running game and defense, no QB.  
the circumstances were ideal for both teams to make this trade. 

Great deal for the Titans. Rams better hope the QB they take is the real deal. With no real true #1 out there this  year, it was smart for the Titans to shop around and they got a great deal.
yep. 

The QB the Rams draft will feel like it is when he get to camp and see all the "pass catchers" he has to toss the rock to
Kenny britt is awesome!  Do they even have a TE?

Still have to get players.  They don't now.  Incredibly boring roster, a young QB they like, and not much else.  DGB might be good at WR, might not.  Still have to go and get players.  
Murray should be solid, MM a franchise QB, Wright/DGB/Walker should be good enough, their D has a couple good players.  But they better hit on a few of these guys. 

Listen, no one aside from Mike Mayock (Carthon Wenth juth had the beth Pro Day I have ever theen!!!) thinks any QB is worth this trade.  

To be honest, I think the Rams receivers are a little better than people think - their QBs have just been awful. If Brian Quick is recovered, it's not a bad unit at all.
IF Brian Quick is recovered they might not be that bad....but, in my opinion, this is not a receiving corps that scares defensive coordinators.  On the other hand, Gurley is precisely the kind of safety cushion a rookie QB could benefit from.

The big thing about this trade, for me, is that I don't see Goff/Wentz or Keenum leading the Rams to a large number of victories this year so not only did the Titans make off with a haul in this year's draft, the 1st they got off the Rams next year will likely be in the top half of the round

Listen, no one aside from Mike Mayock (Carthon Wenth juth had the beth Pro Day I have ever theen!!!) thinks any QB is worth this trade.  
This all day.  The general consensus all stated these 2 QB's need a year and that wont happen now.  A ton of pressure, in a tough division, with almost 0 targets just isn't a good start IMHO

The big thing about this trade, for me, is that I don't see Goff/Wentz or Keenum leading the Rams to a large number of victories this year so not only did the Titans make off with a haul in this year's draft, the 1st they got off the Rams next year will likely be in the top half of the round
Defense and running game got Houston into playoffs last year.  

Wentz doesn't need to be a Pro Bowler next year, just needs to manage the game, and play better than Foles (seems do-able).

IF Brian Quick is recovered they might not be that bad....but, in my opinion, this is not a receiving corps that scares defensive coordinators.  On the other hand, Gurley is precisely the kind of safety cushion a rookie QB could benefit from.

The Rams have finished around .500 the last few seasons with (likely) far worse QBs. I love this trade for the Titans either way, but it's not a given they get an early first next year.

Defense and running game got Houston into playoffs last year.  

Wentz doesn't need to be a Pro Bowler next year, just needs to manage the game, and play better than Foles (seems do-able).
as true as this is, I suspect theyre hoping for more after giving up all that

And that folks, is how a loser NFL team stays a loser. The Rams apparently haven't learned their lesson from the Redskins even though Jeff Fisher made a point of rubbing the 'Skins nose in the Griffin deal during the coin toss last season.

Where does Tunsil end up now? If QBs go 1/2 and then we see a run on the premium defensive players, it seems like TEN can trade back up if they want to. 

Where does Tunsil end up now? If QBs go 1/2 and then we see a run on the premium defensive players, it seems like TEN can trade back up if they want to. 
SD will have a tough choice if it goes qb, qb. Staring at Ramsey, Jack, Bosa, Buckner, Tunsil. They need help everywhere.

As a fan of team that's never anywhere near the #1 overall pick, I am so jealous!

Two 1sts, Three 2nds, and Two 3rds this year and Two 1sts, a 2nd, and Two 3rds next year.  I've only ever dreamed about those possibilities!

The Titans have a ton of holes, but they can still grab a quality LT at 15 even if they don't trade back down.  And I think that if they offered 15 and 45 they could move back up at least 5 spots if not a little more to grab someone they love.  If they don't become contenders in the next 3-4 years, they seriously F***ed up.

Users who are viewing this thread