What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trading Cash/Cap Space in Salary Cap Leagues (1 Viewer)

TheMathNinja

Footballguy
Hey Sharks,

Wondering how many of you guys are in salary cap leagues where you are permitted to trade cash or cap space. I'm particularly interested in this idea for a salary cap & contract league that I run. I know it's not NFL-like, but the major reason it seems the NFL doesn't allow this is that it could threaten competitive balance for teams who would want to keep costs low and have a worse team. In fantasy, there seems to be no such motivation to have extra cash on hand. Have you guys used this feature? Do you like it? If not, would you want it in your salary cap dynasty league?

Just found this on a search. My auction Keep 3 league is kicking the tires on this.

It's a soft cap league so traded cap space would only be relevant for the upcoming and next year auction.

PROS I see - encourage more trading, reward those with more than 3 viable keepers, allow weaker teams and/or new ownership to rebuild

CONS - teams could do some serious damage to their teams for future years so teams would have to pay the next year's fees prior to trades

Looking for some example rules and experiences from similar leagues - thanks

NEVER allow this - bad teams or teams that need to make a move will likely never recover from this - there have to be some areas where everyone is on common ground - Especially in keeper leagues because if a team does a lot of this and doesn't win/cash their team may be so bad that a) they quit; and b) you have a terrible time finding a new owner to take over a team that far behind in all areas

NEVER allow this - bad teams or teams that need to make a move will likely never recover from this - there have to be some areas where everyone is on common ground - Especially in keeper leagues because if a team does a lot of this and doesn't win/cash their team may be so bad that a) they quit; and b) you have a terrible time finding a new owner to take over a team that far behind in all areas
Having cap space reset after the year is a good middle ground.  We have a related system in place and it works fine.  Bad teams don't get stuck long-term this way and it's actually a good way for them to work a rebuild - I'll give you 10k cap space this year for a 3rd rounder next season. 

Users who are viewing this thread