What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Johnson - Bobby Slowik and "Hope" (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member

Ben Johnson and Bobby Slowik staying "home" is fascinating. And good for fans.

But it's bigger than the Lions and Texans.

It's about one of life's most underrated forces: "Hope."

And it highlights part of what makes the NFL so attractive.

Frameworks and structures are set up to deliver outcomes. In the NFL's case, one primary desired outcome is parity. One can use words like "equality" or "fairness" in the conversation and those would be accurate.

But the outcome for those is simply "Hope". And that's powerful.

Hope for fans and hope for teams. Hope that with smart drafting and hard work and good hiring, all 32 teams have a shot. And this isn't wishful thinking. Every year, we see teams that rise up while others fall off.

The NFL, of course, does this with how players are distributed in the draft and how teams are forced to manage rosters year to year with a salary cap.

It makes them feel different from the NBA or MLB and even College Football where the top teams have such an advantage.

The fact hot head coaching prospects like Johnson and Slowinski would stay where they are speaks to how teams like the Lions and Texans can be competitive and it's good for the league and for fans (which is good for the league).

Don't undervalue "Hope".

This narrative is only correct if we know they were actually offered jobs and they turned them down.

I believe Ben Johnson was offered the job.

I'm very confident Slowik could have had an HC job.

But even beyond Johnson and Slowik, I think the narrative works. Lions and Texans fans had a fantastic season, and that gives hope to other teams. That's my main point.

Interestingly, the other side of the "Hope" coin is less fun but just as crucial for interest in the league: "Worry."

For many of the same reasons the underperforming teams have hope, the teams on top face built in obstacles from the system that make it tough to stay on top. And they have lots to worry about.

Can you give the QB a new contract? Can you keep the expensive linebacker? Do you trade for the rising player?

All those decisions are exciting and fun, but put what feels like just the right amount of pressure on teams and fans to not let them stay comfortable at the top. They have plenty to worry about.

And that's good for business.

It is because the 'meathead' Dan Campbell has Ben Johnson's back. And Shiela Hemp has Dan Campbell's back. It is a culture where people trust the people to do their job. The Lions have made the tough business of running a football team into a family of dedicated people who love and trust each other. Being an OC in an ideal situation with job security is so much better and not worth the extreme amount of work and intense pressure of an HC gig.

This narrative is only correct if we know they were actually offered jobs and they turned them down.

I believe Ben Johnson was offered the job.

I'm very confident Slowik could have had an HC job.

But even beyond Johnson and Slowik, I think the narrative works. Lions and Texans fans had a fantastic season, and that gives hope to other teams. That's my main point.

I think we see that hope pretty regularly which is one of the reasons why the NFL is so popular...the Pats went from a laughingstock organization to being the best Dynasty in history...the Bills were a mess for years and are now a top-tier franchise...the Rams went from bad to Super Bowl champs to bad to good again very quickly...Tampa Bay was another organization that was hopeless then won a Super Bowl due to one addition...the Lions and Texans are great stories but they are just the latest examples for the NFL.

I think it's awesome news for both Lions and Texans fans. There is hope for both offenses to stay the course and repeat their successes.

It is because the 'meathead' Dan Campbell has Ben Johnson's back. And Shiela Hemp has Dan Campbell's back. It is a culture where people trust the people to do their job. The Lions have made the tough business of running a football team into a family of dedicated people who love and trust each other. Being an OC in an ideal situation with job security is so much better and not worth the extreme amount of work and intense pressure of an HC gig.

i think ben johnson might take dan campells job at some point

I doubt if that is in the cards. Dan, Brad and Shiela have an ideal situation. I would not be count on that breaking up. In fact I think the stability and security is a key reason Ben stayed. Having a high-profile secure job in the NFL is rare. That is why Ben's asking price was high to leave it.

We don’t know what they were offered or what their demands were (control, GM-ish authority, etc) so it’s a little ambiguous.

Good message though. Except for the part where bad teams still make bad decisions (how hopeful are Panthers fans right now?) and good teams seemingly manipulate the cap at will.

For the 2 coaches in question, I’m happy for fans of their team that they’re staying & offering continuity. The rest kinda sounds like a monologue from Star Wars.

From what I'm hearing Ben's asking price was over the top. Which could have been his way of saying I currently don't want a HC job. I hope he gets another opportunity.

Detroit Lions fans sure we are all happy for them. Lions are the likeable team that's been basically losing forever. With all the high draft picks over the years/century of course they'd have to turn a corner. They've had Stafford, Sanders, and Johnson. Each one of them either retired early or forced their way out. Alot of it was due to the situation in Detroit. ChatGPT came up with 3 bullet points Lack of championships, poor drafting and management, tough division and schedule. Detroit will be a known commodity in 2024 and their path in theory should be more difficult.

Texans got rid Mr. Touch and Feely and hit the lottery with CJ Stroud. Not only did they fleece the Browns but changed their culture overnight. I have more hope in the Texans.

From what I'm hearing Ben's asking price was over the top. Which could have been his way of saying I currently don't want a HC job. I hope he gets another opportunity.
I would be skeptical of any of those types of reports. It could be he got greedy. It could be, as you say, that he decided he would only leave for true Eff You money and teams weren't willing to give it to him. Or it could just be someone at one of the teams that he rejected is spinning Schefter in order to save face: "You can't break up with me! I'm breaking up with you!"

Well said and it is true for any work place. Sometimes a promotion is not always better if the fit isn't good and the management/ownership group aren't aligned.

We have no idea what was discussed in these interviews and where/what the reason was for BJ not coming to an agreement with SEA. Something or multiple things weren't "right" and there should be no negative sentiment for BJ going back to try to make another SB run with the Lions.

Imagine - a guy happy where he is, enjoying what he does. Money isn't everything.

Well maybe, but Dan isn't going anywhere for a few years at least.

Well maybe, but Dan isn't going anywhere for a few years at least.
Yeah Dan has 3 years left on his initial 6 year contract. And there is always a possible extension for both him and the GM Holmes.

When the Titans hired Tim Kelly who led an awful passing attack to be passing coordinator I was annoyed. Passing game was brutal. Then he got promoted to OC and I was upset.

Besides Tannehill(Mariota) and a few games w Dobbs, the Titans usually have awful backup QBs so when the starter gets injured and the backup goes in, you can almost feel the hope leave. Then it gets desperate and I either want direct snaps to Henry all game or an XFL QB.

I feel like there's an unspoken promise of hope and they took it away. Like that joke- the Bears are the best team at 1-0, this is their year. As fans we're owed that much hope at least.

After Kelly in Houston, Pep Hamilton got promoted and initially got some HC interviews as an up n comer. They had injury after injury and somehow he was keeping them in games with Burkhardt as a RB and Mills as his QB. That fell off the next year and injuries or not, they were just bad and some were guessing he got too much credit the year before.

Throw in Deshaun or Arian Foster or Foreman here and I thought why are the Texans so confident they can lose Slowik after a one year turnaround? They've done nothing to illustrate longevity...ever. I bet the Texans fan base breathed a collective sigh of relief that he's back.
The AFCN averaged around 50 percent roster turnover the last couple years and for a change the Texans fans won't have to go through that

Except for the part where bad teams still make bad decisions (how hopeful are Panthers fans right now?)

That was Houston for a while. Texans fans feel very different today than they did 12 months ago.

Yeah, It's amazing what a great QB and Coach can do for a franchise. Unfortunately, most teams won't be as lucky as the Texans. They really hit the jackpot finding both in the same year.

Except for the part where bad teams still make bad decisions (how hopeful are Panthers fans right now?)

That was Houston for a while. Texans fans feel very different today than they did 12 months ago.

Yeah, It's amazing what a great QB and Coach can do for a franchise. Unfortunately, most teams won't be as lucky as the Texans. They really hit the jackpot finding both in the same year.
Exactly.

That the Texans lucked out doesn’t change my point that the way the system is designed isn’t always the way the system works.

Parity is the goal, but rarely the outcome.

It’s better than a lot of sports, I’ll agree with that.

JJ Watt, when Pat McAfee talked about Jack Easterby's departure in a way that jokingly gave Easterby some credit for this year's turn around in Houston:

"There was a turnaround at a very certain point," Watt said. "Coincidences aren't always coincidences."

Recognizing and parting with bad decisionmakers makes such a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread