What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (7 Viewers)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
Well, after divesting myself of some items I still have the following ammunition in my home. 

.22 mag, .40, 10mm, .44.

20 gauge, 12 gauge (obviously various loads for various utilities)

.22LR, .223, .270, 30.06, .338, .444
I have a sudden urge to watch that Tremors movie with the dad from family ties and Reba in it.  :)

Ditkaless Wonders: "You picked the wrong basement to bust into!"

Point is, every gun I have, I have for a specific reason. I would take any suggestion that I should give one of them up unkindly.
Same here... I only have 5 but they all have a purpose. Some, multiple purposes. All are fun as hell to shoot and train with. 

I have a sudden urge to watch that Tremors movie with the dad from family ties and Reba in it.  :)

Ditkaless Wonders: "You picked the wrong basement to bust into!"
yeah.. I've chatted a bit via PM with DW, and while he's rather "close to his chest" with specifics of his gun collection (as most true aficionados are, for very obvious reasons).... I can say he has/had quite the assortment of classic and modern smokesticks. 

I am always amazed that the people who are so concerned about keeping their homes safe with guns live in the middle of nowhere where you don't even see or hear your neighbors. And those of us who live in large cities where homes get robbed more regularly do not have this fear and the need to arm ourselves with multiple guns. Not saying one is more right then the other, just always perplexes me.

and as for the idea that we need more citizens with carrying concealed weapons, I remember reading an article a few years back how the percent of these members who the cops got called on because they were whipping their guns out was higher then the average, and the percent of these guys who got mugged and robbed for their guns was higher then the average. Going off the top of my head here so the validity of this information from said article can certainly be put into question (better chance I go out and buy a few of these guns then bother to look it up), but something to consider

spider321 said:
Thousands upon thousands(if not millions) of Americans will die if you send police/swat and/or the military to people's doors with the intent of taking their guns away from them.

You guys do realize that, right?
:lmao:  

I am always amazed that the people who are so concerned about keeping their homes safe with guns live in the middle of nowhere where you don't even see or hear your neighbors. And those of us who live in large cities where homes get robbed more regularly do not have this fear and the need to arm ourselves with multiple guns. Not saying one is more right then the other, just always perplexes me.
people who fear other people tend to live out in the country.  It's really not perplexing.

and as for the idea that we need more citizens with carrying concealed weapons, I remember reading an article a few years back how the percent of these members who the cops got called on because they were whipping their guns out was higher then the average, and the percent of these guys who got mugged and robbed for their guns was higher then the average. Going off the top of my head here so the validity of this information from said article can certainly be put into question (better chance I go out and buy a few of these guns then bother to look it up), but something to consider

Help is a long ways away if you live in the middle of nowhere.

Also, in regards to rural people with no neighbors favoring guns:

If I lived in the middle of nowhere, with no neighbors, and with a police response time of at least a half hour, I'd own more guns.   I definitely support some gun ownership rights.

Well, after divesting myself of some items I still have the following ammunition in my home. 

.22 mag, .40, 10mm, .44.

20 gauge, 12 gauge (obviously various loads for various utilities)

.22LR, .223, .270, 30.06, .338, .444
TBH, it's not the gun hoarders I worry about.  Too attached to their guns to lose them by going to jail.

I recognize this and understand situations are vastly different throughout the country.  Gun laws in urban areas shouldn't be the same as rural areas.
I'm not saying you need an armoury or anything like that; just that it would be pretty foolish to live in the country with a 12-gauge at a minimum. Primarily for wildlife (region specific) but also for the .0001% chance of a home invasion/robbery. 

Not necessarily. Rural homes are incredibly easy targets for thieves. 
Pretty confident that the numbers would show that you're way more likely to suffer any type of break-in, theft, or violence in more populated areas. More people always equals more crime, I don't think thieves target rural homes specifically at a higher rate due to the isolation. I'm willing to be swayed by the numbers on this, though. Maybe people living in the middle of nowhere have a reason to be more afraid. 

Not necessarily. Rural homes are incredibly easy targets for thieves. 
is this true? Honestly, if I am thief, I like my chances better where there are a few homes then where there are none. People I know who don't live in the city have never experienced anybody trying to rob them and I don't know of anybody that has. In the city, my house was robbed once and I know plenty of others that have dealt with it. Not saying it doesn't happen, just wondering if that really is the case.

I can see the easy target thing because maybe people don't lock their doors, etc., but not sure why else it would be the case. And if we really want to dive into this, we really have to distinguish between the amateur robber who is on something or drunk and wants to barge into a home vs. the more professional robber who the last thing they want to do is have someone home when they rob a house

Pretty confident that the numbers would show that you're way more likely to suffer any type of break-in, theft, or violence in more populated areas. More people always equals more crime, I don't think thieves target rural homes specifically at a higher rate due to the isolation. I'm willing to be swayed by the numbers on this, though. Maybe people living in the middle of nowhere have a reason to be more afraid. 
Maybe. I don't have numbers to back it up :shrug:

Anecdotally I believe its true with where I'm from (Canadian prairies). During winter, crooks drive around a day or two after snowfalls and if you don't have tire tracks in your driveway, you're getting robbed. 

I am sure from my comments some of you are picturing me with a gun safe full of guns at home. That would not be accurate if you were thinking that. I have one shotgun that I have had since I was 14 and that I haven't shot in several decades. I have no ammo at home for it either.

Since Illinois allowed concealed carry I have been thinking about getting mine. I kind of had the attitude that I prob would do it but it was no where near a priority now. Events like this make me want to move it up the priority list. I don't have a victim mentality and I never have nor do I intend to ever. There are a lot of bad people out there and there is not nearly enough of good guys with guns.

is this true? Honestly, if I am thief, I like my chances better where there are a few homes then where there are none. People I know who don't live in the city have never experienced anybody trying to rob them and I don't know of anybody that has. In the city, my house was robbed once and I know plenty of others that have dealt with it. Not saying it doesn't happen, just wondering if that really is the case.

I can see the easy target thing because maybe people don't lock their doors, etc., but not sure why else it would be the case. And if we really want to dive into this, we really have to distinguish between the amateur robber who is on something or drunk and wants to barge into a home vs. the more professional robber who the last thing they want to do is have someone home when they rob a house
You don't have to worry about being seen. If you see home owners leave, the place is going to be empty for X amount of time and there is no one to see you or hear you.

Maybe it balances out...because I think you'd be at way less risk for this kind of crime out in the boonies, but if you're part of the small percentage who suffer it, help is further away.

Of course the vast, vast majority of thieves want an easy payday and no violence whatsoever, so its unrealistic in the first place. If you live in the middle of nowhere (or anywhere really), a car in the driveway or lights on will pretty much protect you from all crime, period. People aren't breaking into a quiet country house in the middle of the night precisely because they don't want to get caught or hurt. And if you're not home, guns aren't helping the situation anyways. So I don't know how realistic this fear is.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to worry about being seen. If you see home owners leave, the place is going to be empty for X amount of time and there is no one to see you or hear you.
I have quite a few buddies who are cops, and they would say one of the most common ways for people in the city with a criminal record to get a gun is to do what you suggested. So tracking back to the gun argument, it seems like it could make you a bigger target then someone else because they are breaking in your home looking for something specific. It is why Philadelphia has tried for years to make it a law where if you lose or have your gun stolen you need to report it. NRA has shut it down a few times, but they constantly deal with crimes and if/when they trace the gun it belongs to some dude living in the burbs. Now I am not sure the frequency of this, but it is common enough that most cops (from Philly) agree

Maybe it balances out...because I think you'd be at way less risk for this kind of crime out in the boonies, but if you're part of the small percentage who suffer it, help is further away.

Of course the vast, vast majority of thieves want an easy payday and no violence whatsoever, so its unrealistic in the first place. If you live in the middle of nowhere, a car in the driveway or lights on will pretty much protect you from all crime, period. People aren't breaking into a quiet country house in the middle of the night precisely because they don't want to get caught or hurt. And if you're not home, guns aren't helping the situation anyways. So I don't know how realistic this fear is.
I don't disagree. The part you worry about is when they think you're not home and decide its an easy target. Odds are incredibly remote, sure. Primary reason for having a gun would be for wildlife (coyotes, skunks, bears, etc). 

But what does this have to do with guns. If no one is home, nobody is there to use a gun to protect the property. And if someone is still home, any kind of light or noise generally spooks criminals in the vast majority of cases. People watch too many movies, thieves are in it for the easy targets. A house in the middle of nowhere is not an easy target unless the thief knows someone who lives there and targets it specifically, which changes things.

Edit: Saw your previous response, which I think covers this. We're mostly on the same page I think

I have quite a few buddies who are cops, and they would say one of the most common ways for people in the city with a criminal record to get a gun is to do what you suggested. So tracking back to the gun argument, it seems like it could make you a bigger target then someone else because they are breaking in your home looking for something specific. It is why Philadelphia has tried for years to make it a law where if you lose or have your gun stolen you need to report it. NRA has shut it down a few times, but they constantly deal with crimes and if/when they trace the gun it belongs to some dude living in the burbs. Now I am not sure the frequency of this, but it is common enough that most cops (from Philly) agree
Absolutely. That's where it is up to gun owners to be responsible and have their guns properly secured so they can't be stolen. And if it does happen, report it. So incredibly dumb not to report your weapons stolen.

depends on the danger you're trying to counter.  More wildlife that can attack my dogs (or family) which I'd have less of a chance of fighting without a gun and less guilt later for killing.
Maybe I missed where this thread swerved to, but I get this. Its a reason someone living in the middle of nowhere might need guns. But an AR15 or something like that? Overkill, no? 

I inherited an arsenal of weapons from my FIL.  One AK looking gun, 5-6 different rifles, one 12 gauge shotgun, a 9mm handgun, two 45s, a couple 22s, possibly a 38 caliber, and boxes upon boxes of ammo for each.  Not sure what he was going to do with all of this stuff but I can hold off a small army for a week.  Had to buy a safe that is now in my bedroom.   Nobody better mess with my guns! 'Murica!!!!!!

I'm not a redneck, but most of my family is.  Every male family member of mine owns multiple guns, and some females as well.  It's a source of pride for them.  A few of my older relatives actually despise AR style firearms but they'd side of the AR owners over people wishing to limit their ownership until they die.  They make slippery slope arguments and express a general distrust for anyone that doesn't support their interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.  I like shooting too, but I don't think these firearms have any use in our society.

Maybe I missed where this thread swerved to, but I get this. Its a reason someone living in the middle of nowhere might need guns. But an AR15 or something like that? Overkill, no? 
maybe.  I'd probably just get a good shotgun and .375 rifle or something similar. 

Also most people have no idea what an assault rifle is. Hint it's not an automatic weapon. It's not a machine gun. The public version is just a rifle. 
Nobody cares, when some dip#### can go on the internet for 12 minutes and learn how to cheaply modify it into a killing machine. 

There are plenty of good arguments for owning many kinds of guns. There are zero good arguments (that have been presented so far) for not banning guns that can be modified into near approximations of fully automatic weaponry. That's the point of the thread.

Part of the reason is that when you live in rural areas, the county sheriff could be 30-45 minutes away. We are literally on our own. And yes, there is some crime in rural areas - we have meth heads too. One of my neighbors did have someone break in her house and was even rummaging through her dresser while she pretended to be asleep. Had whoever it was attacked her and she was unarmed, she would be dead. Had that happened to us, he would be.

Nobody cares, when some dip#### can go on the internet for 12 minutes and learn how to cheaply modify it into a killing machine. 

There are plenty of good arguments for owning many kinds of guns. There are zero good arguments (that have been presented so far) for not banning guns that can be modified into near approximations of fully automatic weaponry. That's the point of the thread.
Exactly.  Gun-guy always tries to dominate the debate with the "I know more about guns and their nomenclature than you do and therefore I have a superior position."  All that noise does is kick up dust and deflect from the debate at hand.  

Well someone did break into my house a few years ago. I wasn't home. They were mostly interested in the medicine chest, but also took money and some things they could pawn. At least two of my neighbors have had break-ins. Mostly it happens when no one is home - because most thieves know it will end badly if someone is home.

Well someone did break into my house a few years ago. I wasn't home. They were mostly interested in the medicine chest, but also took money and some things they could pawn. At least two of my neighbors have had break-ins. Mostly it happens when no one is home - because most thieves know it will end badly if someone is home.
I've had my house broken into too  (##### must have known our place. girls i lived with were sleeping, i was still at work bartending). It does F with your head and make you pretty pissed, so i really can't blame anybody who has had their house broken into owning a gun.

ETA: to take out the personal ranting. :)  

What if 600 burglars break into your house? I don't think a shotgun is going to cut it then. 

I'll post the same thing I do in all of these threads. By way of background I worked at the NRA in the 90s, right when all the infamous "Jack-booted Thugs" flap was going on. I worked on the hunting and safety side as opposed to the ILA, which is the lobbying arm. I own 2 guns currently but don't keep any ammunition in the house since I have a young son and think it's safer that way. 

In short, I don't think people need semi-automatic guns (I won't read the thread but I assume it immediately devolved into an argument over what constitutes an assault weapon so I'll just keep my comments directed at all semi-auto) for legitimate sporting purposes and further that there is a vastly diminishing return on semi-automatics for defense purposes. 

I also don't think there is a definitive 2nd Amendment right to own/carry semi-automatics. The vast majority of people including gun owners currently recognize a distinction between fully-automatic weapons and 2A protection, so the line is somewhat arbitrary as the amendment was written before any of today's modern arms existed. So the question really should be about the marginal value of weapons for legitimate reasons vs. the risk of misuse. As stated above, I think the marginal value is small beyond personal preference. At a minimum I believe we can and should effectively ban semi-automatic rifles and I would personally like to see that extended to handguns as well.

I'll post the same thing I do in all of these threads. By way of background I worked at the NRA in the 90s, right when all the infamous "Jack-booted Thugs" flap was going on. I worked on the hunting and safety side as opposed to the ILA, which is the lobbying arm. I own 2 guns currently but don't keep any ammunition in the house since I have a young son and think it's safer that way. 

In short, I don't think people need semi-automatic guns (I won't read the thread but I assume it immediately devolved into an argument over what constitutes an assault weapon so I'll just keep my comments directed at all semi-auto) for legitimate sporting purposes and further that there is a vastly diminishing return on semi-automatics for defense purposes. 

I also don't think there is a definitive 2nd Amendment right to own/carry semi-automatics. The vast majority of people including gun owners currently recognize a distinction between fully-automatic weapon and 2A protection, so the line is somewhat arbitrary as the amendment was written before any of today's modern arms existed. So the question really should be about the marginal value of weapons for legitimate reasons vs. the risk of misuse. As stated above, I think the marginal value is small beyond personal preference. At a minimum I believe we can and should effectively ban semi-automatic rifles at a minimum and I would personally like to see that extended that to handguns as well.
A single shot hand gun? Seriously?

Oh so we are changing the rules? When proven wrong you make up some scenario to try and prove you're right. 

Users who are viewing this thread