What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why would anyone need an assault rifle? (4 Viewers)

Assault Rifles

• Total voters
The dirty little secret in the AR world is the 80% lower. ANYONE can buy a raw, unfinished AR lower forging that has 80% of the machining done (hence the name). You can buy the dies, templates etc with bits to make a fully functional AR15 lower with a common drill press. These are not regulated and are untraceable. It's illegal to sell one after its finished, but its pretty widely accepted that these 80% lowers are the domain of the "sketchy" / paranoid etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this gem on facebook:

I stand behind you in line at the store with a smile on my face...and a gun under my shirt and you are none the wiser, yet you are safer for having me next to you. I won't shoot you. My gun won't pull it's own trigger. It is securely holstered with the trigger covered. It can't just go off. However, rest assured that if a lunatic walks into the grocery store and pulls out a rifle, I will draw my pistol and protect myself and my family and therefore protect you and your family.... I may get shot before I can pull the trigger...but, I won't die in a helpless blubbering heap on the floor begging for my life or my child's life. No, if I die it will be in a pile of spent shell casings. I won't be that victim. I choose not to be. As for you, I don't ask you to carry a gun. If you are not comfortable, then please don't. But I would like to keep my right to choose to not be a helpless victim. There is evil in the world and if evil has a gun, I want one too... ?

Copy and paste if you believe this too.

:lmao:  Christ.

Many people can also build a lower receiver with a simple 3D printer.  The point is, if there is a will, there is a way.  

Let's say over night the government did pass a law making all guns illegal. And they magically all disappeared so there wasn't a single gun inside the US.

How many years do you think it would take for a blue-print to 3-D print all the pieces to assemble a gun to find it's way onto the internet? Months? Weeks?

Those plans came on that wicked internet..... can't wait until they want to hobble all internet traffic to make sure there are know encrypted programs to manufacture your own gun. Where does this stop?

Let's say over night the government did pass a law making all guns illegal. And they magically all disappeared so there wasn't a single gun inside the US.

How many years do you think it would take for a blue-print to 3-D print all the pieces to assemble a gun to find it's way onto the internet? Months? Weeks?
A few hours tops.  There are already blue prints to do such things.

Daily Show just reported 23 Americans have been shot by toddlers this year. 

Guns don't kill people, little people kill big people. 
This guy gets it.
Well, really it was the parents of those toddlers. But that makes those parents little people in their own way. I wonder how many people were killed by gasoline last year?

It's also hard when it's already illegal to go to a populated place indiscriminately kill people. The solution of making another law for him to break to do so seems wonky to me. Maybe he broke the speed limit on the way to the shooting. Maybe he jaywalked from wherever he parked. If he broke 20 laws before a horrific act of terrorism is it really going to make anyone feel better if we pass another law so he had to break 21 of them instead?

Nobody can be so naive that they think we can stop bad guys from getting guns in this country. If there are they probably think that pot was just "discovered" in the states of CO and WA.
Yup.  No way to totally prevent bad guys getting guns so there's no point in trying to reduce the numbers of bad guys with guns.  Really, we just need more good guys with guns out there.

A few hours tops.  There are already blue prints to do such things.
That Clint Eastwood movie was good where he was killing the president and he had a plastic gun but it didn't go off because of the presdient's bodyguard played by Kevin Houston.

Whats wrong with that?  I see no problem with people refusing to be a victim
Well, let's set aside the creepy tone, comical melodrama, and delusional hero complex and consider that when somebody comes into a grocery store with a gun, they are most likely just robbing the place and pulling a gun is only going to escalate things in a way that is recklessly unnecessary. That's what insurance is for, not getting daddy (or worse, some innocent bystander) killed. That guy is more likely to kill himself or somebody in his family than he is of ever saving the day.

Whats wrong with that?  I see no problem with people refusing to be a victim
Well, please let us know who the people with the conceiled weapons are please. You guys can get all the guns you want, but i really don't want a gun happy guy standing behind me in line thinking he is protecting me. 

Thanks Mr Super Hero guy, but i am capable of taking care of myself. I don't need protection from you, and frankly i don't appreciate you standing behind me because i don't know who you are and i don't trust you. So before i turn around with a quick thrust to the throat, how about we stand in different lines?

Those plans came on that wicked internet..... can't wait until they want to hobble all internet traffic to make sure there are know encrypted programs to manufacture your own gun. Where does this stop?
Where? Probably when that maroon walks into prison for his 15 year bit.

Well, let's set aside the creepy tone, comical melodrama, and delusional hero complex and consider that when somebody comes into a grocery store with a gun, they are most likely just robbing the place and pulling a gun is only going to escalate things in a way that is most likely recklessly unnecessary. That's what insurance is for, not getting daddy (or worse, some innocent bystander) killed. That guy is more likely to kill himself or somebody in his family than he is of ever saving the day.
It never said it was a grocery store.  There are instances just about every day where a concealed carrier stopped the actions of someone who intended to commit crimes or harm to someone.

Well, please let us know who the people with the conceiled weapons are please. You guys can get all the guns you want, but i really don't want a gun happy guy standing behind me in line thinking he is protecting me. 

Thanks Mr Super Hero guy, but i am capable of taking care of myself. I don't need protection from you, and frankly i don't appreciate you standing behind me because i don't know who you are and i don't trust you. So before i turn around with a quick thrust to the throat, how about we stand in different lines?
You probably stand in lines all the time with concealed carriers and never know the difference.  I simply stated that I see no problem with someone who refuses to be a victim.

That's a fair question.

I think for the most adamant pot users in CO the change in law has not affected their consumption. Not even a tiny, little bit. Let's call that the 5%ers.

I would describe AR-15 wielding terrorists as "gun enthusiasts". The guys that do this stuff are easily in the top 5% of gun nuts out there and will find a gun. Or, I suppose they could just switch to making bombs instead. How's your lawn? How many household pesticides are we going to ban?

The weapon isn't the AR-15, it's the person.
Even for long time smokers the laws have had a significant change in terms of how they purchase and the quality of what they consume. Once medical marijuana became legally available by and large they all went out and got cards as opposed to continuing to buy through their supplier because it was safer and they had access to better product. These are basic economic principles, if you make something easier or harder to get demand will move in relation. You can't make demand go away, so motivated people will still seek it out but you increase the cost and/or risk of doing so. In the case of guns, if someone had to go to the black market to get say an AR 15, in a supply-restricted market they would have to pay more and clearly there is a greater risk of them being caught if they have to obtain it illegally vs. legally. 

I'm much more afraid of buying the farm while some soccer mom is staring at the screen of her iPhone while not paying attention to where her 4,000 pound minvan is moving at 60+mph than I am from a bazooka. What's the cool down period and background check for iPhones? MiniVans? Soccer balls?

Even for long time smokers the laws have had a significant change in terms of how they purchase and the quality of what they consume. Once medical marijuana became legally available by and large they all went out and got cards as opposed to continuing to buy through their supplier because it was safer and they had access to better product. These are basic economic principles, if you make something easier or harder to get demand will move in relation. You can't make demand go away, so motivated people will still seek it out but you increase the cost and/or risk of doing so. In the case of guns, if someone had to go to the black market to get say an AR 15, in a supply-restricted market they would have to pay more and clearly there is a greater risk of them being caught if they have to obtain it illegally vs. legally. 
Exactly.

And why would any self-respecting terrorist go through that bother? Especially if Game of Thrones was on that night.

What % of gun owners do you think are actually responsible for these attacks?

Exactly.

And why would any self-respecting terrorist go through that bother? Especially if Game of Thrones was on that night.

What % of gun owners do you think are actually responsible for these attacks?
I'm not sure exactly what point you are making here. Do you think these guys working as security guards or for that matter students are rolling in cash to the point that it wouldn't matter if the guns they wanted were more expensive and harder to get? That they wouldn't be more likely to get arrested buying illegally as opposed to walking into a sporting goods store?

Stop worshiping the 2nd Amendment like it was written by God or genuises....... It was written by men who rarely bathed and believed in witches

Pluralism has always been a very good thing in this country. In this case, pluralism favors those opposed to any gun ban. 

Simply put, even though more Americans are in favor of an assault weapons ban than opposed, they're not willing to vote with this as a primary issue. The gun rights people are. That's the difference. 

I'm a good example of it. Even when I was firmly in favor of banning assault rifles (now I'm unsure) it was never a priority issue for me. It still isn't. There are a millions of people like me. But on the other side, though they're a minority, it's a priority issue. And that's why they win. 

The tribunist, always solid stuff... I've got them bookmarked as my source for info.

I did skim the article, glad to know the AR-15 isn't good for hunting, thanks for adding another reason to ban it :thumbup:

While not the ideal hunting weapon, it's GREAT for mass murder!
Obviously.

It says the AR-15 is not good for hunting big game. Not that it isn't good for hunting.

That there are only 2 choices in the poll is part of the problem, I'd say.

If an individual is dissatisfied with the answer to the "why?" they are not due a transference of power in another individuals life.  I don't see why anyone would ever need a vehicle to drive in excess of 200mph but I don't not have the right to forcibly prevent others from buying a super sports car. 

The gun debate generally flies right over this most obvious logical territory and into emotional/reactionary garbage.

So... why do you need a sports car? Why do you need cigarettes?

That there are only 2 choices in the poll is part of the problem, I'd say.

If an individual is dissatisfied with the answer to the "why?" they are not due a transference of power in another individuals life.  I don't see why anyone would ever need a vehicle to drive in excess of 200mph but I don't not have the right to forcibly prevent others from buying a super sports car. 

The gun debate generally flies right over this most obvious logical territory and into emotional/reactionary garbage.

So... why do you need a sports car? Why do you need cigarettes?
Interesting, this automobile thing hasn't come up yet.

Why are full automatic weapons illegal?  Your 2nd Amendment rights are already subjected to public safety.

Actually they aren't illegal for any good reason.  This semi-automatic trigger fires nearly as fast as full auto and is even legal in California. 

Lower magazine capacity seems like a good idea but anyone who seriously plans to kill a bunch of people can go to a gun show the next state over and big up a bunch of high capacity one.

It never said it was a grocery store.  There are instances just about every day where a concealed carrier stopped the actions of someone who intended to commit crimes or harm to someone.
You seem to know something about this topic so I will direct this question to you (I posed it earlier but no one seems to be knowledable enough to answer it)

Refresh my memory, in percentages to total situations, how many active shooter situations have been solved by a CC permit holder (not a law enforcement officer) successfully intervening?

I meant to say full auto.  Why should my 2nd Amendment rights be limited just because you don't like guns?
If you think the 2nd Amendment grants you the right to own a fully automatic rifle you would be in a very small minority, including being at odds with the actual Supreme Court. 

As an owner of a 9mm handgn and 12 gauge tactical shotgun I can see no reason for a civilian to own a assault weapon and would agree with them to be banned.  

Users who are viewing this thread