What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Finding Dory - New Pixar Film (1 Viewer)

I thought it was pretty mediocre as far as Pixar movies go. The animation was fantastic and they did a good job keeping the plot moving, but the characters were pretty thin. 

The animation of that digital short was nuts. The level of detail with sand and feathers was amazing.

We saw it Friday. Its good entertainment for families with a wide range - young kids, middle and adults can all enjoy it. Not surprising that it doesn't live up to Nemo. As is typical these days, the production is more about the effects/animation (which were great) than the story/characters.

Haven't seen it yet -- probably will get it for the grandkids when it comes out on DVD.   I am sure it will be good but it is a shame that every single Disney movie that comes out must have sequels.  Walt Disney was never a big fan of sequels for his feature pictures. He always wanted to go on to new ideas.

It was okay. Looked great.

But it was too frenetic. Audiences need time to catch their breath.

And there's a fine line between endearing and pathetic, Dory was dangerously close to the latter for most of the movie.

And I can handle talking fish, but when saltwater fish survive in fresh water - and worse, a likely chlorine-filled mop bucket - I have to draw the line. Petty, I know.

I enjoyed it.  My family ranked it some where in the middle of the pack of Pixar movies.

For those that were Finding Nemo fans, make sure you wait until the very end of the credits for a fun scene.  

No one in our theater waited besides us and the clean up crew stupidly put on all the lights in the theater.

We saw it Friday. Its good entertainment for families with a wide range - young kids, middle and adults can all enjoy it. Not surprising that it doesn't live up to Nemo. As is typical these days, the production is more about the effects/animation (which were great) than the story/characters.
we saw it yesterday. 9 and 5yos loved it of course, but I agree with you.

still a decent watch, but really lacking the depth of writing that brings out the story AND characters to put it into top tier pixar/animation films. felt like the new characters in particular were all pretty flat and needed much more range/distinctness/silliness/...something. 

that said, loved becky and the seals. also loved sigourney weaver. and of course it was really pretty to look at (although not as pretty as the Piper short- whoa).

I wonder too- and it started to feel this was as I watched- that Dory and her memory loss aren't enough to center a movie... became too repetitive for me- and I like the schtick.

for such a major new character, Hank in particular needed to be

more. would've liked him to be crazy or freakish or at least something where you weren't sure what you were getting with him. he just seemed to be a vehicle- literally- to get dory from point A to Z. but the whales were also too flat

we saw it yesterday. 9 and 5yos loved it of course, but I agree with you.

still a decent watch, but really lacking the depth of writing that brings out the story AND characters to put it into top tier pixar/animation films. felt like the new characters in particular were all pretty flat and needed much more range/distinctness/silliness/...something. 

that said, loved becky and the seals. also loved sigourney weaver. and of course it was really pretty to look at (although not as pretty as the Piper short- whoa).

I wonder too- and it started to feel this was as I watched- that Dory and her memory loss aren't enough to center a movie... became too repetitive for me- and I like the schtick.

for such a major new character, Hank in particular needed to be

more. would've liked him to be crazy or freakish or at least something where you weren't sure what you were getting with him. he just seemed to be a vehicle- literally- to get dory from point A to Z. but the whales were also too flat
Agreed on Hank. At least needed background on what his deal was.

And agreed with everyone about the animation on the Piper short. It was incredible. The sand flat out looked like sand. The time and computer power that had to take had to be immense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got reamed by my wife and two kids for suggesting it wasn't very good, but I couldn't explain why...but the posts above capture what I was trying to say.  Something was missing but I couldn't pinpoint it, but it definitely was too fast-paced, not enough character depth, and the whole "woe is me" thing was killing me....but I mean, it wasn't garbage.  Also I could've been just tired from watching 20 minutes of terrible previews and commercials.

The animation of that digital short was nuts. The level of detail with sand and feathers was amazing.
that was Piper. animation was so good that Dory looked like 1990s Disney by comparison.
a lot of friends from gradschool ended up going into computer animation... I remember them saying the naturalistic stuff like sand, water and grass was pretty tough to get just right. that and mass movement so that it wasn't all looking the same (they raved about the Starship Troopers aliens when it came out) Piper absolutely killed it- just stunning. maybe even too much... I might prefer more animated looking animation, if that makes sense.

Took the kids Friday.  Pixar films lately seem to be pretty dark at parts, including this one.  But overall it was decent.

My 11 year old daughter and I went today. We both liked it. It uses the same formula you see in all Pixar movies, but it was a lot of good family fun.

The opening short Piper was out of the world, amazing with its animation.

I agree with most here. Everybody in my family liked it, but didn't think it was great. I never expected it to be as good as the original (which is one of my favorites), so I was still glad we went to see it. 

I definitely liked it more towards the end - the last quarter of the movie really was a good mix of emotion, action, and humor. 

And yeah, Piper was awesome. I'm always amazed at how they can create such a visually and emotionally satisfying 6 minutes.  It was much better than the last one I remember (the Hawaiian Islands one). 

Oh really?

Pixar movies fall into two categories for me - before and after Joe Ranft's death in 2005. The last project he worked on was Cars. Perhaps not coincidentally, that was approximately when Disney bought Pixar.

After that, I've found their films to be just okay in general with sporadic bits of "wow" but also a lot of awfulness. Cars 2 was an abomination.

I didn't like it. I saw it on IMAX 3D... didn't help. Dory was annoying, I didn't care much for any of the characters. The only funny part was the otters. But the Piper short was great.

It was way too stupid.  Also a whale shark is a shark not a whale, and thus would not speak whale.  Kids liked it though and we had a fun afternoon so whatevs.  

Users who are viewing this thread