What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Matthews - WR PHI - Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

PRAE

Footballguy
Was offered Matthews in a trade recently which got me thinking.  I did some searching here on the board and he seems to be a guy there isn't much of an opinion/buzz on.  What am I missing?  He has size (6'3" 212)...is young (23) and in his second year put up 85 catches for almost 1,000 yards and 8 TDs on 128 targets.  Pretty similar stats to a guy like Brandin Cooks (84rec, 1138yds, 9tds on 129 targets), but Cooks seems to be consistently ranked a lot higher.  Is it all situation?  I just thought he might be a good guy to discuss and get dynasty opinions on.  

He's not that prototypical "X" receiver that people want him to be.  Philly is moving to a less high powered offense and he is remaining in the slot.  I see him as a WR3 with WR2 upside, and I'm a homer.

He's not that prototypical "X" receiver that people want him to be.  Philly is moving to a less high powered offense and he is remaining in the slot.  I see him as a WR3 with WR2 upside, and I'm a homer.
I think if you can get him as your WR3, you're sitting really pretty. He certainly has WR2 upside and has shown he can produce at that level.

I think if you can get him as your WR3, you're sitting really pretty. He certainly has WR2 upside and has shown he can produce at that level.
Don't necessarily think I can get him at WR3, but that's where I would rank him.  Probably won't draft him.  Going from Kelly's fast paced offense to a new KC style offense with Peterson as the HC shoots him down a few pegs to me at least.

Don't necessarily think I can get him at WR3, but that's where I would rank him.  Probably won't draft him.  Going from Kelly's fast paced offense to a new KC style offense with Peterson as the HC shoots him down a few pegs to me at least.
According to the ADP on Fantasy Football Calc, he's going off the board in PPR leagues at 5.04, which puts him at WR25.

How many TDs have Chiefs WRs caught under Petersons offensive coaching? 

How many Chiefs WRs went over 1000 yards under Peterson?

How many TD passes did Alex Smith throw underPeterson?

Point being Peterson sucks as an OC and probably will be worse as a HC. The money play is the Philly running game but most definitely NOT the passing game with a rookie qb and crap players at almost every skill position on offense.

31 other teams to find players from.if someone offered you a milkshake and two cheeseburgers off the dollar menu Id jump all over that as a trade..seems fair enough for J. Matthews..

Last edited by a moderator:
How many TDs have Chiefs WRs caught under Petersons offensive coaching? 

Point being Peterson sucks as an OC and probably will be worse as a HC. The money play is the Philly running game but most definitely NOT the passing game with a rookie qb and crap players at almost every skill position on offense.

31 other teams to find players from.if someone offered you a milkshake and two cheeseburgers off the dollar menu Id jump all over that as a trade..seems fair enough for J. Matthews..
:lmao:  So much wrong with this post. Jut to clarify, you think an OC under Reid makes decisions and calls plays? Also, do you know that Childress was likely as influential as Pederson in regards to offensive input?  Let's use you "logic" and turn it on it's head, where did the #1WR on the Chiefs end up last year overall? His name was Maclin and he finished as WR15 overall. Who do you think is the #1WR on the Eagles?

How manin TDs have Chiefs WRs caught under Petersons offensive coaching? 

Reid still called the plays last year IN KC.

Now, Pederson IS a reid disciple wo a doubt....

So what are people thinking about Matthews now?  Looking over the play log for the first half the distribution of run/pass plays looked pretty even and there really isn't much more to throw to in Philly.  I'm cautiously optimistic about Matthews for this year given his current ADP.

With so few viable options in that passing game, I think Matthews/Ertz can be Maclin/Kelce version 2.0 in terms of dominating targets. The only question is how many times Bradford and Co. will be throwing the ball in a much slower-paced offense.

My concern would be Wentz coming in later in the year. I also don't think Matthews makes as much sense without Kelly around. I see a lot of use of all 3 TEs and RBs and the WR target leader is up in the air IMO.

Interesting.  I keep hearing the "Kelly concern" but I don't totally understand it.  There are 31 other teams who don't have Chip Kelly and they manage to get their #1 WRs respectable numbers in most occasions.  Now, the 3 TE sets are a little more concerning to me because if you're not on the field you aren't going to get any points.  I'm also slightly concerned about the Wentz factor but that would need to come on a Bradford injury (and yes, this isn't an entirely difficult situation to imagine), but I find Bradford's injuries to be really fluky.

Maybe a little too rosy of a picture still.  I'm debating...

With the sudden trade of Bradford I'm not sure this helps Matthews' situation.  Maybe the Wentz/Daniels pair will target him more in the slot but this went from value to the toilet quickly IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread