What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Friends that get really angry when talking politics? (1 Viewer)

jwb

Footballguy
When did this start becoming a thing?

I don't mean getting a little passionate about "your side" or polite debate. I'm talking about people who get red-faced, vein-poppingly angry and insulting over it. I'm starting to see this more and more.

My neighbor is like this. Great guy otherwise, but retired, and watches Fox News all day. He's irrational when anything political comes up, and gets extremely angry over it. And just mention the word Hillary around him now, and he goes off. I encountered a guy at a BBQ last year who did the same thing - just red-faced, aggressively mad over Obamacare. 

It's not limited to conservatives. I have a liberal friend who's a hardcore Bernie guy, and he's the same way - angry. His tone is not quite as aggressive - it's more dismissive (akin to "if you don't agree, then you're just too stupid to vote".) But it's no less irritating.

I don't really like talking politics, or more accurately, what it's become. And it's almost inevitable that it will come up in any gathering. My liberal friend is coming over next week for a BBQ, and we didn't invite my neighbor above, as it would be an explosive, day-ruining combination. I admit the fun answer is to invite them both, give them beer and watch, but really, the more likely scenario is I will have to ask one of them to leave, and ruin my relationship with him.

To you people who get that angry, I have to ask - "why?" Why do you get that way?    

And anyone else have negative experiences with this? 

Those type of people will age quickly. They already have mental problems simply because they are that hardcore about something they have absolutely no control over.

Generally as soon as anyone started discussing politics or religion, I keep my mouth shut and attempt to distance myself from the conversation whenever possible.  I do not have experience with the people you are talking about, mostly because (1) they don't know my political beliefs because I don't talk about them or (2) I try to avoid people who constantly talk politics.  GL

Generally as soon as anyone started discussing politics or religion, I keep my mouth shut and attempt to distance myself from the conversation whenever possible.  I do not have experience with the people you are talking about, mostly because (1) they don't know my political beliefs because I don't talk about them or (2) I try to avoid people who constantly talk politics.  GL
This exactly.

Think of it like passionate sports rivalries.  Bears vs Lions.  Yankees vs Bosox.  Ohio State vs Michigan.  Politics have devolved into this (on purpose by the political parties).  The more passion you can whip up in your base, the more money that will flow to you.  Yeah, it's about the money.

Also, it use to be if you obtained more information about an issue and changed your mind, you would be "welcomed" into the fold.  Today, if you ever even held a thought in opposition, or not passionate enough about an issue, even if you change your opinion to the "correct" answer, you will not be forgiven for not ALWAYS holding the "correct" opinion.  You also have to put up with the inevitable victory lap, ball spiked in your face, "You are such an idiot for ever thinking that way, now go back under your rock" taunt, that people feel they need to be resolute in their stances.

Now, I may be totally wrong about this, and may change my opinion on this given more information.  But will you ever let me live it down that I ever thought this way?

I don't think this is anything new. I was always raised to avoid as much as possible politics and religion, as those are 2 very personal things, and as such opposing viewpoints/telling someone they're wrong/etc can get misconstrued and make others offended exceptionally easily.

You know what I do? I treat people like they're telephones. If I meet somebody who I don't think likes me I just say to myself 'Bob, this one's out of order. Just hang up and try again'

His tone is not quite as aggressive - it's more dismissive (akin to "if you don't agree, then you're just too stupid to vote".) 
This is me, though I do try to fight through it. I've done my best to understand the rationale of a Trump voter, for example. Surely there has to be something I'm missing. I haven't found it yet. And the vast majority of Trump voters I've encountered are...well, like I said, I'm trying to fight the inclination to say they're all stupid. But they're all stupid. :shrug:  

My own family. Last fall my sister got that way towards me defending the bigot Kim Davis and basically saying what the Supreme Court says on an issue doesn't matter. 

Then just a couple of weeks ago went vacationing with my brother. He decides he's going to watch 2 hours straight of Orlando shooter coverage. He just totally goes off the deep end when the news caster says "Donald Trump's extremist views".  Having already had the bad experience with my sister I just sat there and said nothing. Then later when everyone else is in bed and trying to watch the nba finals he just starts attacking me about gun control and bunch of other stuff. 

Screw politics. Can't even take a vacation and get away from it. 

Our group has a rule. If someone starts talking politics, we all shout "OBAMA!OBAMA!OBAMA!" Then we all take a drink. :banned: :suds:

We get drunk a lot......

Last edited by a moderator:
Facebook or FFA are one thing, but I can't say I've ever come across anyone in real life that has actually gotten angry when discussing politics.  One of my close family members and another buddy that I see all the time are both 100% opposite of me on every political issue, and I can't recall us ever having even a hint of anger or resentment towards each other for it.

TJ said it best.

:goodposting:  If you find yourself in an irrational political discussion with anyone, its your own fault.

My liberal friend is coming over next week for a BBQ, and we didn't invite my neighbor above, as it would be an explosive, day-ruining combination. I admit the fun answer is to invite them both, give them beer and watch, but really, the more likely scenario is I will have to ask one of them to leave, and ruin my relationship with him.

So you shun the conservative while you give the libtard grilled meat and beer.  typical.   Just ####### TYPICAL.     It's getting to where saying you oppose Obamacare or maybe suggesting that we should have some border control is a scarlett letter, WAKE UP PEOPLE.   JUST BECAUSE I PUNCH MOSLEMS ON THE TRAIN AND PINE FOR THE DAYS WHEN WE COULD DRAG SOME ####### BEHIND A TRUCK DOESN'T MEAN I AM NOT A GOOD PERSON.    Obama has ruined this country beyond repair.   

ENJOY YOUR ####### BBQ YOU PANSY ##### ###### #####

Yeah I agree it's the politicization of America, it's left & right. I blame cable tv, modern campaigns and the Internet. I come here to spout off, I never put politics above friendship or even a good acquaintance.

I'm pretty sure if you have a political sticker on your car, i won't get along with you....... :unsure:

It has always been this way. Remember my folks telling me about a dinner party they had before the 1960 election with some Nixon and JFK supporters screaming at each other and almost coming to blows.

its a shame. we should be able to discuss it rationally.  we complain about congress not being able to compromise, yet a lot of us are the same way with friends, neighbors, etc.  only thing i try to do is understand their POV and ask them why they feel a certain way.  some can explain it and i respect that.  some can't and i don't respect that.

Both far sides of the spectrum get angry when arguing politics.  Anecdotally, I almost always can boil their ire down to; for the Right wingers..... it's racial apprehension/disdain that probably originated in the trauma from their(or their parents) White Flights in the 60s......for the Left wingers.....it's disdain for organized religion.  

Think of it like passionate sports rivalries.  Bears vs Lions.  Yankees vs Bosox.  Ohio State vs Michigan.  Politics have devolved into this (on purpose by the political parties).  The more passion you can whip up in your base, the more money that will flow to you.  Yeah, it's about the money.

Also, it use to be if you obtained more information about an issue and changed your mind, you would be "welcomed" into the fold.  Today, if you ever even held a thought in opposition, or not passionate enough about an issue, even if you change your opinion to the "correct" answer, you will not be forgiven for not ALWAYS holding the "correct" opinion.  You also have to put up with the inevitable victory lap, ball spiked in your face, "You are such an idiot for ever thinking that way, now go back under your rock" taunt, that people feel they need to be resolute in their stances.

Now, I may be totally wrong about this, and may change my opinion on this given more information.  But will you ever let me live it down that I ever thought this way?
Maybe I'm just ignorant to it, but when did this one become a thing? Always associated Bears with Packers

It has always been this way. Remember my folks telling me about a dinner party they had before the 1960 election with some Nixon and JFK supporters screaming at each other and almost coming to blows.
I used to think this way - I've heard the same type of story from a Grandparent who didn't like FDR, etc.

But I never saw it myself until fairly recently (say in the last 3 years or so), and it's become angrier and angrier. 

It's also non-avoidable. Yes, we were all taught "talking about religion and politics is a no no", but that's flown out the window. Now when i say "politics", I mean issues too - gun control, black lives matter, confederate flag, serving gays, etc. It's just unavoidable that these topics won't come up in almost any social setting, and it can be like a match to gasoline.  

So you shun the conservative while you give the libtard grilled meat and beer.  typical.   Just ####### TYPICAL.     It's getting to where saying you oppose Obamacare or maybe suggesting that we should have some border control is a scarlett letter, WAKE UP PEOPLE.   JUST BECAUSE I PUNCH MOSLEMS ON THE TRAIN AND PINE FOR THE DAYS WHEN WE COULD DRAG SOME ####### BEHIND A TRUCK DOESN'T MEAN I AM NOT A GOOD PERSON.    Obama has ruined this country beyond repair.   

ENJOY YOUR ####### BBQ YOU PANSY ##### ###### #####
:lmao:

Well, I didn't invite the lib to play golf with my neighbor and I. He doesn't get up early enough anyway.

My dad watches fox news all day.  Not the happiest guy in the world.   I never talk to him about politics.  He's just itching to but I've learned my lesson.   

I seriously stopped talking politics and religion with just about everyone a long time ago. I do comment on it if my clients bring it up (and I stay impartial and in the middle pretty much all the time unless I know they are a bleeding heart liberal or Right Winger LOL)

Not worth the energy nor aggravation. 

I seriously stopped talking politics and religion with just about everyone a long time ago. I do comment on it if my clients bring it up (and I stay impartial and in the middle pretty much all the time unless I know they are a bleeding heart liberal or Right Winger LOL)

Not worth the energy nor aggravation. 
My clients seem to always bring it up,  most complaining about Obama, Hillary, etc.  Since I agree with them it is easy conversation.  I never bring it up myself.  I do have a couple very left wing clients and I just nod and agree when they bring up politics.

My clients seem to always bring it up,  most complaining about Obama, Hillary, etc.  Since I agree with them it is easy conversation.  I never bring it up myself.  I do have a couple very left wing clients and I just nod and agree when they bring up politics.
Same here. If I agree, I agree with them. If I disagree....I nod and agree LOL. Gotta walk the fine line with clients. 

I never put politics above friendship or even a good acquaintance.
Me either.  I called houses and campaigned on behalf of a good friend that was running for office.  Dude's political views are completely opposite mine.  Friends >>>>>>>> Politics.

Hell, I'd say most of my friends hold opposite political views from me.  Who cares?

With that said, I think I may have just lost a friend over the Brexit.  This guy was ruthlessly and endlessly bashing Leave voters on Facebook, and his posts were getting a lot of response from like-minded people.  So I thought, "What the hell?  Somebody has to have the balls to take a contrary position."  I weighed in with a merit-based argument completely void of personal attacks, but that certainly wasn't the case for the responses I received.  I responded to their critiques and at the end of the whole exchange I sent the guy a private message saying, "No hard feelings.  I never take politics personally."  Guy never responded.  Oh well. 

Me either.  I called houses and campaigned on behalf of a good friend that was running for office.  Dude's political views are completely opposite mine.  Friends >>>>>>>> Politics.

Hell, I'd say most of my friends hold opposite political views from me.  Who cares?

With that said, I think I may have just lost a friend over the Brexit.  This guy was ruthlessly and endlessly bashing Leave voters on Facebook, and his posts were getting a lot of response from like-minded people.  So I thought, "What the hell?  Somebody has to have the balls to take a contrary position."  I weighed in with a merit-based argument completely void of personal attacks, but that certainly wasn't the case for the responses I received.  I responded to their critiques and at the end of the whole exchange I sent the guy a private message saying, "No hard feelings.  I never take politics personally."  Guy never responded.  Oh well. 
Facebook is wretched.  I've lost a lot of respect for friends and family because they use Facebook as a political pulpit.  Most of them aren't looking for reasoned discussion; rather, a "totally agree" circle jerk.  Whenever I try to engage in a debate, it's received as being argumentative and "trying to give them a hard time."

I have a hard enough time being friends with anybody, let alone someone who would get upset talking about politics.

Yeah I agree it's the politicization of America, it's left & right. I blame cable tv, modern campaigns and the Internet. I come here to spout off, I never put politics above friendship or even a good acquaintance.
Modern campaigns are a huge problem IMO.  They should cut out tax write offs for political contributions.  Most of that money ends up going back to the networks anyways.  No wonder the media hates Trump, he isn't buying commercials.  Is there anything worse than political commercials?  I think I lost IQ points during Rick Scott's reelection campaign.   Tax write-offs for political donations should be made illegal solely on the principal that the commercials are terrible.

Modern campaigns are a huge problem IMO.  They should cut out tax write offs for political contributions.  Most of that money ends up going back to the networks anyways.  No wonder the media hates Trump, he isn't buying commercials.  Is there anything worse than political commercials?  I think I lost IQ points during Rick Scott's reelection campaign.   Tax write-offs for political donations should be made illegal solely on the principal that the commercials are terrible.
http://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-deductions-and-credits-2/are-your-political-campaign-contributions-tax-deductible-11380/

Users who are viewing this thread