What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andrew Luck signs biggest contract in NFL history (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16619414/andrew-luck-signs-extension-indianapolis-colts

....and from Rotoworld

Updating a previous item, Andrew Luck's five-year extension through 2021 makes him the highest-paid player in NFL history.
Luck gets $75 million over the first three years of the deal and "slightly less" over the final two. Prior to Luck signing, Joe Flacco paced the market at $22.1 million per year. Luck blows that out of the water. With the salary cap rising each of the past couple years and continuing to swell, it made it easy for the Colts to get this done. T.Y. Hilton is also under contract for the next five years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luck had 1 more year left on rookie deal. Signed 5 year extension.

Schefter reporting it as 6 years 139 Mil / 87 Mil guaranteed.

Luck had 1 more year left on rookie deal. Signed 5 year extension.

Schefter reporting it as 6 years 139 Mil / 87 Mil guaranteed.
Probably a bargain when we look at it after a few years.  The cap keeps rising every year.

The rising cap recently made this effectively a cheaper deal in terms of resources allocated than Drew Brees several years ago when he clipped $20. So even with 60% being guaranteed, this was a huge deal for the Colts.  Boy, they sure have been "LUCKy" in terms of timing with this guy.

which he has done already with almost no line protection. 
How often? 

He's put up massive compiler numbers, and played badly last year. 

He needs to be better than he has been.  He needs to be Rodgers-Brees-Brady.

He hasn't  been.  This is a contract for what they expect,  no what he's been. 

How often? 

He's put up massive compiler numbers, and played badly last year. 

He needs to be better than he has been.  He needs to be Rodgers-Brees-Brady.

He hasn't  been.  This is a contract for what they expect,  no what he's been. 
Disagree.. I think you have a lot of "recency" in your Andrew Luck memory banks about his bad year last year. He was hurt all year last year. More than let on and he had no protection.

When he was, what?, 23-24, even at that BABY age, there was  a stretch about two years ago where he pretty much single-handedly won about 4 out of 5 games in a row. He hasn't come close to his prime and certainly wasn't then but he was straight out carrying that team and looked every bit the part of if you took prototype plans to a QB factory and said everybody wants one of these, it was Andrew Luck.  I mean, I'm not his biggest fan so I'm not band-wagoning the guy for the sake of fandom but when the guy is healthy, at his age, his intellect for the game, he's easily the best thing to set a measure to.  The Colts have been remarkably over-achieving with him and it's due largely to HIM.

A guy like Russell Wilson is terrific but I have no doubt you put Wilson on the Colts and put Luck on the Seahawks and people would clearly be able to see and point to the "it" that makes Luck the guy you want regardless of team build, talent, etc.   

? ? Nothing wrong with the deal.  

It's what he should get.  And they can afford him because they have so few other good players to pay.  So,  they have that going for them,  which is nice.  

And they should have signed him. 

People start throwing out words like 'bargain' and I want to take a closer look.  JJ Watt is a bargain.  Will Luck provide that kind of value? 

His contract shouldn't be a problem,  as long as he plays at a HOF level. That's a tall order. 

Disagree.. I think you have a lot of "recency" in your Andrew Luck memory banks about his bad year last year. He was hurt all year last year. More than let on and he had no protection.

When he was, what?, 23-24, even at that BABY age, there was  a stretch about two years ago where he pretty much single-handedly won about 4 out of 5 games in a row. He hasn't come close to his prime and certainly wasn't then but he was straight out carrying that team and looked every bit the part of if you took prototype plans to a QB factory and said everybody wants one of these, it was Andrew Luck.  I mean, I'm not his biggest fan so I'm not band-wagoning the guy for the sake of fandom but when the guy is healthy, at his age, his intellect for the game, he's easily the best thing to set a measure to.  The Colts have been remarkably over-achieving with him and it's due largely to HIM.

A guy like Russell Wilson is terrific but I have no doubt you put Wilson on the Colts and put Luck on the Seahawks and people would clearly be able to see and point to the "it" that makes Luck the guy you want regardless of team build, talent, etc.   
The sponsor of THIS PAGE disagrees

Interesting conversation right now on nfl radio that the next record setting qb contract might be Matthew Stafford or Blake bortles.  It won't be the older qbs.  The younger elite qbs are all signed.  And no team has let their franchise qb go in free agency without a stud backup in place.  So it could be like a Dalton situation where they have to pay him like he's elite when he's really just very good because what else can they do. 

So if the Colts had waited to extend him,  they might have had to sign him after Stafford got the contract he just did - and listened to the agent say look how much money Matt Stafford just got,  we obviously need to beat that deal by a lot. 

Give me Russell Wilson all day. The guy is a winner no matter what team you put him on.

Interesting conversation right now on nfl radio that the next record setting qb contract might be Matthew Stafford or Blake bortles.  It won't be the older qbs.  The younger elite qbs are all signed.  And no team has let their franchise qb go in free agency without a stud backup in place.  So it could be like a Dalton situation where they have to pay him like he's elite when he's really just very good because what else can they do. 

So if the Colts had waited to extend him,  they might have had to sign him after Stafford got the contract he just did - and listened to the agent say look how much money Matt Stafford just got,  we obviously need to beat that deal by a lot. 
It'll be Cousins. Unless he reverts back to the Cousins of old, the Redskins will have no choice but to pay him good money to keep him.

It'll be Cousins. Unless he reverts back to the Cousins of old, the Redskins will have no choice but to pay him good money to keep him.
Unfortunately (as a skins fan), you're right.  I mean, I hope he repeats and does better than he did last year - but then with two years of 4,200+ yards and mid 30s TDs (rushing included), he's going to be getting top end money.

Unfortunately (as a skins fan), you're right.  I mean, I hope he repeats and does better than he did last year - but then with two years of 4,200+ yards and mid 30s TDs (rushing included), he's going to be getting top end money.
Oh  yeah, as a fellow Skins fan, I would love nothing more than a repeat of last season for him. If he does, then sure pay the man. But even if he has a decent year and isn't quite as good as 2015, they're still going to have to pay him. It's not like there are any better options out there.

Based on the one team he's been "put on"...which has had an all-world defense? lol
Nope. Watching games, the guy is a winner. He makes plays out of nothing. When I'm rooting for a team he's going against, I'm nervous until the clock is zero. Luck doesn't do that for me.

I don't hate Luck but he hasn't produced, if he came in the league as a 2nd round pick no one would be talking about him.

Way under what I thought he would get. 27 is where I was guessing with how the cap was and how his current total will be passed by in a year or two.

The sponsor of THIS PAGE disagrees
everyone can have their opinion. I know others prefer Wilson. It's just my one opinion and the good thing is they are both young enough to where we might very well get the opportunity to see the roles reversed during their careers and see the results. 

I will say, however, Wilson has a stronger case at this point in time because he has achieved the goal of the NFL team but still, if today I were granted an expansion team and could have either, I wouldn't think twice of selecting Luck.

Based on the one team he's been "put on"...which has had an all-world defense? lol
I do agree with metoo in the sense that he seems to elevate the teams he is on but I agree with you that he sure got a good spot and a lot of luxury and that was my point from earlier.  The path, so far, has been much easier for Wilson than Luck and Luck has been extremely impressive when healthy.  I'll never take it away from Wilson that he did it and he won the clutch games, etc, but at the same time, I think if Luck ever gets anywhere near that type of complete team around him, we will talk of him as dominant as Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc.  Once he is able to dictate what he does and has help from defense, etc, I think we will se another gear in this guy's game.

Could not disagree with this more. Wilson >> Luck in their careers to date. Luck has work to do to get into Wilson's tier.

ETA: Name one thing that Luck is better at than Wilson.

I'm on the Luck is behind Newton and Wilson train. But the Colts had to sign him to a kind of deal like this. Now they need to get rid of Grigson or they won't go anywhere even with Luck.

It's impossible to say really at this point but as a west coaster I think Wilson has had so much luck on his side to win quite a few games where he just lobs up a terrible pass and somehow the wr comes down with it.  I Don't call that skill...he's been lucky a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKOLqM-LnA0

case and point.

Shockingly I actually think the seattle wr's are an underated group and the Indy wr's are pretty much garbage.  

It's impossible to say really at this point but as a west coaster I think Wilson has had so much luck on his side to win quite a few games where he just lobs up a terrible pass and somehow the wr comes down with it.  I Don't call that skill...he's been lucky a lot.
:rolleyes:

OK, sure, Wilson has been lucky. So he is not only more skilled than Luck, he is also luckier than Luck.

The Seahawks were also fortunate to not tank to get Luck.

Got all that extra money to make an actual team  :bag:

You people are sheep. You are probably the same ones that #####ed about the Cam Newton deal. Could you imagine if Luck walked or even hit free agency? This thread would resemble something out of the Josh Gordon/Christine Micheal playbook. The only, ONLY thing scary about this deal was his injury last year. Luck becoming the highest paid QB is the biggest no brainer move in perhaps the history of the league. I doubt you'd find any exec not in the Browns front office to disagree with me.

You people are sheep. You are probably the same ones that #####ed about the Cam Newton deal. Could you imagine if Luck walked or even hit free agency? This thread would resemble something out of the Josh Gordon/Christine Micheal playbook. The only, ONLY thing scary about this deal was his injury last year. Luck becoming the highest paid QB is the biggest no brainer move in perhaps the history of the league. I doubt you'd find any exec not in the Browns front office to disagree with me.
Nice strawman. Which posters in this thread have said this deal is a bad deal?

Was wondering the same thing. Everyone knows he was getting this from someone, might as well be his own team. Won't even look that bad in a few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKOLqM-LnA0

case and point.

Shockingly I actually think the seattle wr's are an underated group and the Indy wr's are pretty much garbage.  
Pretty damn accurate pass in the clutch herehttp://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000460283/NFC-Championship-Can-t-Miss-Play-Kearse-game-winning-TD

Luck benefits from having that extra year to do his contract, imo.  If Russell was a FA next year, his deal would surpass Luck's.  Doesn't really matter whose better, both are great - timing is everything.

I agree that Wilson is better than Luck. 

I also agree that the Colts were smart to make this deal.  You lock a guy like Luck up for a long time, since his upside is still tremendous.  He needs to bring the turnovers way down though before we can put him in the first or even second tier of NFL quarterbacks.  Yes, he was banged up all last season, but he still made some throws that were inexplicably bad. 

The Colts front office needs to do a much better job at getting a good line to protect him, regardless. 

Luck benefits from having that extra year to do his contract, imo.  If Russell was a FA next year, his deal would surpass Luck's.  Doesn't really matter whose better, both are great - timing is everything.
No question. 

Look at Carr and Teddy. If Carr's deal gets done 1st, because he's a 2nd rounder, Teddy will probably get a bigger deal.  Does Teddy deserve a better deal? 

Sooner you sign your studs, the better. 

I'm not saying wilson isn't a good qb.  I just think that if wilson doesn't complete that lucky pass vs. NE or some of the other passes in key wins (like the packer hail mary) this conversation isn't even happening. 

Like Luck, Wilson has looked very ugly in a lot of games.  Do i think either of them are bad...of course not.  Do i think they are having some growing pains, absolutely.  Do i know which one is better at this point...probably not, although i lean luck because he is their offence.

I'm not saying wilson isn't a good qb.  I just think that if wilson doesn't complete that lucky pass vs. NE or some of the other passes in key wins (like the packer hail mary) this conversation isn't even happening. 

Like Luck, Wilson has looked very ugly in a lot of games.  Do i think either of them are bad...of course not.  Do i think they are having some growing pains, absolutely.  Do i know which one is better at this point...probably not, although i lean luck because he is their offence.
Wilson was basically the Seahawks offense last year cause Lynch was hurt for much of it and look what he did. He accounted for over 25% of their rushing numbers, enabling them to finish 3rd in rushing instead of in the bottom 10, and his passing numbers were great, and unlike Luck, he didn't throw in a ton of picks to go with them.  Wilson has finished top 5 in yards per attempt in three of his four NFL seasons, and he was 7th the other season; he is the real deal. 

Wilson was basically the Seahawks offense last year cause Lynch was hurt for much of it and look what he did. He accounted for over 25% of their rushing numbers, enabling them to finish 3rd in rushing instead of in the bottom 10, and his passing numbers were great, and unlike Luck, he didn't throw in a ton of picks to go with them.  Wilson has finished top 5 in yards per attempt in three of his four NFL seasons, and he was 7th the other season; he is the real deal. 
are you saying luck isn't the real deal?  Once again, no where in my post, did i say that wilson wasn't the real deal

I'm not impressed by rushing stats for a qb, as they age, they are going to have to stand in the pocket and throw the ball

are you saying luck isn't the real deal?  Once again, no where in my post, did i say that wilson wasn't the real deal

I'm not impressed by rushing stats for a qb, as they age, they are going to have to stand in the pocket and throw the ball
I didn't say that Luck wasn't the real deal, nor did I imply that you said Wilson isn't. 

As for rushing, do you watch a lot of Seattle's games. Many of Wilson's runs are not by design; it is him making something out what could have been nothing or a loss.  As for how well that ages, who cares?  We'll worry about that in five years.  I think the amount of hits Luck takes is more worrisome than Wilson running the ball, especially since Wilson is really good at not taking big hits on those runs; he gets down at just the right time to avoid taking the big hit. 

Wilson is already better than Luck (and most others) at standing in the pocket and throwing the ball. From ESPN:

118.6 -- Wilson's passer rating on throws from inside the pocket. Not only was that the top mark among this year's group, but no quarterback in the past three seasons has posted a higher number. Wilson completed 72.8 percent of his passes, averaged 8.75 yards per attempt and tossed 31 touchdowns against seven interceptions when he stayed in the pocket.

I kind of get your point, but I'm impressed by QBs who make plays.  When they're able to run and their running helps win games, that's impressive.  OTOH, I don't know if I give the player much too more money because he can run.  

Users who are viewing this thread