What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Chad ‘Swag’ Kelly, Colts (1 Viewer)

Am I the only one who doesn’t see this as a huge deal? Definitely needs to curb his drinking if he gets that trashed but it doesn’t seem malicious according to reports.
Absent anything else, this probably wouldn't be a huge deal.  Given Kelly's past troubles with the law, especially with alcohol involved, it's certainly a bigger red flag than your average player.  

Am I the only one who doesn’t see this as a huge deal? Definitely needs to curb his drinking if he gets that trashed but it doesn’t seem malicious according to reports.
Quick, name all the stud professional athletes who were charged with trespassing at 1 in the morning while they were (presumably) intoxicated beyond coherency.

Apparently if you watch the videos this was one heck of a party with rappers on a stage, etc....and there was an underlying "cocaine" theme as people were encouraged to dress up like somebody that had issues with cocaine....Bobby Brown, etc.....or characters like John "Snow"....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that I think several things about this: 

• Simply drunkenly entering a residence is bad and should carry legal punishment, but nothing too harsh
  • Repeat offenses, then there's an issue
  • It sounds like the young man has had problems in the past, and Tasker's right, this is troubling
  • [scooter]'s right, too, this lets his team, coaches, staff, and organization down, and you don't see it happening too often to any athlete competing for a position, though that's sort of a blanket statement. It's not a good look, regardless.

Obviously Kelly has to bear the responsibility for this, but what about all of his teammates who were presumably at the party??  Was anyone "chaperoning" to make sure that no one got out of hand?  Watching each other's backs?  Didn't anyone offer to take him home?  Etc.

Oddly enough, I don’t think it matters in the eyes of the law.  Am I correct?  

But I get your point.  I guess we don’t know yet if he was actually endangering anyone by driving.  
It's extremely important in the eyes of the law. In order to get an OWI you need to have keys in the ignition. I don't believe the car has to be running, just keys in the ignition. Coming from the husband of a former criminal defense attorney. 

It's not a crime to be drunk, high, impaired while sitting in a parked car

I always joked with my wife if I was ever impaired and pulled over I would pull over to the side of the road, throw my keys, and run away. I would have plausible deniability that I was the one driving the car. She rolls her eyes at me.

Also, a fun tip- if the cop ever asks you a weird question you just answer with "am I obligated to answer that question?"  The answer is "no" unless you are under arrest. Police cannot ask you anything not directly related to why they stopped you (don't need to know where you are coming from, where you are going, etc)

It's extremely important in the eyes of the law. In order to get an OWI you need to have keys in the ignition. I don't believe the car has to be running, just keys in the ignition. Coming from the husband of a former criminal defense attorney. 

I always joked with my wife if I was ever impaired and pulled over I would pull over to the side of the road, throw my keys, and run away. I would have plausible deniability that I was the one driving the car. She rolls her eyes at me.

Also, a fun tip- if the cop ever asks you a weird question you just answer with "am I obligated to answer that question?"  The answer is "no" unless you are under arrest. Police cannot ask you anything not directly related to why they stopped you (don't need to know where you are coming from, where you are going, etc)

That just seems to be asking for trouble.

Also as for the DUI, not sure if it's different in the states but in Canada you can get a DUI if you are under the influence and the keys are even in the car.  Sleeping in the backseat while drunk and the keys in your pocket can get you one.

Obviously Kelly has to bear the responsibility for this, but what about all of his teammates who were presumably at the party??  Was anyone "chaperoning" to make sure that no one got out of hand?  Watching each other's backs?  Didn't anyone offer to take him home?  Etc.

They were too busy partying dressed out as their favorite cocaine-themed character.

The team is incohesive, underacheiving, and uncaring.  Might be a good time to burn it down and start over with some vets and young guys who give a damn.

You think these grown adults should be "chaperoning" each other?  :lmao:

Apparently if you watch the videos this was one heck of a party with rappers on a stage, etc....and there was an underlying "cocaine" theme as people were encouraged to dress up like somebody that had issues with cocaine....Bobby Brown, etc.....or characters like John "Snow"....
sounds like it had everything except designated drivers

Pretty sure there are states where you can get a dui even if the keys aren’t in the ignition. 

But that’s not what this is about seeing as he didn’t get charged for a dui I believe. 

You think these grown adults should be "chaperoning" each other?  :lmao:
That's why I put it in quotes.  What I meant was, with the way the league is these days I would think that guys would be watching out for each other in order to avoid these types of situations.

Am I too old?  Since when is 'cocaine' a party theme?

I had a friend do something similar several times. He grew up in the end, but those were some bad years.  
A fraternity brother of mine did it a couple of times too.  He would lose his bearings when really drunk.  If everyone else he was with was drunk and lost track of him, he would wind up somewhere he shouldn't be, most likely passed out.

He was a good guy otherwise, though.  He didn't have anything like the history that Kelly has.

A fraternity brother of mine did it a couple of times too.  He would lose his bearings when really drunk.  If everyone else he was with was drunk and lost track of him, he would wind up somewhere he shouldn't be, most likely passed out.

He was a good guy otherwise, though.  He didn't have anything like the history that Kelly has.
Yeah, Kelly sounds like a case. My friend was a good guy, too, it was just worrisome when he'd do that.  

Broncos cornerback Chris Harris tweeted that it was not a cocaine-themed party.

Lmao y’all gotta stop with Fake news . Cowboy western theme party and We have done this since I’ve been here .

— Chris Harris (@ChrisHarrisJr) October 23, 2018
Many pictures and videos posted on social media show people at the party dressed as cowboys.
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/10/23/broncos-backup-quarterback-chad-kelly-arrested/

maybe he got rufied by a fan... or mixed (legal) meds by accident, he can only hope.

everyone enjoying the win @ zona more than they should.  @ arrowhead next week.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports "all options," including release, are on the table for Broncos QB Chad Kelly following his arrest.

The Broncos' No. 2 quarterback has a history of off-the-field issues dating back to his time at Ole Miss. It's why he fell to the final picks of the 2017 draft. The fact that Kelly hasn't already been waived and that it's merely "on the table" suggests he will ultimately keep his roster spot. The Broncos can't be playing games behind Case Keenum, who is a weekly threat to go off the rails.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Oct 23 - 2:49 PM

Broncos waived QB Chad Kelly.

Now ex-teammate Von Miller had a Halloween party Monday night. Kelly apparently got too intoxicated, had physical altercations with a guest and then security. The 24-year-old somehow then ended up in a stranger's residence, sitting on the couch, mumbling incoherent words. Police arrived and arrested Kelly for first-degree criminal trespassing. It's a total blown opportunity for Kelly, who seemed to be inching a bit closer to getting a chance to unseat Case Keenum in Denver. Kelly had an awesome preseason, but off-field troubles have long been his downfall dating back to high school and college. We bet someone gives him another chance.

Seems like an overreaction to a 24-year-old doing 24-year-old things. You can do worse and become the president or supreme court justice, but you can't play QB for a desperate franchise?  :rolleyes:

I and plenty of my friends have done s*** like this and ended up living productive, successful lives. I might even go so far as to say we became relatively responsible. But that really depends on how one defines "relatively."

I'll throw out a baseless, random prediction: Oakland trades Carr and Kelly ends up as Gruden's starting QB, because why not?

Seems like an overreaction to a 24-year-old doing 24-year-old things. You can do worse and become the president or supreme court justice, but you can't play QB for a desperate franchise?  :rolleyes:

I and plenty of my friends have done s*** like this and ended up living productive, successful lives. I might even go so far as to say we became relatively responsible. But that really depends on how one defines "relatively."
Agreed and we have seen countless times on NFL teams keeping extremely talented players despite performing egregious crimes such domestic violence / drugs (granted, NFL has changed since then).   It's really too bad to see talented Kelly being released when he had really great chance to "Wally Pipp" Keenum as starting QB for Broncos. 

In a vacuum, sure, possibly.  Added to his checkered history and without really knowing the full story behind this incident coupled with what else he may/may not have been doing behind the scenes, then this isn't surprising and there's simply no way to accurately assess whether this was an "overreaction" by the Broncos. 

Agreed and we have seen countless times on NFL teams keeping extremely talented players despite performing egregious crimes such domestic violence / drugs (granted, NFL has changed since then).   It's really too bad to see talented Kelly being released when he had really great chance to "Wally Pipp" Keenum as starting QB for Broncos. 
And in the end, this may be the disconnect.  I'm not sure Kelly qualifies as anything close to the bolded. 

I wish the Bills replaced Peterman, but Peterman's wife and McDermott's wife are in Bible Study together and McDermott likes when QB's throw interceptions.

When you know that you’re mr irrelevant and any problems gets you kicked off the team, well I guess you’re too stupid to be an nfl qb if you screw up anyways. 

So with the Kelly thing in the rear view mirror....(he is lucky he walked into that house at 1:18 in the morning and not a different one, he could have been shot)...

now it will be interesting to see how the Broncos respond on Sunday....they seem to be trying to go into full damage control mode about the Von Miller hosted party not having an underlying "cocaine theme"....I guess after the Talib thing where he was drunk and high and shot himself in public after being in a strip club where a gun shot also went off...and not getting ANYTHING for that, they think the general public is just really stupid and will believe anything....guys dressed up as Bobby Brown with a bag of coke and coke under his nose....guys dressed up as David Chappelle's crack head character carrying around a bag of coke.....a rapper on stage singing "I love the co co....I love the co co".....other guys dressed up as John "Snow"....yeah thats real cowboy themed....but once you pull your head out of the sand....yeah there were some people in normal costumes, but there was an underlying cocaine theme to this party on behalf of at least some of the more prominent vets.....if people want to think all of those things are just a coincidence, go ahead and put your head back in the sand.....it was most certainly was something that was discussed ahead of time, by at least some of the players....and not a real good look, no matter how you slice it...

reports are that this "annual" party used to be a very PG or less than PG event with less then 200-250 people....usually at a restaurant or ball room type of location....it used to include coaches, staff, personnel people and their families, etc....but thats not good enough now.....now, recently,  it is a player only /invite thing with no coaches, and often includes invitations to other local celebrity types around town....they don't want coaches and management around....it is basically an event at a place that will hold 1,000 people with rappers performing on stage, etc....apparently things really changed after Manning left, because he used to be one of the ones that organized this event....now the new face of the franchise (Von Miller) is the host.....hmmmmm

And in the end, this may be the disconnect.  I'm not sure Kelly qualifies as anything close to the bolded. 
Perhaps, I may have termed incorrectly on Kelly but I remember hearing about his profile from numerous NFL experts, saying that his talent was graded as 1st round. But he was held by his numerous negative off-field actions as well as his hot-head personality.  Before Elway taking a chance on him at the final pick of 2017 draft, he took Jim Kelly's words on his nephew. I guess Broncos couldn't tolerance another negative publicity this time.

I dunno, it sounds like a pretty raucous party. I put exactly ZERO of this on his teammates.

Supposedly there was growing support for CK to hit the field at some point if den can't crawl above .500 but how do you lead an NFL franchise if you need a babysitter at a team Halloween party. He's 24. That's a grown man. Are you really going to make this guy the face of the franchise if he needs a "chaperone"? 

Maybe the better question is if you can't put up with this type of behavior.... why do you draft him in the first place? Does elway honestly get any credit for taking the high road if it turns out Chad Kelly is exactly what everyone thought he was? I realize elway doesn't have a great history in the scouting phase of being a GM but someone could have slipped him a note or something. If anyone needs a chaperone maybe it's elway on draft day pretty much every year.

The 24-year-old Kelly posted $2,500 bond and was released later Tuesday. He appeared briefly in court Wednesday, and a court date was set for Nov. 8. Kelly has not yet been formally charged.

Kelly stopped at the Broncos' complex, which is next door to the courthouse, about 24 minutes before his hearing.
The Bengals should look into this.  Would save a lot of transit time.

Users who are viewing this thread