What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Real $ blind bidding (1 Viewer)

bombjack

Footballguy
Interested in anyone's experience using real $s for blind bid waivers.

positives / negatives?

Do you still use a "max" pool per owner or does the real money negate the need for this?

Less worried about credit issues and more about how functionally it works.

My league has been doing this for many years.  We love it.  We added an annual cap to the equation a few years ago when the disparity in incomes created a situation where the higher income peeps had a huge advantage.  The cap is a good idea in my opinion.  In addition to income issues, there is also some strategy when you realize the person who may be bidding against you is up against the cap.  Strategic bids can be made to keep players from owners who you dont want to see get them, and as you get closer to the cap you have to be a bit more conservative to avoid hitting the cap.  Once you hit the cap, you can only bid the minimum bid for players.  So you can still go over the cap, but you have major limitations once you go over.

My league has been doing this for many years.  We love it.  We added an annual cap to the equation a few years ago when the disparity in incomes created a situation where the higher income peeps had a huge advantage.  The cap is a good idea in my opinion.  In addition to income issues, there is also some strategy when you realize the person who may be bidding against you is up against the cap.  Strategic bids can be made to keep players from owners who you dont want to see get them, and as you get closer to the cap you have to be a bit more conservative to avoid hitting the cap.  Once you hit the cap, you can only bid the minimum bid for players.  So you can still go over the cap, but you have major limitations once you go over.
All of that is true for blind bidding with imaginary FAB. 

I am in a league that has $70 in money available for the year with a maximum bid of $10 per player.  Throws a little twist into things for waivers and increases the pot by quite a bit by the end of the season.  Also can throw you behind the 8 ball if you spend too much early like I did last year then got bit by the injury bug late in the season and had no money to spend come playoff time.

Ilov80s said:
All of that is true for blind bidding with imaginary FAB. 
Disagree, On a budget your very hesitant to throw $20($100 cap) at a backup player, say W Smallwood in case
Matthews goes down. Right now Matthews is borderline RB2, if Matthews does go down, Smallwood might
be borderline starter or full blown RBBC.  I might do that coin flip with real money, fake money, yeah all day long.
I'm using Smallwood as the example because he is not being drafted as the backup but could move into that role
with Sprole's as still the 3rd down guy.

I think a better example works with M Ingram. I probably would throw $20 at T Hightower. Hightower has shown some
ability to be the backup and Spiller stays as the 3rd/C.O.P. The difference is Hightower could be a solid RB2.

Smallwoods ranking will probably change and he gets drafted in a lot of leagues but the premise holds with other
examples, say Gordon/Oliver, Woodhead 3rd.

Disagree, On a budget your very hesitant to throw $20($100 cap) at a backup player, say W Smallwood in case
Matthews goes down. Right now Matthews is borderline RB2, if Matthews does go down, Smallwood might
be borderline starter or full blown RBBC.  I might do that coin flip with real money, fake money, yeah all day long.
I'm using Smallwood as the example because he is not being drafted as the backup but could move into that role
with Sprole's as still the 3rd down guy.

I think a better example works with M Ingram. I probably would throw $20 at T Hightower. Hightower has shown some
ability to be the backup and Spiller stays as the 3rd/C.O.P. The difference is Hightower could be a solid RB2.

Smallwoods ranking will probably change and he gets drafted in a lot of leagues but the premise holds with other
examples, say Gordon/Oliver, Woodhead 3rd.

I agree that it's certainly easier to spend $20 imaginary dollars than $20 real dollars, but I just meant the idea that their comes bidding strategy with a cap. Do you spend big early since that is when we usually figure out who the big breakout stars are and the earlier you get a guy, the more return on the investment you can get? Do you wait until the end when teams have spent a lot of their money and be able to pick-up late break out players for cheap and block potential playoff opponents from improving their team. Also, we are allowed to trade our FAB money which I like. I'm not sure if that would work as well with real money. 

The only negative I could see with using real money is that if a team is struggling and doesn't look like they are playoff bound, they might not see any reason to throw spend money on a league they aren't going to win. So that makes the bidding less competitive and gives the better teams even more of an advantage. With imaginary FAB, there is no incentive to have any $ left at the end of the year so even bad teams will continue to bid and make the WW competitive through the entire year. 

I agree that it's certainly easier to spend $20 imaginary dollars than $20 real dollars, but I just meant the idea that their comes bidding strategy with a cap. Do you spend big early since that is when we usually figure out who the big breakout stars are and the earlier you get a guy, the more return on the investment you can get? Do you wait until the end when teams have spent a lot of their money and be able to pick-up late break out players for cheap and block potential playoff opponents from improving their team. Also, we are allowed to trade our FAB money which I like. I'm not sure if that would work as well with real money. 

The only negative I could see with using real money is that if a team is struggling and doesn't look like they are playoff bound, they might not see any reason to throw spend money on a league they aren't going to win. So that makes the bidding less competitive and gives the better teams even more of an advantage. With imaginary FAB, there is no incentive to have any $ left at the end of the year so even bad teams will continue to bid and make the WW competitive through the entire year. 
Once the season starts luck can be a big part of this game. You can't fix fair to be even. Play to win and hopefully have fun or play to have fun and hopefully win. It's nice to have a league of 8+ competitive guys but that is just not normal.

It's more likely it's 6 guys that are really good or try to be and the other 6, well, they just play cause it's something to do.  Real money might keep a 5-7 team from making a run to the playoffs but all the rest happens in every league whatever the rules are.

I love the idea of a real money waiver wire as I think that would reduce the (O.K. you got me to play) guys and if they do join, lose, and keep coming back that's on them and that happens in every league too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread