What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Our league vote to not allow electronic devices during draft (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
We had our summer meeting earlier this week and the most interesting rule change was that no electronic devices (laptops, tablets, smart phones, etc.) will be allowed during the draft (although you can access them during breaks).  The only exclusion is the commish who can use the computer only to enter players into the website as we draft.  

Reason:   This is an old time league where most guys do not use technology to draft.  A few of the owners were concerned that the 2 or 3 guys that do bring their computers might be using software such as Draft Dominator to assist in picking their team.  Their thought was that you should prepare for the draft ahead of time and pick your own team without a computer helping.

The vote was 8 yes, 3 no, 1 abstain.

Thoughts?

I like it.  Do your home work before hand and if you are going to cheat of someone else's rankings we don't want to know.  Do you do an auction or serpentine?

Serpentine.   Attempts at going to auctions have fallen on deaf ears.
I still like it.  I wish we could do a live draft in my old friends league.  We are all scattered across the country though.  I would suggest something similar as I would prefer people not starring at there computer/phone/tablet during the draft.

Did the 8 voting in the "For" column also request that everyone stay off their lawn?

If someone really wanted to use a set of rankings, it's not like they can't just print the damn things out.

Did the 8 voting in the "For" column also request that everyone stay off their lawn?

If someone really wanted to use a set of rankings, it's not like they can't just print the damn things out.
Our issue is we have a couple people using them and they are slowing down the draft with "who got picked?" Hold on I need to catch up so I can see what my app tells me who to pick."

Our issue is we have a couple people using them and they are slowing down the draft with "who got picked?" Hold on I need to catch up so I can see what my app tells me who to pick."
That sounds more like an owner issue than a software issue.

If I were a commish in that situation, I'd probably just be draconian about time limits for picks.  They'll either adapt and speed up or they'll get their picks skipped a few times and they'll stop using the apps(or get faster using them).

Hate telling anyone they "can't use Product X" if they choose to do so.  That said, they aren't going to get preferential treatment if they choose to do so and others don't.  "Want to use apps/whatever to help you draft?  Totally fine.  Don't forget though, there's a 60 second window(or whatever it is) on picks.  Better move quickly, Champ."

Yep.  We do have some old cranky types in the the league. 
I hope you took the opportunity to point out that there were now ways for them to calculate scores that didn't involve grandma cheaters, a calculator and the Tuesday morning edition of USA Today. :)

(Of course, that's me assuming you weren't one of the cranky types since you at least have heard of the internet)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this rule.  Drafts should be about getting around a table and talking #### and having fun with your leaguemates live.  I imagine today's millennial draft would be a bunch of man bun  metrosexual dweebs tap tap tapping on their smart phones the whole time.  But then what do I know?

This is insane. I wouldn't leave a league over a rule like this, but really? Did they ban electricity as well? 

The things people concern themselves with is funny. I couldn't care less what the guy next to me is doing. He could bring @bobhenry or Mike Clay to the draft for guidance and I wouldn't care. 

That sounds more like an owner issue than a software issue.

If I were a commish in that situation, I'd probably just be draconian about time limits for picks.  They'll either adapt and speed up or they'll get their picks skipped a few times and they'll stop using the apps(or get faster using them).

Hate telling anyone they "can't use Product X" if they choose to do so.  That said, they aren't going to get preferential treatment if they choose to do so and others don't.  "Want to use apps/whatever to help you draft?  Totally fine.  Don't forget though, there's a 60 second window(or whatever it is) on picks.  Better move quickly, Champ."
Commish just said he's turning his Wi-Fi off on draft day.

Next year, perhaps GB's league will vote to allow/disallow the actual watching of football for the previous calendar year.  You know, one or two guys may not be able to watch as much as the other guys.  Need to keep that playing field 100% level.  Everyone can just go pick up a copy of Street & Smith's from June 1997 and look that over.  Should be good....well at least until someone tries drafting Emmitt Smith first overall, I guess.

Just curious:  Is the commish one of the "cranky" guys?  In most of my leagues the commish would have likely said something along the lines of "adapt or die" to the dinosaurs before this even got to a vote(although, I do understand it's a little different if this is a league that has been around since the "pen and paper with USA Today for scoring" timeframe...which, these days, can likely be considered the "fantasy football cretaceous period" I suppose).

I think if I were in the league I would take forever with every one of my picks while I flip through a bunch of sheets of paper with my rankings, projections, and prior year stats on it while apologizing for it taking so long because I can't find the ctrl+f button on the pieces of paper.

Seems a bit ridiculous but do what make you happy.  I see no issues with what people use for there draft since you can only take the players that are available to you.  Every player has the same chance.  If they are too slow then make a time limit and stick to it.  It's their fault for being slow so they have to adjust.  Banning it just seems silly.

Next year, perhaps GB's league will vote to allow/disallow the actual watching of football for the previous calendar year.  You know, one or two guys may not be able to watch as much as the other guys.  Need to keep that playing field 100% level.  Everyone can just go pick up a copy of Street & Smith's from June 1997 and look that over.  Should be good....well at least until someone tries drafting Emmitt Smith first overall, I guess.

Just curious:  Is the commish one of the "cranky" guys?  In most of my leagues the commish would have likely said something along the lines of "adapt or die" to the dinosaurs before this even got to a vote(although, I do understand it's a little different if this is a league that has been around since the "pen and paper with USA Today for scoring" timeframe...which, these days, can likely be considered the "fantasy football cretaceous period" I suppose).
I am the commish.  I was the one that abstained.

I think the other problem our commish has (we are young too, all in our late 20-mid 30s) is the couple people using the computer don't interact with anyone else. They are just sitting there typing away at their computer the whole time. The draft is a huge party with lots of beer, cocktails food, a theme, etc. It is a big production. We drink and have fun, our wives/gfs cook and party upstairs while we draft and the we all party together after. It's a big social event and for many of us, it is the only time we get to see each other each year (14th year of the league, 8 members have been in since day 1, started when most of us were in college). So I think the commish and others get annoyed when everyone is socializing, drinking, and a couple people are just on their computers the whole time. 

I'm in a league where you can draft with whatever aids you want, but all records are kept on pen and paper and everyone has to come pick up their copy to see the transactions and scores from last week. And you either emailthe  commish your starting lineup or write it down and leave it with the kitchen at the place he works, actually train the help- "hey, if someone drops off a piece of paper with a bunch of football players names on it it goes here". It actually works out better than it sounds, but most have been in this league for decades (literally) so it's just business as usual. It actually may say "rotisserie football league" somewhere. The scoring is super weird, but it's just how it evolved over the years.

Lame. You can still socialize and not be buried into an electronic. Take breaks, enjoy the day but still have access to schedules or recent info. that you might have missed since some of us have adult lives outside of FF.

Lame. You can still socialize and not be buried into an electronic. Take breaks, enjoy the day but still have access to schedules or recent info. that you might have missed since some of us have adult lives outside of FF.
I agree. We aren't actually banning anything, just more of a running joke/complaint because the 2 people using their computers are buried in it. Everyone at the draft uses their phones to look at things like bye weeks, etc. It's more the use of these draft apps where people spend the whole time typing in who was chosen and by what team and what trade happened, etc. One dude had 2 laptops last year spread out all over the table, it was a bit ridiculous. Ultimately, the point is have fun. It's fun to bust the balls of the nerds with their computers just as much as it is to bust the balls of the idiot that walks in with a ff magazine they just bought at the gas station. Giving each other a hard time is half the fun of the league. 

I agree. We aren't actually banning anything, just more of a running joke/complaint because the 2 people using their computers are buried in it. Everyone at the draft uses their phones to look at things like bye weeks, etc. It's more the use of these draft apps where people spend the whole time typing in who was chosen and by what team and what trade happened, etc. One dude had 2 laptops last year spread out all over the table, it was a bit ridiculous. Ultimately, the point is have fun. It's fun to bust the balls of the nerds with their computers just as much as it is to bust the balls of the idiot that walks in with a ff magazine they just bought at the gas station. Giving each other a hard time is half the fun of the league. 
The premise of the OP is that some old stay of my lawn curmudgeons don't want other's to have an advantage which is pretty ridiculous at this stage of our existence. You don't win anything on draft day and staring at someone else's rankings if you haven't done your homework makes no difference at all in the leagues I've been a part of. The lions always gobble up the lambs year after year through homework and continual FA moves.

The guys who don't have to stare at electronics are always the one's who have it figured out anyways. FF is a dying breed as it is and if you want to take the fun out of it by placing restrictions on some people is just limiting it's appeal for some thus giving them even more reason to leave the hobby. Relax and enjoy it in any way you can. I enjoy the experience and taking their money at the same time.

I like it and am surprised so many people are against it.  Then again, if I paid X amount of dollars to try to edge an advantage out (as super slim as it may be) I guess I might be mad too.  But, you'll still have your rankings that you paid some "expert" for.  It just won't automatically calculate the VBD or tier drop offs or w/e and you'll have to strategize yourself, oh no!

Unless you're curing cancer or fighting fires, there aren't too many pursuits that are important on this planet. All these hobbies we enjoy (running through sand at the beach, tattoos, movies, keggers, walks in the park, etc.), they're all things we do to distract us from our inevitable non-existence. Time spent doing something you enjoy isn't a waste of time.

Even though I use the internet and mobile devices to do my fantasy football "homework"--I actually prefer not to use any of these devices to assist me in live drafts.  I generally like to bring an adp list as well as my own tiered rankings--and a sharpie.   For me-I don't like being distracted by these devices--as I feel like it disconnects me from the draft. The couple times I used electronic devices to aid me in a live draft, I found myself only looking at the players that I draft while not focusing on the roster make up of other teams, if there is a positional run on players..etc..  Just feels like I'm leaving too much information on the table if I focus on my mobile devices as opposed to the actual draft. 

With that being said--I do find it a little weird that a league actually voted to ban the use of these devices.    That seems a bit tyrannical.  Seems like you are  legislating and regulating how a paying owner should prepare for drafting his/her team.   Even though I prefer not to use mobile devices at my live drafts--I don't think I would ever vote for stopping any other owner from using them.  

what if someone has a life and doesnt have time to the necessary homework?
:goodposting:

You two are the type that probably ##### and moan about kids nowadays getting participation trophies, and that's sort of what you're asking for here.

It's cool when FF leagues are like the real NFL, where if you don't put a lot of effort into preparation, then your chances of winning significantly decrease. 

Then you take QBs with the same BYE or Jordy Nelson/Kelvin Benjamin last year and everyone laughs at your expense. 
If you can't keep track of that or spend 30 minutes before the draft to do a little research then you probably shouldn't be doing a live draft.

If you can't keep track of that or spend 30 minutes before the draft to do a little research then you probably shouldn't be doing a live draft.
Hey, these guys have a life, they don't have time for that.  Just let them show up with a computer, mindlessly draft their team, so they can have a 1 in 12 shot like everyone else.  Otherwise they'll give up after week 6 when their team is 5-1.

what if someone has a life and doesnt have time to the necessary homework?
They have enough of a "life" to not have time to do their fantasy homework before the draft--but somehow their "life" frees up enough to allow them the time to manage a fantasy team through 13 regular season weeks and possibly 2-3 more playoff weeks?    I think that mobile devices should be allowed at drafts--but I think this is a really absurd way to phrase things.  

Way back when I started (said with old man voice) we usually didn't know weekly results until Tues after commish did compilations. God forbid we had to go back to that. I was among first in my leagues to use laptop with DD & problem was it was so easy to follow draft that I had more time for beer than others flipping thru magazines. Now most all of us use laptops & guy that uses mag is an anchor on draft. We still go up & write in our pick on master board or have one of our kids manage the CBS board they send. And in 1 league it has become tradition for me to run through overall & positionally best & worst drafts according to DD.

I think the other problem our commish has (we are young too, all in our late 20-mid 30s) is the couple people using the computer don't interact with anyone else. They are just sitting there typing away at their computer the whole time. The draft is a huge party with lots of beer, cocktails food, a theme, etc. It is a big production. We drink and have fun, our wives/gfs cook and party upstairs while we draft and the we all party together after. It's a big social event and for many of us, it is the only time we get to see each other each year (14th year of the league, 8 members have been in since day 1, started when most of us were in college). So I think the commish and others get annoyed when everyone is socializing, drinking, and a couple people are just on their computers the whole time. 
Again, that is a user issue and I don't believe it will be solved by this rule. Using some type of app should not take any longer then using paper. The users are just deciding to look up more info. The same will happen w paper. In every league there are people who spend the whole time in between picks researching the next pick and there are guys who just have fun. You can't put in a rule that makes people have fun. 

It really had nothing to do about delays in drafting, it was proposed because some owners felt the computer users may have DD or a similar VBD application that was choosing players instead of the team owner.

There was also concern that if everybody brought computers it would kill the WiFi.

Since the majority of the league never bring computers it passed easily, which actually surprised me.

The compromise was to allow devices on breaks so you could do some checking or analysis if you wanted.

I hope you took the opportunity to point out that there were now ways for them to calculate scores that didn't involve grandma cheaters, a calculator and the Tuesday morning edition of USA Today. :)

(Of course, that's me assuming you weren't one of the cranky types since you at least have heard of the internet)
Can't tell you how many sleepers I found poring over the box scores.

Oh, the memories!

It really had nothing to do about delays in drafting, it was proposed because some owners felt the computer users may have DD or a similar VBD application that was choosing players instead of the team owner.

There was also concern that if everybody brought computers it would kill the WiFi.

Since the majority of the league never bring computers it passed easily, which actually surprised me.

The compromise was to allow devices on breaks so you could do some checking or analysis if you wanted.
I certainly don't want to come across as poking fun at your league as it's not my intention to do so.  However--I personally think that voting on something like this seems very over-bearing and unnecessary.   I am of the belief that people should be able to manage their teams to their liking (with obvious restrictions--collusion, player dumping..etc).   Just out of curiosity--how does your league handle trades?  Do you guys do league vote?   

You two are the type that probably ##### and moan about kids nowadays getting participation trophies, and that's sort of what you're asking for here.

It's cool when FF leagues are like the real NFL, where if you don't put a lot of effort into preparation, then your chances of winning significantly decrease. 
Nice try sporto. I'm a techie and use electronics the best I can. And yea, kids getting participation trophies is further proof of the wussification of America. I see what your mindset is now.

If you indeed had a life with children and a demanding job you wouldn't have time to sit for hours figuring out projections. Those days have long passed.

Get over yourself, and get a real job and you won't have time either.

Peace out and good luck this year. I'm done with this.

I certainly don't want to come across as poking fun at your league as it's not my intention to do so.  However--I personally think that voting on something like this seems very over-bearing and unnecessary.   I am of the belief that people should be able to manage their teams to their liking (with obvious restrictions--collusion, player dumping..etc).   Just out of curiosity--how does your league handle trades?  Do you guys do league vote?   
Nope, no league vote on trade.  Cornish rules on all trades and in 22 years there has never been a trade overturned.

Every summer we get together to review last season and propose rules for the upcoming season. One guy brought it up, it got seconded and we had a lively discussion and actually voted twice.  We will try it this year and see how it goes, I have a feeling it will be discussed again next year.

Nope, no league vote on trade.  Cornish rules on all trades and in 22 years there has never been a trade overturned.

Every summer we get together to review last season and propose rules for the upcoming season. One guy brought it up, it got seconded and we had a lively discussion and actually voted twice.  We will try it this year and see how it goes, I have a feeling it will be discussed again next year.
Right on.  Thank you for taking the time to answer the question and relieve me of my curiousity.   Your answer certainly paints your league in a far better light in my eyes as I was actually expecting you to say "league votes on trades".     While I find it peculiar that you guys have voted for electronic devices at the draft---it is nice to see that you guys don't run your league as if it was a "commission of roster management".   I can't stand leagues where owners can't manage their teams to their liking.   

Nice try sporto. I'm a techie and use electronics the best I can. And yea, kids getting participation trophies is further proof of the wussification of America. I see what your mindset is now.

If you indeed had a life with children and a demanding job you wouldn't have time to sit for hours figuring out projections. Those days have long passed.

Get over yourself, and get a real job and you won't have time either.

Peace out and good luck this year. I'm done with this.
That's just an excuse. I own a business and have a wife with two kids. Not only that but I choose to make supper every night and do other chores around the house yet I find all kinds of time to research. It's a hobby for me though and I enjoy it. 

Right on.  Thank you for taking the time to answer the question and relieve me of my curiousity.   Your answer certainly paints your league in a far better light in my eyes as I was actually expecting you to say "league votes on trades".     While I find it peculiar that you guys have voted for electronic devices at the draft---it is nice to see that you guys don't run your league as if it was a "commission of roster management".   I can't stand leagues where owners can't manage their teams to their liking.   
Yeah this whole thing kind of took me by surprise.  Originally I thought it was a joke but the support snowballed.  

Users who are viewing this thread