What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bourbon guys (4 Viewers)

Just thought I'd update on my experience with the Bourbon tasting event at Jungle Jim's.

Heavy hors d’oeuvres, live music and of course lot's of bourbons :yes: . I tried all of the following:

Angel's Envy
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Bulleit 10 year
Calumet
High West
Russell's Reserve 10 year
Woodford Double Oak
Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye
Stranahan's
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Of those the best IMO were the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon and Calumet. The best bargain bourbon was Russell's Reserve 10 year. Not too shabby for about $33.

All in all a big  :thumbup:
Had some Russell's 10yr Sat night while watching the fight.  It's my buddy's new go-to bourbon.  Damn good stuff.  Still like my 1792 a bit better though.

Last weekend I polished off a bottle Four Roses Small Batch ($29.99). It was my first time ever having it and I am pretty sure its now my go to daily drinker. Anyone have a better suggestion in the same price range?

I know many whisky guys don't think much of Basil Hayden's, but for $25 at Costco I could not pass it up.  I think its a good light 80 pf. bourbon when I feel like pounding down a couple fingers before heading out - goes down so easy and has a nice flavor for me.  At that price, I've got no problem if my neighbor wants to mix it with Coke or whatever else he's got.

I know many whisky guys don't think much of Basil Hayden's, but for $25 at Costco I could not pass it up.  I think its a good light 80 pf. bourbon when I feel like pounding down a couple fingers before heading out - goes down so easy and has a nice flavor for me.  At that price, I've got no problem if my neighbor wants to mix it with Coke or whatever else he's got.
I’m a big fan. It’s one of my go tos at steak houses.

Alright @[icon], you are heading on a trip overseas, what will you be hunting?  Also, pick up anything good lately?

I was selected in a raffle that allowed me to purchase a bottle of George T Stagg 2018 at retail, which was nice.  Its good stuff.  I offered to open it one night so my buddy showed up with his bottle of Blade & Bow 22.  Drank those, some Weller Antique, and then compared our two different bottles of Blantons STFB (your recommendation which is amazing).  His was higher proof which we both preferred.  It was a good bourbon night!

Alright @[icon], you are heading on a trip overseas, what will you be hunting?  Also, pick up anything good lately?

I was selected in a raffle that allowed me to purchase a bottle of George T Stagg 2018 at retail, which was nice.  Its good stuff.  I offered to open it one night so my buddy showed up with his bottle of Blade & Bow 22.  Drank those, some Weller Antique, and then compared our two different bottles of Blantons STFB (your recommendation which is amazing).  His was higher proof which we both preferred.  It was a good bourbon night!
That is a murderers row you guys tasted! Very nice. 

Overaeas Europe will have been pretty picked over by now, but I’m always looking for old Willetts, and I’m hoping to grab a bottle of Blantons SFTB to swerve as my hotel room bottle for the 2 week stretch,  Germany will be my best shot for that though I think. 

You need new whisky guy friends, and new neighbors.

I added a cool piece of history to my bar area, a prescription for whiskey written by a doctor in 1924 on a form provided by the Treasury Department that uses the same paper as money at the time: https://i.imgur.com/paqZqt2.jpg

Then I upped my Old Fashioned game by getting these Cibi crystal glasses used by Harrison Ford in Blade Runner. Here's mine in the wild: https://i.imgur.com/j6kk1xH.jpg
Cool stuff all around!

I have been looking for good whiskey glasses forever. I must own 8 different styles, but I still haven’t found one I love. Those however...

Cool stuff all around!

I have been looking for good whiskey glasses forever. I must own 8 different styles, but I still haven’t found one I love. Those however...
These ones are real quality, have the unique look and the movie connection, but they are large at about 12.5 oz and they are designed so that you drink from one of the four corners of the glass rather than the thick side walls. I knew this from watching youtube videos before buying. This guy demonstrates how you drink from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz2tTS8fInU. There is a smaller version of the glass at 22cl (about 7.5 oz) that is a little less expensive, so that could be a better choice if you're just drinking whiskey neat. I went with the larger because they are true to the movie and I want to be able to make an old fashioned in them.

Shrugs said:
These ones are real quality, have the unique look and the movie connection, but they are large at about 12.5 oz and they are designed so that you drink from one of the four corners of the glass rather than the thick side walls. I knew this from watching youtube videos before buying. This guy demonstrates how you drink from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz2tTS8fInU. There is a smaller version of the glass at 22cl (about 7.5 oz) that is a little less expensive, so that could be a better choice if you're just drinking whiskey neat. I went with the larger because they are true to the movie and I want to be able to make an old fashioned in them.
I’d go with the large ones. I drink a lot of whiskey.

Shrugs said:
I’d go with the large ones. I drink a lot of whiskey.

I added a cool piece of history to my bar area, a prescription for whiskey written by a doctor in 1924 on a form provided by the Treasury Department that uses the same paper as money at the time: https://i.imgur.com/paqZqt2.jpg
That is awesome.  Where did you get it?  My wife is a pharmacist.  Pretty sure she'd let me put this up over our bar.

That is awesome.  Where did you get it?  My wife is a pharmacist.  Pretty sure she'd let me put this up over our bar.
I got it off ebay. They’re actually not very expensive (the framing cost more). There’s the same seller on both ebay and Etsy who has a bunch of them. Here’s her ebay listings: https://www.m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=ginger.1&isRefine=true&_pgn=1. I think the 1924-25 Treasury Department forms look the best. You have to pay a little extra to get a form on which the doctor wrote whiskey rather than the more common spiritus fermenti. And the more legible ones usually go for a bit more. I looked up the names of the patient, doctor and pharmacist on mine and found they were real people.

I cut my teeth on Jack...drank it like water at one point in my life.  But, once you start expanding your horizons, you are not likely to go back.  Once in a blue moon I will still sip a Gentleman Jack, but the Old No.7 black label is now a relic for me.
Did the same but had some Old 7 last week and still enjoyed it.

It's probably been said before but Buffalo Trace just makes my balls relax.
My total wine hasn’t had it on the shelf for about a month or so. Yesterday I ask a guy working the aisle about it and he says they keep it out back and would get me a bottle. $23 a bottle and they’re keeping out back..... The guy told me if the dont it gets bought in large quantities

Hey guys long time no chat :)  

So crazy hearing about ER and BT being kept in the back and quantities being limited. That #### is EVERYWHERE here. Distributors push shops to buy cases of BT to have a chance with getting pappy/btac so there are cases and cases on the floors everywhere.  

Agreed both are excellent value bottles. 

Hey guys long time no chat :)  

So crazy hearing about ER and BT being kept in the back and quantities being limited. That #### is EVERYWHERE here. Distributors push shops to buy cases of BT to have a chance with getting pappy/btac so there are cases and cases on the floors everywhere.  

Agreed both are excellent value bottles. 
Yep, easy to find here in Jax, ABC has now started putting Weller Reserve behind the counter but they have also been getting a bit more Weller 12 this year.  I've gotten 6 bottles since Sept.

Found a place in NE Georgia that is a gold mine, always has ER and Blantons, picking up 2 bottles of ER and a bottle of Blantons tonight from a buddy who's hunting camp is in the small town

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, easy to find here in Jax, ABC has now started putting Weller Reserve behind the counter but they have also been getting a bit more Weller 12 this year.  I've gotten 6 bottles since Sept.

Found a place in NE Georgia that is a gold mine, always has ER and Blantons, picking up 2 bottles of ER and a bottle of Blantons tonight from a buddy who's hunting camp is in the small town
And bingo, LOL, got my bottles last night and the guy says, hope this is the right ER bottle, they had 2 different ones, mine were 10 year, so I asked was it a bottle of 17 year?  Yep, called and its mine, getting it next week :boxing:

Just lucked into a case of Antique 107, a William Larue Weller, and a George T Stagg. Also first in line for a Van Winkle Lot B or Pappy 15yr when they hit in the 29th. 

All in a shop I had never spent a dime in before last night. Now I’m the owners favorite customer and #1 on their list. 

It’s truly all about the game these days :lol:  

This year’s WLW is in at 125.7pf. It’s fantastic as always. Curious to try it against side by side my 15/16/17’s

What place?

Just lucked into a case of Antique 107, a William Larue Weller, and a George T Stagg. Also first in line for a Van Winkle Lot B or Pappy 15yr when they hit in the 29th. 

All in a shop I had never spent a dime in before last night. Now I’m the owners favorite customer and #1 on their list. 

It’s truly all about the game these days :lol:  

This year’s WLW is in at 125.7pf. It’s fantastic as always. Curious to try it against side by side my 15/16/17’s
So jealous...

And bingo, LOL, got my bottles last night and the guy says, hope this is the right ER bottle, they had 2 different ones, mine were 10 year, so I asked was it a bottle of 17 year?  Yep, called and its mine, getting it next week :boxing:
Eagle rare on the rocks tonight.  Just wonderful and tough to beat.  

I know I'm in the wrong thread, but there is no "Irish Whiskey" thread so:  3rd glass of Jameson Black Barrel.  So cheap and soo good.

:banned:

I know I'm in the wrong thread, but there is no "Irish Whiskey" thread so:  3rd glass of Jameson Black Barrel.  So cheap and soo good.

:banned:
I’m a fan. Actually got to hand fill and label a bottle of black Barrel cask strength 121pf from the cask at the distillery in Dublin. Pretty cool. Pricey at €100 but why not. Surprised how much better it drinks at the higher proof. 

Joe Bryant said:
Sorry if Honda as I'm not a bourbon guy but I know a little about how crazy the secondary market is for some stuff. I thought this was cool. 

Lexington Bar to sell Pappy Van Winkle at "cost".

Thoughts? 
Thx @kutta  :wub:  

Bars in bourbon country have long been looking for ways to stick out during the annual release of goodies. One bar made Jell-O shots Out of it. 

From a business perspective: its smart in that you’re getting a ton of PR among bourbon dorks who will go grab a drink there. 

From a personal perspective, I respect the call. They could get 10x this per pour for the 40-50 servings per year they get. It’s good marketing but hurts them in that the whiskey tourists may NOT come because many want a glass of something fancy. ( absolutely Been there done that myself :bag:   :lol:  )

In the end I dig it. :thumbup:  

Is this worth a shot @ $45 a bottle (sorry for long entry):

Super smooth with a long lingering finish with no bite. Packed with caramel, roasted pineapple, vanilla with just a very small hint of fall spice. Bottled at 90 proof...

I'll be honest, I didn't know much about Old Forester before last year's Kentucky trip and I kind of thought of them as second tier house (Boy, was I wrong!). I think the barrels I tasted from Old Forester were the best ones of the whole trip. I'm a fan now and think their Birthday Bourbon might be the best on the market. Unfortunately, if you want that bottle it will cost you a cool $400 a bottle. (Oh and I only get 2 bottles a year.)...

I was introduced to Old Forester at a dinner with Jackie Zykan at a restaurant named Rye (the irony).

I'll be honest, after a couple of days tasting through a hundred bourbon barrels,  I really didn't want to drink anything with dinner. As we are sitting down, I noticed that our group of 6 has increased by 1. Hmmm, I asked my Kentucky tour guide if his wife was joining us. He said no, I want you to meet Jackie (Old Forester's Master Taster). Knowing Old Forester makes some pretty serious bourbon, I apparently wasn't going to be drinking water tonight. Jackie brought a bunch of samples for me to taste. At first, I assumed she was part of the Old Forester sales team as she is probably 10 years younger than me and looked decidedly different than the good ole’ boys I've been tasting with for the last few days. I was shocked when she told me she was Old Forester’s  Master Taster. Wow! I said, "Wait, you're Old Forester?" Her response was classic, "Not exactly what you were expecting.." Uh no. Not to worry, Jackie could hang with the boys. She makes my kitchen guys seem tame with her colorful language and has been affectionately dubbed, "Jackie Trucker Mouth." As I mentioned earlier, Old Forester's Birthday Bourbon is from a special lot of barrels from all over the rickhouse that Jackie hand selects after tasting what she thinks are a "cut above". She said if I didn't select my Nicholas Reserve barrel...it was headed for that "special blend".

The special part for you is that the Old Forester Nicholas Reserve is about 1/10 the price (only $45). Like last months Widow Jane, I would suggest you buy more than 1 bottle because when you taste it and realize that you want more... it will be gone. I saved this barrel for the holidays so you can buy some for yourself, but its cheap enough to buy as a present too.

Tasting Notes
Super smooth with a long lingering finish with no bite. Packed with caramel, roasted pineapple, vanilla with just a very small hint of fall spice. Bottled at 90 proof.

Is this worth a shot @ $45 a bottle (sorry for long entry):

Super smooth with a long lingering finish with no bite. Packed with caramel, roasted pineapple, vanilla with just a very small hint of fall spice. Bottled at 90 proof...

I'll be honest, I didn't know much about Old Forester before last year's Kentucky trip and I kind of thought of them as second tier house (Boy, was I wrong!). I think the barrels I tasted from Old Forester were the best ones of the whole trip. I'm a fan now and think their Birthday Bourbon might be the best on the market. Unfortunately, if you want that bottle it will cost you a cool $400 a bottle. (Oh and I only get 2 bottles a year.)...

I was introduced to Old Forester at a dinner with Jackie Zykan at a restaurant named Rye (the irony).

I'll be honest, after a couple of days tasting through a hundred bourbon barrels,  I really didn't want to drink anything with dinner. As we are sitting down, I noticed that our group of 6 has increased by 1. Hmmm, I asked my Kentucky tour guide if his wife was joining us. He said no, I want you to meet Jackie (Old Forester's Master Taster). Knowing Old Forester makes some pretty serious bourbon, I apparently wasn't going to be drinking water tonight. Jackie brought a bunch of samples for me to taste. At first, I assumed she was part of the Old Forester sales team as she is probably 10 years younger than me and looked decidedly different than the good ole’ boys I've been tasting with for the last few days. I was shocked when she told me she was Old Forester’s  Master Taster. Wow! I said, "Wait, you're Old Forester?" Her response was classic, "Not exactly what you were expecting.." Uh no. Not to worry, Jackie could hang with the boys. She makes my kitchen guys seem tame with her colorful language and has been affectionately dubbed, "Jackie Trucker Mouth." As I mentioned earlier, Old Forester's Birthday Bourbon is from a special lot of barrels from all over the rickhouse that Jackie hand selects after tasting what she thinks are a "cut above". She said if I didn't select my Nicholas Reserve barrel...it was headed for that "special blend".

The special part for you is that the Old Forester Nicholas Reserve is about 1/10 the price (only $45). Like last months Widow Jane, I would suggest you buy more than 1 bottle because when you taste it and realize that you want more... it will be gone. I saved this barrel for the holidays so you can buy some for yourself, but its cheap enough to buy as a present too.

Tasting Notes
Super smooth with a long lingering finish with no bite. Packed with caramel, roasted pineapple, vanilla with just a very small hint of fall spice. Bottled at 90 proof.
If this guy is pumping widow Jane then I’m not sure I trust his palate... 

Also Birthday Bourbon is available all day for $150-200.... not $400 :lol:  

I assume you’re talking about Nicholas Wines Private barrel selection of Old Forrester ? IMO $45 isn’t a prohibitive price point if you want to give it a shot. Old Forrester isn’t bad.

Not sure what his “tasting through hundreds of barrels” story is, but Brown Foreman, like most distilleries, will present you with 3-5 barrels to choose from. If you somehow fail to find something you love they CAN bring you another round of barrels but I’ve never seen it done. The image he’s painting of walking through the rickhouse tasting barrels left and right is 99.92% total bull####. :)  

My .02 :)  

If this guy is pumping widow Jane then I’m not sure I trust his palate... 

Also Birthday Bourbon is available all day for $150-200.... not $400 :lol:  

I assume you’re talking about Nicholas Wines Private barrel selection of Old Forrester ? IMO $45 isn’t a prohibitive price point if you want to give it a shot. Old Forrester isn’t bad.

Not sure what his “tasting through hundreds of barrels” story is, but Brown Foreman, like most distilleries, will present you with 3-5 barrels to choose from. If you somehow fail to find something you love they CAN bring you another round of barrels but I’ve never seen it done. The image he’s painting of walking through the rickhouse tasting barrels left and right is 99.92% total bull####. :)  

My .02 :)  
Will give it a shot. Place is in my local area, so I can just pick up direct and avoid the shipping charges.

Is Makers 46 one of the preferred < $40 options, generally speaking?  Bought one for bourbon drinkers tomorrow and have enjoyed a few bottles myself this year.  I do like it quite a bit.  I've tried a few others that don't compare (Bulleit for example), but I'm thinking I'm not comparing apples to apples because 46 is a step up from standard Makers and the others I've tried look like standard issue for their brands.

I'm clearly not an expert in this field...and I see Knob Creek mentioned quite a bit here....if I try that next, should I go right to reserve?

Is Makers 46 one of the preferred < $40 options, generally speaking?  Bought one for bourbon drinkers tomorrow and have enjoyed a few bottles myself this year.  I do like it quite a bit.  I've tried a few others that don't compare (Bulleit for example), but I'm thinking I'm not comparing apples to apples because 46 is a step up from standard Makers and the others I've tried look like standard issue for their brands.

I'm clearly not an expert in this field...and I see Knob Creek mentioned quite a bit here....if I try that next, should I go right to reserve?
Makers 46 is simply regular makers that goes through a secondary aging process in a barrel fitted with additional toasted oak staves. The result is a bit more rounded off flavor and a bit more vanilla on the palate. I enjoy the makers line when there are limited options (and often when there ARE other options). It’s great when you’re looking for something easy on the tongue. 

Knob really is good “on the shelf” stuff... much more spice to it than makers. I suggest going with the 100 if not 120 proof, personally but nothing wrong with the 90. 

Users who are viewing this thread