Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
top dog

Bourbon guys

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, -OZ- said:

Yep. Broad strokes first, then I'll get into the minutae. I've drank my fair share of alcohol but haven't really taken any intentional effort to figure out what I really like. For most of the past twenty years I just bought whatever caught my eye. Mostly drank beer and when I went liquor it was whiskey, usually Jack

I cut my teeth on Jack...drank it like water at one point in my life.  But, once you start expanding your horizons, you are not likely to go back.  Once in a blue moon I will still sip a Gentleman Jack, but the Old No.7 black label is now a relic for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Basil Hayden has been my go to (neat) for a while, although I would prefer Blantons if I could afford it.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you ever get a chance to do the bourbon trail in Kentucky - https://kybourbontrail.com/, do it, you won't regret it.

I recently went to the last Kentucky Derby and while in Kentucky we visited Maker's Mark and Buffalo Trace distilleries.  While the derby was a "wash" literally, with the exception of seeing Justify go on to win the Triple Crown, we really enjoyed the Maker's Mark tour.  It was first class.  

Edited by JohnnyU
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MrJimiT said:

I'm like you, where occasionally I like a good tequila just for something entirely different. What "affordable" scotch have you enjoyed the most?

Partial to Oban and Dalwhinnie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DropKick said:

Partial to Oban and Dalwhinnie.

Speaking of tequila, I never much thought into it until I took a cruise that landed us in Cozumel.   Until that point all I've ever drank was lousy American, or Quervo wherever that is made tequila.  While my wife was looking for a specific piece of jewelry the employees of the shop made a point to fill me with their finest tequila.  I must say that Mexican tequila in Mexico is the best that I ever tasted.  My wife approached me with something she wanted to buy and as expected I say yes!!  I walked away saying to myself, "those guys and gals were professionals". 

Edited by JohnnyU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BrutalPenguin said:

I got talked into buying a 1792 Ridgemont Reserve Single Barrel.  Will I be disappointed? 

That is a very good highly underrated cask strength Bourbon IMO.  As long as you bought it for around $50 or less, good job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

A good $30 bourbon that is smoother than Knob Creek is Woodford Reserve.  I prefer Knob over Woodford because it is 100 proof compared to 90 proof for Woodford Reserve and I just personally like the taste of Knob Creek for an affordable bourbon ($30 range).  However, Knob is a little strong on the pallet compared to Woodford Reserve.

Edited to add:  With Woodford Reserve I have a tendency to drink too much of it because it's smoothness.  With Knob Creek, it has more kick and I tend to temper how much of it I drink.   Kind of like a backyard barbeque where you're drinking pure grain with fruit juice and it tastes so good you're not aware of how much you're drinking until its too late :)

Woodford was what I cut my teeth on but frankly it’s not-good. They don’t even use 100% their pencil distillate, but have to blend in Old Forrester product. 

Knob is a significantly better whiskey IMO. Frankly, their 120pf Private barrel picks have been blowing my socks off for the past year.... usuallly coming in 12-15 years old, and at $37-39, you won’t find a better value in Bourbon today. 

 

20 hours ago, Galileo said:

I cut my teeth on Jack...drank it like water at one point in my life.  But, once you start expanding your horizons, you are not likely to go back.  Once in a blue moon I will still sip a Gentleman Jack, but the Old No.7 black label is now a relic for me.

Agreed. Some Jack Barrel Proof Bottles can be solid, but overall Jack is incredibly boring Bourbon. 

19 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

If you ever get a chance to do the bourbon trail in Kentucky - https://kybourbontrail.com/, do it, you won't regret it.

I recently went to the last Kentucky Derby and while in Kentucky we visited Maker's Mark and Buffalo Trace distilleries.  While the derby was a "wash" literally, with the exception of seeing Justify go on to win the Triple Crown, we really enjoyed the Maker's Mark tour.  It was first class.  

I’m guessing you did the basic tour instead of the hard-hat tour for Buffalo Trace. Basic tour is fun, HH tour is the best tour in Bourbon country. Generally needs to be booked a Month+ out, it takes several hours and gives you completely unfettered access to every nook and cranny of the distillery. Absolute MUST DO when in Kentucky. I’ve done it 3 times and it’s just different enough every time. 

Makers is a beatiful property, no doubt. However it feels very “Bougie” for Bourbon county. It’s on my top 5 for sure, and the gift store dipping station is fun (pro-tip... deep dip the #### out of a bottle even though they tell you not to) 

25 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

That is a very good highly underrated cask strength Bourbon IMO.  As long as you bought it for around $50 or less, good job!

It’s not my jam but it’s not a mistake of a buy. Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was looking for a Rum thread but couldn't find. Love Bourbon but picked up a bottle of Ron Cartavio XO Rum at Lima, Peru airport for the equivalent of $40 USD which is way lower than you can get it here. Home now. Anyone here ever drink it? Have read excellent reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

Was looking for a Rum thread but couldn't find. Love Bourbon but picked up a bottle of Ron Cartavio XO Rum at Lima, Peru airport for the equivalent of $40 USD which is way lower than you can get it here. Home now. Anyone here ever drink it? Have read excellent reviews.

Good call, time to fire up a Rum thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Picking up a $60ish bottle to sip while binging Bojack Horseman tomorrow. Gotta be Blanton's, right?

Availability dictates a lot but Blantons is always a fine choice IMO 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently enjoying 4 Roses Single Barrel

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Picking up a $60ish bottle to sip while binging Bojack Horseman tomorrow. Gotta be Blanton's, right?

Especially if you can find the Secretariat special release.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2018 at 11:29 AM, CletiusMaximus said:

Blanco is great, but a bit harsh imo if you're drinking it neat. I know some prefer that harsh agave blast, but I prefer the anejos for sipping. I use blancos in margaritas.

 

Believe I’m in the minority, but I really enjoy Blanco for sipping. So crisp and clean. The reposados and anejos are good, but I much prefer Blanco. I’ve tried a ton of them, and despite the hype, Casamigos is my hands-down favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

No dice, so I got Chestnut farms and Joe Morgan's bourbons instead. Off we go!

State by state allocations vary wildly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty excited. Our private barrel of Blantons (Picked with much buddies in 155th Airlift Squadron back in May) just shipped out from Buffalo Trace yesterday.

I think I bought 8-9 bottles this year since folks in the Guard unit were spooked by the $55 price (vs $35 for Eagle Rare the previous 2 years). :lol: Meanwhile people are losing their minds to buy Regular  Blantons (let Alone a great private barrel pick) for more than that... 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Pretty excited. Our private barrel of Blantons (Picked with much buddies in 155th Airlift Squadron back in May) just shipped out from Buffalo Trace yesterday.

I think I bought 8-9 bottles this year since folks in the Guard unit were spooked by the $55 price (vs $35 for Eagle Rare the previous 2 years). :lol: Meanwhile people are losing their minds to buy Regular  Blantons (let Alone a great private barrel pick) for more than that... 

 

 

In Michigan, the regular Blantons is in the mid $50 range, and I very much enjoy it from time to time. What is different when it comes to the private barrel selection? I'm intrigued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

No dice, so I got Chestnut farms and Joe Morgan's bourbons instead. Off we go!

Chestnut is very easy drinking but a little lacking in depth for the price point. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MrJimiT said:

In Michigan, the regular Blantons is in the mid $50 range, and I very much enjoy it from time to time. What is different when it comes to the private barrel selection? I'm intrigued.

Well... Blantons is unique in that they are ALL single barrel products, rather than “batched” barrels blended to hit a flavor profile. In that sense, a private barrel pick of Blantons isn’t AS unique as other batched products. 

However there is a belief that “honey barrels” (better ones) are often pulled for private selections. The flavor difference between 4 “Blantons” barrels is pronounced. We intentionally went with a unique barrel that is “off profile” a bit for Blantons.... it’s different and was a unanimous favorite among our group in blind sampling. It’s a goodie. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stopped at the bar for a drink with a friend and got a Blantons for you guys. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Stopped at the bar for a drink with a friend and got a Blantons for you guys. 

Pretty nice to find it at a bar, hopefully a decent price as well. Not many places around here have it and the few that do its like $16 for a pour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, freeannyong said:

Pretty nice to find it at a bar, hopefully a decent price as well. Not many places around here have it and the few that do its like $16 for a pour. 

I think it was maybe $8-10 a pour? My friend picked up the tab but Blantons is easy to find In Michigan. There are probably 3 or 4 bars in walking distance of my house that serve it. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2018 at 1:15 PM, Hov34 said:

 

Basil Hayden has been my go to (neat) for a while, although I would prefer Blantons if I could afford it.

 

 

Also have Michter's in the mix for an under $40 bottle.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2017 at 8:44 AM, Buzzbait said:

Just thought I'd update on my experience with the Bourbon tasting event at Jungle Jim's.

Heavy hors d’oeuvres, live music and of course lot's of bourbons :yes:. I tried all of the following:

Angel's Envy
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Bulleit 10 year
Calumet
High West
Russell's Reserve 10 year
Woodford Double Oak
Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Rye
Stranahan's
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Of those the best IMO were the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon and Calumet. The best bargain bourbon was Russell's Reserve 10 year. Not too shabby for about $33.

All in all a big :thumbup:

Had some Russell's 10yr Sat night while watching the fight.  It's my buddy's new go-to bourbon.  Damn good stuff.  Still like my 1792 a bit better though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last weekend I polished off a bottle Four Roses Small Batch ($29.99). It was my first time ever having it and I am pretty sure its now my go to daily drinker. Anyone have a better suggestion in the same price range?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know many whisky guys don't think much of Basil Hayden's, but for $25 at Costco I could not pass it up.  I think its a good light 80 pf. bourbon when I feel like pounding down a couple fingers before heading out - goes down so easy and has a nice flavor for me.  At that price, I've got no problem if my neighbor wants to mix it with Coke or whatever else he's got.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I know many whisky guys don't think much of Basil Hayden's, but for $25 at Costco I could not pass it up.  I think its a good light 80 pf. bourbon when I feel like pounding down a couple fingers before heading out - goes down so easy and has a nice flavor for me.  At that price, I've got no problem if my neighbor wants to mix it with Coke or whatever else he's got.

 

I’m a big fan. It’s one of my go tos at steak houses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright @[icon], you are heading on a trip overseas, what will you be hunting?  Also, pick up anything good lately?

I was selected in a raffle that allowed me to purchase a bottle of George T Stagg 2018 at retail, which was nice.  Its good stuff.  I offered to open it one night so my buddy showed up with his bottle of Blade & Bow 22.  Drank those, some Weller Antique, and then compared our two different bottles of Blantons STFB (your recommendation which is amazing).  His was higher proof which we both preferred.  It was a good bourbon night!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just polished off a bottle of David Nicholson Reserve.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ditka...mike ditka said:

Alright @[icon], you are heading on a trip overseas, what will you be hunting?  Also, pick up anything good lately?

I was selected in a raffle that allowed me to purchase a bottle of George T Stagg 2018 at retail, which was nice.  Its good stuff.  I offered to open it one night so my buddy showed up with his bottle of Blade & Bow 22.  Drank those, some Weller Antique, and then compared our two different bottles of Blantons STFB (your recommendation which is amazing).  His was higher proof which we both preferred.  It was a good bourbon night!

That is a murderers row you guys tasted! Very nice. 

Overaeas Europe will have been pretty picked over by now, but I’m always looking for old Willetts, and I’m hoping to grab a bottle of Blantons SFTB to swerve as my hotel room bottle for the 2 week stretch,  Germany will be my best shot for that though I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also really enjoy Basil Hayden.

and Elmer T Lee is fantastic but almost impossible to find anymore in NY.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2018 at 11:28 AM, CletiusMaximus said:

I know many whisky guys don't think much of Basil Hayden's, but for $25 at Costco I could not pass it up.  I think its a good light 80 pf. bourbon when I feel like pounding down a couple fingers before heading out - goes down so easy and has a nice flavor for me.  At that price, I've got no problem if my neighbor wants to mix it with Coke or whatever else he's got.

 

 

You need new whisky guy friends, and new neighbors.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I added a cool piece of history to my bar area, a prescription for whiskey written by a doctor in 1924 on a form provided by the Treasury Department that uses the same paper as money at the time: https://i.imgur.com/paqZqt2.jpg

Then I upped my Old Fashioned game by getting these Cibi crystal glasses used by Harrison Ford in Blade Runner. Here's mine in the wild: https://i.imgur.com/j6kk1xH.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Shrugs said:

I added a cool piece of history to my bar area, a prescription for whiskey written by a doctor in 1924 on a form provided by the Treasury Department that uses the same paper as money at the time: https://i.imgur.com/paqZqt2.jpg

Then I upped my Old Fashioned game by getting these Cibi crystal glasses used by Harrison Ford in Blade Runner. Here's mine in the wild: https://i.imgur.com/j6kk1xH.jpg

Cool stuff all around!

I have been looking for good whiskey glasses forever. I must own 8 different styles, but I still haven’t found one I love. Those however...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kutta said:

Cool stuff all around!

I have been looking for good whiskey glasses forever. I must own 8 different styles, but I still haven’t found one I love. Those however...

These ones are real quality, have the unique look and the movie connection, but they are large at about 12.5 oz and they are designed so that you drink from one of the four corners of the glass rather than the thick side walls. I knew this from watching youtube videos before buying. This guy demonstrates how you drink from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz2tTS8fInU. There is a smaller version of the glass at 22cl (about 7.5 oz) that is a little less expensive, so that could be a better choice if you're just drinking whiskey neat. I went with the larger because they are true to the movie and I want to be able to make an old fashioned in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Shrugs said:

These ones are real quality, have the unique look and the movie connection, but they are large at about 12.5 oz and they are designed so that you drink from one of the four corners of the glass rather than the thick side walls. I knew this from watching youtube videos before buying. This guy demonstrates how you drink from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz2tTS8fInU. There is a smaller version of the glass at 22cl (about 7.5 oz) that is a little less expensive, so that could be a better choice if you're just drinking whiskey neat. I went with the larger because they are true to the movie and I want to be able to make an old fashioned in them.

I’d go with the large ones. I drink a lot of whiskey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Shrugs said:

These ones are real quality, have the unique look and the movie connection, but they are large at about 12.5 oz and they are designed so that you drink from one of the four corners of the glass rather than the thick side walls. I knew this from watching youtube videos before buying. This guy demonstrates how you drink from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz2tTS8fInU. There is a smaller version of the glass at 22cl (about 7.5 oz) that is a little less expensive, so that could be a better choice if you're just drinking whiskey neat. I went with the larger because they are true to the movie and I want to be able to make an old fashioned in them.

I’d go with the large ones. I drink a lot of whiskey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big League Chew said:

coworker has been telling me about Larceny bourbon

 

Anyone try it?

https://modernthirst.com/2014/03/13/bourbon-review-larceny/

Middle of the road wheated bourbon, and very easily obtainable.  Not bad but just not much depth IMO. I would take Maker's Cask Strength or Maker's 46 over it. They are also obtainable but slightly higher $.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2018 at 3:57 AM, Shrugs said:

I added a cool piece of history to my bar area, a prescription for whiskey written by a doctor in 1924 on a form provided by the Treasury Department that uses the same paper as money at the time: https://i.imgur.com/paqZqt2.jpg

 

That is awesome.  Where did you get it?  My wife is a pharmacist.  Pretty sure she'd let me put this up over our bar.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2018 at 7:01 PM, Ron Swanson said:

Heads up guys, the Wellers are hitting the stores, at least in FL.

My neighbor the drunk just got three bottles of Weller Antique 107.   Good stuff, especially for the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hov34 said:

That is awesome.  Where did you get it?  My wife is a pharmacist.  Pretty sure she'd let me put this up over our bar.

 

I got it off ebay. They’re actually not very expensive (the framing cost more). There’s the same seller on both ebay and Etsy who has a bunch of them. Here’s her ebay listings: https://www.m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?sid=ginger.1&isRefine=true&_pgn=1. I think the 1924-25 Treasury Department forms look the best. You have to pay a little extra to get a form on which the doctor wrote whiskey rather than the more common spiritus fermenti. And the more legible ones usually go for a bit more. I looked up the names of the patient, doctor and pharmacist on mine and found they were real people.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, Galileo said:

I cut my teeth on Jack...drank it like water at one point in my life.  But, once you start expanding your horizons, you are not likely to go back.  Once in a blue moon I will still sip a Gentleman Jack, but the Old No.7 black label is now a relic for me.

Did the same but had some Old 7 last week and still enjoyed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.