What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

10 Year Old Boy (son of Rep Scott Schwab) Dies On The Worlds Tallest Water Slide (1 Viewer)

Decapitated???

54" & 14 year old required...he was 10.  Wonder how tall he was.

What an awful story.  Can't imagine what his parents must be feeling. I hate letting my kid go to six flags.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, we have season passes to King's island here in Ohio every year.  They have a huge water park full of slides and rides.  All my kids ever want to do is go into the wave pool.  I always bugged them about not going on anything else.  Never again.  

Horrible story , a parents nightmare. I hope he did this on his own and a parent didn't approve of him going on the slide. 

wow...fun turns tragic.  Terrible.  

This story says boy was 12...still underaged
It's shocking and hopefully we get the story correctly reported here in the next 24 hours.

It freaked me out reading it as my son and I frequent water parks (living in South Florida) and we love water slides.....especially the fast and high drop types. We love Blizzard Beach's Slusher Gusher and Summit Plummet. But they are not like this particular slide where your on a raft. I actually saw this slide the boy died on featured on the Travel Channel "Extreme Water Parks" show.

Just an awful tragedy here. I feel for those parents. 

Omg--such a terribly sad story.  My condolences to the family of the young boy.   There is an aerial picture of the water slide floating around online where the water towards the back half of it is completely red.   Do yourselves a favor and avoid seeing that picture.  F'n terrible.  

Looks like riders are in a seat belt harness...or at least supposed to be.  You can see the shoulder strap on the guy in this video.
Is that chain link fencing encompassing the top of the slide? He was probably too small for the harness, slipped out on the way down then his chin probably caught on of the links in the fencing snapping his head clean off due to the speed of the descent. 

Looks like riders are in a seat belt harness...or at least supposed to be.  You can see the shoulder strap on the guy in this video.
Wow--if you look closely at that video--right at the bottom of the first hump around the 2:11-2:12 mark--there is an actual gap/opening in the netting.   My guess is that if he wasn't harnessed in properly--that very point at the bottom of the drop is where somebody could easily get kicked up and airborne--and if he somehow flew up into that gap at 70mph-- and hit the brace where the next set of netting starts--that would be absolutely catastrophic.   Such a tragedy

So there is a cage to keep the raft from flying off the slide but no rollcage/bars/anything to protect the riders if that was to happen?  :loco:

Wow--if you look closely at that video--right at the bottom of the first hump around the 2:11-2:12 mark--there is an actual gap/opening in the netting.   My guess is that if he wasn't harnessed in properly--that very point at the bottom of the drop is where somebody could easily get kicked up and airborne--and if he somehow flew up into that gap at 70mph-- and hit the brace where the next set of netting starts--that would be absolutely catastrophic.   Such a tragedy
There is definitely a gap.  It is even more visible in other videos out there, but it doesn't seem likely for someone to come out of their seat at the bottom of the hill.  In fact, physics dictates that this would be the location where you would feel pressed into the seat the most.

Update

A park guest alludes to the possibility of a harness not functioning properly, but obviously that is nothing official and the investigation is ongoing.

There is definitely a gap.  It is even more visible in other videos out there, but it doesn't seem likely for someone to come out of their seat at the bottom of the hill.  In fact, physics dictates that this would be the location where you would feel pressed into the seat the most.

Edit:  Looks like you are right.   This video seems to show some damaged netting on the 2nd hump of the ride--

http://m.kmbc.com/news/person-dies-at-schlitterbahn/41091622

Some other fairly crazy news regarding this slide:

According to this quote (source below):

Lying back in our raft, we're instructed not to lean forward or raise our arms under any circumstance, as the center of gravity offset could cause the raft to lift off the slide.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2014/07/09/verruckt-water-slide-schlitterbahn-park/12411769/

Normally I would agree with you--but it looks as though this might not be the complete case with the engineering of this slide.   If the kid was too small to be properly strapped in--he may have had a hard time staying in a lean center/back position.   Either way--it's super disturbing.  

According to this quote (source below):

Lying back in our raft, we're instructed not to lean forward or raise our arms under any circumstance, as the center of gravity offset could cause the raft to lift off the slide.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2014/07/09/verruckt-water-slide-schlitterbahn-park/12411769/
According to that article, riders experience about 5 gs at the bottom of the hill.  So, a 100 lb rider would feel as if they were 500 lbs.  I think the worry of lift would be during the initial descent, or more likely, at the top of the second hill.  Thus, I am sure, the reason for the netting.  I do not know how much the raft slows down do to hitting water at the bottom of the 1st hill.  The article says the "raft slows a bit before a blast of water propels" it over the second hill.  If significant enough, a sudden raft slowdown could result in an unsecured rider being "thrown" in front of the raft and either subject to the water blast or having the raft thrust over them.  The description of "slows a bit" is hard to interpret.  Flying out at the top of the second hill could still result in hitting the framework structure of the netting system.  I don't think a gap would be necessary for a catastrophic result .  

As a side note, that article says that the 14 yr old age restriction was lifted, but a height requirement was still in place.

According to that article, riders experience about 5 gs at the bottom of the hill.  So, a 100 lb rider would feel as if they were 500 lbs.  I think the worry of lift would be during the initial descent, or more likely, at the top of the second hill.  Thus, I am sure, the reason for the netting.  I do not know how much the raft slows down do to hitting water at the bottom of the 1st hill.  The article says the "raft slows a bit before a blast of water propels" it over the second hill.  If significant enough, a sudden raft slowdown could result in an unsecured rider being "thrown" in front of the raft and either subject to the water blast or having the raft thrust over them.  The description of "slows a bit" is hard to interpret.  Flying out at the top of the second hill could still result in hitting the framework structure of the netting system.  I don't think a gap would be necessary for a catastrophic result .  

As a side note, that article says that the 14 yr old age restriction was lifted, but a height requirement was still in place.
You are actually right. I stand corrected. I literally edited my original comment right at the same time you posted this. A report from the scene seems to show damage to some netting on the second hump of the ride.  Your knowledge of physics was spot on.  

Agreed. That is why I am having a hard time believing they have the cage there to keep the raft from flying off the slide but it doesn't appear there is anything on the raft to protect the riders in the event they were to make contact with that cage. Obviously, the most likely part of a person to hit first is the head/face in that case. I am no engineer but it would seem to me a bar rising from the front of the raft that spans the length and connects to the back of the raft (think of the shape of a clothes iron) would at least offer some protection upon contact. Or extend the backs on the seats higher. Something. Anything. The way it appears to be designed currently, the first thing (sadly) that would seem to hit is the head/face of one of the riders :( :unsure: :loco:

I don't know of an age requirement. I know last year our neighbors took their kids there for there birthday. All of them went on the ride - twin 12 year old girls and a 9 year old boy. If there is an age requirement it is not enforced. We went last summer, we stuck to the lazy rivers.  

I don't think we'll go back to the park and this tragedy plays a pretty big factor.

Was he really decapitated? I've read it in messageboard comments but haven't seen a single news source that has said it.

And if it was decapitation, that doesn't mean that his head came off. It could have been an internal decapitation from whiplash.

Sounds like some design flaws on this one.

usually amusement park creators are diligent with their testing which is why accidents are rare.

curious who let the underage kid on the ride.....and how are they supposed to know his age? The honor system? Kids don't carry ID

How long before the child chipping advocates spin this story for their agenda?

Was he really decapitated? I've read it in messageboard comments but haven't seen a single news source that has said it.

And if it was decapitation, that doesn't mean that his head came off. It could have been an internal decapitation from whiplash.
There was a lot of blood.  Don't go to the gory side of reddit.  

My guess is at a minimum his throat was slashed.  

I imagine the netting is there in case a gust of wind makes this thing liftoff.  

And is it really a water slide if you are buckled into a raft that has a trickle of water running down it?  #getoffmylawn

There was a lot of blood.  Don't go to the gory side of reddit.  

My guess is at a minimum his throat was slashed.  
There was a tweet from someonei n the park that used the term. Decapitated.

I live in Florida, and will hop on any rollercoaster in the state, but just looking at some of th the water slides out there just scare the piss out me.

Any word on the age or experience of the person who was monitoring and allowing and sending people off at the top of the slide?

I would not want to be that person.  

This waterslide had issues during the design and build process. They had to add the net and raft because test dummies kept flying off the slide. 

There is no way I would have ever let my own kids on that thing. It's been a disaster since they started building it. And now this poor kid and family are paying the price. I hope they shut that thing down and blow it the #### up. 

Sounds like some design flaws on this one.

usually amusement park creators are diligent with their testing which is why accidents are rare.

curious who let the underage kid on the ride.....and how are they supposed to know his age? The honor system? Kids don't carry ID

How long before the child chipping advocates spin this story for their agenda?
I think I read (either an article or upthread) that there is no age restriction.  There was one at an earlier time, but it had already been removed well before this incident.

Any word on the age or experience of the person who was monitoring and allowing and sending people off at the top of the slide?

I would not want to be that person.  
Not that I have seen. From a piece linked above:

"Three riders are weighted together on a scale, and combined must be between 400 and 550 lbs. Riders must be at least 54-inches tall, and while previously the park had instituted an age minimum of 14 years, they've since removed it, saying the height requirement is sufficient."

Sounds like the people running the ride have to do kind of an ad hoc engineering job each time they run it. Have to find 3 people who (combined) fit the weight requirements and then (I would think) load them strategically in the raft for optimal performance/safety. Gotta be some training involved.

Lets say dad (225lbs) and mom (125) and son (75) want to ride together. They fall in range (425lbs) but how do you load them? Heaviest in middle seat? Too much weight in back and the front can lift and the thing can take off like a plane. Too much weight in front and the ### end can lift up. :unsure:

Not that I have seen. From a piece linked above:

"Three riders are weighted together on a scale, and combined must be between 400 and 550 lbs. Riders must be at least 54-inches tall, and while previously the park had instituted an age minimum of 14 years, they've since removed it, saying the height requirement is sufficient."

Sounds like the people running the ride have to do kind of an ad hoc engineering job each time they run it. Have to find 3 people who (combined) fit the weight requirements and then (I would think) load them strategically in the raft for optimal performance/safety. Gotta be some training involved.

Lets say dad (225lbs) and mom (125) and son (75) want to ride together. They fall in range (425lbs) but how do you load them? Heaviest in middle seat? Too much weight in back and the front can lift and the thing can take off like a plane. Too much weight in front and the ### end can lift up. :unsure:
I do not know the details but if what you are saying is true and I'm sure it is...this boy was riding with 2 other people down the slide so there are a minimum of 2 others suffering PTSD of the worst kind today, I can't imagine. 

I do not know the details but if what you are saying is true and I'm sure it is...this boy was riding with 2 other people down the slide so there are a minimum of 2 others suffering PTSD of the worst kind today, I can't imagine. 
Guess you don't read tims posts much

Scoresman said:
WTF, there's a reddit dedicated to photos of dead children.  
No body, but showed the red slide.  The sub is well known, and surely got crossposted.  There are some sick subs out there.

VandyMan said:
I think I read (either an article or upthread) that there is no age restriction.  There was one at an earlier time, but it had already been removed well before this incident.
Still brings up an interesting question of how age is verified when there a restriction on these sorts of attractions

Still brings up an interesting question of how age is verified when there a restriction on these sorts of attractions
Obviously age would be on the parents. Height and weight on the ride operators.

My son worked at Busch Gardens in college. I wouldn't let him tie my shoes much less strap me in to thrill ride.

Sorry Jon.

culdeus said:

And is it really a water slide if you are buckled into a raft that has a trickle of water running down it?  #getoffmylawn
No. It's a roller coaster. It's a roller coaster that is not attached to any track at all. 

And the only thing the net would do at those speeds is keep the car from flying away and landing on bystanders. The net doesn't do anything to protect the riders.

culdeus said:

No. It's a roller coaster. It's a roller coaster that is not attached to any track at all. 

And the only thing the net would do at those speeds is keep the car from flying away and landing on bystanders. The net doesn't do anything to protect the riders.
The net's purpose seems to be to keep people from flying out.  The owner put it this way when they introduced the ride...

The initial opening of the Verrückt was delayed several times as the development team made adjustments. Mayor Holland attended the grand opening.

Also at the opening was Jeff Henry, a co-owner of Schlitterbahn and a designer of the Verrückt.

The ride is covered in netting because the sides of the chute are low so the riders can see out.

It’s nice to always know that nobody’s ever going to come out of the ride,” Henry said on opening day.

Henry told USA Today at the time of the opening that the slide was dangerous, “but it’s a safe dangerous now. Schlitterbahn is a family water park, but this isn’t a family ride. It’s for the thrill seekers of the world, people into extreme adventure.”

All the steep slides I've seen are enclosed tubes to prevent this type of accident. This is a very bad situation.

Users who are viewing this thread