What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Donald Trump for President thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should Clarence Thomas recuse himself from matters of affirmative action? Should a female judge recuse herself from rape cases? This is incredibly silly.

Wow, dude. LOL

I know who would make a great judge, that dillweed sheriff from Arizona. Clearly unbiased.
It's a statement of fact, and in the Wiki article I published.  The black Judges who made that ruling weren't challenged on it.  Who in their right mind would challenge that a black judge might be unduly biased by issues of race?  Political and career suicide.  Maybe the black Judges made the right call.  Maybe there is such incredible mental discipline when you become a Judge that you are able to rise above inherent biases.  Then again, maybe not.

As has been pointed out Sotomayor said the bit about 'wise Latina' and I'm really damned sure that Scalia was a big Catholic and constitutionalist. No one ever asked her to recuse herself from any cases because of her statement or him from abortion case and teh wide myriad where his overt expressions have been made clear.

Did you watch the Tapper interview by any chance?

Trump abandoned the SDLBA argument for 'he's Mexican' and 'I'm building a wall.' So let's stick to what is actually going on here, Trump himself did not maintain his argument when pressed.

And his attorneys are free to bring a motion to recuse at any time. They're pretty irresponsible to let Trump lose a Motion for Summary Judgement and have the case set for discovery and trial at this point, don't you think? Heck it sounds like Trump should fire his lawyers.
That begs the question, if Trump win the Presidency, would he ask Sotomayor to recuse herself from any case brought by his Justice Department? I can see him saying she should be disqualified because "I want to build a wall and she has bragged about being a Latina".

Let's get blacks and Latinos out of the judiciary because they might be sympathetic to issues regarding blacks and Latinos. Great idea, Jim Crow.
Where did I say that?  Please point it out.  This is exactly what I mean about personal bias.  Your knee-jerk, evisceral reaction to me as a Trump supporter caused you to completely miss a point I have made numerous times.  It's not about the race of the person.  I am solely focusing on their participation in Advocacy Groups.

That's pretty funny actually, and thought provoking.  I guess it comes down to what people believe results in a significant personal bias.  Because yeah, you could take this to ridiculous extremes (i.e. _ the Judge is a Democrat).  It's a judgment call.  And in my opinion, there is soooo much passion around the issue of Latinos and Trump that if there ever was a case of philosophical / racial conflict of interest, this would be it.  I think the Judge should just step down and end the controversy.  Plenty of other Judges without potential conflicts of interest could take this on.

Are you ####ing insane?  Aren't you the guy who goes on and on about how much you work with lawyers and how you know so much law stuff?  You really seem to be a genuine guy, even when we disagree about stuff, but this isn't a position of someone who wants to be considered a thoughtful person wants to take.  You can't say: "Mexicans are rapists" and then get a judge kicked off your case because, even though he's American, he's got Mexican relatives.  Seriously, your position is so confoundingly misguided and ignorant it borders on the laughable.  You don't want to be laughable do you?

Hint:  There is a reason that Trump's lawyers have not made a motion to recuse, and that's because they have a duty to only bring forward legitimate arguments.  They'd probably get sanctioned if they tried to actually recuse the judge. 

There is not any state bar in this nation that would agree with you. Belonging to a minority lawyer's association is not considered a conflict of interest or grounds for recusal (unless it was some situation where the group itself was a party to the litigation).
You are correct.  I'm saying that this should change.  Let's end the identity politics bs in this country, and let's start with the Judges.

Do you think a minority lawyer's association is needed anymore?  Would you object to a white lawyer's association?  How would you feel about a lawyer who belongs to the white lawyer's association ruling on the Freddie Gray case?

That begs the question, if Trump win the Presidency, would he ask Sotomayor to recuse herself from any case brought by his Justice Department? I can see him saying she should be disqualified because "I want to build a wall and she has bragged about being a Latina".
Right. And legal rules set precedents, no reason Trump should get favored for special treatment, if the rule applies for him the rule applies everywhere. Which would be total chaos and immediately drive the law back into a question of racial/ethnic identification which we basically fought 100 years getting out of.

I don't really know what this group is, what they do/have done. I also am not a lawyer, know dickall about judges and how they are deemed ineligible to rule over cases.

How Trump chose to attack this issue is exactly to me why he is the biggest ##### going right now. Instead of making a distinction like Higgs is here, which with my lack of knowing anything seems wrong and incorrect, but I can at least see a point. Trump instead says "He's Mexican, Okay". He didn't misspeaks, get taken out of context. I haven't called him a racist, but this is indefensible. He really is a miserable person.

You are correct.  I'm saying that this should change.  Let's end the identity politics bs in this country, and let's start with the Judges.

Do you think a minority lawyer's association is needed anymore?  Would you object to a white lawyer's association?  How would you feel about a lawyer who belongs to the white lawyer's association ruling on the Freddie Gray case?
There are no white lawyer's associations, because no one has ever felt the need to even start one.

Are you ####ing insane?  Aren't you the guy who goes on and on about how much you work with lawyers and how you know so much law stuff?  You really seem to be a genuine guy, even when we disagree about stuff, but this isn't a position of someone who wants to be considered a thoughtful person wants to take.  You can't say: "Mexicans are rapists" and then get a judge kicked off your case because, even though he's American, he's got Mexican relatives.  Seriously, your position is so confoundingly misguided and ignorant it borders on the laughable.  You don't want to be laughable do you?

Hint:  There is a reason that Trump's lawyers have not made a motion to recuse, and that's because they have a duty to only bring forward legitimate arguments.  They'd probably get sanctioned if they tried to actually recuse the judge. 
I think you need to read all my posts this morning.  Once again, I'm not objecting to the Judge because of his race.  And as far as Trump not filing a formal motion, I don't know why this hasn't been done and I don't think anyone else does either.  Maybe it's coming.  Maybe he realizes that it's the Judge who would rule on it, and that he doesn't have a shot of it happening anyway.

i'll ask you the same question I've asked everyone else in here today - which nobody wants to answer... Would you be ok with a Judge who was involved with a white supremacist organization - the newfangled kind that doesn't advocate violence or hate - but merely is an identity politics organization promoting causes favorable to whites in the same way that La Raza does - would you be ok with this judge sitting on the Freddie Gray case?

Well, that's your boy. Congrats.

Hey, I know who else would make great judges, the Duke Brothers from Hazzard County! Or maybe the judge from Texas that wouldn't take down the Ten Commandments. Any other ideas Higgs?
Are you going to answer my hypothetical about judges belonging to white supremacist groups?  Or are you going to dodge it?

Are you going to answer my hypothetical about judges belonging to white supremacist groups?  Or are you going to dodge it?
Ok you blew by my point about supremacist groups being different from various bar/professional associations based on ethnicity/race.

There are no white lawyer's associations, because no one has ever felt the need to even start one.
Uh, no.  There are none of these organizations because they are politically incorrect.  You didn't answer my question though.  Is a group like La Raza still needed is 2016 America?  If so, why exactly.  How are Latinos as an ethnic precluded from attending college or becoming Lawyers. I thought discrimination was illegal, no?

Or is Trump cribbing America's feelings? Trump's foreign policy ideas are, at best, half-baked. At worst, they are completely unformulated. But Trump's popularity isn't about policy (unfortunately). It is about frustration with the status quo.
So anger is the point of the campaign and his support, yes. Every single policy argument is screwy.

What will be the point of his presidency?

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, the minority bar associations that are found in every state are not advocating black, Asian, Hispanic, Jewish, or gay supremacy. You keep making a false equivalency.

Uh, no.  There are none of these organizations because they are politically incorrect.  You didn't answer my question though.  Is a group like La Raza still needed is 2016 America?  If so, why exactly.  How are Latinos as an ethnic precluded from attending college or becoming Lawyers. I thought discrimination was illegal, no?
Documented discrimination against minorities still exists in 2016, whether you as a white, male, heterosexual believe it or not.

Ok you blew by my point about supremacist groups being different from various bar/professional associations based on ethnicity/race.
Thank you.  There's a method to my madness Saint.  I'm more committed to true equality than people in here understand.  I was the guy in here who railed against identity politics and said it would lead to a huge backlash.  And it has.  It is my opinion that Donald Trump's energy Is coming from this very issue.  Discrimination of any kind is wrong.  People are tired of there being two sets of rules in this country.  Unfortunately the Left refused to moderate their stance on this and doubled down during the Obama Presidency, and the end result is going to be Donald Trump coming in and tearing all this nonsense to shreds.

Higgs, This is La Raza.

This is the Sand Diego Latino Bar Association aka the San Diego La Raza Bar Association.

Two different things.

Documented discrimination against minorities still exists in 2016, whether you as a white, male, heterosexual believe it or not.
I didn't ask if it's still happening, I asked if it's legal.  Of course discrimination still exists in the world.  There's plenty of reverse discrimination going on as well, only difference is that's the kind that is legal. 

Thank you.  There's a method to my madness Saint.  I'm more committed to true equality than people in here understand.  I was the guy in here who railed against identity politics and said it would lead to a huge backlash.  And it has.  It is my opinion that Donald Trump's energy Is coming from this very issue.  Discrimination of any kind is wrong.  People are tired of there being two sets of rules in this country.  Unfortunately the Left refused to moderate their stance on this and doubled down during the Obama Presidency, and the end result is going to be Donald Trump coming in and tearing all this nonsense to shreds.
Higgs I tell you what, I sort of have a personal rule here where I don't get into value judgements with people. You and I basically disagree at this point. I've laid out that what Trump wants is not a legitimate reason for a recusal, in fact I think it's a disingenuous ruse, that la Raza and the SDLBA are two different things, and that IMO racial and ethnic based legal groups are part of the national landscape and that this rule if applied to Trump would have to be applied everywhere and if so it would lead to horrible consequences. That's my view.

Now ideally would it better if judges weren't politically connected? Yes, that to me is a much bigger issue but as The General pointed out Trump has no problem influencing public officials including possibly two AGs on the Trump U matter. That bothers me a lot more. As I've pointed out to me Trump and Hillary are just two sides of the corruption coin. He buys, she solicits.

But if you're expecting lawyers and judges to forget their ideological and personal background when they step on the bench? No, that is never going to happen and I'm thinking that's not even a good idea. Do I want a judge to completely forget where he comes from or what he believes in? No. So if you and I have a difference of values on this then fine that's where you are and this is where I am.

Re:  La Raza, the facts are not important anymore.  In the Trumpiverse, he is a member of a radical Mexican group, not a bar association.

I'm not going to legitimize your stupid question by equivocating white supremacist groups and a group that advocates Latino participation in the legal profession. Have you no idea why such an organization might exist and why a Hispanic judge might want to participate in it?
You're a coward then.  It's a legitimate question.  Even Saint acknowledged it.  Your refusal to even address this issue speaks volumes, both on you personally and the fallacy of your modern liberal views on identity politics, affirmative action and reverse discrimination.

Considering your avatar, I'm curious: would you say any judge who's a member of this organization shouldn't be allowed to hear a case in which an Irish person was involved?

I think you need to read all my posts this morning.  Once again, I'm not objecting to the Judge because of his race.  And as far as Trump not filing a formal motion, I don't know why this hasn't been done and I don't think anyone else does either.  Maybe it's coming.  Maybe he realizes that it's the Judge who would rule on it, and that he doesn't have a shot of it happening anyway.

i'll ask you the same question I've asked everyone else in here today - which nobody wants to answer... Would you be ok with a Judge who was involved with a white supremacist organization - the newfangled kind that doesn't advocate violence or hate - but merely is an identity politics organization promoting causes favorable to whites in the same way that La Raza does - would you be ok with this judge sitting on the Freddie Gray case?

I am a member of the Native American bar association, along with thousands of other lawyers.  Are you suggesting that I and anyone else who was a member could not be a judge for a slip and fall case just because at one point in his life, one of the parties to the suit said: "I think Native Americans are rapists; and some, I assume, are nice people." 

And I don't know about your fictitious "really nice person white supremicist organization," (again, laughable).  Why don't you try something that really exists.

And furthermore, you are laughably changing the hypothetical.  Trump isn't making speeches saying that the judge is biased because of his ties to political organizations.  He is calling the judge "A Mexican" (even though he's not) in front of crowds of thousands.   And saying that he isn't fit to judge Trump because he's "a Mexican" (although he's not).

Finally:  Let's pretend that the judge in the Freddie Gray case is a former cop.  Or a former prosecutor.  Or a former or current member of the National Fraternal Order of Police. Would I go around saying that the judge "must be biased" just because he shares the same political views as police and therefore CAN'T be impartial?  Ummm. . . I'd want a LOT more information before saying something asinine like that.

Jesus, man, you've really drunk the cool-aid.

I didn't ask if it's still happening, I asked if it's legal.  Of course discrimination still exists in the world.  There's plenty of reverse discrimination going on as well, only difference is that's the kind that is legal. 
Discrimination in employment against LGBT people is still legal in 26 states. As has been pointed out, you can get legally married on Sunday, but fired on Monday for being gay. And to say that because it not legal to discriminate means there is no discrimination is laughable to most anyone who is a member of a minority group.

I know they are two different things.  The San Diego La Raza Lawyer's Association is still an Advocacy Group.  It's right there on their website in their Mission Statement:

• Strongly advocate positions on judicial, economic and social issues to political leaders and state and local bar associations that impact the Latino community.
The Liberal liars in here continue to post false articles claiming that this group isn't an Advocacy Group.  They clearly are.  In no uncertain terms.  They even use the word "strongly".

:lmao:

You keep saying: "But I'm not a racist!!"  

You also keep saying that you are a smart guy.  Smart, non-racist people don't say things like this.  They just don't.  For about a zillion reasons.  So, if you say something like this, I hate to say that I conclude that you are either not racist, but not really smart.  Or you are smart, but probably kinda-racist.

Hint:  There is probably a reason why there isn't a "white lawyer's association."

Trump's popularity in and of itself proves that racial advocacy groups should still exist. What a joke.
Don't take it from me - they guy who predicted his rise, predicted his winning the Nomination, and predicted him winning the Presidency.  Listen to your Leftie friends who see what they want to see.  I'm fine either way, because the end result will happen regardless.

I know they are two different things.  The San Diego La Raza Lawyer's Association is still an Advocacy Group.  It's right there on their website in their Mission Statement:

• Strongly advocate positions on judicial, economic and social issues to political leaders and state and local bar associations that impact the Latino community.
The Liberal liars in here continue to post false articles claiming that this group isn't an Advocacy Group.  They clearly are.  In no uncertain terms.  They even use the word "strongly".
Ok then you can start on your part by correctly identifying the group you're discussing.

Again, the amount of mental gymnastics it takes to support Trump.
Careful, I got put in timeout for saying this.  I did I add fragile minded as well.  But I am not calling anyone in this thread fragile minded, to be clear.  You guys are all very unfragile, very strong okay?

FYI, the minority bar associations that are found in every state are not advocating black, Asian, Hispanic, Jewish, or gay supremacy. You keep making a false equivalency.

OK.  You are hung up on the word "supremacy".  What about the hypothetical of a White Lawyers Group.  You ok with something like that springing up?  Giving scholarships to people based on race?  "Keeping the money in the community" so to speak?  You ok with that?  You ok with a lawyer from that group ruling on the Freddie Gray case?

You keep saying: "But I'm not a racist!!"  

You also keep saying that you are a smart guy.  Smart, non-racist people don't say things like this.  They just don't.  For about a zillion reasons.  So, if you say something like this, I hate to say that I conclude that you are either not racist, but not really smart.  Or you are smart, but probably kinda-racist.

Hint:  There is probably a reason why there isn't a "white lawyer's association."
  :lmao:  Of course - lose the argument and jump right into calling the person a racist.  Straight out of the Liberal handbook.

It's abundantly clear that you are intellectually or emotionally incapable of having this debate, so let's just call it a day shall we?

Ok then you can start on your part by correctly identifying the group you're discussing.
I correctly identified the Organization and linked to their website at the start of the conversation.  Then I linked to it again.  And again.  Sorry I didn't type it out completely in subsequent posts.  I thought it was pretty well established that I was dealing with the correct group.  I'm trying on a phone and it's a pain in the ### having to type out "San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association" every time I mention them.

OK. You are hung up on the word "supremacy". What about the hypothetical of a White Lawyers Group.
Once again you are failing to make an accurate comparison, because "White" is not comparable to "Latino".

Latino = person of Latin-American descent.

White = skin color.

Now, if you want to talk about a hypothetical lawyer association dedicated to promoting issues that relate to the European-American community, then there would be nothing wrong with that. We already know that there are bar associations for German-Americans, Italian-Americans, etc., so it shouldn't be a stretch to imagine that a Euro-American bar association could exist.

I suspect, however, that someone like you would not be interested in belonging to such a group, because you would be forced to include Spanish-Americans and other dark-skinned types that don't fit your "white" scenario.

It is pretty painful.
Hey - I will certainly acknowledge that at times my candidate has put me in the position of having to be a contortionist.  But by far - the worst mental gymnastics in here are from the left when they try to defend identity politics and reverse discrimination.  That is truly painful to watch.  I kind of like the bananafish approach - waive the white flag and run for the hills.  :lmao:

Once again you are failing to make an accurate comparison, because "White" is not comparable to "Latino".

Latino = person of Latin-American descent.

White = skin color.

Now, if you want to talk about a hypothetical lawyer association dedicated to promoting issues that relate to the European-American community, then there would be nothing wrong with that. We already know that there are bar associations for German-Americans, Italian-Americans, etc., so it shouldn't be a stretch to imagine that a Euro-American bar association could exist.

I suspect, however, that someone like you would not be interested in belonging to such a group, because you would be forced to include Spanish-Americans and other dark-skinned types that don't fit your "white" scenario.
Oh look - another Liberal losing an argument and resorting to personal attacks of racism.  So cute.

You guys really are a sorry bunch.  Not even capable of having rationale discourse anymore.  So sad.  So very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread