What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽️⚽️⚽️OFFICIAL - MLS PLAYOFF THREAD - ⚽️⚽️⚽️ (1 Viewer)

ChiefD

Footballguy
Sporting Kansas City starts their 2023 playoff run on 10/25 against San Jose. This is the official thread. Sporting is gonna BRING THE HEAT!!!!!!!!

Let’s hear your thoughts MLS fans,

:headbang:

Going to be a rough road for KC I fear. First they have to deal with the play in game, and if they get past SJ they get the top seed St Louis.

The only thing I don't like about SKC squeaking into the playoffs is it gives Vermes validation that what he is doing is working.

Not a fan of him right now and we have 4 more years of it after his extension. This team is old and slow and the defense is terrible.

Sporting Kansas City starts their 2023 playoff run on 10/25 against San Jose. This is the official thread. Sporting is gonna BRING THE HEAT!!!!!!!!

I'm a very casual soccer fan (pretty much watch World Cup and Euro Championships only), but the following of SKC is huge down here in Springfield, MO. They are doing something right on the marketing front anyway. I'd love to catch a game in KC at some point, hear the atmosphere is really good for MLS.

Rooting for them and will be slightly paying attention.

The only thing I don't like about SKC squeaking into the playoffs is it gives Vermes validation that what he is doing is working.

Not a fan of him right now and we have 4 more years of it after his extension. This team is old and slow and the defense is terrible.
This is one of the oddities of US sporting formats. Making the playoffs is considered successful and yet we know the marginal teams were far from that.

I enjoy the US style playoffs but in terms of pure competition nothing beats a single table, balanced schedule, winner take all regular season like around the world uses.

I'm a very casual soccer fan (pretty much watch World Cup and Euro Championships only), but the following of SKC is huge down here in Springfield, MO. They are doing something right on the marketing front anyway. I'd love to catch a game in KC at some point, hear the atmosphere is really good for MLS.

Rooting for them and will be slightly paying attention.
Sporting KC is one of the best business comebacks we have seen in US sports.

For many years they ran on fumes. There were times you could count by hand all the fans in the stadium.

But then they sold the team, built the new stadium and rode the MLS growth wave perfectly. It is very impressive.

As for the tournaments you watch, you will have fun next summer. We will have the Euro Championship and the Super Copa America back to back.

The Super Copa will effectively be the dress rehearsal for the WC. All South American teams and the best North American teams, hosted mostly here in the US. This may also be Messi’s last big tournament.

Last edited:

To think at one point I wanted PV for USMNT coach. Now I want him to just go away.

Been raining here all day and calling for more later. Maybe some thunderstorms.

I just hope they can get this in without delays.

Hey, while we’re here - I’ll be on a work trip in KC next week, and I’ve been tasked with finding a BBQ place for dinner. There’ll be around 8 of us. Prefer to ask here before Googling. Go Sporting! Smash (checks notes) San Jose!

Hey, while we’re here - I’ll be on a work trip in KC next week, and I’ve been tasked with finding a BBQ place for dinner. There’ll be around 8 of us. Prefer to ask here before Googling. Go Sporting! Smash (checks notes) San Jose!

Q39 gets my vote.

Yeah, Q39 wouldn't be bad. It's good because they can accommodate a group of that size and the food is good. Not my fave but it will do.

To me it kind of depends on if any of the group has been to KC before. And also what part of town they are staying in. If they want the true KC old school BBQ experience it's either Gates or Arthur Bryants.

After that I go:

Joe's KC. The original on 47th Street in the gas station. Not the best setup for 8 people but it's got character and you can find places to sit. You just may need to sit at separate tables. The Joe's KC out south has a little better seating situation.

I'm gonna give you another one that is effing awesome but not as many people know about it:

Blind Box in Shawnee (a suburb but close to everything). The owner is the nephew of some old friends of mine. Traditional BBQ with a twist. Really, really good.

Whoah, I'll be in KC next week as well for work. Cornhole? We could invite a local like ChiefD as well.

Jack Stack can also handle crowds. Get a reservation quick tho.

Another option that can work, County Road Ice House in Power and Light serves Joe's BBQ. Shouldn't been too hard to accommodate a crowd on a weeknight. The food isn't as good as at original Joe's (IMO), but I've never seen it overly busy.

A soccer thread made me hungry?

That seems like such a non-apropos thing. Every time I see those guys, all I can think of is how I no longer even attempt to run a mile and that I should watch the old diet.

Whoah, I'll be in KC next week as well for work. Cornhole? We could invite a local like ChiefD as well.

Jack Stack can also handle crowds. Get a reservation quick tho.

Another option that can work, County Road Ice House in Power and Light serves Joe's BBQ. Shouldn't been too hard to accommodate a crowd on a weeknight. The food isn't as good as at original Joe's (IMO), but I've never seen it overly busy.
Yeah, that's a good call on Jack Stack.

If ya'll wanna meet up for a beer let me know. I'm down.

NY Charlotte hogged all the goals. :)

Congrats on advancing KC fans. Should be a fun match up with St Louis. The atmosphere should be great in this series.

Survive and advance. This thread lives another week.

St Louis gonna destroy Sporting KC. We are gonna have tired legs that series.

Nobody wins against Melia when the game goes to PKs.
It is an uncanny skill set he has. He might be the best the league has ever seen in this area.
It's especially odd because he's short. GK's always seem to be better shot stoppers when they are taller, but this difference is greater (IMO) when it comes to PKs.

Oddly my google results say he is 6'1", I've seen him in person at games several times and I think he's more like 5'10".

Nobody wins against Melia when the game goes to PKs.
It is an uncanny skill set he has. He might be the best the league has ever seen in this area.
It's especially odd because he's short. GK's always seem to be better shot stoppers when they are taller, but this difference is greater (IMO) when it comes to PKs.

Oddly my google results say he is 6'1", I've seen him in person at games several times and I think he's more like 5'10".
Rimando was also short and quite good at PK's if memory serves. I agree it is an odd combo.

Hope you are right. I have this fear that they had such a great run during the regular season and are going to choke it in the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong.

Go STL
I think if this were a one-game playoff SKC could win that game. I just don't see any way Kansas City can win two of three with St. Louis. Your team is legit good.

Hope you are right. I have this fear that they had such a great run during the regular season and are going to choke it in the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong.

Go STL
I think if this were a one-game playoff SKC could win that game. I just don't see any way Kansas City can win two of three with St. Louis. Your team is legit good.
I have only watched a handful of games this year. The ones I've seen, and things I've read on others, we break down into these things:

* sloppy play in the D
* excellent play by our keeper
* fantastic play on set pieces

@ChiefD @Jayrod @Poke_4_Life thanks for the bbq recs. I think I’m leaning towards Arthur Bryant’s on Brooklyn. It doesn’t look like they do reservations. Think we’ll have any issues getting in - about 7 of us on a Wednesday?

I’m open to a cornhole but I think it’s unlikely. I’m likely to be pretty busy the whole time - it’s a conference and every night there’s some networking thing, so if I can do it’ll be pretty last minute with me coming in here and saying NOW! LET’S GO GO GO.

@ChiefD @Jayrod @Poke_4_Life thanks for the bbq recs. I think I’m leaning towards Arthur Bryant’s on Brooklyn. It doesn’t look like they do reservations. Think we’ll have any issues getting in - about 7 of us on a Wednesday?

I’m open to a cornhole but I think it’s unlikely. I’m likely to be pretty busy the whole time - it’s a conference and every night there’s some networking thing, so if I can do it’ll be pretty last minute with me coming in here and saying NOW! LET’S GO GO GO.
No idea about AB's. I've been there a few times, but no idea how busy it will be on a random Wednesday night. I bet you'll be fine with 7.

I'm free every night but Wednesday. Is your conference downtown? I'm staying downtown, near the convention center.

Yeah, you should be good at 7:00 on a Wednesday. Just note they close at 8 so I would try to be there with plenty of time. That's the original Bryant's. So don't expect a fancy joint. This is old school BBQ like it's been served there for a million years. You will definitely get some great food and experience the true KC BBQ experience.

No idea about AB's. I've been there a few times, but no idea how busy it will be on a random Wednesday night. I bet you'll be fine with 7.

I'm free every night but Wednesday. Is your conference downtown? I'm staying downtown, near the convention center.
I'm pretty much free every night next week as well (I think). Let me know where you are staying and I can meet you somewhere. The Ice House isn't a bad place to be. Food is decent and pretty laid back.

I get off work at 4:30 and work about 10 minutes from downtown.

Users who are viewing this thread