What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Believe That The Modern "Tipping" Culture Has Gone Completely Out Of Control? (1/30) (1 Viewer)

I have never had a garbage man that I felt deserved a tip. Even here. We just moved in and the very first pickup our trash guy knocked over the recycle bin.

On the other hand, I give our garbage men some kind of liquor/beer every Holiday season. Living in a small town it's pretty much the same crew all year. I never have any problem disposing of anything I need to regardless of whether it's "heavy trash day", "hazmat Friday", "bloated corpse Monday" or not.

I went to a brewery yesterday.

No server comes to your table. You pull up menu on your phone, order beer and food by clicking the item on menu, and use Apple Pay or your CC. No interaction with server to explain anything about the beer or food. If you wanted water they had a dispenser, but you had to get it yourself.

The so called server just runs out whatever you order and drops it off on the table, never said a word.

When I go to pay the lowest amount to tip was 25% unless you want to do custom to make it lower. I am not tipping 25% for someone to make one trip to drop off 2 beers with chips and hummus, also we had to bus our own table when done! Bill was 30.00, I left a custom 5.00 and that was too much for the service received.

No server comes to your table. You pull up menu on your phone, order beer and food by clicking the item on menu, and use Apple Pay or your CC. No interaction with server to explain anything about the beer or food. If you wanted water they had a dispenser, but you had to get it yourself.

The so called server just runs out whatever you order and drops it off on the table, never said a word.

When I go to pay the lowest amount to tip was 25% unless you want to do custom to make it lower. I am not tipping 25% for someone to make one trip to drop off 2 beers with chips and hummus, also we had to bus our own table when done! Bill was 30.00, I left a custom 5.00 and that was too much for the service received.
That’s basically fast food. No tip

Tipping question. Is this classy or arrogant?

Was on vacation last week with 3 other couples. One guy who lives by a buddy of mine who fell into our circle of friends is filthy rich, I mean he pees $$$. Been a CEO of 2 companies, on the board of others. The rest of us live good lives too but not in the same league.

We went out to dinner or lunch 5 times, he picked up the whole tab twice.

When I pick up the table tab I go to the server in private and take care of it. No bill ever comes to the table. When he picked it he waited until the server said how do you want the bills..he loudly announces I will cover the bill for everyone. It is generous but he wanted everyone to know.

The other times when we did our own bills instead of adding a big tip to his own, after everyone paid the server came over to say anything else? he would pull out a 100 dollar bill not in private but in front of everyone and say "This is extra for you"

If you see him he is a little guy, not good looking, been divorced 3 times, now dating a female 20 years his junior who dinks like she is at a frat party. I mean we have 8 people at dinner and the server comes over with 8 shots of Patron that she ordered, more than once. We have already been drinking on a boat and need food.

I told my wife cut him some slack as it is obvious, he is very insecure, my wife said he is a pompous asss and can`t stand being around him.

Issue is now he is calling us all the times to do things and my wife wants no part of being around him.

I thought this was an interesting twist on the subject.

Daughter works at a restaurant as a hostess and waitress.

CEO comes in and orders take out for his family.

He pays for the take out and leaves no tip.

Personally, I don't typically tip for carry out either but this is their CEO.

She says the staff (his employees) are pissed. They now believe he is full of crap when saying he values the company's employees. His lack of putting aside a few bucks for staff has seemed to cause a real morale issue now.

Tipping question. Is this classy or arrogant?

I think the word is tacky.

He might also be insecure, and a showoff, or want to impress and make everyone feel poor, but lack of discretion is also possible, and doesn't mean he's a jerk.

I grew up seeing a lot of new money. Bunch of hard-working guys who made their own money. And they were flashier with it than people who had money forever. But they were good dudes, in general. They would make a big show out of getting shots for everyone, but that's just how they were when they didn't have money. :shrug:So, ya know, it would be out of character for them to do anything discreetly, including pick up a tab.

I just thought your question was interesting because I know a bunch of show-offy guys, but they are salt of the earth, IMO. They're just mooks. :lol:

I'm sure this has been covered, but it's still annoying.

Took my dad and step mom out for their birthdays last weekend. Their birthdays are a week apart, so we normally just combine things. So in all, there were eight of us. Six adults, and two kids (that split an order) at a local Hibachi place. Dinner was good, chef was decent ... not the best showman I've seen at these places, but adequate.

Bill comes at about $300, which was about what I was expecting, considering the drinks, appetizers, etc. They added an 18% gratuity, bringing the bill to about $350. OK, I'd rather that not be automatic, but I would have tipped at least that much anyway, so no big deal. I give the waitress my credit card, and she comes back with the tag to sign. Not itemized, just $350 ... with a line below where I could add a tip. WTF? They automatically take an 18% tip, then ask for another one?

Took my dad and step mom out for their birthdays last weekend. Their birthdays are a week apart, so we normally just combine things. So in all, there were eight of us. Six adults, and two kids (that split an order) at a local Hibachi place. Dinner was good, chef was decent ... not the best showman I've seen at these places, but adequate.

Bill comes at about $300, which was about what I was expecting, considering the drinks, appetizers, etc. They added an 18% gratuity, bringing the bill to about $350. OK, I'd rather that not be automatic, but I would have tipped at least that much anyway, so no big deal. I give the waitress my credit card, and she comes back with the tag to sign. Not itemized, just $350 ... with a line below where I could add a tip. WTF? They automatically take an 18% tip, then ask for another one?
that's just the way the cc receipt prints. it can be changed, but its a PITA. very shady of her to not bring the itemized receipt back. she's hoping you didn't notice and will tip her twice.

WTF? They automatically take an 18% tip, then ask for another one?
So far as I'm aware, this is standard and has been since the mid-1990s. Sucks, but the customer has to be aware of auto-tipping policies. If a place makes it difficult to notice an auto-tipping policy ... that's a good time to raise a stink to management. Usually, it's clear on the menu or at more thoughtful places, on signage near the door.

So far as I'm aware, this is standard and has been since the mid-1990s. Sucks, but the customer has to be aware of auto-tipping policies. If a place makes it difficult to notice an auto-tipping policy ... that's a good time to raise a stink to management. Usually, it's clear on the menu or at more thoughtful places, on signage near the door.
the server should be verbalizing it when they drop the cc receipt to be signed

I think that was my main issue. I wasn't aware of the auto-tip. They didn't hide it on the first bill, but half the time, I just look at the bottom number and hand them my card. It was a pure accident that I even saw it. Then the CC receipt wasn't itemized, but had a tip line. It just bothered me.

I think that was my main issue. I wasn't aware of the auto-tip. They didn't hide it on the first bill, but half the time, I just look at the bottom number and hand them my card. It was a pure accident that I even saw it. Then the CC receipt wasn't itemized, but had a tip line. It just bothered me.
it bothered you because you were being scammed or at the very least duped. that was a conscious decision by the server to get you to tip twice

it bothered you because you were being scammed or at the very least duped. that was a conscious decision by the server to get you to tip twice
I asked the waitress about it, and maybe it's just the cynic in me, but I swear her English speaking ability seemed to decrease dramatically. I could not understand what she was saying.

the server should be verbalizing [auto-tip policy] when they drop the cc receipt to be signed

For sure. Although I would say at the institutional level, customers should know what they are walking into ahead of time. Having a noticeable, non-hidden auto-tip notice on the menus, IMHO, is the absolute bare minimum -- and only just. Ideally, people would be notified before they were even seated.

I am surprised you left anything man.....what service? Glorified food runner?

Out of control.

I asked the waitress about it, and maybe it's just the cynic in me, but I swear her English speaking ability seemed to decrease dramatically. I could not understand what she was saying.
straight up scam. your intuition was right.

Then the CC receipt wasn't itemized, but had a tip line. It just bothered me.

Always think twice if you're not presented with an itemized bill. The CC receipt won't be itemized, true, but there should most definitely be an itemized accounting of what your table ordered. Not only for auto-tip tracking ... but also so you can verify that items aren't added to your bill (either by accident or on purpose). Or that the wrong entree wasn't rung up, an item was double-counted, or something like that.

Always think twice if you're not presented with an itemized bill. The CC receipt won't be itemized, true, but there should most definitely be an itemized accounting of what your table ordered. Not only for auto-tip tracking ... but also so you can verify that items aren't added to your bill (either by accident or on purpose). Or that the wrong entree wasn't rung up, an item was double-counted, or something like that.
there was an itemized receipt. the server removed it when she brought the cc bill to be signed. shady as heck

there was an itemized receipt. the server removed it when she brought the cc bill to be signed. shady as heck
Right. The original bill had an itemized receipt. She took that, along with my credit card, and brought back just the slip to be signed.

I should probably look more at the itemized bills at restaurants. I rarely do.

The thing that sets me in the "completely out of control" opinion is when I see it with online retailers. I've bought a few pairs of wireless earbuds from this one place in the past. Got an email the other day about a sale there, so put a couple things in my cart to see how much it would end up being after applying a discount code and adding shipping. Final payment page has a tipping option to "show your support for the team," with 5%, 10%, 15%, custom, or none options.
I'm not sure if I was going to complete the order anyway, but that helped me make up my mind not to.

Here’s a new one. Buying T-shirt’s and beer to go for the T-shirt exchange today. Woman was rude. We had a lot of trouble communicating. No idea why. She puts the handheld thing up and says it’ll be 88 and change. Walks away. I happily say no tip and hit enter. $71 and change total. She quoted me the price with the 25% tip built in. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

That’s a new one on me. Don’t be guilted people. And I’m in the biz.

Many places include the tip for parties of 8+ as it requires more attention. The waitstaff should have made it clear that Itwas automatically added.

Here’s a new one. Buying T-shirt’s and beer to go for the T-shirt exchange today. Woman was rude. We had a lot of trouble communicating. No idea why. She puts the handheld thing up and says it’ll be 88 and change. Walks away. I happily say no tip and hit enter. $71 and change total. She quoted me the price with the 25% tip built in. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

That’s a new one on me. Don’t be guilted people. And I’m in the biz.

Probably got the idea from concerts

New one today. We had someone spray the exterior of our house for bugs. Never interacted with them. Went online to pay and it asked if I wanted to leave a tip. FFS.

Here's a new one:
Pay restaurant bill on machine at table, add a tip on the tipping screen by picking one of the default options, then I get a screen that says "You tipped $x.xx Would you like to add to that tip?"
I've never seen a screen asking about adding to the tip. The service was decent and I picked the 25% button so it's not like i picked a low one or custom tip.

Here's a new one:
Pay restaurant bill on machine at table, add a tip on the tipping screen by picking one of the default options, then I get a screen that says "You tipped $x.xx Would you like to add to that tip?"
I've never seen a screen asking about adding to the tip. The service was decent and I picked the 25% button so it's not like i picked a low one or custom tip.
I would reply with yes, and then add a -25% tip

Here's a new one:
I would reply with yes, and then add a -25% tip
I was looking at it so long in confusion another server walking by goes "Just say no"

She says the staff (his employees) are pissed. They now believe he is full of crap when saying he values the company's employees. His lack of putting aside a few bucks for staff has seemed to cause a real morale issue now.
Someone should tell him (the CEO) the impact that had on the employees.

Is this a business that has a card machine that made him select "no tip" or was this a cash transaction? Just curious.

Went to the beach last weekend in Del Mar. We grabbed a early lunch and this place with a nice patio. Very average (not baller level) spot. Food was OK, service was fine. Nothing special but nothing that would have me dying to come back either. Paid the bill and when the tip option came up in the mobile device they had me pay with tip options were…. 25%, 30% and 35%!!!!! I about fell out of my chair. I honesty think I audibly gasped. 25% as the low option. Un. Believe. Able.

Went to the beach last weekend in Del Mar. We grabbed a early lunch and this place with a nice patio. Very average (not baller level) spot. Food was OK, service was fine. Nothing special but nothing that would have me dying to come back either. Paid the bill and when the tip option came up in the mobile device they had me pay with tip options were…. 25%, 30% and 35%!!!!! I about fell out of my chair. I honesty think I audibly gasped. 25% as the low option. Un. Believe. Able.

I saw this on twitter a few days ago - not sure if its real.

20/30/50/100%

20/30/50/100%
After what I saw I wouldn’t be surprised.

Someone should tell him (the CEO) the impact that had on the employees.

Is this a business that has a card machine that made him select "no tip" or was this a cash transaction? Just curious.
Card.

ALWAYS bring CASH just for tip to avoid this !!!!

There's never been a kiosk situation you can't 0 tip on I've ever seen. Or inout a custom number. This is just to get the lazy idiots.

There's never been a kiosk situation you can't 0 tip on I've ever seen. Or inout a custom number. This is just to get the lazy idiots.

I've never seen that either. Always a custom option.

20/30/50/100%
“Custom” is the go to here

20/30/50/100%
Saw that too, was wondering if real. Hope not but these days who knows.

It's still normal around here, tip suggestions but always a custom option as well.

Saw that too, was wondering if real. Hope not but these days who knows.

It's still normal around here, tip suggestions but always a custom option as well.
Saw one just like that except it didn't have a 100. 50 was the highest. Same stupid comments though. Pretty much looks identical.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I was at the grocery store the other day and thought out of all the people who don't get tipped, the cashier and especially the person bagging my groceries probably deserve a tip jar. While I hope this doesn't become a trend, I occasionally slide them a 5 because I appreciate when they carefully pack up my bags. They're definitely doing a lot more work than someone making me a frothy latte.

Took the kids to ACL Music Festival a couple weeks ago. Entire festival was cashless, and you could attach a card to the chip on your wristband and made buying things super easy. But everything there had a tip screen. $4 Liquid Death or $16 cocktail, you stared at $1, $2, $3 tip boxes. Even the merch tent, tip screen with three different percentage amounts. As my kids were old enough to roam solo, quickly told them to only tip the min. Between merch, food and drinks, my AMEX tells me I spent almost a grand, with probably around $150 in tips for people turning around, grabbing something and handing it to me.

In the moment, was so happy and enjoying myself I didn't care, but coming back and returning to real life, was a bit annoyed.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I was at the grocery store the other day and thought out of all the people who don't get tipped, the cashier and especially the person bagging my groceries probably deserve a tip jar. While I hope this doesn't become a trend, I occasionally slide them a 5 because I appreciate when they carefully pack up my bags. They're definitely doing a lot more work than someone making me a frothy latte.

I think tipping baristas is ok. I've noticed they work extremely fast keeping up with all the orders. Especially when a lot of the orders are of the order of 1 tall latte with 2 pumps maple syrup, 1 pump nonfat gluten free vanilla, 2 teaspoons mountain grown burnt amber sugar... blah blah blah. I dont know how they get all that right. Bagging groceries is way easier by comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread