What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Believe That The Modern "Tipping" Culture Has Gone Completely Out Of Control? (1/30) (1 Viewer)

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I was at the grocery store the other day and thought out of all the people who don't get tipped, the cashier and especially the person bagging my groceries probably deserve a tip jar. While I hope this doesn't become a trend, I occasionally slide them a 5 because I appreciate when they carefully pack up my bags. They're definitely doing a lot more work than someone making me a frothy latte.

I think tipping baristas is ok. I've noticed they work extremely fast keeping up with all the orders. Especially when a lot of the orders are of the order of 1 tall latte with 2 pumps maple syrup, 1 pump nonfat gluten free vanilla, 2 teaspoons mountain grown burnt amber sugar... blah blah blah. I dont know how they get all that right. Bagging groceries is way easier by comparison.

That's a good point. I guess there's levels to making a coffee nowadays espcially if you're into all those fancy add ons but for a simple pour I think it's stupid.

I had my first experience yesterday with a fast food worker who expected a tip. I was on my way home from a conference and needed to grab something to eat at DFW. My layover was too short for a sit-down meal, so I stopped at a Pizza Hut, grabbed a pizza that was sitting there under the warmer, and asked for a medium soft drink. The guy gave me my drink, I ran my card, he gave me a receipt to sign (no computer menu). I scratched out the tip line, filled in the total for the amount of my food, and gave the receipt back. The guy behind the counter goes "Gee, nothing for me I guess -- well okay then."

Not that it matters, but this was a white guy who looked like he was in his early 20s, and also pretty scruffy.

I'm genuinely baffled as to why this guy thought I was supposed to tip him. Literally all he did was pour one fountain drink and ring me up. Your hourly wage doesn't sufficiently compensate you for that? If this merits a tip, then what doesn't merit a tip?

Anyway, I just ignored the guy, scarfed down my pizza and went on my way, after making a mental note to check out this thread. We clearly need to redouble our efforts here.

I had my first experience yesterday with a fast food worker who expected a tip. I was on my way home from a conference and needed to grab something to eat at DFW. My layover was too short for a sit-down meal, so I stopped at a Pizza Hut, grabbed a pizza that was sitting there under the warmer, and asked for a medium soft drink. The guy gave me my drink, I ran my card, he gave me a receipt to sign (no computer menu). I scratched out the tip line, filled in the total for the amount of my food, and gave the receipt back. The guy behind the counter goes "Gee, nothing for me I guess -- well okay then."

Not that it matters, but this was a white guy who looked like he was in his early 20s, and also pretty scruffy.

I'm genuinely baffled as to why this guy thought I was supposed to tip him. Literally all he did was pour one fountain drink and ring me up. Your hourly wage doesn't sufficiently compensate you for that? If this merits a tip, then what doesn't merit a tip?

Anyway, I just ignored the guy, scarfed down my pizza and went on my way, after making a mental note to check out this thread. We clearly need to redouble our efforts here.

I was walking with my wife and see this carry out pizza joint on the door says "Slices"

Walk in and they have 3-4 different pies sitting under a lamp. After waiting a couple of minutes a kid comes out. I say 2 slices of the cheese, he grabs the 2 slices, puts them on a paper plate. Rang it up it came to almost 8 bucks. I hand him a 10 and he says "Do want change back? I say yes..he looked annoyed as he gave me $2.20 back. Eff him!

Last edited:

I was walking with my wife and see this carry out pizza joint on the door says "Slices"

Walk in and they have 3-4 different pies sitting under a lamp. After waiting a couple of minutes a kid comes out. I say 2 slices of the cheese, he grabs the 2 slices, puts them on a paper plate. Rang it up it came to almost 8 bucks. I hand him a 10 and he says "Do want your change back? I say yes..he looked annoyed as he gave me $2.20 back. Eff him!

As we go more cashless, I've been noticing there's also a certain generation of people who hate the effort involved in making change. Gotta do math and handle bills and stuff. Tough work.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I was at the grocery store the other day and thought out of all the people who don't get tipped, the cashier and especially the person bagging my groceries probably deserve a tip jar. While I hope this doesn't become a trend, I occasionally slide them a 5 because I appreciate when they carefully pack up my bags. They're definitely doing a lot more work than someone making me a frothy latte.

I know some grocery stores actively push back against this. Publix for instance they are not allowed to accept tips.

But Publix also pays them well and even gives them stock options.

I know some grocery stores actively push back against this. Publix for instance they are not allowed to accept tips.

But Publix also pays them well and even gives them stock options.

Never shopped there but that's good to know. I guess I really appreciate the folks who bag my groceries. In NYC, grocery stores make you sack your own so I know how much I loathe doing it.

I don't tip for anything for which tips are not intended .... Handing a pizza or burger over a counter to me (which people are being paid a full wage to make) was never intended to be tipped. That's called a gift. I give gifts to my family and friend on special occasions, not random people on ordinary occasions.

Users who are viewing this thread