What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commish question RE: schedule (1 Viewer)

unckeyherb

Footballguy
I commish a 12 team keeper league that is going into its 14th year.  In an effort to spice things up we adopted Victory Points scoring many years ago.  This year we decided to eliminate the three divisions and just do straight VP scoring for playoffs (top six VP teams make it).  Previously, there were divisional winners, etc. 

I use the Footballguys schedule maker every year, but this year I looked and it appears that there is no option for 12 teams/13 weeks/ 0 conference/0 division.  Anyone have a similar situation?  I know I can do the previous concept of three divisions without actually having divisions, but that results in not playing every team at least once; was hoping to remedy that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I thought the concept behind Victory Points was that you play every team, every week - why do you need a schedule?

I thought the concept behind Victory Points was that you play every team, every week - why do you need a schedule?
There are many variations of victory points. Most of the leagues that I have played in that do victory points--still have you play a weekly head to head match.   In my leagues--you can get up to 4 victory points per week.  2 of them are dependent on if you win (2), tie (1) or lose (0) your head to head match.  The other 2 points are dependent on how your total weekly score compares to the rest of the leagues weekly scores (2 for top third), (1 for middle third) and (0 for bottom 3).   With that being said--it's probably not necessary for every team to play each other once--but if it could be done--why not?  

Not really, or at least not in our case.  The way we use it is to better reflect your team against the league while still maintaining head to head action.  Normally, if I score the second most points but just happen to play the team with the most points, I get a big fat 0.  This way, I'd still get 2 out of a possible 4 VP's, so my good score isn't a complete waste.  Good teams aren't as adversely affected by going against an unlucky schedule.  Similarly, crappy teams that might win a lot because they fell ### backwards into every other team's worst bye weeks may get VP's for wins but not necessarily for scoring against the league.  I'd recommend it to anyone.  

ETA: we score the same way as described above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I commish a 12 team keeper league that is going into its 14th year.  In an effort to spice things up we adopted Victory Points scoring many years ago.  This year we decided to eliminate the three divisions and just do straight VP scoring for playoffs (top six VP teams make it).  Previously, there were divisional winners, etc. 

I use the Footballguys schedule maker every year, but this year I looked and it appears that there is no option for 12 teams/13 weeks/ 0 conference/0 division.  Anyone have a similar situation?  I know I can do the previous concept of three divisions without actually having divisions, but that results in not playing every team at least once; was hoping to remedy that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
How do you want your schedule to play out?   

You could either a) manually create a schedule b) pick a schedule based on divisions and just play it out. 

Basically you have divisions for "show"

problem is that picking a schedule based on divs eliminates the possibility of playing everyone in the league.  

problem is that picking a schedule based on divs eliminates the possibility of playing everyone in the league.  
But how were you doing it in years past with three 4-team divisions in your league and a 13-week regular season? The reason the 3x4 league setup works well is that it lends itself so cleanly to a 14-game slate.

Personally I think your best approach would be to move to 14 weeks and cut the playoffs down to 4 teams. After all, the whole rationale for Victory Points is to award the better teams week-in and week-out and reduce the impact of H2H randomness. You can be a lot more confident that the 4 teams at the top of the standings are actually the four best teams in a VP scoring format than in an equivalent H2H league, and letting half the league qualify for the playoffs (which as a series of one-week contests, are highly random by definition) sort of runs counter to the spirit of using VPs in the first place.

An unorthodox (another word would be crazy) way of doing it...

1. Teams play each other once (11games)

2. Week 12 - starting from the team in first you can pick your own opponent until everyone has a matchup (prolly 1 vs 12, 2 vs 11, 3 vs 10 etc)

3.  Week 13 - same thing except starting from the team in last (prolly 12 vs 11, 10 vs 9, etc.)

Week 14 - Playoffs start

So, you would think it's going to be 1 vs 12 or 2 vs 11 in week 12, but maybe the owner who is in first wants to keep the team in 7th from making it because they are making a late season run so they choose 1 vs 7. Or they choose 1 vs 5 because they have a 1st round bye sewn up and the guy in 5th is that one guy in the league who no one likes.

I dunno...it's really whacky when I look at it but it could add some incredible intrigue.

What we do is each team plays everyone once (11 games).  Then for weeks 12-13 matchups are determined by record as of week 11 standings.

Week 12 is 1st place vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th etc..

Week 13 is 1st place vs 3rd, 2nd vs 4th etc...

This way the end of season has meaningful matchups.

Users who are viewing this thread