What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bragging, venting, crowing, grieving... (7 Viewers)

Pretty much that, only 1st in points and tied for 9th out of 10. 3-7 record. 

I've never really thought about it before this year, but why is fantasy football a head to head game? Seems like it would make more sense to just give the top half wins, and the bottom half losses, almost like Golf or Nascar. I know that isn't like real football(which is sort of fantasy's goal) but its not like you are facing a defense, so it would be more accurate in allowing the best teams to have the best records, and eliminate like 60% of the luck factor.

I suppose that is somewhat similar to the argument people have about best ball leagues.
Probably because it started as a head-to-head type deal. Head-to-head takes into account weekly variance in your lineup and certain strategic decisions made vis a vis your match-up. It also gives you a concrete competitor, whereas play all or play doubleheader leagues leaves too many players in the mix to properly cheer for and against. Some people play pure points leagues or offer cash prizes to those who score a certain amount of points, etc. They certainly exist. head-to-head just seems to be the large majority of the gaming format.  

Probably because it started as a head-to-head type deal. Head-to-head takes into account weekly variance in your lineup and certain strategic decisions made vis a vis your match-up. It also gives you a concrete competitor, whereas play all or play doubleheader leagues leaves too many players in the mix to properly cheer for and against. Some people play pure points leagues or offer cash prizes to those who score a certain amount of points, etc. They certainly exist. head-to-head just seems to be the large majority of the gaming format.  
Both of my H2H leagues include a significant prize (10% of the pot I believe) for the high-scoring team for the year. Seems like it's almost always one of the top few teams in the standings, but I haven't kept detailed records. 

Need to vent.  Just having one of those years where every week it's something.  Currently sitting at 12th place out of 12.  Don't think I've ever spent a week in last place before that I can recall, and I don't like it. 

Drafted Adams at 1.08, blech.  Drafted Juju at 2.05, Ben gets hurt.  Drafted Ertz at 3.08, he's quiet all year and Goedert vultures every TD.  My 2QBs in a superflex are Matt Ryan and Cousins, Cousins stinks up the joint for the first 5 weeks, I caught Minshew off waivers along the way and now he's sucking, then Ryan throws up a 3 pt game and gets hurt.  Singletary blows up on my bench, flops in my lineup. I pulled off a trade after Week 5 for Keenan Allen, now he's bench fodder.  Guice got hurt week 1.  I was frustrated with Ertz and picked up Dissly, he goes down.  AJ Green won't ever return from injury, just wasting away on my bench week after week.  I bid too little FAAB on Chark & McLaurin, and bid too much on Ty Johnson.  

I finally manage to beat my projection by about 20 points this week thanks to Jacobs, Ertz, and ESanders, but run into the guy who's in 10th place with Garoppolo and Kyler and he crushes me.  At this point I feel like every move I make is a bad one. 
Updating my misery.  I just lost this past week to a guy who started Jeff Freaking Driskel as his only QB in a superflex.  I was licking my chops all week knowing he was screwed bc the only starting QB on the the wire for him to use from was Finley, then Driskel after Stafford ruled out. This guy owns Watson and Wentz (both on bye) and roster limit is 3 QBs so he wasn’t dropping either of them to pick up Finley AND Driskel, so I knew at worst I’d be a 20 pt favorite.  But along comes the rest of his team:  Kirk, Cooper, AJones, Andrews, Pitt D, and Butker.   I did exactly what I was projected to do and got beat by 30.  

I’ve got 2nd lowest Points For, and second most Points Against. So I’m double horrible at this game.  

Favored to win by 41 points last week over an ownerless team who was drawing dead at two positions (Thielen, McCoy).  Still managed to lose by 0.6 points. I blame Kupp.

Pretty much that, only 1st in points and tied for 9th out of 10. 3-7 record. 

I've never really thought about it before this year, but why is fantasy football a head to head game? Seems like it would make more sense to just give the top half wins, and the bottom half losses, almost like Golf or Nascar. I know that isn't like real football(which is sort of fantasy's goal) but its not like you are facing a defense, so it would be more accurate in allowing the best teams to have the best records, and eliminate like 60% of the luck factor.

I suppose that is somewhat similar to the argument people have about best ball leagues.
I was on the other end of that last year. I was 8th in points but won the championship. This year I'm 5th in points and ranked 10/12. Guess I can't complain.

So my team in my team in my long-time friends and family league is not as potent as I thought immediately after the draft:

My 6 keepers (20-man roster and 10-team league):

Kerryon Johnson
David Johnson
Keenan Allen
Derrius Guice
Odell Beckham
Hunter Henry

And a bonus pick (4th round pick but realizing that close to 60 keepers are already off the board, the 4th round pick is perhaps akin to a 9th or 10th round pick): A.J. Green

Except for qb, k and defense, that's pretty much my starting lineup.  It's very possible that not one of these will be on my team in 2020. One thing is certain, I will be picking 1st or 2nd.  ugh

Had the choice of Josh Allen or Kyle Allen off the free agent heap last week to prepare for Russ Wilson’s bye.

Chose Kyle. Yeah...

Screw you Arizona...screw you SF....screw you both of you.....  Any of you watchign the AZ/SF  playing against the SF dfense know why.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyrek Hill goes down early last night ...  and my Sammy Watkins totals 2 catches for 26 yards.

I'd have been better off starting Nelson Algholor  :X

I've never had a season like this.  I have the most "Points For" in our league but sitting at 6-5 and in danger of missing the playoffs.  I've been facing guys having the weeks of their lives.

Deep 14 team league and I'm hurting for healthy WRs, figure I'll throw Pascal in vs. HOU as a viable home run swing, if nothing else I'll get a little something for his return yards.  Figured even with Hilton back, Zach will do something. I'll take a 4/40 game, 8 points, not asking too much. 

Dude is targeted one time.  ONE freaking target. No catches. No returns.  Big fat goose egg in my lineup to stare at all weekend now.  

was up 20 heading in to sunday night... still had aaron jones & gurley left to play... all he had left was ingram and tucker.... well gurley and jones score a combined 7 points.... and i lost by 8 and am now out of the playoffs. i need to quit this stupid hobby

Thought I’d cruise to #1 seed and points total a couple weeks ago with Kupp beasting, Waller playing good and Barkley coming back. Instead I gotta win this week to lock up the bye and do it by a good margin to keep the points lead. Luckily DJ Moore has stepped up otherwise I might have really been in trouble

96 team league, just cashed for best record/most points for in my division so already made my buy-in back a couple times over.  Plus got #1 overall seed for the league playoffs (highest seed always plays lowest ranked remaining seed each week) so I'm hoping for an extended playoff run and to cash more there.  Woot!

I had no idea Tate was injured. Will probably cost me the playoffs. I never checked since Thanksgiving :bag:

Last three weeks killed me...i got decent performances...but each week one or two guys have their best weeks against me.  Robert Woods and Devante Parker this week just killing me.  Front third place and rilling to but of the playoff picture without a big day out of Wilson and the Pats D.

NE keeping in James White all 2nd half and feeding him just cost me to miss the playoffs.  That and  losing by .12 points last week makes me want to quit this hobby.

If i actually checked sunday morning which i thought i did that Tate was out my only other option put up 20 points and I would win this week no problem and get a bye..

Now I need to sweat out a Monday night game for 14 points  .....  I most likely will lose 😡

Last three weeks killed me...i got decent performances...but each week one or two guys have their best weeks against me.  Robert Woods and Devante Parker this week just killing me.  Front third place and rilling to but of the playoff picture without a big day out of Wilson and the Pats D.
same two guys beat me this week.  came close to starting Goff over Winston but kept looking at the rankings so went Winston.

it's a big league for me & missing playoffs by 2 points.   {slump}

Came into the week with a 40-ish point lead in total points, which is worth 10% of the pot.  I get 1 TD out of CMC, Ingram, Tyreek, Westbrook, HH, and Waller, while the other guy gets 5 TDs between Henry, Snell, Robinson, Samuel and the Tampa D.  Oh, and he also started Lamar Jackson, while I left Goff, Guice and Deebo on my bench

I'm now ~8 points down, with Cousins tonight vs his Lockett.

First round bye in both my big money leagues. Would like to give a big shout out to Jackson and Patriots defense.

yeah i should've stuck with SF.  some of the worst tackling ive ever seen.
I had SF as well.  One defense ranked #2 for the week, the other mid 20's.  I get it but it's why I always hesitate to chase marginal, soft defenses with matchups come playoff time.  Been burned a lot - several times by the Eagles btw.  I'm going against Brees and Thomas next week so need 49rs to play tough no matter what.  Didn't think I'd start them over Eagles vs Giants at home but here we go.  All in with the team who helped get me here.

I have 1 of 3 teams not making the playoffs and it started the year with FBGuys rating it 99% chance to make playoffs with good management. Injuries, scoring system (TD League) have cast an underachieving cloud over it for most of the year. As bad as it’s been, I still had the chance to make playoffs at 7-6 with a win this week. It started on Thursday with the missed XP & FG’s by YoungHoe, the easy TD drop by Cook and it just got worse with Ronald Jones being Bruce Arians’d. The last dagger was Fuller’s drop which would have gotten me within striking distance for Lockett to perform a little MNF magic. This season was not meant to be for what looked to be a world beater after the draft :kicksrock:  

Good Luck to all of those still in the hunt, may MNF magic bless all FBGuys tonight!

Hello all,

I need some advice.  This my first time playing fantasy and if this isnt the forum for this question just let me know.  I want to know if it is a good thing to strengthen my bench by dropping  Jamaal Williams and grabbing Darrius Guice for the playoff run our playoffs are weeks 15 and 16.  If this is the place I can share the line up I have worked my ### off to build...

Looks like the Seahawks' method of running out the clock at the end got me the last two Harrison Smith tackles I needed to sneak into a 1st round bye, flipping a close loss to a close win!

Now I have to sweat till Thursday AM stat corrections to make sure!

First in points, missed the playoffs. Team who was last in points(300+ points less) made the playoffs. Fantasy football is random. 

Oh well, watch, I'll outscore all the playoff teams the last 3 weeks too. At least I'm in the top-700 in DFS. Maybe get lucky there.

Congrats to everyone who made it.

If i actually checked sunday morning which i thought i did that Tate was out my only other option put up 20 points and I would win this week no problem and get a bye..

Now I need to sweat out a Monday night game for 14 points  .....  I most likely will lose 😡
Thanks little baby Jesus

2nd highest in points in my longtime redraft, missed the playoffs by losing by two points last night. Pretty much knew it was gonna happen early on, started out 0-4 playing the highest point scoring team each week. Them’s the breaks.  :kicksrock:

Have a bye this week in 1 league so naturally my idle roster is blowing up: Brees, Winston (superflex), Aaron Jones, Diontae Johnson, ARobinson, Waller, Butker, Steeler D.

Looking foward to the collective bed-crapping next weekend, where I'm likely facing Zeke, CMC, Mostert, Cooper, Diggs and Godwin

Going for the 3peat in my league. Needed 12 out of Carson. Got 11 so tied 148-148. Goes to bench scoring him 30 me 29. Out in the first rd. 

Going for the 3peat in my league. Needed 12 out of Carson. Got 11 so tied 148-148. Goes to bench scoring him 30 me 29. Out in the first rd. 
If I’m reading this right, is this one of the last leagues out there not using decimal scoring?  Might have made a difference either way.

Still, tough loss.  Those silly close ones are ones you remember forever.

Arodin said:
If I’m reading this right, is this one of the last leagues out there not using decimal scoring?  Might have made a difference either way.

Still, tough loss.  Those silly close ones are ones you remember forever
I joined a seemingly longtime no-decimal this year and have not done any numbers cracking, but I won a game by one and can't help but think I should have lost. 

On another note, in my favorite league, Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray killed me in a Superflex. I not only missed the playoffs by a seasonal two points (yes, 1779-1777) but in the consolation bracket I raced out to a breakneck place only to see it ground to a halt by another suspect Murray performance. He hasn't been that bad, but he and Baker were not 1.12 and 2.01, respectively. That I sniffed the playoffs was a testament to late round drafting of Godwin, Robisnon, Jacobs, White, Waller, and others, but not the full-blown ### that went Baker, Murray, Damien Williams in the first three.

Pretty maids all in a row? Oof. 

:ptts:

Your draft stunk, guy.  

Thought I was going to sail to the next round with my 1st round bye...............................

But I saw my chances for a title go down considerably with Evans and Ridley likely out for the remainder of the year.

I wonder if Lamar Jackson can catch passes for me to go along with being a QB1 and a RB1? 

Users who are viewing this thread