What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maximizing chances of building a bankroll on a small budget on DK (1 Viewer)

marytechjane

Footballguy
Hi, does anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to try to build a bankroll on a small budget on Draft Kings? I usually have about $35/week to put in play with $5 of that going into a league that I play with friends so I have $30 to use on other contests.

Hi, does anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to try to build a bankroll on a small budget on Draft Kings? I usually have about $35/week to put in play with $5 of that going into a league that I play with friends so I have $30 to use on other contests.
Start here: Cracking DraftKings

It was written last Summer, so some of it may be a bit outdated, but 99% of what you're asking about (BR management) hasn't changed and is explained in detail therein.

John mentioned bankroll management. That's key. When you say that you have $30 to put into play ... does that mean that you have $100 set aside for playing at DraftKings, and you plan to play $30 of it each week? Or does it mean that you have $30 set aside for playing at DraftKings and you plan to play all of it each week?

If the latter, you are pretty much guaranteed to go broke at some point.

You should play only a percentage each week of what you have set aside for DFS. The percentage depends on what kind of contests you play (you can play a larger percentage if you're playing mostly cash games than if you're playing mostly GPPs [as long as you're either varying your own lineups or playing H2Hs so that your opponents' lineups are varied), how much overlay you can find (more overlay justifies playing a larger percentage), and whether you think you're a long-term winner, on average, at your current skill level (higher EV justifies playing a larger percentage).

In general, the responsible thing to do is to play somewhere between 10% and 30% of your bankroll each week depending on those factors. (Given that it's more fun to be irresponsible, and that losing $35 shouldn't hurt too much, I wouldn't blame you for betting your whole bankroll each week. But you specifically asked about how to make money rather than how to have fun -- and the first step to making money is to avoid losing all of it.)

Thank you for the replies,

John, I did go back and read the Cracking DK book last night and read over the money/bankroll management areas a couple of times and I think reviewing that information will help so thank you (some of the math just about made my head explode btw). :-)

Maurile, I can afford $140 per 4 weeks so using the general rule, should I be looking at it as having $140 and I can play 10%-30% ($14-$42) of that amount this week? ...or should I be breaking it down by week and look at it as having $35 ($140/4) to play each week for 4 weeks and putting 10%-30% ($3.50-$10.50) of that $35 weekly amount in play for each of the 4 weeks? I hope I did that math correctly.

Maurile, I can afford $140 per 4 weeks so using the general rule, should I be looking at it as having $140 and I can play 10%-30% ($14-$42) of that amount this week? ...or should I be breaking it down by week and look at it as having $35 ($140/4) to play each week for 4 weeks and putting 10%-30% ($3.50-$10.50) of that $35 weekly amount in play for each of the 4 weeks? I hope I did that math correctly.
If you can afford to lose $140 every 4 weeks, I'd say your bankroll is $560 for the season and that should be your starting point for all the math. If you want to risk 10% of that per week, then your weekly max would be $56. Then, if you want a 90/10 split for cash/GPP, then you'd be looking at about $50/week on cash games and $6/week on tournaments. 

If you can afford to lose $140 every 4 weeks, I'd say your bankroll is $560 for the season and that should be your starting point for all the math. If you want to risk 10% of that per week, then your weekly max would be $56. Then, if you want a 90/10 split for cash/GPP, then you'd be looking at about $50/week on cash games and $6/week on tournaments. 
this doesn't work because if he loses 56 the first two weeks, he can't continue the other two weeks of the month

I am totally not a money management guy like these guys managing a bank roll.

I think inexperienced people should do two things- play quarter games at DK for anything less than a full slate. Spend some time clicking on the 1 versus 1 people to try and find a non-expert to play against. Oh and every free contest of course

I think a week or two of this and your own ideas will form

I am small bankroll guy and I am very strict about 30% of money in play each week.  Less on week 1.  Somewhere around 7% on H2H and same on tourneys. Last year showed me that my ROI is lowest on those contests.  Then about 55% on 50/50 and double ups and 30% on X3 and X5.  Works well for me but over time if you track you stats you will likely find if you are more successful in some types on contests and less in others.  I would suggest you stick to lowest dollar contests and spread the money out over many contests.  If you play on DK I would go with the dollar games over the quarter ones because unless its changed the rake is higher on the quarter games.

Great. So what would you propose, then? 
Maurile. Whatever he says above and his articles on site. 

I think your 10% was a nice number to use there but I think you meant 6.25 or whatever 1/16 is

Last edited by a moderator:
Maurile. Whatever he says above and his articles on site. 

I think your 10% was a nice number to use there but I think you meant 6.25 or whatever 1/16 is
Nope. I meant 10%. Nobody with a reasonable amount of intelligence is going to lose EVERY contest they enter, especially if they are playing 90% cash games. 

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 3:23 PM, marytechjane said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:22 PM, Rock Lonemilk said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I guess it still comes down to defining what the timeframe for a bankroll is. Is my bankroll $35 (based on weekly), or $140 (based on monthly), or $560 (based on the season) (using 16 weeks as a season)? I know that works out mathematically to be an equal amount of money, but using the examples in the posts above it makes a big difference on what I should bet each week. I didn't really find a clear answer to timeframe for bankroll in the Cracking DK book.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread