What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I LOVE Elizabeth Warren: All aboard - WOO WOO!!! (7 Viewers)

Who cares  about the people that saved for their kids college education.  Let’s reward people that can’t budget or make good financial decisions.  Sounds fair...
If this is your logic, then any higher education outside of a community college is probably a poor financial decision.

If this is your logic, then any higher education outside of a community college is probably a poor financial decision.
Absolutely to start.  Case and point, my neighbors kid went to 60k a year college and graduated with poly science degree working at target now.  I know they couldn’t afford that as single mom and all.  Why not start at community college for 2 years then state state.  They could have gotten very similar education for 50k ish vs 250k. Besides most f these colleges could be providing free education because they are sitting on huge endowments.  Why does Harvard or Yale need 30 billion?  They could each provide education free forever.. 

Absolutely to start.  Case and point, my neighbors kid went to 60k a year college and graduated with poly science degree working at target now.  I know they couldn’t afford that as single mom and all.  Why not start at community college for 2 years then state state.  They could have gotten very similar education for 50k ish vs 250k. Besides most f these colleges could be providing free education because they are sitting on huge endowments.  Why does Harvard or Yale need 30 billion?  They could each provide education free forever.. 
I am going through this same decision tree with my kids right now (one HS senior and one entering 2nd year of college).  I support Warren, I don't really care about "fairness" of her student plan for reasons that I would be happy to get into but I think it would be better to bump the big thread we had when she first announced the plan.  There was a lot of good discussion in there that covered a lot of the points we would be going over.

I am going through this same decision tree with my kids right now (one HS senior and one entering 2nd year of college).  I support Warren, I don't really care about "fairness" of her student plan for reasons that I would be happy to get into but I think it would be better to bump the big thread we had when she first announced the plan.  There was a lot of good discussion in there that covered a lot of the points we would be going over.
Really? You were in that thread with sixty-one posts to your credit?

🤔

formerfourdigit said:
No I might have made a couple.  Not sure your point? 

I just feel like this thread goes off the rails pretty quickly.  I hope I didn't offend.
My point is that there are so many aliases that when a person with sixty-one total posts talks like he's been here forever it's likely somebody who is banned, on vacation, whatever you want to call it.

You didn't offend -- not at all. As far as derailed quickly, you're probably right.

I remember that thread. Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:
formerfourdigit said:
Wealth tax.  Repeal of the Trump/Ryan tax cuts. Slash defense budget.

These are the things that I would expect a Warren administration to hit the ground running with.  It's a "big government" solution but let's stop with the "free stuff" goofing.  If there are plans we should be discussing in here it's these IMO.
The only way any of this actually happens is if Dems win the Senate and then eliminate the filibuster.  Chances of all that happening seem somewhat unlikely.  Also, I'd expect the current Supreme Court to strike down the wealth tax if it ever passed.  Maybe we'll get lucky and one of the Republican-appointed justices will leave the bench in 2020 but I wouldn't count on it.  

The only way any of this actually happens is if Dems win the Senate and then eliminate the filibuster.  Chances of all that happening seem somewhat unlikely.  Also, I'd expect the current Supreme Court to strike down the wealth tax if it ever passed.  Maybe we'll get lucky and one of the Republican-appointed justices will leave the bench in 2020 but I wouldn't count on it.  
Am I wrong to think that having someone at the top pushing this proposal every day would be enough to start to affect some real changes in the way our government works despite all the obstacles?  

Am I wrong to think that having someone at the top pushing this proposal every day would be enough to start to affect some real changes in the way our government works despite all the obstacles?  
I don't think you're necessarily wrong that having Warren with the bully pulpit would make some difference for the public and hopefully start moving the needle in the right direction.  But Republicans are just locked in on never raising taxes.  I just don't see any Republican out there that would vote to raise taxes under pretty much any circumstance.

I don't think you're necessarily wrong that having Warren with the bully pulpit would make some difference for the public and hopefully start moving the needle in the right direction.  But Republicans are just locked in on never raising taxes.  I just don't see any Republican out there that would vote to raise taxes under pretty much any circumstance.
George H.W. Bush got one term.

formerfourdigit said:
Wealth tax.  Repeal of the Trump/Ryan tax cuts. Slash defense budget.

These are the things that I would expect a Warren administration to hit the ground running with.  It's a "big government" solution but let's stop with the "free stuff" goofing.  If there are plans we should be discussing in here it's these IMO.
Sounds good to me and you can eliminate numerous dept like education, agriculture, on and on but we both know it will never happen.  I listen to the Democrat debates and that’s what it sounds like.  Who can promise the most.  

Why did she do the DNA test last fall if she was going to do this? Talk about creating your own problems. 

Democratic Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren has removed sections of her campaign website that had disputed claims about her heritage, including the results of a DNA test that showed she had scant traces of Native American ancestry.

Until Sunday, Warren’s website included a video of the Democrat receiving the results of the genetic test, which showed that she had between 1/64th and 1/1024th Native American ancestry. Warren initially touted the results as a vindication of her claims throughout her academic career that she has Cherokee ancestry.

n April 1986, Warren listed herself as “Native American” on a Texas state bar registration form. Harvard Law School, where Warren taught before entering politics, referred to Warren as the school’s only Native American professor as recently as 1996. Warren also listed herself as a minority in the Association of American Law Schools directory from 1986 to 1994
https://dailycaller.com/2019/08/19/elizabeth-warren-scrubs-website-dna-results/

Tim Black @RealTimBlack

Elizabeth Warren blames big corporations and corruption for lack of action, but if she were the nominee she would take money from those same corruptible influences. We are to believe she’ll take their money, but won’t listen to them. She sounds like Hillary. #CNNClimateTownHall

I haven't decided yet. Want to see it play out. I have said for years that Warren's lecturing, school marmish tone is a major turn off for me. I have serious problems with seeing her being elected.  
I'll agree with you there.  I still think she showed way better than either Biden or Sanders tonight.

I haven't decided yet. Want to see it play out. I have said for years that Warren's lecturing, school marmish tone is a major turn off for me. I have serious problems with seeing her being elected.  
This doesn't bother me at all. I appreciate her willingness to explain her positions and ideas in the most plainspoken way.

Yeah that's great but what about her policy?
Almost all of her policy is irrelevant, at least for 2020. If she is elected she won’t be able to get any of it passed. I fear her solution will be to follow Trump’s lead (and Obama’s) and simply seize as much power as she can. But it still won’t matter much. 

I’ve had several people tell me this. 
That is my perception since I first became aware of her in her run against Scott Brown. I feel I am being talked down to and I resent it.

That said, if she becomes the Democratic nominee will I vote for her? Of course.

It is not plain spoken, it comes across and condescending and lecturing.
You need more older women in your life. Women where I grew up - the South - are very similar to Warren. Saying she's "condescending" and "lecturing" is just another iteration of the same critique HRC got, imo. She's competent and in stark contrast from many candidates.

You need more older women in your life. Women where I grew up - the South - are very similar to Warren. Saying she's "condescending" and "lecturing" is just another iteration of the same critique HRC got, imo. She's competent and in stark contrast from many candidates.
Talk about condescending... :coffee:

This makes zero sense to me and makes me think that it is a Trump vote for you regardless
Nah, I said either in this thread or another thread just yesterday, it's only Bernie or Trump for me. No need to be a coward and run right back to the system that brought us Trump because we're afraid to try new things. And that seems to be what everyone is trying to do. Run right back to the familiar, clearly broken system that is helping almost nobody.

Nah, I said either in this thread or another thread just yesterday, it's only Bernie or Trump for me. No need to be a coward and run right back to the system that brought us Trump because we're afraid to try new things. And that seems to be what everyone is trying to do. Run right back to the familiar, clearly broken system that is helping almost nobody.
My reason for voting against Trump has nothing to do with being "afraid to try new things."  

Yes, if Warren is the nominee I also plan to vote for the lying corrupt incompetent baby jail guy who is currently diverting money from schools and day cares for military families in order to pay for a token portion of a pointless border wall because Warren is too close to "the system" or something.  I say this even though Warren has repeatedly declared the same thing I just did about "the system" almost verbatim.

Your vote won't matter.

Yes, if Warren is the nominee I also plan to vote for the lying corrupt incompetent baby jail guy who is currently diverting money from schools and day cares for military families in order to pay for a token portion of a pointless border wall because Warren is too close to "the system" or something.  I say this even though Warren has repeatedly declared the same thing I just did about "the system" almost verbatim.
You forgot to add she's also recently been falling back on the old "access to healthcare" trope which greatly diminishes my faith in her. Haven't seen Bern doing that.

You forgot to add she's also recently been falling back on the old "access to healthcare" trope which greatly diminishes my faith in her. Haven't seen Bern doing that.
 Ah, OK. Now I totally understand why you would vote for the corrupt incompetent cruel bigot over her. She's tweaked her rhetoric on universal health care!

Thanks for clearing it up. My apologies for questioning your logic.

That is my perception since I first became aware of her in her run against Scott Brown. I feel I am being talked down to and I resent it.

That said, if she becomes the Democratic nominee will I vote for her? Of course.
Started before that. Probably not too hard to find video of her chastizing Geithner and others at the TARP hearings. (before she ran for Senate)

Last edited by a moderator:
Started before that. Probably not too hard to find video of her chastizing Geithner at the TARP hearings. 
As opposed to all the other Senators and Representatives, who usually take on a gentle and deferential tone when they question agency officials who are doing things they strongly disagree with during oversight hearings.

As I wrote, I’ve heard others complain about her schoolmarmish tone. Personally I don’t care. I like her. I heard some of what she said last night, and as always I was impressed. I disagree with her on some key issues but that doesn’t matter. She’s smart, a good person, and I think she’d be a fine President. 

My problem is that I’m obsessed with Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan. The Dems have to win these to beat Trump; that’s my bottom line. I’m just afraid she can’t do it. 

@TobiasFunke She was not a member of Congress at the time
Thanks for the correction.  Not sure how that changes things, though. She was the leader of an oversight panel appointed by Congress.

I gotta be honest- I really don't see where this "Warren is condescending" comes from, since she doesn't strike me as any more condescending than any other politician, in fact if anything I'd say she's less so. Or more accurately, I have my suspicions about where it comes from but I really don't want my suspicions to be true so I'm hoping there's another explanation.  It's not like she punches down or something.  I mean, Geithner was the frigging Secretary of the Treasury.

It comes from watching and listening to her over the last ten years. YMMV. But, like squistion, I'm not picking Trump over her;just hoping for a better choice.

As I wrote, I’ve heard others complain about her schoolmarmish tone. Personally I don’t care. I like her. I heard some of what she said last night, and as always I was impressed. I disagree with her on some key issues but that doesn’t matter. She’s smart, a good person, and I think she’d be a fine President. 

My problem is that I’m obsessed with Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan. The Dems have to win these to beat Trump; that’s my bottom line. I’m just afraid she can’t do it. 
Regarding my suspicions- has anyone ever heard a complaint that a male politician's tone reminded them of a schoolteacher?  I certainly haven't.

Users who are viewing this thread